The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective violent:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective violent
- Phrases with Violent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Violent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Violent
- Photos about Violent
- Video language resources about Violent
- Sign language
- Quotes about Violent
- Scrabble value of V4I1O1L1E1N1T1
- Anagrams of VIOLENT
- Share this page
Violent is sometimes a misspelling of violence.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective violent
What does violent mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more violent / most violent
- acting with or marked by or resulting from great force or energy or emotional intensity
- examples: a violent attack | a violent person | violent feelings | a violent rage | felt a violent dislike
- antonym: nonviolent
- similar: convulsive; ferocious / fierce / furious / savage; hot / raging; knock-down-and-drag-out / knockdown-dragout; lashing; lurid; rampageous; ruffianly / tough; slam-bang
- see also: hostile; unpeaceful
- effected by force or injury rather than natural causes
- example: a violent death
- similar: unnatural
- (of colors or sounds) intensely vivid or loud
- marked by extreme intensity of emotions or convictions; inclined to react violently; fervid
- characterized by violence or bloodshed
Alternative definition of the adjective violent
- Involving extreme force or motion.
- antonym: peaceful
- Involving physical conflict.
- Likely to use physical force.
- Intensely vivid.
- countries: Canada, Norway
- languages: Norwegian Language, English Language
- producer: Josh Huculiak
- executive producers: Amy Darling & Brent Hodge
- written by Andrew Huculiak, Josh Huculiak, Cayne McKenzie & Joseph Schweers
- music by We Are the City
- genre: Drama
- released on
- read more about Violent (film)
- "Violent" is New Zealand band Stellar*'s fourth single, and their third single from their debut album Mix. This song won the "Single of the Year" award at the 2000 New Zealand "Tui" Music Awards. The song was featured on the Nature's Best 2 compilation of what were voted the top 100 New Zealand songs from 1926 until 2001 by APRA to celebrate their 75th anniversary. Judging by the tracklist, Violent was placed at #46 in this list. The single spent six weeks within the top 20 in the RIANZ singles charts, peaking at #11. The music video to the song was directed by Jonathan King, and depicts the band playing within a small room, amongst other scenes such as one which Runga plays the role of a nurse in surgery.
- "Violent" is a 2005 album of Paraziţii.
- artist: Paraziții
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Violent" is a musical album of Massilia Sound System.
- also known as Violent / Qu'elle est bleue
- released in (23 years ago)
- "Violent" is a musical album of We Are the City.
- released in
- "Violent" is a musical album of Talk Less, Say More.
- released on
- "Violent" is a musical single of Stellar*.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Violent" is a musical album of Volcano.
- released in (15 years ago)
Phrases with Violent
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Violent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Bonnie S. Fisher, Steven P. Lab
Violent offenders are those convicted of such offenses as robbery, sexual assault, and murder. Many of these offenders are recidivists, ...
by Pascal James Imperato, Gavin H. Imperato
November: Violent student demonstrations and strikes take place throughout the country. Upperlevel schools are shut down. Three hundred student demonstrators are arrested and inducted into the army. December: The government meets ...
by Peter Childs, Michael Storry
Violent crimes have been on the increase in Britain over the past decade, and recently there has been a good deal of support for the argument that socio- economic inequality, unemployment and deprivation are the major cause of crime and ...
A new law dictionary ... (1792)
by Richard Burn, John Burn
PRESUMPTION, is a suppofition, opinion, or belief, previously formed, and is of three forts ; violent, probable, and light or temerary. Violent presumption oftentimes amounts to sull proof ; as if one be run through the body with a sword in an ...
by Walter C. Rucker, James N. Upton
Churches, religious associations, and civil rights organizations have also voiced concerns about violent racial disturbances; few sectors of American society have been unaffected by racial violence. This pervasive influence may be due to the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Violent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Violent
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Violent Affair.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Violent
Click on an item to play that video:
- Lockheed Martin: A Violent Definition of "Green"
The promotional video for Lockheed Martin's "Going Green" initiative, interspersed with a range of Lockheed Martin's own product videos, along with the ...
- Violent Meaning
Video shows what violent means. Involving extreme force or motion.. Involving physical conflict.. Likely to use physical force.. violent pronunciation. How to ...
- Violent Dialect
- Discovering the Meaning of Children's Violent Play: How to Reduce Violent Influences (2001)
Several scholars (e.g. Freedman, 2002; Olson, 2004; Savage, 2004) have pointed out that as media content has increased in violence in the past few decades, ...
- Ryan Harris Violent Conduct Explanation
- Luke Slade Violent Conduct Explanation
- Download Under Deadman's Skin Discovering the Meaning of Children's Violent Play pdf
- Kelly Bryson, Non Violent Communication. NVC.The Language of Love.
Kelly Bryson MA, MFT is a licensed psychotherapist and authorized trainer for the international Center for Nonviolent Communication (a nonprofit organization).
- ESL News and Politics - The Violent Images From Brazil That You Didn't See In the Media
- Disempowering Bullying, Violence and Violent Language
Occupy Tucson has been having trouble with bullying and violent language. It's time to put an end to this violence!
- Keep it clean violent language fires up the competition
See also the pronunciation examples of Violent!
Violent sign language interpreter's access to Obama triggers investigation
Violent sign language interpreter's access to Obama triggers investigation The vetting of a sign language interpreter who got within three feet of world leaders ...
Quotes about Violent
Scrabble value of V4I1O1L1E1N1T1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of VIOLENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Violent!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Violent to see it in context!