The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun vault:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun vault
- Definition of the verb vault
- Phrases with Vault
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Vault
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Vault
- Photos about Vault
- Video language resources about Vault
- Quotes about Vault
- Scrabble value of V4A1U1L1T1
- Anagrams of VAULT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun vault
What does vault mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: vaults
- a burial chamber (usually underground)
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of vault: burial vault
- more generic terms: burial chamber / sepulcher / sepulchre / sepulture = a chamber that is used as a grave
- more specific terms:
- a strongroom or compartment (often made of steel) for safekeeping of valuables
- an arched brick or stone ceiling or roof
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: roof = a protective covering that covers or forms the top of a building
- more specific terms:
- part: fenestella / lunette = oval or circular opening
- the act of jumping over an obstacle
Alternative definition of the noun vault
- An arched structure of masonry, forming a ceiling or canopy.
- A structure resembling a vault, especially [qualifier, poetic] that formed by the sky.
- A secure, enclosed area, especially an underground room used for burial, or to store valuables, wine etc.
- An act of vaulting; a leap or jump.
- [gymnastics] An event in gymanstics performed on a vaulting horse.
Specialised definition of the noun vault
Glossary of sports
jumping discipline of gymnastics for men and women; men jump over the vault (side- or long horse, also pommel-horse without the pommels) positioned lengthways with respect to the direction of the nm-up; for women the vault is positioned sideways. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Glossary of sports / artistic gymnastics
an event performed over the vaulting horse by both men and women. The gymnast races down a runway, vaults from a springboard onto the horse, landing with the hands, and then vaults off to a standing position. Each competitor performs two vaults and the scores are averaged
Definition of the verb vault
What does vault mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: vaulted | vaulting | vaults
- jump across or leap over (an obstacle)
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] [Path Preposition] [Location] There jumped a little white rabbit out of the box there [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location, concrete] [Theme, indefinite] There jumped out of the box a little white rabbit [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] He skated Penny | Tom jumped the horse [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] Tom jumped the horse over the fence [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] The horse jumped [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Location, concrete] The horse jumped the stream [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] to / into [Oblique 2, state] Claire skated her skates blades to shreds | She waltzed herself to sickness | We walked ourselves into a state of exhaustion [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] [Path Preposition] [Oblique 2] Tom ran the soles off his shoes [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] The horse jumped over the fence [Path Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] Out of the box jumped a little white rabbit
Verbs of Motion (with the same syntax): amble, backpack, bolt, bounce, bound, bowl, canter, carom, cavort, charge, clamber, climb, clump, coast, crawl, creep, dart, dash, dodder, drift, file, flit, float, fly, frolic, gallop, gambol, glide, goose step, hasten, hike, hobble, hop, hurry, hurtle, inch, jog, journey, jump, leap, limp, lollop, lope, lumber, lurch, march, meander, mince, mosey, nip, pad, parade, perambulate, plod, prance, promenade, prowl, race, ramble, roam, roll, romp, rove, run, rush, sashay, saunter, scamper, scoot, scram, scramble, scud, scurry, scuttle, shamble, shuffle, sidle, skedaddle, skip, skitter, skulk, sleepwalk, slide, slink, slither, slog, slouch, sneak, somersault, speed, stagger, step, stomp, stray, streak, stride, stroll, strut, stumble, stump, swagger, sweep, swerve, swim, tack, tear, tiptoe, toddle, toil, totter, tour, traipse, tramp, travel, trek, troop, trot, trudge, trundle, waddle, wade, walk, wander, weave, whiz, zigzag, zoom.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of vault: overleap
- more generic words: bound / jump / leap / spring = move forward by leaps and bounds
- more specific word: hurdle = jump a hurdle
- bound vigorously
Alternative definition of the verb vault
- [transitive] To build as, or cover with a vault.
- [ambitransitive] To jump or leap over.
Vault was a carbonated beverage that was released by The Coca-Cola Company in June 2005 and marketed until December 2011. It was touted as an artificially flavored hybrid energy soda. Coca-Cola was marketing Vault as a combination with the slogan "Drinks like a Soda, Kicks like an Energy Drink," as well as "The Taste. The Quench. The Kick.
- official website: drinkvault.com
"Vault" is a public sculpture located in Melbourne, Australia. The work of sculptor Ron Robertson-Swann, Vault is an abstract, minimalist sculpture built of large thick flat polygonal sheets of prefabricated steel, assembled in a way that suggests dynamic movement. It is painted yellow.
- completed in (35 years ago)
- "Vault" a.k.a. "Vault: Def Leppard Greatest Hits (1980–1995)": Vault: Def Leppard Greatest Hits (1980–1995) is the first greatest hits album and the second compilation album by English hard rock band Def Leppard. The album was originally released in the band's home country on 23 October 1995 by Mercury Records. It was released in North America a few days later by the same label. Vault went on to be certified gold in four countries, platinum in three and multi-platinum in two.
- read more about Vault: Def Leppard Greatest Hits (1980–1995)
- "Vault" is a 2012 compilation album by Strap on Halo.
- released in
- "Vault" is a composition.
- music by Matt Uelmen
- "Vault" a.k.a. "The Vault" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- read more about The Vault
- Vault, founded in 1996, is an employment and recruiting company based in New York City. They operate a fee-based site and publish a number of guides offering advice and information about major employers in such fields as business, banking, consulting and law.
- Vault is a brand.
Who is Vault?
Vault is a musical artist.
- Vault is an architectural term for an arched form used to provide a space with a ceiling or roof. The parts of a vault exert lateral thrust that requires a counter resistance. When vaults are built underground, the ground gives all the resistance required. However, when the vault is built above ground, various replacements are employed to supply the needed resistance. An example is the thicker walls used in the case of barrel or continuous vaults. Buttresses are used to supply resistance when intersecting vaults are employed.
- also known as เพดานโค้ง, 둥근 천장
- The vault is an artistic gymnastics apparatus on which gymnasts perform, as well as the skill performed using that apparatus. Vaulting is also the action of performing a vault. Both male and female gymnasts perform the vault. The English abbreviation for the event in gymnastics scoring is VT.
- also known as 跳马
- The Vault is the widely used nickname of a fictional defunct prison facility for technological-based superhuman criminals in Marvel Comics. The prison's full official name is the United States Maximum Security Installation for the Incarceration of Superhuman Criminals.
- The vault or vault cytoplasmic ribonucleoprotein is a eukaryotic organelle whose function is not fully understood. Discovered and successfully isolated by cell biologist Nancy Kedersha and biochemist Leonard Rome of the UCLA School of Medicine in the 1980s, vaults are cytoplasmic organelles which under an electron microscope resemble the arches of a cathedral vault, with 39-fold symmetry. They are present in many types of eukaryotic cells and appear to be highly conserved amongst eukaryotes. Vaults become part of lipid rafts where they may play a role fighting pathogens.
- also known as 穹窿体
- Vault is a commercial, proprietary revision control system by SourceGear LLC which markets its product as a replacement for Microsoft's Visual Source Safe.
- developer: SourceGear LLC
- genre: Revision control
- license: Proprietary software, Commercial software
- official website: www.sourcegear.com/vault
- Vault: In various urban activities, a vault is any type of movement that involves overcoming an obstacle by jumping, leaping, climbing or diving over an obstacle while using their feet, hands or not touching it at all. Although Parkour doesn't involve the idea of set movements, traceurs use similar ways of moving to quickly and efficiently pass over obstacles.
Phrases with Vault
Phrases starting with the word Vault:
Phrases ending with the word Vault:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Vault
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Containing a New and Complete System of Lines for Stone-cutting. For the Use of Workmen by Peter Nicholson
A simple vault is a mass of bricks, or stones, forming a concavity over a hollow, and extending between two opposite walls, which are generally parallel, or otherwise supported upon a circular wall. The concave surface towards the hollow is ...
A Cookbook and Culinary Survival Guide by Lauren Wilson, Kristian Bauthus
A seed vault is a crucial addition to any well-stocked safe house, and a scaled- down mini vault is an excellent item to tuck into your bug-out bag. Seeds can also come in handy for quick and easy sprouting (see Sprouting for Food, page 143)! If ...
Understanding Architecture (2005)
An Introduction to Architecture and Architectural History by Hazel Conway, Rowan Roenisch
A vault is an arched roof or ceiling. It may be tunnel-shaped or it may...
The Mladec Caves and Their Remains by Maria Teschler-Nicola
The Mladecˇ 6 vault is the second adult of the triple burial from the small Quarry Cave (Figs. 7, 8, 10 and 13). We studied the...
The vault is an adult male, similar in many respects to Mladecˇ 5, but less complete. Szombathy reconstructed it out ...
by Curtis Waguespack
Vault Autodesk Vault is an easytouse datamanagementtool that integratesworkcreated with Inventor, Inventor Professional, AutoCAD Mechanical, and AutoCAD Electrical. It includes features thatallow design teams totrack workinprogress and ...
British Encyclopedia (1819)
Or, Dictionary of Arts and Sciences, Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge by William Nicholson
A vault is an interior roof over an apartment, rising in a concave direction from the walls which support it, either meeting...
A cylindrical vault is a plain vault, the figure of the extradoes of which is a portion of a cylindric surface, terminating on the ...
by Howard Hooper
Secure Desktop (Vault) The Vault is a secure partition on the remote user's device that is created during CSD installation and before login, which then provides a Secure Desktop area that a user accesses when using CSD. CSD encrypts any ...
Mr. Fairbanks (2010)
by Ryan Keyser
“Fairbanks Vault is the most superb bank in the state of Massachusetts. There are only two of these banks that have been built. However, with a strong economy like this, it will soon be nationwide.It is the most popular bank inthe state, and it is ...
by Alessandro Bucci, Luigi Mollo
Guastella THE COVERING IN EXTRADOS VAULT BUILT IN THE SOUTH OF ITALY CASES STUDY: CAPRI AND LIPARI The extrados vault is a typical kind of manufacture of many Mediterranean ...
The Lotus Quest (2010)
In Search of the Sacred Flower by Mark Griffiths
The vault is a room-sized safe, complete with bomb-proof door and combination lock. Its interior is more civilised than the mise en scene for the usual crime caper - softly lit, floored and shelved with polished hardwood, and atmospherically ...
by Dan Edwardes
A vault is a movement that allows you to move over an obstacle and keep moving . A vault is normally used for obstacles that are at chest height. Most vaults involve jumping over an obstacle while placing the hands on it for control and ...
by Cyril M. Harris
vault. bar post One of the posts driven into the ground to form the sides of a field gate. barred-and-braced gate A gate with a diagonal brace to reinforce the horizontal timbers. barred gate A gate with one or more horizontal timber rails. barrel ...
With 1880 Line Drawings of Arches, Domes, Doorways, Facades, Gables, Windows, etc. by John Theodore Haneman
The vault was primarily a series of arches in combination used as a covering, as a ceiling or a roof. It may also be used to carry ...
Ultimate Visual Dictionary (2017)
Transverse rib Temporary brace Barrel vault Temporary Series of plain fascias Archivolt decorated with plain fascias Abutment Dentil Stretcher Header Groin Right-angled intersection Lantern Pedestal of lantern Coved dome Lesene ...
by James Stevens Curl
vault 812 domical: rises from a polygonal or square base, and is not a true dome, having curved surfaces (*cells, *severies, or *webs) meeting at precise lines (* groins).Also called a Cloister-vault (USA); Domical vault.The elements over the ...
by Nikolas Davies, Erkki Jokiniemi
ribbed and twisted bar T FOLDED SLABSTRUCTURES 1 right prismatic folded slab, prismatic barrel vault with solid diaphragm 2 prismoidal folded slab, hipped folded slab 3 folded slab with rigid frame COMBINED FOLDED SLABS 4 folded ...
the encyclopedia americana (1920)
Tunnel or Barrel Vault. vaults may, however, have cross sections semi- elliptical, segmental, pointed, three centred, etc. Barrel vaults date back at least to 800 B.C. as found in the pyramids at Meroc and at Nim- roud. In the case of the aisles of ...
A Description of Tools, Instruments, Machines, Processes, and Engineering; History of Inventions; General Technological Vocabulary; and Digest of Mechanical Appliances in Science and the Arts by Edward Henry Knight
VAULT. 2694 VEGETABLE-EXTRACTS APPARATUS. tho Tat Is a Bcries of horizontal and vertical concentric perforated copper partitions, which force the contents to take a devious course. The vat and retort are surrounded by steam- jackets.
by Khosrow-Pour, Mehdi
Fuzzy vault technique was first proposed by Juels et al., (2002) and was subsequently employed successfully by many researchers (shown in following sections) to encrypt a variety of biometric traits including fingerprint, face, iris and retina.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Vault
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Vault
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: tatto.be
Photo credit: Yann Gueganic
Photo credit: Editor B
Photo credit: avilasal
Photo credit: tatto.be
Photo credit: Graniers
Orkney Springs Virginia
National Register of Historic Places
Photo credit: Steve Snodgrass
Photo credit: JMacPherson
Photo credit: jchapiewsky
Photo credit: Jonathan Gross
Photo credit: Paris on Ponce & Le Maison Rouge
- A Vault
Photo credit: erix!
- Vault Door
Photo credit: Rex Roof
- DFM VAULT Boston Street Graffiti
This photo is licensed under a Creative Commons license. Please credit Rob Larsen with a link to Drunkenfist.com, if you use this photo anywhere.
Photo credit: Rob React
- Goldie & McCulloch Vault
Goldie & McCulloch Co., Ltd. - Galt Ontario
Photo credit: john.d.mcdonald
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Vault
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sabian Vault Definition Ride 21" Carmine Appice - BATERACLUBE.com.br
Sabian Vault Definition Ride 21" Carmine Appice Soundcheck realizado no showroom do BATERA CLUBE em Guarulhos-SP Brasil, no ano de 2010.
- Simple explanation on how searching works | Autodesk Vault
Searching for files in Vault can often return questionable results, this video will explain why it does that and how it searches for stuff based on the info you give it.
- Vault Meaning
Video shows what vault means. An arched structure of masonry, forming a ceiling or canopy.. A structure resembling a vault, especially that formed by the sky.
- WCh'13 Antwerp | Explanation of Vault | Jimmy Verbaeys
- The Dream Vault Cycle - A Short Explanation
LA MAMA PRESENTS: THE DREAM VAULT CYCLE October 24, 2014 - November 2, 2014 Tickets available at...
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus | EXTRA ~ The "Owl Dialect" Vault
Thievius Raccoonus Extras ~
- Vault 101 Speed Storage and Glitch Explanation (Twitch Highlight)
- WCh'13 Antwerp | Explanation of Vault | Eline Vandersteen
- Vault - ESL Vocabulary
- Goliath - Vault of the Adepts (Re-Definition)
Goliath - The Message Carriers...
- ESL Go4Heroes Americas Cup 13 - The Rising Taquitos vs Vault
The Go4Heroes Americas Cup #13 for Heroes of the Storm Alpha had an 26 team bracket go head to head for guts and glory! Tournament: ...
- Boice's Dictionary Kong Vault
- Word Vault for iPhone - A Dictionary That Helps You Remember Everything You Look Up
- Vault Boy Speedart (Only Banner) Check Description
- Job Description Of A Casino Vault Attendant
- Job Description For A Vault Teller
- Vault - ESL Vocabulary
- Use Plain Language in Business! Success Mentors International: From The Vault
In this edition of Success Mentors International: From The Vault, Norm Rebin relates the importance of using plain language with the people that you deal with.
- Reverse vault (sort of) assistance. Read teh description for more details. Very rough vid.
See also the pronunciation examples of Vault!
Quotes about Vault
Inside this cringing vault
Impenetrable to demons
Angles flapped their wings
Fanning the inner turbulence
And the embers of suffering
And inside this vault
No one else has to know. (Norman Santos)
more quotes about vault...
Scrabble value of V4A1U1L1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of VAULT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Vault!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Vault to see it in context!