The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective unmanly and its most common antonym:
On this page:
Definition of the adjective unmanly
What does unmanly mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more unmanly / unmanlier | most unmanly / unmanliest
- not possessing qualities befitting a man
- lacking in courage and manly strength and resolution; contemptibly fearful
Alternative definition of the adjective unmanly
- [context: of a person] Showing characteristics that are not manly, such as being immature, effeminate or cowardly, which might be construed as an indicator of weakness or of baseness of character.
- Of or pertaining to something not human.
- [context: of a behaviour or action] Cowardly, base.
- [context: of a behaviour or action] Not acceptable of a man.
- [context: of a behaviour or action] Not becoming of a man.
Definition of the adverb unmanly
What does unmanly mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- without qualities thought to befit a man
- synonym of unmanly: unmanfully
Alternative definition of the adverb unmanly
- In a manner that is unmanly.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for unmanly
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
Unbecoming a hu* UNMANLY.
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
Unmanly is also equivalent to inhuman ...
by Samuel Johnson, John Walker, Robert S. Jameson
Admission of the qualities of a woman ; softness ; unmanly delicacy ; lascivousness ; loose pleasure. EFFEMINATE, (ef- fem'-e-nate) a. Having the qualities of a woman ; womanish ; voluptuous ; tender ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for unmanly
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about unmanly
Leo and the unmanly shamash
- Camera phone upload powered by ShoZu
Photo credit: Flushboy
Video about unmanly
Video shows what unmanly means. Showing characteristics that are not manly, such as being immature, effeminate or cowardly, which might be construed as an ...
Scrabble value of U1N1M3A1N1L1Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of unmanly to find many related words and phrases!