On this page:
Definition of the noun trillium family
What does trillium family mean as a name of something?
- small family of herbs having flowers with 3 petals and 3 sepals; in some classification systems considered a subfamily of the Liliaceae
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific name: Trilliaceae
- synonym of trillium family: family Trilliaceae
- more generic term: liliid monocot family = family of monocotyledonous plants of the subclass Liliidae
- member of: Liliales / order Liliales = an order of monocotyledonous plants including Amaryllidaceae and Liliaceae and Iridaceae
- member: genus Trillium = deciduous perennial herbs
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Trillium Family
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
e, the Trillium Family. Flowers usually bisexual. Perianth in six, sometimes eight divisions, colored or herbaceous. Stamens six, eight, or ten ; filaments subulate ; anthers linear, with a prolonged connective. Ovary free, three -, four-, ...
Trillium family, a group of plants including Trillium, formerly classed as a family Trilliaceae, or as a tribe Medeoleae. They belong to the family Convallariaceae. trillo (tril'ö)-n. [(It. trillo, trill : see trill2, n.] ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1914)
by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
Trillium family, a group of plants including Trillium, formerly classed as a family TrUliaeem, or as a tribe Medeolese. They belong to the family Convallariacess. trillo (tril'6), n. [< It. trillo, trill: see trill2, n.] ...
THE ENCYCLOPEDIA AMERICANA (1920)
The lily family in turn belongs to the Order Liliales, which contains in addition to the Lily family the Trillium family (Trilliacea), the Lily of the Valley family ( Convallarujcete) and other rather closely allied families. Some families of flowering plants ...
A Work of Universal Reference in All Departments of Knowledge with a New Atlas of the World
Trillium family, a group of liliaceous plants including Trillium, formerly classed as an order Trilliaceae, now as a tribe Medeolese. trillo (tril'ö), n. [(It. trillo, trill: see trill2, n.] Same as trill2. Blount, Glossographia (1656). Trilobate Leaf of Ipomaa ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Trillium Family
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Trillium Family to find many related words and phrases!