Trail appears in the following tongue twister:
- Tricky Tristan tracked a trail of tiny turtles.
How many tiny turtles did Tricky Tristan track?
Tricky Tristan tracked twenty two tiny turtles;
that's how many tiny turtles tricky Tristan tracked.
Trail appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- May a liar trot, or trail a yam?
- No spoor trail alerts a wastrel: a liar troops on.
- "I let one man I’d named as a liar trek," I hailed Eli, "A hiker trail as a demand I name not Eli!"
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun trail:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb trail:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun trail
- Definition of the verb trail
- Phrases with Trail
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Trail
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Trail
- Photos about Trail
- Videos about Trail
- Quotes about Trail
- Scrabble value of T1R1A1I1L1
- Anagrams of TRAIL
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun trail
What does trail mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: trails
- a track or mark left by something that has passed
- examples: there as a trail of blood | a tear left its trail on her cheek
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- more generic words: course / path / track = a line or route along which something travels or moves
- more specific words:
- a path or track roughly blazed through wild or hilly country
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic terms: cart track / cartroad / track = any road or path affording passage especially a rough one
- more specific terms:
- cattle trail = a trail over which cattle were driven to market
- deer trail = a trail worn by the passage of deer
- horse-trail = a trail for horses
- Indian trail = a trail through the wilderness worn by Amerindians
- mountain trail = a trail through mountainous country
- ski trail / ski run = trail or slope prepared for skiing
- evidence pointing to a possible solution
Alternative definition of the noun trail
- The track or indication marking the route followed by something that has passed, such as the footprints of animal on land or the contrail of an airplane in the sky.
- synonym: spoor
- A route for travel over land, especially a narrow, unpaved pathway for use by hikers, horseback riders, etc.
- A trailer broadcast on television for a forthcoming film or programme.
Specialised definition of the noun trail
Glossary of sports
a path or track (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / bowls
the jack a bowler trails the jack when a bowl in motion hits it flush and moves it away in the same direction as the path of the bowl (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb trail
What does trail mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: trailed | trailing | trails
- to lag or linger behind
- go after with the intent to catch
- example: They trail the car down the avenue
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] Jackie accompanied Rose | Jackie chased the thief [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] Jackie chased the thief down the street [Agent - being] [Verb] after [Theme] Jackie chased after the thief
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of trail: chase / chase after / dog / give chase / go after / tag / tail / track
- more generic words: follow / pursue = follow in or as if in pursuit
- more specific terms:
- move, proceed, or walk draggingly or slowly
- hang down so as to drag along the ground
- example: The bride's veiled trailed along the ground
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- drag loosely along a surface; allow to sweep the ground
Alternative definition of the verb trail
- [transitive] To follow behind (someone or something); to tail (someone or something).
- [transitive] To drag (something) behind on the ground.
- [transitive] To leave (a trail of).
- [transitive] To show a trailer of (a film, TV show etc.); to release or publish a preview of (a report etc.) in advance of the full publication.
- Trail is a city in the West Kootenay region of the Interior of British Columbia, Canada. It was named after the Dewdney Trail, which passed through the area.
- Trail is a city in Polk County, Minnesota, United States. It is part of the Grand Forks, ND-MN Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 46 at the 2010 census.
- Trail a.k.a. Trail, Oregon: Trail is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Jackson County, Oregon, United States. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office with a ZIP code of 97541. Trail lies at the intersection of Oregon Route 227 and Oregon Route 62, just north of Shady Cove and west of Lost Creek Lake, which is a reservoir of the Rogue River. Trail is located around the mouth of Trail Creek at the Rogue River.
- read more about Trail, Oregon
- Trail, Missouri is an unincorporated community in northern Ozark County. It is located about twenty-two miles northeast of Gainesville. Access is from Missouri Route 14 in Douglas County south via route AC. The village site is located adjacent to Trail Creek. Trail Creek flows into Bryant Creek about one mile to the southwest. The Trail cemetery lies about a mile to the northeast along Trail Creek.
There are other places with in their name, like Deer Trail, Banff Trail, Bruce Trail, Cabot Trail, Camel Trail, River Trail, Tarka Trail, Glassy Trail, Heysen Trail, Indian Trail, Mohawk Trail, Monsal Trail, Oregon Trail, Seaway Trail, Arizona Trail, Bozeman Trail, Freedom Trail.
- Trail is a musical group.
- albums: "Prism", "City", "To the Rest of the World"
- official website: www.trailmusic.co.uk
- Trail a.k.a. Trial is a musical group.
- read more about Trial
There are other groups with in their name, like Jet Trail, Witch Trail, Future Trail, Sunset Trail, Gilmore Trail, Whiskey Trail, A Cosmic Trail, Mushroom Trail, The Trail Band, Trail of Tears, The Maple Trail, Trail of Murder, The Kissaway Trail and The Loveless and Goodnight Trail.
Trail is a fictional character from the 2009 film House Broken.
"Trail" is a musical album of Jimmy LaFave.
- released on (16 years ago)
"TRAIL" is an indie film directed by 波田野 州平.
- TRAIL: In the field of cell biology, TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand, is a protein functioning as a ligand that induces the process of cell death called apoptosis.
- Trail is a competitive class at horse shows where horses and riders in western-style attire and horse tack navigate a series of obstacles. Contestants ride the course one at a time. Originally designed to resemble situations a horse and rider might actually encounter when on a trail in a natural habitat, modern trail classes now tend to focus more heavily on agility and manners, with courses bearing very little resemblance to real-world natural trails.
- Trail a.k.a. Tnfsf10 is a protein.
- read more about Tnfsf10
- Trail is a canonical version, musical recording.
Phrases with Trail
Phrases starting with the word Trail:
Phrases ending with the word Trail:
- ski trail
- deer trail
- star trail
- Audit trail
- paper trail
- Vapor Trail
- cattle trail
- Hippie trail
- indian trail
- Vapour Trail
- Blaze a Trail
- Hit the Trail
- chisholm trail
- iditarod trail
View more phrases with the word Trail in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Trail
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Environmental Impact Statement
The Lake Belt Trail is a 31-mile non-motorized, multiuse path occupying the Dade-Broward Levee and the FPL easement.
Moving to the Mountains (2014)
Your Guide to Retiring or Relocating to Asheville and the North Carolina Mountains by Lan Sluder
Andrews Bald Trail is a moderate 3.5-mile roundtrip hike starting at the parking lot of Clingmans Dome. At the grassy...
Oconaluftee River Trail is an easy 3-mile mostly level walk beginning at the Oconaluftee Visitors Center near Cherokee.
by Hiram Rogers
The Dutchman Loop Trail is a 1.25-mile circuit from the campground on Deerfield Lake. The Pioneer Discovery Trail is a 0.2-mile wheelchair accessible trail that starts from the entrance of the Sheridan Lake Campground. The Veterans Point ...
by Paul Thede, Lee Parks
Trail is a measurement of the length of the lever arm that provides the self- centering torque on the front wheel. total...
by Let's Go Inc.
Imus Creek Trail is an interpretive hike that offers great views of the lake, starting behind the Golden West Visitor Center...
An Economic Development Perspective by OECD
The border trail is a tentative to make use ofamenities as a means for sustainable economic development in a region whose economic resources are otherwise rather restricted. The border trail is an idea that is quite new for the Swiss.
by James Andrews, Kenneth Wise
The Lakeshore Trail is a Park Service innovation, pieced together from disused roadways, old manways, newly graded trail, and...
by Melissa Gaskill
The Beech Woods Trail is a 1-mile loop in the Beech Creek Unit, and the Big Sandy Creek Horse/Bike Trail is the longest at 18 miles and crosses upland pine forests and beech/magnolia/loblolly pine slopes as well as a floodplain forest.
by Tricia Cornell
The six-mile Brule Lake trail is a little-used alternate route to the summit starting to the west on Forest Road 326.
The daniels Lake trail is an easy 1.5-mile round-trip stroll from near the end of County Highway 66 to the shore of its namesake lake.
Environmental Impact Statement
The Crag Crest National Recreation Trail is a 10 mile loop trail offering many scenic vistas and a unique display of geologic history on the Grand Mesa. It includes one trailhead (50 PAOT), two campgrounds (85 PAOT), and one boat ramp (25 ...
Environmental Impact Statement
The Wilson Creek trail is a single-track trail open to motorized use that is in poor shape, thus use is light by advanced motorcyclists. o The Spring Creek trail is the historic road into the upper Whitetail area. Lack of maintenance has caused ...
Ecstatic Trails (2002)
The 52 Best Day Hikes and Nature Walks In and Around Los Angeles by Rob Campbell
The Sturtevant Trail is the one you'll take back down to Chantry Flat. For now, stop and have a picnic. The astronomical museum that you pass is open only on weekends from one RM. to four P.M. Continue on the paved road past the solar ...
A Guide to the Parks' Greatest Hiking Adventures by Erik Molvar
Trail leaves boardwalk and crosses Avalanche Creek. Junction with Avalanche Creek Trail. Turn left for Avalanche Lake. 2.3 Avalanche Lake (foot). 3.1 Avalanche Lake (head). Additional Hikes The Huckleberry Fire Trail is a self- guiding ...
The Ultimate Insider's Guide to the Greatest Experiences Around the World by Peter Greenberg
The Fletcher Canyon trail is an easy option for any age, stretching nearly 2 miles one way at a gentle elevation. Shenandoah National Park in Virginia is an exceptionally familyfriendly destination, with junior ranger programs, nature ...
Rail-Trails Southeast (2007)
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North and South Carolina, Tennessee by Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
n northeast Alabama, the nearly 33-mile Chief Ladiga Trail is a regional playground that passes through welcoming towns and pastoral landscapes. Following a former CSX railroad corridor, the rail-trail is named for the Creek Indian leader ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc
The Oregon Trail began in the U.S. state of Missouri and ended in what is now Oregon. Baseball great Satchel Paige entered the major leagues in 1948, ...
Volume 16: Sports and Recreation by Harvey H. Jackson III
Appalachian Trail The Appalachian Trail, a 2,178-mile footpath traversing the mountains from Maine to Georgia,
Often referred to as the longest and skinniest National Park, the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) crosses 14 states and more than 60 ...
A-Z Guide - Barrel Racing, Breeds, Cinch, Cowboy Curtain, Dressage, Driving, Foaling, Gaits, Grooming, Legging Up, Mustang, Piebald, Reining, Snaffle Bits, Steeple-Chasing, Tail Braiding, Trail Riding, English and Western, and So Much More by Jessie Haas
A-Z Guide - Barrel Racing, Breeds, Cinch, Cowboy Curtain, Dressage, Driving, Foaling, Gaits, Grooming, Legging Up, Mustang, Piebald, Reining, Snaffle Bits, Steeple-Chasing, Tail Braiding, Trail Riding, English and Western, and So Much ...
by Bruce E. Johansen, Barry M. Pritzker
In 1987, more than 150 years after ratification of the Treaty of New Echota, Congress commemorated Cherokee removal by designating the Trail of Tears a national historic trail. Jennifer L. Bertolet See also Cherokee Nation v. Georgia; Indian ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Trail
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Trail
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Photo credit: k.oh.ey
Pacific Crest Trail
Photo credit: gabofr
Photo credit: andyarthur
Photo credit: grongar
Photo credit: hermzz
Trail from Marconi Station Site to the Altlantic White Cedar Swamp
Photo credit: John Loo
Trail in Aurora, CO
Photo credit: Lyn Lomasi
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Deep Creek to Middle Creek
Photo credit: Dushan and Miae
Deep Creek to Middle Creek
Photo credit: Dushan and Miae
Photo credit: Hitchster
Photo credit: CasparGirl
- Ghost Trail
Hickory Run State Park, Pennsylvania
Photo credit: Thomas James Caldwell
- Pecatonica State Trail
Photo credit: SassyTowne
- Snowmobile Trail.
by natebabcock instagr.am/p/TwcJP-kXEL/
Photo credit: Stephen O
- Gila Trail
Old US 80 going southeast, crossing the Gila River along the historical Gila Trail. The mountains in the Sonoran Desert National Monument are in the background.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
Photo credit: Hot Meteor
- Trail de mountain bike
Photo credit: Charles de Mille-Isles
- Stewart Creek Walking Trail
Photo credit: giovanni_cardona
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Trail
Click on an item to play that video:
- Trail Meaning
Video shows what trail means. To follow behind (someone or something); to tail (someone or something).. To drag (something) behind on the ground.. To leave ...
- Euler Trail Puzzle and the Definition of Line
If a line is described as y=mx+b, then the solution to the world famous Euler Trail Puzzle was 'Solved by Sean'
- Appalachian Trail Passport Review/explanation
via YouTube Capture.
- Paper trail Meaning
Video shows what paper trail means. A written record, history, or collection of evidence.. the records left by a person or organization in the course of activities.
- Vapor trail Meaning
Video shows what vapor trail means. US spelling of vapour trail. Vapor trail Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say vapor trail.
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail meaning and pronunciation
Sneak away to meet your mistress. ("Hiking the Appalachian Trail" is the first explanation of where South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford was when he disappeared.)
- "You, kind viewer, are tomorrow's cheesebag." Explaining trail terminology to you lay people
- Vocabulary of the Day : Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar Fifty Cent Piece United States Bureau
- Best Chemical Trail (ChemTrail) Explanation
- Low Impact Hiking Tips & Techniques : Definition of Trail Damage
Learn about trail damage, how it is caused in this free hiking video. Expert: Karl Jensen Bio: Karl Jensen has been hiking for seven years in the New England ...
- Dude demonstrates the real meaning of "Purity" - Pacific Crest Trail
- North Kaibab trail formation explanation.
- Trail of Tears Vocabulary
- Jack and Faith's explanation of the Bootlegger's Trail.
- Garfield Peak Trail Description - Crater Lake National Park
Trail description for the Garfield Peak Trail in Crater Lake National Park. Find your trail and go for it!
- Watchman Peak Trail Description - Crater Lake National Park
Trail description for the Watchman Peak Trail in Crater Lake National Park. Find Your Trail and Go for it!
- Annie Creek Canyon Trail Description - Crater Lake National Park
Trail Description for the Annie Creek Canyon trail in Crater Lake National Park. Find your trail and go for it!
- Wizard Island Summit Trail Description - Crater Lake National Park
Trail description for the Wizard Island Summit hike on Crater Lake National Park. Find your trail and go for it!
- Trail Off - Trail Away - Phrasal Verbs 2 - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Godfrey Glen Trail Description - Crater Lake National Park
Trail description for the Godfrey Glen trail in Crater Lake National Parl. Find your trail and go for it!
- Trail Running -...
Randall Davis discusses the differences between running on the street and along mountain trails.
- Kenomee Canyon Trail description
SherpaJeff describes the beginning of the trail.
- World Language Program at Chinook Trail Elementary
Kids at Chinook Trail learn Mandarin Chinese.
- Nike 2015 Trail Video(Description under clip)
- Trail crew work description
SLA Trail Crew leader John Toussaint shows some of the work completed in the Fall of 2011.
- Stoney Indian Pass trail saddle description Sue Lake Shelf !
Stoney Indian Pass trail saddle description narrated towards Sue Lake Shelf in Glacier National Park Hiking Backcountry Camping Extreme Montana Wilderness ...
- Description of Norwalk's Harbor Loop Trail
- Wigg's Description of Trail
Wigg telling the story of Olsen's Trail - Linville Gorge 2012 Spring.
- Interlink Language Center: Mock Trail - Cs5
Teacher: MR. Mutti.
See also the pronunciation examples of Trail!
Quotes about Trail
Having been to Europe and working and traveling there, the restaurants my wife and I remember were always off the beaten trail restaurants. So I tried to seek a little 'off the beaten trail,' but cool area. (Todd English)
more quotes about trail...
Scrabble value of T1R1A1I1L1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TRAIL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Trail!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Trail to see it in context!