Tower appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Five or six big jet planes zoomed quickly by the tower. (44 letters)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun tower:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb tower:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tower
- Definition of the verb tower
- Phrases with Tower
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tower
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tower
- Photos about Tower
- Videos about Tower
- Sign language
- Quotes about Tower
- Scrabble value of T1O1W4E1R1
- Anagrams of TOWER
- Share this page
The word tower is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tower
What does tower mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: towers
- a structure taller than its diameter; can stand alone or be attached to a larger building
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: construction / structure = a thing constructed
- more specific terms:
- barbacan / barbican = a tower that is part of a defensive structure
- beacon light / lighthouse / beacon / pharos = a tower with a light that gives warning of shoals to passing ships
- bell tower = a tower that supports or shelters a bell
- church tower = the tower of a church
- clock tower = a tower with a large clock visible high up on an outside face
- control tower = a tower with an elevated workspace enclosed in glass for the visual observation of aircraft around an airport
- tower block / high-rise = tower consisting of a multistoried building of offices or apartments
- minaret = slender tower with balconies
- mooring tower / mooring mast = a tower for mooring airships
- power pylon / pylon = a large vertical steel tower supporting high-tension power lines
- pylon = a tower for guiding pilots or marking the turning point in a race
- shot tower = tower of a kind once used to make shot
- silo = a cylindrical tower used for storing silage
- steeple / spire = a tall tower that forms the superstructure of a building (usually a church or temple) and that tapers to a point at the top
- supporting tower = a tower that serves to support something
- turret = a small tower extending above a building
- watchtower = an observation tower for a lookout to watch over prisoners or watch for fires or enemies
- anything that approximates the shape of a column or tower
- example: a tower of dust rose above the horizon
- lexical domain: Shapes - nouns denoting two and three dimensional shapes
- synonyms of tower: column / pillar
- more generic words: form / shape = the spatial arrangement of something as distinct from its substance
- more specific words:
- a powerful small boat designed to pull or push larger ships
Alternative definition of the noun tower
- A structure, usually taller than it is wide, often used as a lookout, usually unsupported by guy-wires.
- synonym: donjon
- [figuratively] Any item, such as a computer case, that is usually higher than it is wide.
- [informal] An interlocking tower.
- The sixteenth trump or Major Arcana card in many Tarot decks, deemed an ill omen.
- One who tows.
Definition of the verb tower
What does tower mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: towered | towering | towers
- appear very large or occupy a commanding position
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Theme] [Verb] The beer foamed | The voices echoed | Unicorns don't exist Verbs of Existence: coexist, correspond, depend, dwell, exist, extend, flourish, languish, linger, live, loom, lurk, persevere, persist, predominate, prevail, prosper, remain, reside, shelter, stay, thrive, wait [Theme] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] Unicorns don't exist on Earth there [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Theme, indefinite] There stood on the corner a statue Verbs of Existence: balance, bend, bow, crouch, dangle, droop, flop, fly, hang, hover, huddle, hunch, jut, kneel, lean, lie, loll, loom, lounge, nestle, open, perch, plop, project, protrude, recline, repose, rest, rise, roost, sag, sit, slope, slouch, slump, sprawl, squat, stand, stoop, straddle, swing, tilt [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location] They stood the statue on the pedestal [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] John slouched [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] The statue stood on the corner [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] On the pedestal stood a statue
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of tower: hulk / loom / predominate
- more generic words: lift / rear / rise = rise up
- Tower is a city located in Saint Louis County, Minnesota, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 500.
- Tower a.k.a. Torre is the highest point of Mainland Portugal, and the second most elevated of the Portuguese Republic. This point is not a distinctive mountain summit, but rather the highest point in a mountain range. Torre has an unusual feature of being a summit that is accessible by paved road, the Regional Road 339, formerly National Road 339.
- read more about Torre
- Tower is one of the 25 wards of the City of London and takes its name from its proximity to the Tower of London. The ward covers the area of the City that is closest to the Tower.
- Tower is a Venue in San Diego.
- also known as The Tower Bar, The Tower
There are other places with in their name, like BT Tower, CN Tower, Tower II, AXA Tower, Ice Tower, KPN Tower, Sky Tower, Sun Tower, Tom Tower, UTS Tower, WNB Tower, Bell tower, City Tower, Coit Tower, Eask Tower, Gate tower, HHHR Tower, Iron Tower, Peel tower and Post Tower.
Tower is a musical group.
- albums: "Mercury", "The Swan Princess"
Tower is a publisher.
Tower is a fictional mutant character in the Marvel Comics Universe. His first appearance was in X-Factor #2.
- "Tower" is the twenty-fifth album by the Finnish experimental rock band Circle. It was recorded in collaboration with Mika Rintala, who appears here under the alias Verde.
- released in (9 years ago)
- "Tower" is a composition.
- "Tower" is a musical single of Salyu.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Tower" is a musical album of An Pierlé.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Tower" is a musical single of Schrasj.
- released in (20 years ago)
"Tower" is a book written by Ken Bruen and Reed Coleman.
- authors: Reed Coleman & Ken Bruen
- genres: Fiction, Mystery
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Tower" a.k.a. "The Tower" is a 2012 South Korean disaster thriller film about a fire that breaks out in a luxury skyscraper in central Seoul on Christmas Eve. The film is directed by Kim Ji-hoon, and stars Sol Kyung-gu, Kim Sang-kyung and Son Ye-jin in the lead roles. It was released in theaters on Christmas Day, December 25, 2012.
- read more about The Tower
- "Tower" is a 2012 drama film written and directed by Kazik Radwanski.
- country: Canada
- language: English Language
- producer: Dan Montgomery
- art direction by Eva Michon
- written by Kazik Radwanski
- Derek Bogart as Derek
- Nicole Fairbairn as Nicole
- Deborah Sawyer as Mother
- Sean Connolly Affleck as Party Guest
- Sammy Allouba as 8th Clubgoer
- Julian Bachlow as Julian
- Peter Bavis as 1st Dinner Guest
- Elissa Ciullo as 2nd Clubgoer
- Brock Duke as Party Guest #3
- Sonali Jain as 3rd Clubgoer
- Mahalla Hodder as Woman in Kitchen
- Carlos Fortin as Party Guest
- Danny Falls as Danny
- Justin Duke as Party Guest
- Kasia Dyszkiewicz as Woman in Coffee Shop
- cinematography by Daniel Voshart & Rich Williamson
- edited by Ajla Odobasic
- music by Johnny Hockin, Gabe Knox, Brian Wong
- genre: Drama
- released on
- official website: mdff.ca/tower
- Tower a.k.a. The 3rd Hospital is a 2012 South Korean medical drama, starring Kim Seung-woo, Oh Ji-ho, Kim Min-jung and Sooyoung of Girls' Generation. It centers on the conflicts between Western and Eastern medicine and the rivalry between two brothers who espouse them. It aired on cable channel tvN from September 5 to November 8, 2012 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 20 episodes.
- read more about The 3rd Hospital
- Tower was a slab serif typeface designed by Morris Fuller Benton for American Type Founders, and based upon his earlier design for Stymie, but with straight sides to the round letters emphasizing the vertical appearance. Tower Italic was designed but not cast. In 1936, Tower Bold was started by the same designer, but was instead made into Stymie Bold Condensed.
- also known as Constructa
- Tower: In category theory, a branch of abstract mathematics, a tower is defined as follows.
Phrases with Tower
Phrases starting with the word Tower:
Phrases ending with the word Tower:
- cn tower
- bell tower
- fire tower
- shot tower
- Chain Tower
- clock tower
- ivory tower
- radio tower
- sears tower
- water tower
- church tower
- eiffel tower
- signal tower
- conning tower
- control tower
- cooling tower
View more phrases with the word Tower in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tower
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A New and Popular Pictorial Description of England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and the British Islands (1847)
The White Tower is a large, square, irregular building, erected in 1070, by Gan- dulph, bishop of Rochester. The walls, which are eleven feet...
Within the White Tower is the ancient chapel of St. John, originally used by the English mon- archs .
The Guide to Knowledge (1833)
by William Pinnock
The White Tower is a large square irregular building, situated almost in the centre , no one side answering to another, nor...
Taken From The Night (2012)
A Witch's Encounter With God by S. A. Tower
Tower is a former initiated witch with over 10 years of experience in witchcraft.
Environmental Impact Statement
WATER TOWER The Water Tower is a visually prominent structure located on the northern end of the Island (see Figure...
The tower is an elevated steel tank located on six crossbraced steel legs anchored to concrete foundations.
by Thomas Kitson Cromwell
The tower is an octagon, crowned with a shingled spire. William de...
by John Ramsay McCulloch
THE TOWER AND THE ROYAL MINT. 27 against it. The Tower was a royal palace during more than five centuries. It was long, also, and still in fact is, a state prison; and several royal personages, and some of our highest nobles, and most ...
Volume 23 - Fluid Flow: Two-Phase Design to Froth Flotation by John J. McKetta Jr
through an absorber tower (vent gas scrubber). where methyl formate ant methano1 vapors are scrubbed from the off-gas with cold methanol. Th( liquid from the gas-liquid separator and the methanol from the vent ga: scrubber base are fed to ...
Including Words Used by Ancient and Modern Authors in Treating of Architectural and Other Antiquities ... Also, Biographical Notices of Ancient Architects by John Britton, George Godwin
a tower, or building appropriated to a clock, with a bell or bells. The clochier, or bell-tower of old St. Paul's cathedral, London, which stood at the east end of the churchyard, contained a bell which was ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tower
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tower
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: adactio
Tower of the Americas in San Antonio Texas
Photo credit: Eric Borja
Photo credit: Helmuts Rudzītis
Photo credit: Arenamontanus
National Space Centre
Photo credit: Sam Town
Photo credit: dontklickme
Photo credit: Jonas B
Photo credit: rarbol2004
A guard tower at Eastern State.
Photo credit: post406
Photo credit: Timmy_L
Photo credit: kanonn
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Desert Gardens Hotel.
Photo credit: blachswan
Photo credit: Ben Chun
Samsung digital camera
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Photo credit: Terminals & Gates
Photo credit: Deepakjb
Photo credit: Tom Coppen
Photo credit: Cwongie
Photo credit: igb
View more pictures about Eiffel tower.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Tower
Click on an item to play that video:
- Individual Tower Explanation - Submarine
Intro Music -...
- Individual Tower Explanation - Boomerang!
Hopefully This helps you understand the Boomerang Better!
- Individual Tower Explanation - Ice Tower
Intro Music -...
- Individual Tower Explanation - Mortar
Intro Music -...
- Individual Tower Explanation - Tack Shooter!
Hopefully This helps you understand the Tack Shooter Better!
- Individual Tower Explanation - Sniper Monkey!
Hopefully This helps you understand the Sniper Better!
- Individual Tower Explanation - Ninja
Intro Music -...
- Individual Tower Explanation - Dart Monkey!
Hopefully This helps you understand the Dart Monkey Better!
- Individual Tower Explanation - Monkey Ace
Intro Music -...
- Tower Of Hanoi | Code and Explanation Tutorial
- Arthur Russell - Tower of Meaning
- The Meaning of Each Tarot Card : All About the Devil, Tower & Star Tarot Cards
Learn about the devil, tower, and star tarot cards in this free tarot card reading and deck history video clip. Expert: Marybeth Murphy Bio: Marybeth has been ...
- Individual tower. Explanation (dart monkey) EP1
via YouTube Capture.
- Victory Tower Explanation
Zack quickly describes how to conquer Fort Jackson's Victory Tower.
- Crane and Tower Operators Job Description
Crane and Tower Operators Job Description.
- Tower Views - American Language Institute
In this edition of Tower Views, Larry Burns vice president of external affairs is in the studio with members from American Language Institute, discussing their 35th ...
- Metropolitan Tower: Dictionary
Proposed content for an electronic display in the lobby of New York's Metropolitan Tower. The lobby is also a shortcut through a full city block. In this design ...
- Tower Description
- Tower Description
- Hyper Dimension Emergency Tower 04: Inaccurate Description
- Twist Display Tower / Case w/ Choice of Graphic Panels - Product Description & How to Set Up
- Aerocool Strike-X ST (Super Tower) (English & Filipino Language)
This is the New Aerocool Strike-X ST (Super Tower) that have just recently been released in October of 2011. Tons of features, internal space, LCS Support, ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Tower!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Tower
The foreign press seems obsessed with the Freedom Tower, as if it was the only thing going on here. In fact, we're trying to keep a huge juggling act in balance, with the tower as just one of the many balls in play. (Daniel Libeskind)
more quotes about tower...
Scrabble value of T1O1W4E1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TOWER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Tower!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tower to see it in context!