The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun tour:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tour
- Definition of the verb tour
- Phrases with Tour
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tour
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tour
- Photos about Tour
- Video language resources about Tour
- Sign language
- Quotes about Tour
- Scrabble value of T1O1U1R1
- Anagrams of TOUR
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tour
What does tour mean as a name of something?
Tour is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: tours
- a journey or route all the way around a particular place or area
- example: they took an extended tour of Europe
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of tour: circuit
- more generic words: journey / journeying = the act of traveling from one place to another
- more specific terms:
- walkabout = a walking trip or tour
- grand tour = a sightseeing tour of a building or institution
- grand tour = an extended cultural tour of Europe taken by wealthy young Englishmen (especially in the 18th century) as part of their education
- itineration = journeying from place to place preaching or lecturing
- package holiday / package tour = a tour arranged by a travel agent
- pub crawl = a tour of bars or public houses
- whistle-stop tour = a tour by a candidate as part of a political campaign in which a series of small towns are visited
- a time period for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else)
- a period of time spent in military service
Alternative definition of the noun tour
- A journey through a particular building, estate, country, etc.
- A guided visit to a particular place, or virtual place.
- A journey through a given list of places, such as by an entertainer performing concerts.
- [cricket] A trip taken to another nation by a test side in which several matches will be played
- [dated] A tower.
- [cycling] The Tour de France
Specialised definition of the noun tour
Glossary of sports
a series of games or tournaments played by the same sports team in different locations (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb tour
What does tour mean as a doing word?
Tour is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: toured | touring | tours
- make a tour of a certain place
- example: We toured the Provence this summer
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- more generic words: journey / travel = undertake a journey or trip
- more specific terms:
- "Tour" is a musical EP of Stafrænn Hákon.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Tour" is a musical EP of Big Business.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Tour" is a musical album of Fresas Con Crema.
- released in (28 years ago)
- "Tour" is a musical EP of Total Victory.
- released on
- "Tour" is a musical album of Harry Pussy.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Tour" is a musical single of Capleton.
Tour is the ninth episode of the first season of the 2008 web series Mayne Street. It premiered Friday, December 12, 2008.
- also known as Kenny Gives a Tour
Phrases with Tour
Phrases starting with the word Tour:
- Tour bus
- tour guide
- Tour Match
- Tour Eiffel
- tour of duty
- tour de force
- Tour operator
- Tour D'horizon
- tour de france
Phrases ending with the word Tour:
- la tour
- on tour
- duty tour
- Audio Tour
- grand tour
- Cook's Tour
- Mystery Tour
- package tour
- Knight's tour
- whistle-stop tour
View more phrases with the word Tour in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tour
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Stanley Rabinowitz
by Karl Scherer A closed archer's tour is a sequence of n connected Rook moves on an n x n chessboard such that the Rook lands on each square exactly once and finishes at the ...
by Carrie Hampton
za CAPE ARGUS PICK N PAY CYCLE TOUR The Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay Cycle Tour is the world's largest individually timed cycle The Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay Cycle Tour is The Cape Argus ...
Build Your Author Platform (2014)
The New Rules: A Literary AgentÕs Guide to Growing Your Audience in 14 Steps by Carole Jelen, Michael McCallister
Like your book launch party, your virtual tour is a time to talk about your book, the inspiration for writing it, what you learned along the way, and to tell the stories of people who contributed to the project, in unexpected ways. It's a time to be ...
Deal Me In! (2006)
Online Cardrooms, Big Time Tournaments, and The New Poker by Glenn McDonald
World Poker Tour is the name of the show itself, but the actual poker tournament televised are all independent events run...
So the way to think about World Poker Tour is that it is a traveling TV show that covers major poker tournaments (see ...
by Gail Grant
Tour piqué en dehors Tour en l'air [toor W lehr]. Turn in the air. This is essentially a male dancer's step although contemporary choreographers use this tour for girls. It is a turn in the air in which the dancer rises straight into the air from a ...
Self-pronouncing ... Based on the Foundation Laid
tOUr-ist C'st)' n. an excursionist; traveller. tour - ma - line ('mft-|in>' »• a transparent aluminous mineral of various colors,
Encyclopedia of Tourism (2002)
by Jafar Jafari
tour operator The origins of the role can be traced at least as far back as ancient Greece. At that time, guides fell into two categories, the Periegetai, or ' leaders around“ and the Exegetai, or 'explainers'. Herodotus, writing around 490 BC, ...
by Roger Bartlett, Chris Gratton, Christer Rolf
TOUR DE FRANCE Rolfe, S.T. and Barsom, J.M. (1977) Fracture and Fatigue Control in Structures - Applications of Fracture Mechanics, ch. 5, Englewood Cliffs NJ: Prentice-Hall. DAVID CURTIS TOUR DE FRANCE The Tour de France ...
The Disneyland Encyclopedia (2017)
The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Major Event in the Original Magic Kingdom by Chris Strodder
By 1962, the Tour Guide program, led by Cicely Rigdon, was operating from what was called the Guided Tour Garden (or just the Tour Garden), a small landscaped area south of the Police Station in Town Square. Conveniently, guests ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tour
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tour
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: hernanpba
- Tour Hassan RABAT
Photo credit: Mathias.D1
- Tour Montparnasse
Photo credit: ChrisYunker
- Tour Station Contact
Photo credit: Travel Around the World - 旅遊站 Tour Station
- Tour Saint Jacques
Photo credit: Daniel_Hache
- Tour Majunga
Photo credit: arthur.weidmann
- Tour Montparnasse
Photo credit: Shepard4711
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tour
Click on an item to play that video:
- Warped Tour Slang! - Warped Roadies
Warped Roadies Premieres December 4th at 11/10c on Fuse! Buy on iTunes...
- The Sacrifices - Dajjal Palace - Ziyarat (tour) explanation
for insertion into the Full version.
- Amazing Redstone Computer V2 Tour/Explanation
- KPCC seeks explanation from DCC secy over Goa tour with VM Radhakrishnan
KPCC seeks explanation from DCC secy over Goa tour with VM Radhakrishnan.
- Word Wall in the Upper Grades: Expanding Vocabulary and Spelling (Virtual Tour)
By choosing words to display on the word wall, students can take ownership and learn to spell high frequency words. See the lesson plan at ...
- Paramore - Honda Civic Tour - Meaning of the BNE butterfly
- Math Word Wall: Expanding Vocabulary in Third Grade (Virtual Tour)
Displaying new words essential to mathematics learning and problem solving helps students build their vocabulary. See the lesson plan at ...
- Def Leppard Monterrey 1997 slang tour D99
Def Leppard Monterrey 1997 slang tour D99.
- Never Shout Never - California Slang (Live at Vans Warped Tour 2013, San Diego Ca.)
Never Shout Never live at Vans Warped Tour 2013, San Diego Ca. 19/6/13.
- Word Wall: Expanding Vocabulary in Third and Fourth Grade (Virtual Tour)
Providing students with access to high frequency sight words that are displayed on a wall located near the guided reading table allows students to refer to these ...
- Set It Off European Tour With Yellowcard (Milk Chug Explanation)
- New Words Game: Expanding Vocabulary (Virtual Tour)
Designing a card game using new and interesting words is a motivating activity to help students build their vocabulary. See the lesson plan at ...
- Super Words: Expanding Vocabulary in Second Grade (Virtual Tour)
Introducing new and interesting words on a regular basis helps students expand their vocabulary. See the lesson plan at ...
- Nursery Tour Explanation
- Campus Tour Vocabulary Video
- Knight's tour Meaning
Video shows what knight's tour means. A sequence of positions on a chess board, which sequence includes each square precisely once, and where successive ...
- Tour Tempo Explanation
- The Revival Tour - American Slang - Live - Brian Fallon- Chuck Ragan- Dan Andriano- Dave Hause
The first playing of the Gaslight Anthems 'American Slang' on the Revival Tour... Chuck Ragan's legendary Revival Tour hits the road once again, this time ...
- Isis Temple in Philae Aswan Tour Explanation
Small video with a short explanation of the inside of the Isis Temple in Philae Island near Aswan. A tour guide explains the history of an inside room of the ...
- A United States Bank Tour [ESL / EFL Listening Activity]
- CM KCR China Tour | Revanth Reddy Comments on KCR | Telangana Language Day | Teenmaar News | V6News
- Porter Robinson Worlds Tour - Language Houston, TX
Taken at Stereo Live in Houston, Texas on 9-21-14.
- Read&Write for Windows Video Tour Dictionary UK
- A tour of Language Institute Regina Coeli in English
Let us introduce you to Language Institute Regina Coeli in Vught. An English language trainer will take you on a tour of the building.
- Masada and The Dead Sea - Tour description
Masada and The Dead Sea - Tour description, Full itinerary and booking -...
- English Language Center's Tour of Howard Community College
Take a video tour of Howard Community College. For the best experience, make sure you watch the video in HD. Come study at HCC in Columbia, MD, USA!
- ACICIS Video #96 School Tour - Language Classes
The students on the school tour took intensive language classes at Sanata Dharma University for one week. Here is a brief look at these classes as well as ...
- Wales - CYMRU - Language, Culture, Tradition, History & Tour - Up to 1940s
Wales - A tour - traditions, sites, music and language. 1940s. This film has been made available courtesy the British Council Film Collection.
- Tour of Bell Cambridge - English Language Training School
The beautiful city of Cambridge attracts around 4 million visitors every year. Its reputation for academic excellence and a lively student community make it an ...
- Multi-language Commentary Delivered to Trolley and Boat Tour Guests
Kingston Tour Trolley and Kingston 1000 Islands Cruises talk about their experiences with AudioConexus and why they're delivering multilingual commentary ...
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Bus Driver Tour: Sign Language
The Bus Driver Tour playing in Northville, Michigan on September 01, 2013.
- Deaf Foodies Savor Gourmet Ghetto Tasting Tour in Sign Language
A dozen Deaf Foodies relish the tastes and history of Berkeley's Gourmet Ghetto in a 3 hour tasting tour presented completely in American Sign Language (ASL) ...
- NZ Sign Language Tour
- Sign Language Tour - Seung Yul Oh: MOAMOA, A Decade
- New York Sign Language Tour
Download the tour here: signlanguage.lp.pocketguideapp.com Take the Gray Line Hop On Hop Off bus, and choose the Downtown Loop. Use and enjoy this ...
Quotes about Tour
If you don't tour, you cannot expect to sell a huge numbers of your albums either. It was both a business - and an economical decision and we wanted to play anyway. We just wanted to get out for the tour when it was safe enough for us. (Kerry King)
more quotes about tour...
Scrabble value of T1O1U1R1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TOUR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Tour!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tour to see it in context!