Tennis appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Tennis: Tip spits in net
- Tennis set won now Tess in net.
- Tennis tips: saliva. Vilas spits in net.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tennis
- Phrases with Tennis
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tennis
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tennis
- Photos about Tennis
- Videos about Tennis
- Quotes about Tennis
- Scrabble value of T1E1N1N1I1S1
- Anagrams of TENNIS
- Share this page
The word tennis is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tennis
What does tennis mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: - (uncountable) / tennises (less preferred form)
- a game played with rackets by two or four players who hit a ball back and forth over a net that divides the court
- examples: He's Argentinean and he gives tennis lessons. | In her leisure time, she enjoys swimming and tennis. | You are a tennis player. | You have tennis elbow. Soak your arm in warm water. | I used to play tennis when I was a student. | We enjoyed playing tennis. | Some were playing tennis on the tennis court. | The rain prevented us from finishing our game of tennis. | The rain prevented us from playing tennis outside. | When the rain stopped, the game of tennis was continued immediately.
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of tennis: lawn tennis
- more generic term: court game = an athletic game played on a court
- more specific terms:
- footfault = a fault that occurs when the server in tennis fails to keep both feet behind the baseline
- return = a tennis stroke that sends the ball back to the other player
- service break = a tennis game won on the opponent's service
- advantage = first point scored after deuce
- set point = the final point needed to win a set in tennis
Alternative definition of the noun tennis
- [sport] A sport played by either two or four players with strung racquets, a 2½" (6.4 cm) ball, and a net approximately 3 feet high on a clay, grass, or cement court.
Specialised definition of the noun tennis
Glossary of sports
a game played on a rectangular court by two players or two pairs of players, who use rackets to hit a ball back and forth over a net stretched across a marked-out court (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
racquet game played both outdoors and indoors by two (singles) or four (doubles) players. Tennis is played using racquets and a ball (men, women and mixed). The idea of the game is to hit the ball with the racquet into the opponent's field in such a manner that the opponent cannot return the ball into one's own field. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
a game for two players or two pairs of players who use rackets to hit a ball backwards and forwards over a net (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- Tennis is an American indie pop band from Denver made up of husband-and-wife duo Alaina Moore and Patrick Riley. During their first tour, James Barone joined the band on drums. The couple met each other while studying philosophy in college, and started the band after they got back from a seven-month sailing expedition down the Eastern Atlantic Seaboard. They took their name from a joke about Patrick Riley playing tennis in college. Prior to joining Tennis, Moore's earliest singing experience was in church choirs during her youth.
- genres: Rock music, Independent music, Surf music, Indie pop, Lo-fi music
- albums: "Cape Dory", "Baltimore", "South Carolina", "Young & Old", "Small Sound", "Ritual in Repeat"
- official website: www.tennis-music.com
- Tennis is a musical group.
- album: "Your Friend in Sound"
- Tennis is a musical group.
- "Tennis" is the third studio album by Chris Rea, released in 1980.
- genre: Album-oriented rock
- released in (27 years ago)
- "Tennis" is a musical album of Papaye.
- released in
- "Tennis" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Robert Palmer
- "Tennis" is a sports game released in Japan for the Family Computer in 1984, and in North America for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1985. In North America, Tennis was one of 18 launch games for the NES. A Game Boy version was also released.
- also known as Tenisu, Tennis-e
- mode: Single-player video game, Multiplayer video game
- developers: Nintendo, Intelligent Systems
- genres: Sports game, Tennis
- publishers: Nintendo, Hudson Soft
- released on (30 years ago)
- "Tennis" is a tennis–simulation video game developed for the Atari 2600 by Activision, and published in 1981. The game was designed by Activision co-founder Alan Miller.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: Activision
- genre: Sports game
- publisher: Activision
- released in (34 years ago)
- "Tennis" a.k.a. "Virtua Tennis 2" is a sequel to Virtua Tennis that was released for the Sega Dreamcast, Sega NAOMI arcade unit and Sony's PlayStation 2 in 2001. New features included the ability to slice and play as female players such as Seles, Serena Williams, Venus Williams and Davenport and the males such as Rafter, Norman, Enqvist and Moya and mixed doubles matches. The game was created and produced by Hitmaker, with Acclaim Entertainment publishing it in Europe for the PS2.
- read more about Virtua Tennis 2
Tennis is a record label.
Tennis a.k.a. Tennis, Kansas: Tennis is an unincorporated community in Finney County, Kansas, United States. Tennis is 13 miles north of Garden City.
- read more about Tennis, Kansas
- Tennis Magazine is an American sports magazine owned by the Miller Publishing Group, LLC. It is a monthly magazine which covers news from the world of tennis.
- official website: www.tennis.com
- Tennis is an strategic pencil and paper game for two players.
Phrases with Tennis
Phrases starting with the word Tennis:
- tennis pro
- tennis ball
- tennis camp
- tennis club
- tennis shoe
- tennis shot
- tennis coach
- tennis court
- Tennis Dress
- tennis elbow
- tennis match
- tennis lesson
Phrases ending with the word Tennis:
View more phrases with the word Tennis in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tennis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James E. Bryant
Tennis is a highly popular sport played at all levels of skill and by people of all ages. For an individual to be successful at the game requires the development of a foundation of skills based on a learning progression process, an in-depth ...
Princeton Alumni Weekly (1924)
First, tennis is a game for young and old. While tennis is an active game in which physical stamina plays an important part, one may start playing in competition at the tender years of fourteen, the age of Alonzo Smith, the present American ...
Tennis is a game you can play right in your own yard or a few blocks away. Baseball...
Tennis Facts and Stats by Mark Woods, Ruth Owen
Tennis is a game that involves skill, dexterity, speed, and intelligence, but we can't forget that it also involves numbers.
Resistance Band Workbook (2013)
Illustrated Step-by-Step Guide to Stretching, Strengthening and Rehabilitative Techniques by Karl Knopf
Tennis is a fun activity that can be played at various levels well into old age.
Since tennis is an explosive sport that requires bursts of speed and power , once you establish a baseline of muscular strength and endurance, your program ...
Workouts for Staying at the Top of Your Game by Karl Knopf
Tennis is an explosive, full-body sport that requires agility and quick bursts of speed and power. It also depends on adequate...
Tennis is a one-sided game for most players, thus creating muscle imbalances. So off-the-court training must ...
Behavioural Finance (2016)
by Prasanna Chandra
While professional tennis is a Winner's game, amateur tennis is a Loser's game. Professional tennis players stroke the ball with wellaimed shots and play long and often exciting rallies. Eventually one player wins the point by driving the ball or ...
33 Olympic Games (2004)
by H. Singh
TENN1S Tennis is a outdoor interesting game of bat and ball like table tennis, played by both sexes in singles and doubles in mediaeval times there were games in which a ball was hit backwards and forwards over an obstacle.
by Brad Miner
Tennis, for example, "just a game" in itself, has escalating levels of potential satisfaction for the casual player, for whom tennis is a way to pass the time pleasurably; for the dedicated amateur, for whom tennis is a principal means of " expressing ...
Country Life in America (1910)
Tennis is the most popular sport at the Woodmere Country Club. but golf and ocean sports will soon be added...
“7 Tennis is the most popular sport at the Woodmere Country ...
American Lawn Tennis (1921)
Ethics and Etiquette AWN TENNIS is a game of give and take, of bear and forbear. Two players at cross purposes can make a game a farce, a ghastly travesty. Even at the best, the time lost, and therefore wasted, is enormous. It is worth the ...
tennis racket Racket with an oval head that is used to strike the ball; it usually weighs between 8 and 12 oz and is about 29 in long. frame Racket frame to which the stringing is attached. head Oval part of the racket, including the frame and the ...
1992-1995 supplement for baseball, football, basketball, and other sports by David L. Porter
TENNIS AND OTHER RACQUET SPORTS AGASSI, Andre Kirk (b. April 29, 1970 , Las Vegas, NV), tennis player, is the son of Emmanuel "Mike" Agassi and Elizabeth Agassi. After demonstrating extraordinary tennis skills under the tutelage of ...
by Ashok Kumar
Tennis. Table Tennis, also called 'Ping-Pong' is a game patterned after tennis but is played indoors on a table. Simplicity of its rules and the fact that its equipment is so easily and cheaply available had made this game a most popular sport.
Encyclopedia of Louisiana (1999)
by Nancy Capace
Tennis tournaments are offered, as well as the annual 10,000-meter Crescent City Classic road race. In Slidell, the Bayou Liberty Pirogue Races test boaters' skills in a race using dugout canoes known as pirogues. The Ted Gormely Stadium ...
An Alphabetically Arranged Dictionary, Comprising All of the Interests that Contribute to Chicago's Greatness. Spring Ed by George E. Moran
The improved portion contains the following in full operation: Swimming pool, children's playground, men's outdoor gymnasium, women's outdoor gymnasium, tennis courts, ball fields and courts, wading pool, shelter, skating and tobogganing.
Nelson's Encyclopaedia (1907)
Everybody's Book of Reference ...
Lawn Tennis service-side, and half-court lines. If W and X' are playing Y and Z, the order of service is WYXZ, WYXZ, etc. The service is returned alternately by the two partners who are strikers-out throughout each game; but when once the ...
by David J. Bodenhamer, Robert G. Barrows
Tennis. Little information has survived concerning tennis in Indianapolis in the 19th century.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tennis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tennis
Click on an item to view that photo:
As popular as ever, this men's singles tennis match in Seaton Carew is overlooked by the Staincliffe Hotel. With their richly decorated hats, many of the female spectators appear to have turned out in the Sunday best.
Photograph Collection Number 641
A spot of tennis while on holiday in France.
Photo credit: PughPugh
Photo credit: thms.nl
Photo credit: themoonmachine
Photo credit: Beraldo Leal
- Tennis Game
Photo credit: llee_wu
- Tennis Action
Photo credit: Rachael Hesling
- Wimbledon tennis
Photo credit: oheath
- Tennis reflexionando
Tennis pensando y reflexionando sobre la vida
Photo credit: tonymoyoy
- Tennis strobe
The tennis club floodlights gave a strobe like effect, so you can see the ball and racket in motion
Photo credit: Kevin Marks
- Tennis Game
Photo credit: llee_wu
- Tennis Stadion tweaked
Test of The Best Camera iPhone app
Photo credit: Dave Messina
- Tennis Game
Photo credit: llee_wu
- Wimbledon tennis
Photo credit: oheath
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Tennis
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tennis Terminology
The most common terminology used in tennis. Also forgot 1 important term - a winner. A winner is whenever you hit any shot in tennis where the ball bounces in ...
- Betfair Trading Video - Tennis strategy and bet activity explanation
To help explain blog post -...
- ETI Podcast - Quantum (meaning effortless) Tennis
Get more tennis lessons today...
- Logan, testing the new tennis vocabulary
Logan, testing the new tennis vocabulary.
- Logan, tennis terminology
Logan, tennis terminology.
- Tennis Meaning
Video shows what tennis means. A sport played by two players (or four in doubles), who alternately strike the ball over a net using racquets.. A match in this sport ...
- Novak Djokovic - The Meaning of Tennis
Congratulations Master Novak! Includes clips of Shangai T.M.C 2008.
- Vocabulary: Sports (Soccer, Football, Tennis)
- Vocabulary in sport: Tennis
- Tennis Spin Simple Explanation
Tennislife Coaching newsletter for March explains the basic spin principle when hitting a tennis ball. Brushing over or under the ball is shown by Kevin Woolcott.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Tennis equipment
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Tennis racquets
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Tennis training aids
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Tennis tables
- What Is The Definition Of Elbow, tennis - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Steffi Graf - A Tennis Dictionary for Forehand Game
Steffi Graf is the Greatest Female Tennis player from Germany. She is only one Tennis player who won the Golden Grand-slam (US, Australian, French, ...
- (Tennis) NOUN IS FLIPPTASTIC DEATH
- Tennis Tip: Learn Secret Language Learning Techniques To Boost Your Tennis Game
In this video you're going to learn how principles from learning a new language can make you a better tennis player. Make sure you watch this video because ...
- Nike Tennis and English Language Camps with Verbalists
- Tennis as a Second Language
In a life of an USF tennis player Music - Greyhound by Swedish House Mafia.
View more videos about Lawn tennis, Real tennis, Soft tennis, Tennis ball, Tennis Club, Tennis shoe, Mario Tennis, royal tennis, Table tennis, Telly Tennis, Tennis court, Tennis Dress, Tennis Elbow, Tennis Player, tennis racket, Tonsil Tennis, and Football tennis.
See also the pronunciation examples of Tennis!
Quotes about Tennis
I'd like to think I could have and should have won more, but that's not the point. And I was at the point where I was playing great tennis in the mid 80s - the type of tennis people hadn't seen before - and I was very proud of that. (John McEnroe)
more quotes about tennis...
Scrabble value of T1E1N1N1I1S1
The value of this 6-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TENNIS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Tennis!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tennis to see it in context!