On this page:
Definition of the verb take hold
What does take hold mean as a doing phrase?
- assume control
- have or hold in one's hands or grip
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of take hold: hold
- more specific terms:
- hold on / grasp = hold firmly
- hold close / hold tight / cling to / clutch = hold firmly, usually with one's hands
- cradle = hold gently and carefully
- clinch = hold a boxing opponent with one or both arms so as to prevent punches
- interlace / interlock / lock = hold in a locking position
- trap = hold or catch as if in a trap
- cradle = hold or place in or as if in a cradle
Alternative definition of the verb take hold
- to grasp, seize
- synonym: lay hold
- to take root, become established
Phrases with take hold
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for take hold
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Rosalind Fergusson
JE" to take hold 1. ¥H ; <tff 2.
Volume Three: m- by Gábor Takács
MSA *mn " “to take hold of" [GT]: Hrs. mona “to take, catch, hold” [Jns.], Jbl, mená" “packen, ...
by Paul Heacock
take hold to become established; = take root ♢ Democracy cannot take hold there until peace has been achieved. * It will be several years before new plants take hold in the area hit by the ...
Designed as a Practical Guide to Aptness and Variety of Phraseology by Richard Soule
Take hold of, Seize, fix on. Take horse, 1. Set out to ride. 2.
by John Penrice
image To take hold of. image comm. gend. Musk. image II. To hold fast (with ).— image IV. To hold, take, catch hold of, hold fast, withhold, keep image n.a. The act of retaining, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for take hold
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about take hold
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jayson Ignacio
View more pictures about To Take Hold.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about take hold
Take hold Meaning
Video shows what take hold means. to grasp, seize. to take root, become established. Take hold Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
Quotes about take hold
Take off your hat quickly but slowly take hold of your purse.
Anagrams of TAKE HOLD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of take hold!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of take hold to see it in context!