On this page:
- Definition of the noun swirl
- Definition of the verb swirl
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Swirl
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Swirl
- Usage statistics about swirl
- Photos about Swirl
- Video language resources about Swirl
- Quotes about Swirl
- Scrabble value of S1W4I1R1L1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun swirl
What does swirl mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: swirls
- the shape of something rotating rapidly
Alternative definition of the noun swirl
- a whirling eddy
- a twist or coil of something
Definition of the verb swirl
What does swirl mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: swirled | swirling | swirls
- turn in a twisting or spinning motion
- example: The leaves swirled in the autumn wind
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] [Path Preposition] [Location] Cora coiled the rope around the post Verbs of Putting: loop, roll, rotate, spin, twine, whirl, wind [Theme - nonrigid elongated] [Verb] [Adverb] [Path Preposition] [Location] That type of rope coils easily around the post [Theme - nonrigid elongated] [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location] The rope coiled around the post there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] There fluttered a flag (over the fort) Verbs of Existence: bob, bow, creep, dance, drift, eddy, falter, flap, float, flutter, hover, jiggle, joggle, oscillate, pulsate, quake, quiver, revolve, rock, roil, rotate, shake, stir, sway, teeter, throb, totter, tremble, undulate, vacillate, vibrate, waft, wave, waver, wiggle, wobble, writhe [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] The patriots waved the flag [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] A flag fluttered [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] A flag fluttered over the fort | Bees are swarming in the garden [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] In the aquarium swam a striped fish | Over the fort fluttered a flag
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of swirl: twiddle / twirl / whirl
- more generic terms: go around / revolve / rotate = turn on or around an axis or a center
- flow in a circular current, of liquids
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] There fluttered a flag (over the fort) [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] The patriots waved the flag [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] A flag fluttered [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] A flag fluttered over the fort | Bees are swarming in the garden [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] In the aquarium swam a striped fish | Over the fort fluttered a flag
Verbs of Existence (with the same syntax): bob, bow, creep, dance, drift, eddy, falter, flap, float, flutter, hover, jiggle, joggle, oscillate, pulsate, quake, quiver, revolve, rock, roil, rotate, shake, stir, sway, teeter, throb, totter, tremble, undulate, vacillate, vibrate, waft, wave, waver, wiggle, wobble, writhe.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of swirl: eddy / purl / whirl / whirlpool
- more generic words: course / feed / flow / run = move along, of liquids
Alternative definition of the verb swirl
- To twist or whirl, as an eddy
- To be arranged in a twist, spiral or whorl
- "Swirl" is a 2011 Brazilian drama film directed by Clarissa Campolina and Helvécio Marins Jr.
- also known as Girimunho, Tourbillon, Imaginando la Vida, Girirmunho
- countries: Brazil, Spain, Germany
- language: Portuguese Language
- directors: Helvécio Marins Jr. & Clarissa Campolina
- producers: Luis Miñarro, Sara Silveira, Paulo de Carvalho, Gudula Meinzolt, Luana Melgaço
- executive producers: Luana Melgaço & Maria Ionescu
- production design by Felipe Duarte
- art direction by Thaís de Campos
- written by Felipe Bragança
- cinematography by Ivo Lopes Araújo
- edited by Marina Meliande
- music by O Grivo
- costume design by Thaís de Campos
- genre: Drama
- rating: PG (USA)
- released on (4 years ago)
- official website: www.girimunho.com
- "Swirl" is a 2003 romantic comedy film written and directed by Les Wilson.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Les Wilson
- executive producer: Ted Howard
- written by Les Wilson
- cinematography by Todd Barron
- edited by Les Wilson & John M. Taylor
- set decoration by Jay Wintringer
- genres: Romance Film, Comedy, Romantic comedy
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (12 years ago)
"Swirl" is a book written by Susan McCabe.
- genre: Poetry
- released in (13 years ago)
- award: - Lambda Literary Award for Lesbian Poetry nomination for Susan McCabe
- "Swirl" is a musical album of Sprung Monkey.
- released on (16 years ago)
- "Swirl" is a musical single of Josh Wink.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Swirl" is a musical album of Here.
- released in (23 years ago)
Swirl were a Sydney, Australia-based indie rock band, forming around 1990 and breaking up in 2002. They released three albums and a number of EP's, mostly through independent Sydney label Half A Cow.
- genre: Indie rock
- albums: "Aurora", "The Last Unicorn EP", "Time", "Plumptious", "The Last Unicorn", "Fall E.P.", "Body E.P."
- official website: www.swirl.com.au
- Swirl is a publisher.
- Swirl is a record label.
Swirl is an African wild dog.
Swirl is an American anti-racist grassroots organization, incorporated in 2000, that serves the mixed heritage community. It aims to develop a national consciousness around mixed heritage issues to empower members to organize and take action towards progressive social change.
- official website: www.swirlinc.org
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Swirl
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Strangely Wonderful (2013)
by James Barrett Rodehaver
in the area, and love poetry, art, or want to create a fan-base for your work, Mad Swirl is the place to start! God. Last, but certainly not least, is God. Without God, 406.
Singled Out (2007)
How Singles Are Stereotyped, Stigmatized, and Ignored, and Still Live Happily Ever After by Bella DePaulo, Ph.D.
The social swirl is a fantasy, at least after age 30 or so, ...
The swirl is a part of the whole aerodynamic flow pattern of the burner- combustion chamber configuration and generates recirculation into the oil jet. As the swirl is increased both the internal and external entrainment to the jet increases.
Automotive Electricity (2013)
Electric Drive by Joseph Beretta
The swirl is the rotation movement of gases contained without the cylinder, around its axis. Specialists characterize this movement by the “number of swirls”, which is the ratio of the speed of rotation of the gases to the engine speed.
The Berkshire News (1946)
A swirl is a group of hairs, found most often just above the tail or on the back, that part and grow in all directions causing a spot on the body of the hog to appear more or less bare, instead of lying flat as the natural hair coat would grow.
by Don Goodsell
swirl Orderly rotation of ...
Studies in Honour of Leonhard Lipka by Wolfgang Falkner, Hans-Jörg Schmid
Swirl: semantic. motivation. in. English. trade. names. used. in. Germany. WOLFGANG. FALKNER. 1. Introduction1 Trade names of English origin are widespread in the discourse of advertising in Germany. The use of brand names, company ...
by Hensleigh Wedgwood (M.A.)
swirl, a tool for drilling holes ; Du. dwarlen, to whirl ; E. twirl. The notion of shaking is one of ...
by Mel Schwartz
Part surfaces had a characteristic swirl pattern caused by the blowing agent, some of which becomes trapped between...
The principal process variables that control the swirl pattern are mold temperature, melt temperature, injection rate, and ...
by Sidney L. Landau
whiten swing, pirouette, twirl, swirl, roll, circle, orbit 2 deflect, stray, shift, deviate, diverge, veer, swerve, digress, wander, reverse, recant, rethink, reconsider. wheel and deal Slang finagle, connive, scheme, wangle, maneuver, intrigue, conspire ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Swirl
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about swirl
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun swirl:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb swirl:
Photos about Swirl
Click on an item to view that photo:
Yoghurt and fruit
Photo credit: LoopZilla
A "point and shout shot" witnessing the recent bird deaths / Shot in: Istanbul, Turkey
Photo credit: Burcu Avci
Photo credit: croarty
Photo credit: niseag03
Photo credit: michaeltk
Photo credit: O.S. Fisher
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: quinn.anya
These bright leaves were swirled in a pool of water.
Photo credit: WordRidden
Photo credit: bdesham
Taken while climbing Mount Snowden in Wales.
Photo credit: Callum Lambert
Photo credit: photographerpandora
- Swirl Socks
Pattern: Swirl Socks by Sulafaye. Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock DK. Color: Off the Deep End.
Photo credit: starathena
- Lights Swirl
Photo credit: (Jennifer Peyton)
- Swirl Abstraction
Photo credit: Mr. Ducke
- Edinburg swirl
Photo credit: fschnell
- Debian Swirl
Photo credit: gerard0
- Flower swirl
Photo credit: AH AP
- Swirl Beret
Knitting Daily pattern
Photo credit: meknits
- Green Swirl
Photo credit: stonethestone
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Swirl
Click on an item to play that video:
- Swirl Meaning
Video shows what swirl means. A whirling eddy.. A twist or coil of something.. Swirl Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say swirl.
- How to Swirl Paint a Guitar Tutorial (in depth explanation of materials)
The paint is flat.Ive tested with gloss which floats a lot better but with poor dip results. You can try gloss at your own risk if you can figure it out. the flat and gloss ...
- Swirl da pearl the proper terminology
- House School Dictionary - Swirl
See also the pronunciation examples of Swirl!
Quotes about Swirl
Scrabble value of S1W4I1R1L1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Swirl to see it in context!