The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun surface:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb surface:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun surface
- Definition of the adjective surface
- Definition of the verb surface
- Phrases with Surface
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Surface
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Surface
- Photos about Surface
- Video language resources about Surface
- Quotes about Surface
- Scrabble value of S1U1R1F4A1C3E1
- Share this page
The word surface is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun surface
What does surface mean as a name of something?
Surface is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: surfaces
- the outer boundary of an artifact or a material layer constituting or resembling such a boundary
- examples: there is a special cleaner for these surfaces | the cloth had a pattern of red dots on a white surface
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- more specific terms:
- bed = the flat surface of a printing press on which the type form is laid in the last stage of producing a newspaper or magazine or book etc.
- gameboard / board = a flat portable surface (usually rectangular) designed for board games
- face = the striking or working surface of an implement
- ground = the surface (as a wall or canvas) prepared to take the paint for a painting
- horizontal surface / level = a flat surface at right angles to a plumb line
- Klein bottle = a closed surface with only one side
- meniscus = the curved upper surface of a nonturbulent liquid in a vertical tube
- miter / mitre = the surface of a beveled end of a piece where a miter joint is made
- Mobius strip = a continuous closed surface with only one side
- plasterwork / plaster = a surface of hardened plaster
- projection screen / silver screen / screen = a white or silvered surface where pictures can be projected for viewing
- side = an extended outer surface of an object
- skin = an outer surface
- spandrel / spandril = an approximately triangular surface area between two adjacent arches and the horizontal plane above them
- superficies = outer surface of an area or a body
- tread = the grooved surface of a pneumatic tire
- vertical surface = a surface that is vertical
- work surface = a horizontal surface for supporting objects used in working or playing games
- the extended two-dimensional outer boundary of a three-dimensional object
- examples: they skimmed over the surface of the water | a brush small enough to clean every dental surface | the sun has no distinct surface
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- more generic words: bound / boundary / bounds = the line or plane indicating the limit or extent of something
- more specific terms:
- interface = a surface forming a common boundary between two things
- hard palate = the bony part of the roof of the mouth
- roof of the mouth / palate = the upper surface of the mouth that separates the oral and nasal cavities
- face / side = a surface forming part of the outside of an object
- celestial sphere / vault of heaven / firmament / empyrean / heavens / sphere / welkin = the apparent surface of the imaginary sphere on which celestial bodies appear to be projected
- end = the surface at either extremity of a three-dimensional object
- interior / inside = the inner or enclosed surface of something
- exterior / outside = the outer side or surface of something
- substratum / substrate = a surface on which an organism grows or is attached
- wave front / wavefront = an imaginary surface joining all points in space that are reached at the same instant by a wave propagating through a medium
- photosphere = the intensely luminous surface of a star
- the outermost level of the land or sea
- examples: earthquakes originate far below the surface | three quarters of the Earth's surface is covered by water
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of surface: Earth's surface
- more generic word: layer = a relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
- more specific words:
- part of: geosphere / lithosphere = the solid part of the earth consisting of the crust and outer mantle
- a superficial aspect as opposed to the real nature of something
- information that has become public
- a device that provides reactive force when in motion relative to the surrounding air; can lift or control a plane in flight
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of surface: aerofoil / airfoil / control surface
- more generic word: device = an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
- more specific terms:
- aileron = an airfoil that controls lateral motion
- elevator = the airfoil on the tailplane of an aircraft that makes it ascend or descend
- flaps / flap = a movable airfoil that is part of an aircraft wing
- horizontal stabiliser / horizontal stabilizer / tailplane = the horizontal airfoil of an aircraft's tail assembly that is fixed and to which the elevator is hinged
- rotary wing / rotor blade = the long airfoil that rotates to provide the lift that supports a helicopter in the air
- rudder = a hinged vertical airfoil mounted at the tail of an aircraft and used to make horizontal course changes
- spoiler = a hinged airfoil on the upper surface of an aircraft wing that is raised to reduce lift and increase drag
- spoiler = an airfoil mounted on the rear of a car to reduce lift at high speeds
- stabilizer = airfoil consisting of a device for stabilizing an aircraft
- vertical tail = the vertical airfoil in the tail assembly of an aircraft
- wing = one of the horizontal airfoils on either side of the fuselage of an airplane
Alternative definition of the noun surface
- The up-side of a flat object such as a table.
- synonym: superfice [archaic]
- The outside hull of a tangible object.
- [mathematics] [geometry] The locus of an equation (especially one with exactly two degrees of freedom) in a more-than-two-dimensional space.
Specialised definition of the noun surface
Glossary of sports
the type of ground that a sport is played on (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the adjective surface
What does surface mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more surface / surfacer |
- on the surface
Definition of the verb surface
What does surface mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: surfaced | surfacing | surfaces
- come to the surface
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of surface: come up / rise / rise up
- more generic terms: ascend / go up = travel up
- more specific terms:
- put a coat on; cover the surface of; furnish with a surface
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of surface: coat
- more generic word: cover = provide with a covering or cause to be covered
- more specific terms:
- rubberise / rubberize / rubber = coat or impregnate with rubber
- anodise / anodize = coat a metal with an oxide coat
- gelatinize = coat with gelatin
- skim = coat (a liquid) with a layer
- stucco = coat with stucco
- egg = coat with beaten egg
- encrust / incrust = cover or coat with a crust
- dredge = cover before cooking
- soot = coat with soot
- refinish = give a new surface
- brush on = apply with a brush
- patinate / patinise / patinize = coat with a patina
- resurface = cover with a new surface
- crumb = coat with bread crumbs
- copper = coat with a layer of copper
- finish = provide with a finish
- bonderise / bonderize = coat with a substance that will prevent corrosion
- blacktop = coat with blacktop
- foliate = coat or back with metal foil
- galvanise / galvanize = cover with zinc
- pave = cover with a material such as stone or concrete to make suitable for vehicle traffic
- varnish / seal = cover with varnish
- glaze = coat with a glaze
- tar = coat with tar
- enrobe = provide with a coating
- plaster / daub = coat with plaster
- render = coat with plastic or cement
- skimcoat = coat with a mixture of gypsum and spackle
- paint = apply paint to
- cement = cover or coat with cement
- grit = cover with a grit
- plate = coat with a layer of metal
- metal = cover with metal
- macadamise / macadamize / tarmac = surface with macadam
- size = cover or stiffen or glaze a porous material with size or sizing
- metallize / metalize = coat with metal
- platinize = coat with metallic platinum
- porcelainize = coat with porcelain or a porcelain-like surface
- zinc = coat or cover with zinc
- appear or become visible; make a showing
Alternative definition of the verb surface
- [transitive] To provide something with a surface.
- [transitive] To apply a surface to something.
- [intransitive] To rise to the surface.
- [intransitive] To come out of hiding.
- [intransitive] For information or facts to become known.
- [intransitive] To work a mine near the surface.
- SURFACE is a musical group.
- genre: J-pop
- albums: "Kimi no koe de Kimi no subete de...", "Fate", "Resurface", "Re:START", "ココロのつぼみ", "素直な虹/情熱マイソウル", "夢の続きへ", "Last Attraction", "WARM", "Phase to Fate", "Invitation No.6", "ROOT", "Phase", "さぁ", "なにしてんの", "歌", "NEWS", "アイムファインセンキューアンジュー?", "その先にあるもの", "FLY HIGH", "ゴーイングmy上へ", "それじゃあバイバイ", "As ever", "フレーム", ".5（HALF） / about love", "ジレンマ", "ヌイテル?", "SURFACE", "ボクハミタサレル", "なあなあ"
- Surface was an American music group, active from 1983 to 1994, and best known for its #1 pop and R&B hit "The First Time".
- genres: Pop music, Quiet Storm, Contemporary R&B, Rhythm and blues, Post-disco
- albums: "2nd Wave", "3 Deep", "The Best of Surface: A Nice Time 4 Lovin'", "Perfect 10", "Surface", "The First Time: The Best of Surface", "Love Zone"
- nomination: - nominated to Soul Train Music Award for Best R&B/Soul Single - Group, Band or Duo - "Shower Me with Your Love"
- Surface is a musical group.
- album: "The Beginning Of The End E.P"
- Surface is a musical group formed by Andreas Krämer and Markus Schneider.
There are other groups with in their name, like Surface Noise, Beyond Surface, On The Surface, All One Surface, Surface of Eceon, Under the Surface, Withering Surface, Surface of the Earth and Cats on a Smooth Surface.
- "Surface": Surface is the debut self-titled studio release from the popular late-eighties soul trio. Three years after releasing the heavenly midtempo boogie track "Falling in Love" on Salsoul, Surface released their first album self-produced and released in 1986 on Columbia Records. The album peacked number 11 at Billboard "R&B albums" chart and number 55 at Billboard Top 200 albums chart. At the same time hit single "Happy" peaked number 2 at Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks. The other song, "Lately" peaked at number 8 on the Billboard singles chart.
- "Surface" is the seventh album by the Finnish experimental rock band Circle, led by bass guitarist Jussi Lehtisalo. It is a live recording, split with the Japanese band Marble Sheep, released by Metamorphos/Captain Trip in 1998.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Surface" is a musical album of Noah T.
- released on
- "Surface" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Tom Shear
- "Surface" is a musical EP of Orphx.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Surface" is a musical album of Holger Mantey.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Surface" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Surface" is a musical album of Irreversible.
- released on
- "Surface" is a musical single of Dataworx & Adam Kershen.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "SURFACE" is a musical album of SURFACE.
- released on (13 years ago)
Surface is an American science fiction television series that premiered on NBC on September 19, 2005. The program aired ten episodes before going on hiatus on November 28, 2005 due to NBC's coverage of the 2006 Winter Olympics. It returned for five more episodes, beginning January 2, 2006. On May 15, 2006, NBC officially announced the series' cancellation.
- begun on and completed on (8 years ago)
- 15 episodes of 43 or 60 minutes each
- country: United States of America
- created by Jonas Pate & Josh Pate
- regular cast:
- genres: Science Fiction, Drama
- award: - Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Special Visual Effects - Series nomination for Pierre Drolet, Neal Sopata, David R. Morton, Eric Hance, Steve Fong, Mitch Suskin, Eric Chauvin & John Teska
- Surface: In mathematics, specifically, in topology, a surface is a two-dimensional, topological manifold. The most familiar examples are those that arise as the boundaries of solid objects in ordinary three-dimensional Euclidean space R³ — for example, the surface of a ball. On the other hand, there are surfaces, such as the Klein bottle, that cannot be embedded in three-dimensional Euclidean space without introducing singularities or self-intersections.
- also known as Overflade
- Surface a.k.a. Microsoft Surface: The first-generation Surface is a tablet computer created and sold by Microsoft. The device is has a 10.6 in ClearType Display and runs Microsoft's Windows RT operating system. It is marketed towards the consumer end of the tablet market, but it is still geared towards productivity. Surface can play games, browse the web, edit Microsoft Office documents, access social networks and can be used for a variety of other purposes.
- Surface is an American design, architecture, and fashion magazine. Created in 1993 by Richard Klein, Surface was based in San Francisco until 2005, when the main offices moved to New York City. The magazine is published 10 times a year. In 1994, Vanity Fair named Surface as one of ten "upstart magazines to watch". Of these ten, only Surface and Visionaire still remained in production 10 years later.
- official website: www.surfacemag.com
- Surface is a computer, consumer product.
Phrases with Surface
Phrases starting with the word Surface:
- Surface Car
- surface area
- surface fire
- surface gage
- surface lift
- surface mail
- surface mine
- surface ship
- surface soil
- surface gauge
- surface noise
- Surface water
Phrases ending with the word Surface:
View more phrases with the word Surface in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Surface
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by P. Somasundaran
Surface Structure and Properties of Synthetic and Modified Calcium Hydroxyapatite / Hidekazu Tanaka .
Surface Speciation of Dolomite and Calcite in Aqueous Solutions / Jerzy A. Mielczarski, Jacques Schott, and O. S. ...
Volume 35 - Petroleum Fractions Properties to Phosphoric Acid Plants: Alloy Selection by John J. McKetta Jr
Surface Tension There is a convenient correlation for predicting the dynamic surface tension ...
by P. Somasundaran
n upon the scaled total surface charge Q = (ze/kT)Q/4n£,E0a ( note that Q is always positive). There is a critical value of Q*(QC* = ln( !/</>)) separating case 1 (low surface charge case) and case 2 (high surface charge case).
by Jeanne Dancette, Léon F. Wegnez, Christophe Réthoré
improvement store, builjlÆg-and-renovation warehouse center “m grande surface de bricolage (Fn), GSB (Fr.), maisonnerie (Fr.), centre de rénovation (Que ) ...
by Nicholas D. Spencer, John H. Moore
Introduction Numerous technological processes involve removal of material from a solid surface by etching, or addition of new material to a solid surface (in this case called the substrate) by deposition. Both classes of reactions have ...
Surface. Movements. Due. to. Strip. Mining. Strip mining is that the coal steam is divided into regular strips in rectangular shape, then extracting every second strip (mining width, b) and left the middle strip (pillar width, a) unextracted. The pillars ...
Including dimensionless numbers and scales by H. G. Jerrard
Sverdrup 137 Surface flatness (or roughness) • In workshop practice there are two systems for expressing surface flatness. These are the M (mean line) and the E (envelope) systems. Flatness in both systems is expressed as the distance ...
The remainder reaches the ground surface where some is reflected and the rest is absorbed. The Earth's surface has a mean emission temperature of about 288° K as a result of solar heating. Thus terrestrial radiation is in the longer ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Surface
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Surface
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: RATATATO
Photo credit: HaleyDara
Photo credit: pellesten
Photo credit: a200/a77Wells
This image was created with FractalWorks, a high performance fractal renderer for Macintosh computers. You can purchase FractalWorks in the Mac App Store
Photo credit: Kent Schimke
Photo credit: Arenamontanus
- Cut Surface
A recent storm brought down an old oak tree.
Photo credit: jochenspieker
- Solid surface
Glueing up solid surface cabinet top
Photo credit: jasonwoodhead23
- En surface
Photo credit: Julien Carnot
View more pictures about Microsoft Surface.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Surface
Click on an item to play that video:
- Surface Meaning
Video shows what surface means. The overside or up-side of a flat object such as a table, or of a liquid.. The outside hull of a tangible object.. Outward or ...
- Developable surface Meaning
Video shows what developable surface means. A surface (in more than two dimensions, a plane is trivially developable) that can be flattened into a plane ...
- Caustic surface Meaning
Video shows what caustic surface means. A surface to which rays reflected or refracted by another surface are tangents.. caustic surface pronunciation. How to ...
- Steel connections problem: bearing surface definition
Defining the bearing surface for a bolt connection in bending or axial compression is a main step toward connection checks. This typical problem is here ...
- Surface 1 SA/00A 1:48 Explanation
What you want for a 1:48. Video is Clemens' Surface 1 SA 1:48.
- Surface Definition
Deadline 1- Video 1: Surface Definition Sophie.
- English Vocabulary Lesson - Surface
- Datum surface Meaning
Video shows what datum surface means. A surface on a workpiece that establishes a datum.. Datum surface Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Steel connections terminology: Bearing Surface (no-tension)
Bolt layouts in bending use the contact-pressure with a bearing surface to carry the applied loads. In this video the bearing surface definition is discussed.
- Surface Definition of Calcium
Created by PowToon for Basic Food Science presentation.-- Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Step 3 Surface Definition Choices
- Multi Axis Roughing - Lesson 11 - Floor Surface Definition
Multi Axis Roughing - Lesson 11 - Floor Surface Definition.
- Heating surface Meaning
Video shows what heating surface means. In a steam boiler, the aggregate surface exposed to fire or to the heated products of combustion, especially of all the ...
- Tutorial - Definition of surface properties in the Daylight visualizer
Animated tutorial presents how surface properties are defined in the Daylight visualizer.
- Feature Definition - Linear, Point, Surface
This video demonstrates the differences in Feature Definitions.
- Multivariable calculus 4.5.1: Definition of a parametrized surface
For the complete list of videos for this course...
- Word Up | Rose - The Meaning of Space / Surface / Harlesden Funeral / Love is like...
Word Up is a spoken word night on the first Monday of every month at Le Junction in Harlesden. Check us out on facebook: ...
- Explanation for the Slick Surface of Yellow Jacket Cord Protectors
Eric from Yellow Jacket explains the slippery surface of Yellow Jacket products. For more info, check out...
- Undercoat & Color Chip Application Explanation: Resinous (epoxy) Surface Coating
The professional application of the undercoat and color chips are explained by Adam Walsh from YourPerfectFloor.
- Set Surface Language
Learn how to change the operating system language on your Microsoft Surface tablet (or other Windows 8.x computer). From...
- Surface Pro 3 aids Cicero ESL students
Cicero School District takes English as a Second Language (ESL) learning to the next level with Surface Pro 3. The district's goal was to cater to these ESL ...
- Surface Pro 3 How to change language keyboards and type accent marks
- VALBUENA TOMBE DANS LA SURFACE, DESCRIPTION #humour
- Planar Surface Description
- Developing Python Components 10 | Creating a Dictionary of Surface Points
- English Self-Study Video for ESL Students - Lesson 204 - alongside, surface, shush
English Online Lesson for ESL Beginners SCRIPT A path runs alongside the river. The frog has surfaced. The person is shushing. A) People are walking along ...
- Surface Pro 3 aids Cicero ESL students
Cicero School District takes English as a Second Language (ESL) learning to the next level with Surface Pro 3. The district's goal was to cater to these ESL .
- Description of a Steren 301-152 Dual Port Surface Mount Network Jack
Steren 301-152 Blue Dot Supply Item # STE.301.152 Category-5E Surface Jack sometimes called a Surface Mount Biscuit Block Jack Category-5E UL Verified ...
- What Is The Definition Of Palmar surface Medical School Terminology Dictionary
View more videos about The Surface, Surface area, Fermi surface, Faying surface, Surface energy, Surface mining, Surface runoff, control surface, Minimal surface, Riemann surface, Seifert surface, Surface Clutter, Surface tension, Surface texture, Surface integral, Microsoft Surface, and Equipotential Surface.
See also the pronunciation examples of Surface!
Quotes about Surface
I just love real characters, they're not pretentious, and every emotion is on the surface, they're regular working people. Their likes, their dislikes, their loves, their hates, their passions; they're all right there on the surface. (David O. Russell)
more quotes about surface...
Scrabble value of S1U1R1F4A1C3E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Surface to see it in context!