The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun superior:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective superior
- Definition of the noun superior
- Phrases with Superior
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Superior
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Superior
- Photos about Superior
- Videos about Superior
- Quotes about Superior
- Scrabble value of S1U1P3E1R1I1O1R1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective superior
What does superior mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more superior / most superior
- of high or superior quality or performance
- examples: superior wisdom derived from experience | superior math students
- antonym: inferior
- similar: A-one / ace / crack / first-rate / super / tiptop / top-notch / topnotch / tops; banner; blue-ribbon / select; boss / brag; brilliant / superb; capital; choice / prime / prize / quality / select; excellent / fantabulous / first-class / ripping / splendid; gilt-edged; greatest / sterling / superlative; high-performance; outstanding; classic; out of the ordinary / out of this world; premium; pucka / pukka; shining; spiffing; supreme; top-flight / top-hole / topping; surpassing / transcendent; weapons-grade; well-made
- attribute: caliber / calibre / quality = a degree or grade of excellence or worth
- see also: best
- of or characteristic of high rank or importance
- (sometimes followed by `to') not subject to or influenced by
- examples: overcome by a superior opponent | trust magnates who felt themselves superior to law
- similar: dominant
- written or printed above and to one side of another character
- having an orbit farther from the sun than the Earth's orbit
- having a higher rank
- (often followed by `to') above being affected or influenced by
- examples: he is superior to fear | an ignited firework proceeds superior to circumstances until its blazing vitality fades
- adjective position: predicative adjective (it occurs after a verb that follows the noun)
- similar: unaffected
Alternative definition of the adjective superior
- Higher in quality.
- antonym: inferior
- Higher in rank.
- Located above.
- Being greater or better than average; extraordinary.
Definition of the noun superior
What does superior mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: superiors
- one of greater rank or station or quality
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of superior: higher-up / superordinate
- antonym of superior: inferior
- more generic word: leader = a person who rules or guides or inspires others
- more specific words:
- the head of a religious community
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic word: religious = a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience
- more specific terms:
- a combatant who is able to defeat rivals
- a character or symbol set or printed or written above and immediately to one side of another character
Alternative definition of the noun superior
- A person of higher rank or quality.
- The senior person in a monastic community.
Specialised definition of the noun superior
Glossary of sports
used for describing a body part that is situated in the upper half of the body (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- Superior is a city in, and the county seat of, Douglas County in the State of Wisconsin. The population was 27,244 at the 2010 census. Located at the junction of U.S. Highway 2 and U.S. Highway 53, it is immediately north of and adjacent to both the Village of Superior and the Town of Superior. Its neighborhoods include Billings Park, North End, South Superior, Central Park, East End, Allouez, and Itasca. Billings Park, South Superior, East End, and North End each have small business districts.
- Superior is a town in Pinal County, Arizona, United States. According to the 2010 census, the population of the town is 2,837.
- Superior is a Statutory Town in Boulder County in the U.S. state of Colorado, with a small, uninhabited segment of land area extending into Jefferson County . According to the 2010 census, the population of the city was 12,483.
- Superior is a city in Nuckolls County, Nebraska, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,957.
- Superior is a town in and the county seat of Mineral County, Montana, United States. The population was 812 at the 2010 census. Superior was named after its founders' hometown of Superior, Wisconsin in 1869. The post office was established in 1871 after Mineral County became the site of one of the largest gold strikes that helped settle the West.
- Superior is a town in Sweetwater County, Wyoming, United States. The population was 336 at the 2010 census.
- Superior is a city in Dickinson County, Iowa, United States. The population was 130 at the 2010 census.
- Superior: The Town of Superior is a town in Douglas County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 2,058 at the 2000 census. The Village of Superior is located within the town. The City of Superior is located immediately north and adjacent to both the Town of Superior and the Village of Superior.
- Superior a.k.a. Superior Township: Superior Charter Township is a charter township of Washtenaw County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 13,058 at the 2010 census.
- read more about Superior Township (town)
- Superior a.k.a. Superior, West Virginia: Superior is an unincorporated community in McDowell County, West Virginia, United States. Superior is located on U.S. Route 52 2.5 miles east-southeast of Welch.
- read more about Superior, West Virginia
There are other places with in their name, like Lake Superior, Instituto Superior Técnico, Lake Superior Provincial Park, Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Lake Superior State University, University of Wisconsin-Superior, University of Wisconsin–Superior, Escola Superior Agrária de Coimbra, Centro de Enseñanza Técnica y Superior, Escuela Superior de Música Reina Sofía, Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad, Conservatori Superior de Música del Liceu, Conservatorio Nacional Superior de Música, Escola Superior de Propaganda e Marketing, Instituto Superior de Engenharia de Lisboa, Instituto Superior de Engenharia de Coimbra.
Phrases with Superior
Phrases starting with the word Superior:
- superior court
- superior skill
- superior planet
- superior rectus
- Superior Tarsal
- superior general
- Superior Oblique
Phrases ending with the word Superior:
- act superior
- Dalla Superior
- Limit Superior
- father superior
- mother superior
- Nodita Superior
- Porina Superior
- rectus superior
- Bactris Superior
- Nodaria Superior
- Cloeodes Superior
- Clostera Superior
- Pannaria Superior
View more phrases with the word Superior in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Superior
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge : Illustrated with Upwards of 150 Elegant Engravings. A - B. 1 by William Nicholson
Superior and inferior palpebral upwards between the jaw and the car, being . - branches. imbedded in the substance of the parotid ' g. Nasal artery. . gland. ' I1. Frontal artery. - . 2. Communicating branch. Bram-hes of the external carotid artery ...
by Abraham Rees
Q/a temporalia - - ConstriStores pharyngis superiores - Pharynx. 0s hyoides - T - - - - Constric, pharyng. medii - - Pharynx. OS SPHENOIDA.L.E. Maxilla inferior. - - Q/a temp. pariet, malar. frontale Temporales - Maxilla superior - - - - Pterygoidei ...
Mosby's Dental Dictionary (2007)
by Elsevier, Mosby
Table C-2 Maxillary injections Injection Needle Structures anesthetized Penetration site Terminal deposition site Amount deposited Anterior superior alveolar (ASA) Short 1. Facial gingiva of maxillary anterior teeth 2. Maxillary anterior teeth ...
by Ross M. Mullner
Based on benchmarking results, best practices can be identified and adopted, thus achieving superior performance. Benchmarking is useful in healthcare for both operational and ...
Illustrated Keys to Known Families, Genera, and Species in South America by Charles W. Heckman
Viewed dorsally, each superior anal appendage appears much longer than its width at the base (Fig.
by Michel Millodot
S spherical power single binocular vision soft contact lens superior epithelial arcuate lesion (see staining, fluorescein) Swedish Interactive Thresholding Algorithm superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis SLO scanning laser ophthalmoscope SLP ...
by Mary Miles Prince
( Superior Court Reports (N.Y.) Sand. R., Sand. S.C., Sand. S.C.R.,Sand. Sup. Ct.Rep., Sandf. R. (N.Y.),Sandf. S.C.R., Sandf. Sup. Ct., Sandf. Superior Court R., Sandford, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Superior
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Superior
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: wstuben
View more pictures about Lake Superior.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Superior
Click on an item to play that video:
- Evidence for John Lash's Jewmanity being "superior by definition"
Evidence abounds for the supremacist teachings of the Talmud, all created by so-called Jews who actually claimed God checks with them before acting!
- Superior Meaning
Video shows what superior means. Higher in quality.. Higher in rank..
- Divide and Diversify a Superior Definition of Freedom
This is the go to video for a quick overview of the Divide and Diversify philosophy of government.
- Learn Vocabulary and Pronunciation English Lesson 11: Superior baby education
This new vocabulary and pronunciation lesson will help you learn new word through interesting lessons of a bizarre nature. Your host, Teacher Phil, is an ...
- Superior colliculus Meaning
Video shows what superior colliculus means. A structure on the tectum that receives neural projections directly from the retina.. The primary area of the brain ...
- Dialect vs Superior
- SHANY Superior Low Light IP Camera, new definition of safety at night
2014 Secutech Low Light & WDR IP Camera Awards Winner SHANY Superior low light IP camera Series Color : 0.03lux @ Shutter 1/30 Shutter speed in low ...
- Robbins Explanation 620/646 Superior
- VOA Special English, From meaning and usage, Superior
- Superior good Meaning
Video shows what superior good means. a good that makes up a larger proportion of consumption as income rises, having income elasticity greater than one.
- What Is The Definition Of Vena cava, superior
- (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #1
TRANSCRIPT (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #1 1) There has been a new discovery in the field of memory. 2) It is called superior autobiographical ...
- Adults: Superior Language Learners
Fact: You have never been more prepared to learn a new language than you are right now. Contrary to popular myth, older learners are better at quick and ...
- (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #2
TRANSCRIPT (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #2 1) Dr. McGaw is the first to study superior autobiographical memory. 2) He quizzed Louise to find out ...
- City 311 Uses Natural Language to Deliver Superior Customer Experience
Nuance Natural Language Understanding (NLU) serves as a foundation for City 311 self-service solutions that deliver unprecedented flexibility, efficiency and ...
- (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #3
TRANSCRIPT (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #3 1) The actress told the journalist that she could rattle off almost every single time they had seen each ...
- (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #5
TRANSCRIPT (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #5 1) Dr. McGaw is doing MRI scans of all the subjects' brains. 2) He hopes to find some clues that ...
- (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #4
TRANSCRIPT (ESL) Superior Autobiographical Memory #4 1) The journalist brought all six memory wizards together to meet each other. 2) Dr. McGaw kicked ...
- WHO IS THE MOST SUPERIOR AFTER PROPHET OF ISLAM-CC & DESCRIPTION
- Superior Kia - Easy Dictionary
- Pick3stats Pro: "Superior Pick 3 lottery software Share. Description"
- Smart Phone Application: a Superior Tool to Learn a New Language
Video presented by Ali Soyoof, Islamic Azad University, Shiraz Branch (Iran) at the sixth edition of the international conference ICT for Language Learning, ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Superior!
Quotes about Superior
Scrabble value of S1U1P3E1R1I1O1R1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Superior to see it in context!