Sum of Money
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun sum of money:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sum of money
What does sum of money mean as a name of something?
- a quantity of money
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonyms of sum of money: amount / amount of money / sum
- more generic word: assets = anything of material value or usefulness that is owned by a person or company
- more specific terms:
- gain = the amount by which the revenue of a business exceeds its cost of operating
- receipts / revenue / gross = the entire amount of income before any deductions are made
- cash surrender value = the amount that the insurance company will pay on a given life insurance policy if the policy is cancelled prior to the death of the insured
- contribution = an amount of money contributed
- deductible = an amount that can be deducted
- defalcation = the sum of money that is misappropriated
- red ink / loss / red = the amount by which the cost of a business exceeds its revenue
- figure = an amount of money expressed numerically
- insurance coverage / coverage = the total amount and type of insurance carried
- cash advance / advance = an amount paid before it is earned
- paysheet / payroll = the total amount of money paid in wages
- peanuts = an insignificant sum of money
- purse = a sum of money offered as a prize
- purse = a sum of money spoken of as the contents of a money purse
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sum of Money
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Douglass C. North
The sum of money is a command over resources. Institutions determine how costly it is to make the exchange. The costs consist of the resources necessary to measure both the legal and physical attributes being exchanged, the costs of ...
Inflation and Unemployment (2005)
Contributions to a New Macroeconomic Approach by Mauro Baranzini, Alvaro Cencini
It is precisely because a sum of money is a sum of numbers that national accountancy provides a true (scientific) measure of the national output. The magnitudes that we have defined so far are all real, since the national income denotes the ...
The Law Times Reports of Cases Decided in the House of Lords, the Privy Council, the Court of Appeal ... [new Series] (1893)
the breach of a number of stipulations varying in importance, then necessarily a large sum of money is the penalty. The Master of the Rolls, after going through all the cases, states— and the other members of the Court of Appeal agree with ...
Vocabulary Building by Manik Joshi
A sum of money that is given to an organization or a person in order to help them -- Donation 24. Misappropriation of money -- Embezzlement 25. Act of deceiving somebody in order to make money -- Fraud 26. That is received from ancestors ...
An Encyclopedia of Modern Money Management by Barbara Friedberg
For example, future value calculations can help estimate the future value of a sum of money deposited today in a savings account after a specified period of time. The interest rate is the key component in the calculation. Simply, future value ...
Containing Historical Remarks on the Interests, Connections, Forces, Revenues, Wealth, Credit, Debts, Taxes, Commerce, Manufactures, &c. of the Different States of Europe : Digested Alphabetically : ... Useful to the Gentleman, Merchant, and Farmer
A small sum of money advanced in a bounty, preserves to the nation an immense amount ...
by William Nicholson
REVERSION, a sum of money, estate, annuity, or any other kind of property, the possession of which is not to be obtained till after the expiration of a certain period of time, or till some event, as the failure of a life or lives, has happened.
by Jacques Fomerand
Invariably, the value of the work done by a bonded laborer is greater that the original sum of money borrowed or advanced.” Defined as such, debt bondage is prohibited by the United Nations 1956 Supplementary Convention on the Abolition ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sum of Money
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sum of Money
Click on an item to view that photo:
Inherit a large sum of money
Photo credit: quinn.anya
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sum of Money to see it in context!