The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb stand up:
On this page:
- Definition of the verb stand up
- Phrases with Stand Up
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stand Up
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stand Up
- Photos about Stand Up
- Video language resources about Stand Up
- Sign language
- Quotes about Stand Up
- Anagrams of STAND UP
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb stand up
What does stand up mean as a doing phrase?
- rise to one's feet
- refuse to back down; remain solid under criticism or attack
- put into an upright position
- be standing; be upright
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of stand up: stand
- more generic word: rest = not move
- more specific terms:
- entailment: arise / get up / rise / uprise = rise to one's feet
- defend against attack or criticism
- resist or withstand wear, criticism, etc.
- rise up as in fear
Alternative definition of the verb stand up
- [intransitive] To rise from a lying or sitting position.
- [transitive] To bring something up and set it into a standing position.
- [transitive, idiomatic] To avoid a prearranged meeting, especially a date, with (a person); to jilt or shirk.
- [intransitive, of a thing] To last or endure over a period of time.
- [intransitive, of a person or narrative] To continue to be believable, consistent, or plausible.
- [intransitive, cricket, of a wicket-keeper] To stand immediately behind the wicket so as to catch balls from a slow or spin bowler, and to attempt to stump the batsman.
- [transitive] To launch, propel upwards
STAND UP is a national campaign that seeks to positively impact the current crisis within the United States public education system by calling upon community leaders, parents, students and citizens to encourage change and STAND UP for better schools and the future of America’s children. STAND UP was founded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Eli Broad Foundation, and was launched in April 2006 on The Oprah Winfrey Show in a two-part feature.
- official website: www.standup.org
- "Stand Up" is the second album by Jethro Tull; it quickly went to number 1 in the UK while a single, "Sweet Dream", rose to number 5.
- "Stand Up" is a song by Ludacris, released as the second official single in 2003, and taken from his fourth album Chicken-n-Beer. It was his first number-one single, with production by Kanye West and co-production by Ludacris himself.
- music by Ludacris
- "Stand Up" is the sixth album by Dave Matthews Band, released on May 10, 2005. It was produced by Mark Batson. It was their fourth straight number one album on the Billboard 200. The album was the last to feature full participation from the band's saxophonist, LeRoi Moore, who died during the early production stages of the following album Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King.
- "Stand Up" is the third Korean mini album by South Korean boy band Big Bang, released by YG Entertainment. The mini album sold over 166,000 copies and contained the hit song "하루하루" or "Day by Day", better known as 'Haru Haru' which managed to achieve as much success as Big Bang's latest hits, "Lies" and "Last Farewell". "Haru Haru" became one of the most successful singles of all-time in South Korea, selling 4,972,770 digital downloads in South Korea alone.
- "Stand Up" a.k.a. "Stand Up (For the Champions)" is a song by British band Right Said Fred from their album Stand Up in 2002.
- read more about Stand Up (For the Champions)
- "Stand Up" a.k.a. "Stand Up!" was The Archers fifth studio album and fourth Light Records release. It was co-produced by Elvis Presley’s TCB Band keyboardist Larry Muhoberac and studio engineer John Guess.
- "Stand Up" is the second studio album by guitarist Steve Morse, released in 1985 through Elektra Records.
- "Stand Up" is a song recorded by New Zealand band The Feelers for their third studio album, Playground Battle. Written by band singer James Reid, the song reached number seventeen on the New Zealand Singles Chart and won the New Zealand Music Award for Radio Airplay Record of the Year. Stan Walker covered the song in 2010.
- "Stand Up" is a song by Japanese singer-songwriter Mai Kuraki from her second studio album, Perfect Crime. It was released as the third single from the album on April 18, 2001. The lyrics to the song were penned by Kuraki and the track was produced by Akihito Tokunaga. The single peaked at number two on the Oricon Singles Chart and was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of Japan. It has sold about 476,000 copies in Japan as of October 2014. The single's jacket image was compared to that of Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run.
- "Stand Up" is the fifth album by British pop group Right Said Fred. It debuted in the top ten of the German Albums Chart, following the success of their previous album Fredhead in the country. The album's lone single "Stand Up" went on to become a heavily used track at sports events all over the world. The song also reached #1 in Japan.
- "Stand Up" is the second studio album by the CCM band Everyday Sunday. The album was released on September 24, 2002 through Flicker Records.
- "Stand Up" is the debut single for Trapt's second album Someone in Control. It received radio airplay on July 12, 2005, and receives regular play-time at the Air Canada Centre during the pre-game warm-up of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club.
- "Stand Up" is a musical album of Leslie Cheung.
- released in (29 years ago)
- "Stand Up" is a song by Australian rock band Jet from their second album Shine On. It is rumored to be the fourth single off the album, and was released as the album's third and final single in the United States. The song has been featured in commercials on the Discovery Channel for the highlights of 2007.
- Stand Up a.k.a. Stand Up!! is a Japanese television drama which ran weekly for three months in 2003. The drama, which stars Kazunari Ninomiya of Arashi and Tomohisa Yamashita of NEWS, centers around the lives of the last four virgins left in their highschool as they struggle to lose their virginity over their final high school summer vacation. A 6-DVD Box Set featuring all eleven episodes, as well as six individual volumes were released in Japan on December 18, 2003.
- begun on and completed on (12 years ago)
- 11 episodes of 45 or 60 minutes each
- country: Japan
- regular cast:
- genres: Japanese television drama, Drama
- award: - 10th Rendora 110Award for Best Actor, received by Kazunari Ninomiya
- "Stand Up" is a 2008 film directed by Joseph Pierce.
- "Stand Up": Get ready for the hilarious film that brings together some of today's best Latina comediennes in America.Starring Mexicana Marilyn Martinez, New York City's Sara Contreras, Cubana Monique Marvez, and Tejana Sandra Valls.
- Stand Up is a tv program.
- begun in (26 years ago)
- country: United Kingdom
- genres: Comedy, Drama
- Stand Up a.k.a. Stand-up: A stand-up roller coaster is a roller coaster designed to have the passengers stand through the course of the ride. These roller coasters are very intense, and generally carry taller height restrictions than other rides.
- also known as Stand-up roller coaster
- stand up a.k.a. Stand-up meeting: A stand-up meeting is a meeting with attendees typically standing. The discomfort of standing for long periods helps to keep the meetings short.
- read more about Stand-up meeting
- Stand Up is the title of a song recorded by American country music artist Mel McDaniel. It was released in September 1985 as the lead single and title track from McDaniel's album Stand Up. It peaked at number 5 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart and at number 3 on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks chart. It was written by Bruce Channel, Ricky Ray Rector, and Sonny Throckmorton.
- Stand Up is the debut single by New Zealand rapper Scribe, from his album, The Crusader. It was released as a double A-side with "Not Many".
- Stand Up is the debut single released by Australian folk rock group, The Triffids in July 1981. The production by Peter Simpson for the Shake Some Action label was the prize for the band winning a song competition in late 1980. The competition was sponsored by the Western Australian Institute of Technology Student Guild’s radio show on 6NR.
Phrases with Stand Up
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stand Up
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Bashgali Dictionary (2001)
An Analysis of Colonel J. Davidson's Notes on the Bashgali Language by Sten Konow
to rise, stand up ; to blow. The following forms occur in the sentences : — Infinitive, oshtasth dugâ, for rising, for starting, 1383. Conjunctive participle, oshti, having risen; oshti giats, having risen fetch, rise and call, 283. Present 3rd pers.
Encyclopedia of Community (2003)
From the Village to the Virtual World by DAVID LEVINSON, KAREN CHRISTENSEN
The Digger Song, by Gerrard Winstanley You noble Diggers all, stand up now, stand up now, You noble Diggers all, stand up now, The wast land to maintain, seeing Cavaliers by name Your digging does maintain, and persons all defame ...
3,000 Words to Stop Using Now by Dave Dowling
up push up raise up ramp up ratchet up rest up rewind up rile up rise up saddle up send it up serve up settle up shore up shrivel up sit up speed up spruce up staff up stand up start up stir up straighten up study up tense up tidy up tighten up.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stand Up
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Stand Up
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Stand up
Photo credit: @markheybo
- Stand Up
Photo credit: Roberto_Ventre
- Stand Up
Photo credit: saikoxix
- Stand Up 2008 Ceremony
Photo credit: RockEthicsPSU
- Stand Up 2010 Awards Ceremony
Photo credit: RockEthicsPSU
- Stand up!
Seba rockin' fixed
Photo credit: Hagbard_
- Stand Up 2010 Awards Ceremony
Photo credit: RockEthicsPSU
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Stand Up
Click on an item to play that video:
- Stand up Meaning
Video shows what stand up means. To rise from a lying or sitting position.. To bring something up and set it into a standing position.. To avoid a prearranged ...
- Stand Up Monte Effect 5 (Explanation)
- Stand Up Monte Effect 3 (Explanation)
- Stand Up Monte Effect 4 (Explanation)
- THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS STAND UP FIR RIGHTS.
- ESL Warmer: Yes, No, Stand up
This video is about ESL Warmer: Yes, No, Stand up.
- [ESL song] Pinocchio / Stand up, sit down
This is from English language text book published by YBM for elementary school students in Korea. (year 2011-2013) This song is based on the Role play ...
- Wits Language School Stand Up
Students in the Language School stood up with people around the world calling for an end to poverty. The students represent different nationalities.
- EFL / ESL Teaching Tip:Sit down, Stand up, Kneel
This is Autumn, the Deputy Head of Teacher Training, sharing a fun activity for your to use in your language class.
- Stand Up - Phrasal Verbs - ESL British English Pronunciation
- [ESL song] Stand up, please
This is from English language text book published by Chunjae for elementary school students in Korea. (year 2011-2013)
- [ESL chant] Stand up
This is from English language text book published by YBM for elementary school students in Korea. (year 2011-2013)
- Stand Up : "Back To Basic (Mengenali Fitrah)" | Street Dawah - HeavenHolic (Sunda Language)
STREET DAWAH- Stand Up : "Back To Basic (Mengenali Fitrah)" | HeavenHolic (Sunda language) Sebuah ekspresi dari salah satu kumpulan berandalan yang ...
- ESL Stand up game
This is a fun game suitable for children between 7 and 12. It is great for reviewing vocabulary or other topics like counting and the alphabet. The students (using ...
- [ESL chant] Stand up
- Stand Up Act 6-3-13 (Waning: Some Language)
- MSU TCTO Language Teachers dancing Jai Ho and Just Stand Up
- English Language School of Cape Town Stand Up Paddle Boarding 20130213 3
See also the pronunciation examples of Stand Up!
Stand Up - Sugarland Sign language
Sign language students perform the song "Stand Up" by Sugarland. Song and video used with permission.
Quotes about Stand Up
Anagrams of STAND UP
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Stand Up!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Stand Up to see it in context!