On this page:
- Definition of the verb slither
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Slither
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Slither
- Usage statistics about slither
- Photos about Slither
- Video language resources about Slither
- Quotes about Slither
- Scrabble value of S1L1I1T1H4E1R1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb slither
What does slither mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: slithered | slithering | slithers
- to pass or move unobtrusively or smoothly
- example: Tom saw a snake slither across the path.
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] [Path Preposition] [Location] There jumped a little white rabbit out of the box there [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location, concrete] [Theme, indefinite] There jumped out of the box a little white rabbit [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] He skated Penny | Tom jumped the horse [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] Tom jumped the horse over the fence [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] The horse jumped [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Location, concrete] The horse jumped the stream [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] to / into [Oblique 2, state] Claire skated her skates blades to shreds | She waltzed herself to sickness | We walked ourselves into a state of exhaustion [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] [Path Preposition] [Oblique 2] Tom ran the soles off his shoes [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] The horse jumped over the fence [Path Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] Out of the box jumped a little white rabbit
Verbs of Motion (with the same syntax): amble, backpack, bolt, bounce, bound, bowl, canter, carom, cavort, charge, clamber, climb, clump, coast, crawl, creep, dart, dash, dodder, drift, file, flit, float, fly, frolic, gallop, gambol, glide, goose step, hasten, hike, hobble, hop, hurry, hurtle, inch, jog, journey, jump, leap, limp, lollop, lope, lumber, lurch, march, meander, mince, mosey, nip, pad, parade, perambulate, plod, prance, promenade, prowl, race, ramble, roam, roll, romp, rove, run, rush, sashay, saunter, scamper, scoot, scram, scramble, scud, scurry, scuttle, shamble, shuffle, sidle, skedaddle, skip, skitter, skulk, sleepwalk, slide, slink, slog, slouch, sneak, somersault, speed, stagger, step, stomp, stray, streak, stride, stroll, strut, stumble, stump, swagger, sweep, swerve, swim, tack, tear, tiptoe, toddle, toil, totter, tour, traipse, tramp, travel, trek, troop, trot, trudge, trundle, vault, waddle, wade, walk, wander, weave, whiz, zigzag, zoom.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of slither: slide
- more generic words: go / locomote / move / travel = change location
Alternative definition of the verb slither
- To move about smoothly and from side to side.
- [intransitive] To slide
- "Slither" is a 2006 American science fiction-comedy horror film written and directed by James Gunn in his directorial debut, and starring Nathan Fillion, Elizabeth Banks, Gregg Henry, and Michael Rooker. The film was produced by Paul Brooks and Eric Newman.
- also known as Slither: La plaga
- countries: United States of America, Canada
- language: English Language
- producers: Eric Newman, Thomas Bliss, Paul Brooks
- written by James Gunn
- Nathan Fillion as Bill Pardy
- Michael Rooker as Grant Grant
- Elizabeth Banks as Starla Grant
- Gregg Henry as Jack MacReady
- Brenda James as Brenda Gutierrez
- Don Thompson as Wally
- Jenna Fischer as Shelby
- Tania Saulnier as Kylie Strutemyer
- Dustin Milligan as Drawing Boy
- Lorena Gale as Janene
- Jennifer Copping as Margaret
- Xantha Radley as Uptight Mom
- Haig Sutherland as Trevor
- Zak Ludwig as Gina Kid
- Kathryn Kirkpatrick as Karaoke Woman
- Bart Anderson as Butcher
- Corb Lund as Lead Singer
- Rob Zombie as Dr. Karl
- Lloyd Kaufman as Sad Drunk
- Tom Heaton as Tourneur
- Ben Cotton as Charlie
- Dee Jay Jackson as Dwight
- Matreya Fedor as Emily Strutemyer
- Amber Lee Bartlett as Jenna Strutemyer
- William McDonald as Mr. Strutemyer
- Iris Quinn as Mrs. Strutemyer
- Michael Cromien as Fitzgibbon
- Robert Musnicki as Diseased Leader
- Stephen Park as Gleeked on Guy
- Mary Black as Woman in Basement
- Malcolm Scott as Dude Joining Grant
- Nicholas Podbrey as Diseased Grant Part 1
- Jeny Cassady as Diseased Grant Part 2
- Alette Falle as Diseased Grant Part 3
- Darren Shahlavi as Brenda's Husband
- Matt McInnis as Head-Shot Norman
- Magda Apanowicz as Friend
- James Gunn as Hank
- Rick Morwick as Truckdriver
- music by Tyler Bates
- set decoration by Shane Vieau
- genres: Science Fiction, Horror, Black comedy, Horror comedy, Comedy
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Slither" is a 1973 comedy film starring James Caan. It was directed by Howard Zieff.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- art direction by Dale Hennesy
- cinematography by László Kovács
- edited by David Bretherton
- music by Tom McIntosh
- genres: Road movie, Thriller, Crime Fiction, Comedy
- released on (42 years ago)
- award: - Writers Guild of America Award for Best Original Comedy nomination for W. D. Richter
"Slither" is a video game.
- genre: Action game
- released on (32 years ago)
- Slither is a fictional character, a snake-like mutant in the Marvel Comics Universe. His first appearance was in Captain America Annual #4 and was created by Jack Kirby.
- created by Jack Kirby
- Slither is a fictional character from the 2012 film Treasure Buddies.
- "Slither" is a song by American hard rock band Velvet Revolver, featured on their 2004 debut album Contraband. When it was released as the second single from the album in 2004, "Slither" topped both the American Billboard Mainstream Rock and Modern Rock charts, as well as reaching number 56 on the main Billboard Hot 100 chart and number 35 on the UK Singles Chart.
- "Slither" is the fourth full-length album by the American metalcore band Earth Crisis, released in 2000. With this album, Earth Crisis returned to Victory Records after releasing Breed the Killers on Roadrunner Records in 1998. The album ventured into the nu metal sound influenced in 90 metal bands Korn, Slipknot, Biohazard and Machine Head.
- "Slither" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Slither" is a musical album of Tyler Bates.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Slither" is a musical single of Opeth.
- released on
- "Slither" is a musical single of Velvet Revolver.
- released on (10 years ago)
Who is Slither?
Slither a.k.a. The Boogeyman: Martin "Marty" Wright is an American professional wrestler best known for his time with World Wrestling Entertainment under the ring name The Boogeyman.
- read more about The Boogeyman
- Slither is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
- Slither is an application designed to track the movement of C. elegans worms in a laboratory environment. It was developed by the Small Neural Systems Group of Dr. Catharine Rankin, at the Brain Research Centre located at the University of British Columbia.
- official website: www.slither.thevertigo.com
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Slither
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Combinatorial Optimization (2011)
by William J. Cook, William H. Cunningham, William R. Pulleyblank, Alexander Schrijver
Slither is a two-person game played on a graph G = (V, E). The players, called First and...
by Angie Papple Johnston
slide Slither is a verb that means to slide ...
A Complete Reference Guide by Brett Weiss
Slither is a fast and furious game that Centipede fans will love.
Rumba Dance Encyclopedi (2009)
And Related Dances by Thomas L. Nelson
Slither or Slip: A probably Unteadable, General, Progressive Traveling Singular or Coupledance Movement, Figure, or Activity Pattern. To Slither is a kind of Walk , which are Movements belonging to the Walk(l) Genre, which in turn belongs to ...
Local Etymology (1859)
A Derivative Dictionary of Geographical Names by Richard Stephen Charnock
Slither is a north country word signifying idle, lazy, sluggish, and may come from A. S. hlithe. Latherpwll would signify in the Anc. Brit, "smooth pool." The W. llathr is glossy, polished, glittering; llathru, to make smooth; llithrig, sliding, gliding, ...
More Than 600 Science Activities Written by Teachers for Teachers by Kathy Charner
Slither. and. Crawl. Science skills The children observe closely and work on social skills. Materials 22" x 28" (55 cm x 70 cm) sheet of white poster board Reptile/insect wrapping paper with repeating ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
tidy, wily, wise slide: chute, coast, decline, downswing, downturn, elide, fall, flow, glide, glissade, hurry, incline, scoot, skate, skid, skim, sled, sledge, slip, slither, slope, stream, veer slide from building: chute slide, controlled, on icy or snowy ...
by V&S EDITORIAL BOARD
Slither – (verb) move smoothly over a surface with a twisting or oscillating motion. slide or slip unsteadily on a loose or slippery surface. The snake slithered around in the enclosure. (noun) 1 a slithering movement.
by Kathy Charner
Slither, hop, crawl, and fly! Sing "The Ants Went Marching" and march around the room together. Related books Bees (First Discovery Book) by Gallimard Jeunesse and Raoul Sautai Peck Slither and Slide by Suse MacDonald The World of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Slither
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about slither
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb slither:
Photos about Slither
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: RDMullett
Photo credit: Seabamirum
Photo credit: crcymbals14
Photo credit: raider of gin
Photo credit: RuggyBearLA
Looking down a typical alley in Essouria.
Photo credit: simonsmith001
- Slither Crawl
Darkday locates a small side pipe that she must explore... But this time it leads to an amazing discovery... its another ovoid brick drain... awesome work sweetie....
Photo credit: darkday.
- A slither of day light
Photo credit: Broo_am (Andy B)
A gopher snake along Novato Creek.
Photo credit: Gunn Shots.
Photo credit: lizzie1326
White lipped viper (?) at Chester Zoo
Photo credit: Paul Albertella
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Slither
Click on an item to play that video:
- Slither Meaning
Video shows what slither means. To move about smoothly and from side to side.. To slide. Slither Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- 'slither' definition
- ESL Words - Basic Level - English Lesson 194 - slither, smolder, drift away
Learning English through pictures. SCRIPT The snake is slithering. The mountains are smoldering. The smoke is drifting away. A) The snake has coiled itself.
See also the pronunciation examples of Slither!
Quotes about Slither
Flat facted eyes
Through the torns
Now I see you
Next you 're gone
Where did you learn to do that
Just like someone I once knew (Teo Wen)
more quotes about slither...
Scrabble value of S1L1I1T1H4E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Slither to see it in context!