Slicker appears in the following tongue twister:
- If you stick a stock of liquor in your locker
it is slick to stick a lock upon your stock
or some joker who is slicker
is going to trick you of your liquor
if you fail to lock your liquor with a lock.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun slicker:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun slicker
What does slicker mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: slickers
- a macintosh made from cotton fabric treated with oil and pigment to make it waterproof
- a person with good manners and stylish clothing
- someone who leads you to believe something that is not true
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of slicker: beguiler / cheat / cheater / deceiver / trickster
- more generic words: offender / wrongdoer = a person who transgresses moral or civil law
- more specific terms:
- four-flusher / bluffer = a person who tries to bluff other people
- chiseller / defrauder / chiseler / swindler / grifter / scammer / gouger = a person who swindles you by means of deception or fraud
- steerer / decoy = a beguiler who leads someone into danger
- slyboots / dodger / fox = a shifty deceptive person
- double-crosser / double-dealer / two-timer / betrayer / traitor = a person who says one thing and does another
- defalcator / embezzler / peculator = someone who violates a trust by taking (money) for his own use
- falsifier = someone who falsifies
- finagler / wangler = a deceiver who uses crafty misleading methods
- counterfeiter / forger = someone who makes copies illegally
- fortune hunter = a person who seeks wealth through marriage
- nominal head / figurehead / front man / straw man / strawman / front = a person used as a cover for some questionable activity
- dissimulator / dissembler / hypocrite / pretender / phoney / phony = a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives
- impersonator / imitator = someone who (fraudulently) assumes the appearance of another
- role player / pretender / imposter / impostor / shammer / pseudo / faker / fraud / pseud / fake / sham = a person who makes deceitful pretenses
- prevaricator / liar = a person who has lied or who lies repeatedly
- misleader = someone who leads astray
- mountebank / charlatan = a flamboyant deceiver
- obscurantist = a person who is deliberately vague
- sandbagger = someone who deceives you about his true nature or intent in order to take advantage of you
- two-timer = someone who deceives a lover or spouse by carrying on a sexual relationship with somebody else
- utterer = someone who circulates forged banknotes or counterfeit coins
Alternative definition of the noun slicker
- A waterproof coat or jacket.
- A person who is perceived as clever, urbane and possibly disreputable. (abbreviation of city slicker.)
Who is Slicker?
Slicker a.k.a. John Hughes III is a musician and film score composer.
- read more about John Hughes (musical artist)
- Slicker is a fictional character from the 1952 film Kangaroo.
- Slicker is a fictional character from the 1961 film All in a Night's Work.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Slicker
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by George Smith Publishing
It is very uncomfortable to be out all day lobstering with wet or damp clothing, so the slicker is a neces- sary item of clothing. The verb “lobstering” refers to any task that involves capturing lobsters. A typical lobster boat has a crew of two: a ...
High Tide at Midnight (2013)
Herb Stephens by Herb Stephens
The crew believes Slicker is the older of the two. It could be a mother daughter situation, but none of them is a marine biologist, so they just have to surmise. Lightning is now dancing across the water. Rain has started, but still is not too hard.
WHEN A SPARROW FALLS (2015)
by Aubrey Morris; Roger Morris
” “Your slicker is a mite bloody. Maybe.
by Arnold Greenberg, Linda Tristan
An umbrella or light rain slicker is a good idea if you're travelling during the summer. W« P>iee Scdt $200+ $120+ Deluxe: . Expensive: Moderate: ...
50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology , Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior (2016)
Psychology, Psychology by CTI Reviews
City slicker: City slicker is an idiomatic expression for someone accustomed toa cityor urban lifestyle and unsuitedto life inthe country. The term was typically used asaterm of derision by rural Americans who regarded them with amusement.
Television and Contemporary Criticism by Robert C. Allen
The theme of the backwoodsman versus the city slicker is a common one in American folklore and in other ...
pommel slicker is a coat designed for riders to cover both saddle and rider when riding horseback. It has an extension gusset in the back which permits it being opened out so it will cover the entire saddle. It is also made in extra long and ...
The Encyclopedia of Founding and Dictionary of Foundry Terms Used in the Practice of Moulding (1894)
by Simpson Bolland
Slate 398 Slicker. Slag-wool.— See Mineral Cotton. Slate. — A highly metamorphosed clay rock, consisting ing essentially of clay. The particles are so mechanically arranged that it splits into plates that are independent of the layers of deposit, ...
Containing a Clear Exposition of Their Principles and Practice by Andrew Ure, Robert Hunt
After the blackening, it is necessary to rub a small quantity of oil or dubbing over the blackened surface, then turning the oiled grain toward the table, a sharp slicker is used on the flesh side ; the leather sticks to the table by means of the oil, ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chisholm
The -wooden part is grasped in both hands, and the blade is half rubbed and half scraped over the surface of the leather in successive strokes, the angle of the slicker being a continuation of the angle which the thrust out arms of the worker ...
by Martha Stewart Living Magazine
slicker. shower. curtain. Brighten a children's bathroom with a cheerful shower curtainthat consists oftwocolors of waterproof fabric sewnback to back.The curtain shown ismadeof canary- yellow matte vinyl and laminated denim. Because ...
A Description of Tools, Instruments, Machines, Processes, and Engineering; History of Inventions; General Technological Vocabulary; and Digest of Mechanical Appliances in Science and the Arts by Edward Henry Knight
The steel slicker or stretching- iron is rounded off at the corners and scraped upon the surface of the leather, ...
by Colin Larkin
Slicker Than Your Average (Wildstar/Atlantic 2002), The Story Goes... (Warners 2005).
2,000 Essential Terms for Sailors & Powerboaters by John Rousmaniere
foul-weather gear, slicker, oilers, oilies ...
darby (derby, derby float, derby slicker) A hand float or trowel, about 4′ long, used by concrete finishers and plasterers in preliminary floatingand leveling operations. The floatis usually made ofwood or aluminum and has either oneor ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Slicker
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Slicker
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Ktoine
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of S1L1I1C3K5E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SLICKER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Slicker!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Slicker to see it in context!