The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun sex:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb sex:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun sex
- Definition of the verb sex
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sex
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sex
- Photo about Sex
- Video language resources about Sex
- Sign language
- Quotes about Sex
- Scrabble value of S1E1X8
- Anagrams of SEX
- Share this page
Sex is sometimes a misspelling of six.
Definition of the noun sex
What does sex mean as a name of something?
Sex is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: sexes
- activities associated with sexual intercourse
- example: they had sex in the back seat
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of sex: sex activity / sexual activity / sexual practice
- more generic terms: activity / bodily function / bodily process / body process = an organic process that takes place in the body
- more specific terms:
- bondage = sexual practice that involves physically restraining (by cords or handcuffs) one of the partners
- outercourse = sexual stimulation without vaginal penetration
- safe sex = sexual activity (especially sexual intercourse) with the use of measures (such as latex condoms) to avoid the transmission of disease
- conception = the act of becoming pregnant
- sexual intercourse / carnal knowledge / sexual congress / sexual relation / intercourse / copulation / relation / coition / sex act / coitus = sexual activity between individuals, especially the insertion of a man's penis into a woman's vagina until orgasm and ejaculation occur
- pleasure = sexual gratification
- making love / sexual love / lovemaking / love life / love = sexual activities (often including sexual intercourse) between two people
- carnal abuse = any lascivious contact by an adult with the sexual organs of a child
- sexual union / conjugation / coupling / pairing / mating / union = the act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes
- facts of life / reproduction / procreation / breeding = the sexual activity of conceiving and bearing offspring
- stimulation / foreplay / arousal = mutual sexual fondling prior to sexual intercourse
- sexual perversion / perversion = an aberrant sexual practice
- autoeroticism / autoerotism = using you own body as a sexual object
- promiscuousness / sleeping around / promiscuity = indulging in promiscuous (casual and indiscriminate) sexual relations
- lechery = unrestrained indulgence in sexual activity
- homoeroticism / homosexualism / homosexuality / queerness / gayness = a sexual attraction to (or sexual relations with) persons of the same sex
- bisexuality = sexual activity with both men and women
- heterosexualism / heterosexuality / straightness = a sexual attraction to (or sexual relations with) persons of the opposite sex
- bestiality / zooerastia / zooerasty / sodomy = sexual activity between a person and an animal
- either of the two categories (male or female) into which most organisms are divided
- all of the feelings resulting from the urge to gratify sexual impulses
- the properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles
- example: she didn't want to know the sex of the foetus
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of sex: gender / sexuality
- more generic term: physiological property = a property having to do with the functioning of the body
- more specific words:
- male = being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces gametes (spermatozoa) that perform the fertilizing function in generation
- female = being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces fertilizable gametes (ova) from which offspring develop
- androgynous = having both male and female characteristics
- sexual = having or involving sex
- nonsexual / asexual = not having or involving sex
Alternative definition of the noun sex
- [countable] Either of two main divisions (either female or male) into which many organisms can be placed, according to reproductive function or organs.
- synonym: gender
- [uncountable] The distinguishing property, quality, or assemblage of properties by which organisms are classified as female or male on the basis of their reproductive organs and functions; the set of properties by which male is distinguished from female.
- [uncountable] Sexual intercourse; the act of sexual intercourse.
- [euphemistic] Genitalia; a penis or vagina.
- [obsolete, with the definite article] Women; womankind.
Definition of the verb sex
What does sex mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: sexed | sexing | sexes
- stimulate sexually
- tell the sex (of young chickens)
- "Sex" is a five-track EP released by The 1975 on 19 November 2012 by Vagrant Records. It is the second of four EPs which were released before their first full-length album, The 1975. The lead track Sex was produced, recorded and arranged by brothers Michael and Robert Coles of Little Comets. A music video for the single "Sex" was released onto YouTube on 5 October 2012.
- "Sex" is a musical album of Luk.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Sex" is a song by The 1975.
- "Sex" is a studio EP, released on March 20, 2007, by Tila Tequila through the Washington-based label The Saturday Team. On July 27, 2007, Italian website MusicBlob revealed that The Saturday Team and distributor Icon Music Entertainment Services sued Tila over breaching her contract related to the album. On September 22, 2008 the EP was released onto the United States iTunes Store under the explicit tag.
- "Sex" is a song by American rock band Mötley Crüe. It was originally released as the first single from their intended tenth studio album, but was dropped when bassist Nikki Sixx announced that there will not be another studio album before the end of their last tour.
- "Sex" is the debut album by Australian improvised music trio, The Necks, originally released on the Spiral Scratch label and later rereleased on Fish of Milk and Private Music in the US. The album features a single track of just under an hour in length performed by Chris Abrahams, Lloyd Swanton and Tony Buck improvising over a two-bar motif. On this album the band overdubbed the instrumentation of piano, bass and drums in a dual take creating a "hypnotic repetitive piece".
- genre: Musical improvisation
- released in (26 years ago)
- "Sex" is the second single from German industrial metal group Oomph! from their album, Sperm.
- "Sex" is a musical album of Vintage.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "SEX" is an album by popular Greek artist Elli Kokkinou that was released on November 11, 2005 by Heaven Music. Following its platinum status, it was re-released with four new songs and a bonus DVD renamed Ki Allo Platinum Edition. Campari and RedPassion were the main sponsors of the album.
- "Sex" is a musical album of Telex.
- released in (34 years ago)
- "Sex" is a coffee table book written by Madonna with photographs by Steven Meisel Studio and film frames taken from film shot by Fabien Baron. The book was edited by Glenn O'Brien. Sex was released on October 21, 1992 by Warner Books. The book was released by Madonna as an accompaniment to her fifth studio album Erotica, which was released a day earlier.
- also known as "Sex Madonna - Standee", 섹스
- language: English Language
- genre: Fantasy
- subjects: Music, Literature
- released on (22 years ago)
- "Sex" is a book by Irving Singer.
- also known as "Sex: a philosophical primer"
- genre: Philosophy
- subjects: Philosophy, Modern philosophy, Sex, History, Human sexuality, Aesthetics
- "Sex" is a 1920 American silent drama film directed by Fred Niblo, written by C. Gardner Sullivan, produced by J. Parker Read, and starring Louise Glaum. On its surface, the film was a morality story on the evils of marital infidelity. However, the film's producer, J. Parker Read, had made a series of pictures on sex themes. The release of Sex, with its provocative title and explicit scenes of seduction and debauchery, made it the subject of controversy among censors and commentators.
- "Sex" is a 1992 documentary film directed by Fabien Baron.
- executive producer: Madonna
- released on (22 years ago)
- "Sex" is a 2013 documentary film directed by Kaltrina Krasniqi.
- Sex: Organisms of many species are specialized into male and female varieties, each known as a sex. Sexual reproduction involves the combining and mixing of genetic traits: specialized cells known as gametes combine to form offspring that inherit traits from each parent. Gametes can be identical in form and function, but in many cases an asymmetry has evolved such that two sex-specific types of gametes exist. By definition, male gametes are small, motile, and optimized to transport their genetic information over a distance, while female gametes are large, non-motile and contain the nutrients necessary for the early development of the young organism. Among humans and other mammals, males typically carry XY chromosomes, whereas females typically carry XX chromosomes, which are a part of the XY sex-determination system.
- also known as Sexual Transmission, Sexual Reproduction
- Sex was a boutique run by Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood at 430 King's Road, London between 1974 and 1976. It specialized in clothing that defined the look of the punk movement.
- also known as Let It Rock
- Sex, also known as Sex with Sophie Lee, is an Australian television series that ran from 1992 to 1993 on the Nine Network. It was hosted by Sophie Lee in its first season and Pamela Stephenson in its second. As the title of the show suggests, the program was about sex and its related aspects.
- also known as Sex with Sophie Lee
- begun in (23 years ago)
- SEX: In computing, the SEX assembly language mnemonic has often been used for the "Sign EXtend" machine instruction found in the Motorola 6809. A computer's or CPU's "sex" can also mean the endianness of the computer architecture used. x86 computers do not have the same "byte sex", as HC11 computers, for example. Functions are sometimes needed for computers of different endianness to communicate with each other over the internet, as protocols often use big endian byte coding by default.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sex
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Men in Relationships (2006)
A New Look from a Life Course Perspective by Victoria Hilkevitch Bedford, PhD, Barbara Formaniak Turner, PhD
For women, sex means emotional closeness that can be communicated through talk, but for men sex means sex.
After Pluralism (2012)
Reimagining Religious Engagement by Courtney Bender, Pamela E. Klassen
Because sex is the site of the literal production of bodies and also a potent site for figuring self-discipline and control of one's individual body, it facilitates both normative...
As a result, sex is a site for determining what's normal in modernity.
Exploring the Purpose, Significance, Hazards, Perversion, & Legitimate Boundaries of Activating Sex by ESPHAN NG’ANG’A
SEX IS A LEGITIMATE ASPECT OF LIFE LEGITIMATE ASPECT...
The Odes to TL61P (2013)
by Keston Sutherland
Fuck the waxes, shaves, implants, jerking, convulsions and sperm, real shaves, implants, jerking, convulsions and sperm, real shaves, implants, jerking, convulsions and sperm, real sex is the insatiable silence underneath. Nothing but the sex ...
Clinical Care for Children and Young Adults by Dilip R. Patel, Donald E Greydanus, Hatim A. Omar, Joav Merrick
Sex is a basic human need that arises in the subcortex and is controlled by the cerebral cortex in Homo sapiens .
Men and Women in the World's Cultures Topics and Cultures A-K - Volume 1; Cultures L-Z - by Carol R. Ember, Melvin Ember
Sexuality and Male-Female Interaction. Sex and Gender in the World's Cultures. Culture Name Index. Subject Index.
Encyclopaedia of AIDS (2003)
by G.C. Satpathy
Sex. Workers. in. Bangladesh. BACKGROUND Tangail Brothel Bangladesh has had brothels for centuries that have steadily become part of the local culture. Some are residential, comparatively uncrowded, with small rooms ...
Sex Similarities and Differences and the Impact of Society on Gender by Judith Worell
Sex Similarities and Differences and the Impact of Society on Gender Judith Worell. This accounts for the less pronounced gender differences in assertiveness among African Americans, where there is greater gender equality in power.
by Henry Kellerman
sex—the oedipal triangle. See Neuropsychoanalysis of oedipal behavior. OEDIPUS COMPLEX Introduced by Freud as a core, universal aspect of development and the key basis for the genesis of neurosis. It involves the triangular relationship ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sex
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Sex
Photo credit: Marcus Q
Video language resources about Sex
Click on an item to play that video:
- What the definition of "sex" is.
Bill Clinton starts a national conversation.
- How to Say "Marathon Sex Sessions" | Australian Slang
This year why not deep fry your bird. Learn how to make the ultimate...
- A New Definition of a Real Creation(sex reversal of tilapia)
- Spoken American English Slang, Lot's of Sex!
- The Difference Between Man & Men - Vocabulary about Men Gender and Sex in English Lesson Video
The Difference Between Man & Men - Vocabulary about Men Gender and Sex in English Lesson Video Skype: agharta78 The Definitive Collection: English ...
- Art+Issues: Tagging for Truth, Race, Sex and Meaning
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = distribution by sex
- PhonetPhonics : Vocabulary of the Day : sex , trafficking
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Systemic hormonal preparations, excl sex hormones
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Medicinal products for the genitourinary system and sex hormones
- Deciphering the Language of Sex
In this Howard Hughes Medical Institute program, Dr. David Page, professor of biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, addresses the age-old ...
- Steven Pinker on sex and taboo language
A fragment from an interview with Steven Pinker about his book 'The seven words you can't say on television', which explores sex and taboo language..
- Health Buzz: Coffee, Sex Increase Aneurysm Risk (reading for ESL students)
- Language.Sex.Violence - Danas sam ti rekao zbogom (Live, Pirot)
pesma sa kompilacije "Black Generation" free download: ...
- "Sex, Leadership and Rock'n'Roll" description
- 6-25-13 KMC Teaching Moment: Sex and Language Segment 2
- Language.Sex.Violence- Bistriji ili tuplji coveg biva kad (Bolivijski patuljani cover)
Cover verzija pesme benda Isecite Bolivijskim Patuljanima Usi !
- Teaching sex in Language Arts, Juvenile delinquents, & No new drilling (Feel the Bern!)
Now they're teaching sex ed in language arts to 8th graders. There's no opt out for that. Scenarios involving booze, one night stands, blackouts, and herpes.
View more videos about Sex Chromosome.
See also the pronunciation examples of Sex!
ASL 402- Sex, Drugs and Explicit Language.MOD
Quotes about Sex
I think of you
I think of you
I think of you
I think of you
Sex is just a
I think of you always (Aparna Chatterjee)
more quotes about sex...
Scrabble value of S1E1X8
The value of this 3-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SEX
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Sex!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sex to see it in context!