Sadness appears in the following tongue twister:
- Oh, the sadness of her sadness when she's sad.
Oh, the gladness of her gladness when she's glad.
But the sadness of her sadness,
and the gladness of her gladness,
are nothing like her madness when she's mad!
Sadness appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Marge, let's send a sadness-telegram.
- Dahlia petals aren’t raped in sadness: send a snide partner a slate pail had.
- Enola and Marge let an idea Nita proposed in sadness send a snide sop, or, patinaed in a telegram, DNA alone.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun sadness:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun sadness and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun sadness
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sadness
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sadness
- Photos about Sadness
- Video language resources about Sadness
- Quotes about Sadness
- Scrabble value of S1A1D2N1E1S1S1
- Share this page
The word sadness is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sadness
What does sadness mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sadnesses
- emotions experienced when not in a state of well-being
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonym of sadness: unhappiness
- antonym of sadness: happiness
- more generic word: feeling = the experiencing of affective and emotional states
- more specific words:
- dolefulness = sadness caused by grief or affliction
- heaviness = persisting sadness
- melancholy = a feeling of thoughtful sadness
- misery = a feeling of intense unhappiness
- forlornness / desolation / loneliness = sadness resulting from being forsaken or abandoned
- tearfulness / weepiness = sadness expressed by weeping
- sorrow = an emotion of great sadness associated with loss or bereavement
- ruefulness / regret / sorrow / rue = sadness associated with some wrong done or some disappointment
- uncheerfulness / cheerlessness = a feeling of dreary or pessimistic sadness
- depression = sad feelings of gloom and inadequacy
- low-spiritedness / downheartedness / dispiritedness / dejectedness / lowness = a feeling of low spirits
- the state of being sad
- example: she tired of his perpetual sadness
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of sadness: sorrow / sorrowfulness
- more generic word: unhappiness = state characterized by emotions ranging from mild discontentment to deep grief
- more specific words:
- the quality of excessive mournfulness and uncheerfulness
Alternative definition of the noun sadness
- [uncountable] The state or emotion of being sad.
- [countable] An event in one's life that causes sadness.
"Sadness" was a survival horror video game in development by Nibris for the Wii console and was one of the earliest titles announced for the system. While the game initially drew positive attention for its unique gameplay concepts, such as black-and-white graphics and emphasis on psychological horror over violence, Sadness became notorious when no evidence of a playable build was ever publicly released during the four years it spent in development. It was revealed that Sadness had entered development hell due to problems with deadlines and relationships with external developers, leading to its eventual cancellation by 2010, along with the permanent closure of the company.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: Nibris
- genres: Survival horror, Psychological horror, Adventure game
- released in (7 years ago)
"Sadness" is a 1999 documentary film directed by Tony Ayres.
- country: Australia
- language: English Language
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (17 years ago)
- AACTA Award for Best Direction in a Documentary nomination for Tony Ayres
- Australian Film Institute Award for Best Achievement in Sound in a Non-Feature Film nomination for Livia Ruzic, Pat Fiske, Peter Walker
- Australian Film Institute Award for Best Documentary nomination for Megan McMurchy & Michael McMahon
- Australian Film Institute Open Craft Award in Non-Feature Film (For the production design.) nomination for Luigi Pittorino
- Australian Film Institute Award for Best Achievement in Sound in a Non-Feature Film, received by Livia Ruzic, Peter Walker, Pat Fiske
- "Sadness" is a musical album of Absurd.
- "Sadness" is a musical album of Arkadiusz Reikowski.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Sadness" is a musical single of Led Apple.
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Sadness" is a musical single of Chris M.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Sadness" is a musical single of DJ Yves.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Sadness" is a musical single of Porno for Pyros.
- released on (21 years ago)
Sadness is a musical group.
- albums: "Danteferno", "Ames de Marbre", "Evangelion"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sadness
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Human Emotions (2007)
A Sociological Theory by Jonathan H. Turner
Sadness is the last of the primary emotions listed in Table 1.2. And, in many ways , it is the most complicated because...
Emotion Rituals (2007)
A Resource for Therapists and Clients by David W. McMillan
Sadness Defined Sadness is a response to loss and separation from what we desire and need. Our body has certain constant states that...
Trauma Practice (2014)
Tools for Stabilization and Recovery by Anna Baranowsky, J. Eric Gentry
And the problem with stuffing our sadness is that it does not go away. It piles up. ... The truth about sadness is that although it feels as if we will die or be overwhelmed by it, we actually will not...
Because sadness is a normal, natural emotion.
A Look at Moral Evil and the Thoughts by George Tsakiridis
In this way, sadness is a type of “depression” brought on by wishing things were different than ...
Spinoza, the Bible, and Modernity by Brayton Polka
Consequently,happiness is the transition of man from lesser to greater perfection, while sadness is the transition of...
Our Happy Time (2014)
by Gong Ji-young
Sadness is a wealth that you cannot give away. That is because you can give everything else to other people, but you cannot give yourself to others. Everyone is tragic. Tragedy is a scar that you alone carry forever. River of tears, river of ...
by Allan Kellehear
Since sadness is a word so frequently identified with professional-problem terms such as depression or grief, and because the wider discussion of sorrow is also commonly subsumed or co-opted into broader and murkier debates and theories ...
How We Learn to Love by Mike Mason
Sadness is the appropriate response to looking our poor, miserable selves square in the eye, denying nothing yet refusing to condemn.
The Psychology of Emotions (1991)
by Carroll E. Izard
Sadness is a single emotion that has its own particular expression as well as its unique subjective experience. Depression involves a complex combination of emotions, images, memories, and thoughts. It also involves bodily states. Sadness ...
Encyclopedia of Emotion (2010)
by Gretchen M. Reevy
Sadness is an emotional reaction to a perceived loss, lasting anywhere from a few seconds to several hours. The sad individual may have suffered the death of a loved one, lost a relationship, a job, or a home, or received a low score ...
by Henry Buck
THIS valuable remedy was considered, by Hahnemann, to be especially adapted for the affections of persons who possess a mild, placid, benevolent disposition, inclined to sadness, easily moved to compassion ; or the gay and lively, ...
Your Spiritual Dictionary (2015)
To Make Your Life Journey Easier by Erishka Fridman-Catt
sadness. When you feel upset you generally don't want to hear people saying 'it's ok; everything will work out for the best; it is for your highest good in the long term' etc. Deep inside you know it all but at this very moment you want this situation ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sadness
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sadness
Click on an item to view that photo:
Funko Pop Vinyl Figure
Photo credit: tomcrouse
Photo credit: Steven Leith
Photo credit: mrhandley
Photo credit: g[wiz]
At Dachau concentration camp graveyard.
Photo credit: Leonidas-from-XIV
Photo credit: Arbron
Photo credit: isaaclyutman
Photo credit: Ikusuki
Photo credit: lenifuzhead
Photo credit: Dan Queiroz
Photo credit: Poldavo (Alex)
She was so forlorn all alone.
Photo credit: Lucid Nightmare
Photo credit: Ann_Sarkisyan
Photo credit: akk_rus
Photo credit: Beneharo Mesa
Photo credit: Eric Soto (Sotografy)
- Exploring Sadness
Shot at a garden in Qingdao, China
Photo credit: Momentchensammler
View more pictures about Summertime Sadness.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Sadness
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sadness Meaning
Video shows what sadness means. The state or emotion of being sad.. An event in one's life that causes sadness.. sadness synonyms: forlornness, melancholy, ...
- New biological explanation for sadness in early postpartum
Dr. Jeffrey Meyer, Canada Research Chair in Neurochemistry of Depression, CAMH and U of T, talks about how greater levels of a brain protein called ...
- Sadness Slang - Jagoenglish.com
- Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness - at New Slang Kingston
- Meaning of Sadness
- The meaning of sadness
- How to Read Micro Expression of Sadness | Body Language
Watch more How to Read Body Language videos...
- BODY LANGUAGE of Sadness and the micro expressions - Scott Sylvan Bell
Body Language of Sadness and the micro expressions can be learned so that you can understand and interpret the non verbal communication of men or women ...
- The Universal language of Sadness - Muscular Rose
music video for the song The Universal Language of Sadness, by Muscular Rose, from their debut album "Born to be Free". Australia's Peter Grigoriadis (aka ...
- Light language for self-consciousness and sadness
View more videos about The Sadness.
See also the pronunciation examples of Sadness!
Quotes about Sadness
LIFE ENDS IN SADNESS
Life ends in sadness
It does not know any other way
Even if it is the best death
Even if it is with a ‘kiss’
It ends in sadness.
Life ends in sadness
There is no other way. (Shalom Freedman)
more quotes about sadness...
Scrabble value of S1A1D2N1E1S1S1
The value of this 7-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sadness to see it in context!