Room appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Moor let Omani in a motel room.
- Moors dine, nip -- in Enid's room.
- Moo rarely, TV ilk: OK Liv Tyler a room.
Usage statistics for the noun room:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun room
- Definition of the adjective room
- Definition of the adverb room
- Definition of the verb room
- Phrases with Room
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Room
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Room
- Usage statistics about room
- Photos about Room
- Video language resources about Room
- Sign language
- Quotes about Room
- Scrabble value of R1O1O1M3
- Anagrams of ROOM
- Share this page
The word room is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun room
What does room mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: rooms
- an area within a building enclosed by walls and floor and ceiling
- example: the rooms were very small but they had a nice view
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: area = a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function
- more specific terms:
- anechoic chamber = a chamber having very little reverberation
- entrance hall / antechamber / vestibule / anteroom / foyer / lobby / hall = a large entrance or reception room or area
- back room = a room located in the rear of an establishment
- dance palace / dance hall / ballroom = large room used mainly for dancing
- barroom / ginmill / taproom / saloon / bar = a room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter
- bathroom = a room (as in a residence) containing a bathtub or shower and usually a washbasin and toilet
- sleeping accommodation / sleeping room / bedchamber / bedroom / chamber = a room used primarily for sleeping
- belfry = a room (often at the top of a tower) where bells are hung
- billiard parlour / billiard parlor / billiard saloon / billiard hall / billiard room = a room in which billiards is played
- council chamber / boardroom = a room where a committee meets
- cardroom = a room for gambling on card games
- prison cell / jail cell / cell = a room where a prisoner is kept
- cubicle / cell = small room in which a monk or nun lives
- chamber = a room where a judge transacts business
- left-luggage office / checkroom = a room where baggage or parcels are checked
- schoolroom / classroom = a room in a school where lessons take place
- clean room / white room = a room that is virtually free of dust or bacteria
- cloakroom / coatroom = a room where coats and other articles can be left temporarily
- closet = a small private room for study or prayer
- clubroom = a room used for the activities of a club
- compartment = a partitioned section, chamber, or separate room within a larger enclosed area
- conference room = a room in which a conference can be held
- control room = a room housing control equipment
- courtroom / court = a room in which a lawcourt sits
- cubbyhole / snuggery / cubby / snug = a small secluded room
- cutting room = a room where films or tapes are edited
- darkroom = a room in which photographs are developed
- den = a room that is comfortable and secluded
- dinette = a small area off of a kitchen that is used for dining
- dining room / dining-room = a room used for dining
- door = a room that is entered via a door
- dressing room = a room in which you can change clothes
- durbar = the room in the palace of a native prince of India in which audiences and receptions occur
- engine room / engineering = a room (as on a ship) in which the engine is located
- trading floor / floor = a large room in a exchange where the trading is done
- furnace room = a room (usually in the basement of a building) that contains a furnace for heating the building
- gallery = a long usually narrow room used for some specific purpose
- picture gallery / art gallery / gallery = a room or series of rooms where works of art are exhibited
- greenroom = a backstage room in a theater where performers rest or have visitors
- guardroom = a room used by soldiers on guard
- hall = a large room for gatherings or entertainment
- hospital room = a room in a hospital for the care of patients
- kitchen = a room equipped for preparing meals
- library = a room where books are kept
- sitting room / living room / living-room / front room / parlour / parlor = a room in a private house or establishment where people can sit and talk and relax
- locker room = a room (as at an athletic facility or workplace) where you can change clothes and which contains lockers for the temporary storage of your clothing and personal possessions
- waiting area / waiting room / lounge = a room (as in a hotel or airport) with seating where people can wait
- manor hall / hall = the large room of a manor or castle
- poolroom = a room with pool tables where pool is played
- presence chamber = room in which a monarch or other great person receives guests, assemblies, etc.
- rathole = a small dirty uncomfortable room
- reading room = a room set aside for reading
- reception room = a room for receiving and entertaining visitors
- recreation room / rec room = a room equipped for informal entertaining
- rotunda = a large circular room
- scriptorium = a room in a monastery that is set aside for writing or copying manuscripts
- scullery = a small room (in large old British houses) next to the kitchen
- sewing room = a room set aside for sewing
- shipping room = a room where goods are packaged and shipped
- shower room = a room with several showers
- sick berth / sickbay = a room for the treatment of the sick or injured
- sickroom = a room to which a sick person is confined
- smoking room = room in a hotel or club set apart for smokers
- squad room = a room in a barracks where soldiers are billeted
- squad room = a room in a police station where members of the force assemble for roll call and duty assignments
- vapour bath / steam bath / steam room / vapor bath = a room that can be filled with steam in which people bathe
- storage room / storeroom / stowage = a room in which things are stored
- study = a room used for reading and writing and studying
- sun parlour / sun lounge / sun parlor / sun porch / solarium / sunporch / sunroom = a room enclosed largely with glass and affording exposure to the sun
- surgery = a room where a doctor or dentist can be consulted
- television room / tv room = a room set aside for viewing television
- testing room / test room = a room in which tests are conducted
- bathroom / lavatory / toilet / privy / john / can / lav = a room or building equipped with one or more toilets
- torture chamber = a room in which torture is inflicted
- sacristy / vestry = a room in a church where sacred vessels and vestments are kept or meetings are held
- walk-in = a small room large enough to admit entrance
- war room = a room where strategic decisions are made
- workroom = room where work is done
- part of: building / edifice = a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place
- space for movement
- examples: room to pass | hardly enough elbow room to turn around
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of room: elbow room / way
- more generic terms: position / spatial relation = the spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated
- more specific terms:
- seating area / seating room / seating / seats = an area that includes places where several people can sit
- standing room = room for passengers or spectators to stand
- breathing space / breathing room = sufficient room for easy breathing or movement
- clearance / headroom / headway = vertical space available to allow easy passage under something
- houseroom = space for accommodation in a house
- living space / lebensraum = space sought for occupation by a nation whose population is expanding
- parking = space in which vehicles can be parked
- sea room = space for maneuver at sea
- opportunity for
- the people who are present in a room
Alternative definition of the noun room
- [uncountable] Space for something, or to carry out an activity. [definition from 10th c.] [jump, space, s, t]
- [uncountable, figuratively] Opportunity or possibility to do something. [definition from 15th c.]
- [context: now rare] Reason, cause or opportunity (to do something). [definition from 9th c.]
- synonym: [jump, s, part of a cave] chamber
- [archaic] A specific area of space. [definition from 11th c.]
- [nautical] A space between the timbers of a ship's frame. [definition from 15th c.]
- [countable] A separate part of a building, enclosed by walls, a floor and a ceiling. [definition from 15th c.] [jump, part of a building, s, t]
- [countable] With possessive pronoun: one's bedroom.
- [in the plural] A set of rooms inhabited by someone; one's lodgings. [definition from 17th c.]
- [context: always singular] The people in a room. [definition from 17th c.]
- [mining] An area for working in a coal mine; also, in spelunking, a portion of a cave that is wider than a passage. [definition from 17th c.] [jump, part of a cave, s]
- [internet, countable] A forum or chat room. [definition from 20th c.]
Definition of the adjective room
What does room mean as an attribute of a noun?
- [dialectal or obsolete] Wide; spacious; roomy.
Definition of the adverb room
What does room mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- [dialectal or obsolete] Far; at a distance; wide in space or extent.
- [nautical] Off from the wind.
Definition of the verb room
What does room mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: roomed | rooming | rooms
- live and take one's meals at or in
Alternative definition of the verb room
- To reside, especially as a boarder or tenant.
"Room" is a 2005 experimental drama film written and directed by Kyle Henry.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Jesse Scolaro, Allen Bain, Darren Goldberg
- executive producers: Randy B. Fields, John Leisenring, Jim McKay & Michael Stipe
- production design by Andrea Goodson
- art direction by Michael Powsner
- written by Kyle Henry
- Cyndi Williams as Julia Barker
- Tonye Patano as Homeless Woman
- Carlos Trevino as Psychic
- Jessica Hedrick as Meditation Leader
- Kenneth Wayne Bradley as Bobby Barker
- Funda Duval as Russian girl
- Hannah Nicolas as Nikki Barker
- Jessica O'Donahue as Woman in White #1
- Alexandra Kiester as Jules Barker
- Jacqui Cross as Laveta
- Gretchen Krich as Alex / Suzy
- Marco Parella as Frank
- Suzanne Savoy as Athina
- J. Shanon Weaver as Big Tex
- George Manly as Bingo Announcer
- cinematography by PJ Raval
- edited by Pete Beaudreau
- music by Fritz Robenalt, Kevin Wade
- genres: Indie film, Experimental film, Thriller, Drama
- released in (10 years ago)
Phrases with Room
- Room in
- tv room
- Art Room
- Bar Room
- Box Room
- Day Room
- gun room
- Map Room
- Mud Room
- rec room
- sea room
- Sun Room
- Tea Room
- war room
- Wet Room
- back room
- Blue Room
- chat room
View more phrases with the word Room in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Room
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Rome, Ancient and Modern (1844)
And Its Environs by Jeremiah Donovan
The second room is the hall of the Capitoliue Guard: its frieze and those of the other rooms are painted by Paul Brill , Albert Durer...
The fifth room is that of the Guardia Nobile, the walls of which are lined with damask ; and over the altar of the ...
by John A. Black, Fenwick W. English
The faculty room is the jumping off place for the classroom. Here teachers wind up, hunker down, calm down, scramble for lessons and time stuffers, grade papers, and bitch. The faculty room is the great resource center of life. The closest thing ...
Forest and Stream (1901)
Leading from the dining room is a large pantry 5ft. wide and 13ft. long.
opening from the mess room is a stateroom for the steward and cook and another for the captain and engineer, also a toilet room...
Ethics, Evil, and Fiction (1997)
by Colin McGinn
The room is the human soul, marked by the presence of a human figure, and characterized in aesthetic terms—the...
The room is an enclosed space, not bright, softly defined, in which the contents are harmoniously arranged; just as the soul...
A Comedy in Two Acts by William Ferdinand Brown
Dewey's living room is a sunken one, with two steps leading down from a hall area near the front door, Upstage Center, that leads into the apartment building hallway. Downstage Center is a sofa, with a coffee table in front of it. Left of this is an ...
An Orientation and Care Guide in a Nutshell by Theresa Criscitelli, EdD, RN, CNOR, Theresa Criscitelli
The operating room is a fast-paced, technological environment wherein the perioperative registered nurse must be able to think quickly and accurately, as well as advocate for the patient while the patient is under anesthesia. Working in the ...
Meat Market (2014)
Inside the Smash-Mouth World of College Football Recruiting by Bruce Feldman
The Rebels' war room is a hexagon with two doors on opposing sides. Dominating the room is a round, glossy, cherrywood table whose top is as thick as the New York City yellow pages. Around the table are 15 highback, black leather swivel ...
THE McNAB PNEUMATIC CHART ROOM COUNTER Type “G”, 4%" Dial UNDREDS of these Chart Room Counters illustrated in Fig. 347, have been installed on the vessels of the ...
A Dictionary of Epidemiology (2014)
by Miquel Porta
The specifications include a private room and the use of masks, gowns, and gloves for all persons entering the room. Special ventilation requirements with the room at negative pressure to surrounding areas are desirable. b. Contact isolation: ...
by Stewart Clegg, James R. Bailey
Four major studies were conducted (experiments in illumination, the relay assembly test room, the interview program, and the bank wiring observation room ) with two ancillary studies associated with the relay assembly test room (second relay ...
The Visual Dictionary of Communications & Office Automation - Communications & Office Automation (2009)
audio control room Room with the control and monitoring equipment required for ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Room
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about room
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun room:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun room:
Photos about Room
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Murat Livaneli
Photo credit: peretzpup
Photo credit: Burning Plumes
just bored and very very busy.
bored and buys? wah lau....
Photo credit: jonolist
Photo credit: Marcy Reiford
Photo credit: jbudlo2
Photo credit: m_takahashi
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: Nathan Wong.
Photo credit: jwyg
Photo credit: emdot
- Kids' room
Photo credit: lorenkerns
- Laundry Room
Valspar (Lowe's) "Key to the CIty" Semi Gloss. 54", 3 shelf laundry cabinet from Lowe's. Wire Rack. Green grass from Ikea. Room total: $175
Photo credit: mattgosselin
- Strange room
Photo credit: MaZzuk
- Attic Room
InNorth west England, U.K.
Photo credit: David Barrie
- Dirty room
Photo credit: I.Gouss
- In room
Photo credit: matsuyuki
- Living room
New wide angle lens. Super fun.
Photo credit: andrewmalone
- Living Room
Photo credit: Danilo Nunez Jr.
- The white room
Photo credit: Ramona.Forcella
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Room
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learn English - English Room Vocabulary
- De Ploeg room planner explanation
- Sewing room Meaning
Video shows what sewing room means. A room in a home set aside for sewing.. Sewing room Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- Language Room Playing God
- Student Shop Room Description
This video show you the different rooms the Student Shop has available for you to use.
- One Missing Heartbeat - Language Room (Free download!)
- Language Room | Skin & Heart & Lungs
- Zoom Room Guide to Dog Body Language
A brief visual guide, created by the Zoom Room, to better understand the body language of dogs. Facial expressions and posture are examined both with ...
- Language Room - Playing God ( Lekarze )
- Owl City - The Saltwater Room [HD Lyrics + Description]
Best Quality: 720p Owl City - The Saltwater Room (Ocean Eyes version)...
- ROOM description
- The Love Language - This Room (Live on KEXP)
- The Love Language - This Room
- Natural Room Verb/5F6-A/Solo Tuned 12
Some renovation going on in this 1905 house, so some fun with natural high celing/hardwood floor reverb is possible. This is an old Hering Master Solo 12 hole ...
- Room description
- Sample Room Description - Unit 13
Explanation of a livingroom.
- Acla common class room language
free material for all four level students.
- Room Description
via YouTube Capture.
View more videos about Room 10, Mud Room, The Room, Chat room, Crush Room, Girls Room, Green room, Steam room, Common Room, Dining room, Living room, Control Room, Meeting Room, Reptile Room, The Back Room, and Embalming Room.
See also the pronunciation examples of Room!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Room 22 Sign Language
- Art Room Sign Language
- BABY Sign Language. How to sign Clean Your Room
free coloring sheets @...
- ROOM 4 SIGN LANGUAGE LESSON 14TH MAY
Ann form Deaf Aotearoa came into Room 4 and taught us some basic sign language as part of NZ Sign Language Week. All students were super quick and ...
- Music Room Sign Language
Quotes about Room
Scrabble value of R1O1O1M3
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ROOM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Room!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Room to see it in context!