On this page:
- Definition of the verb revolve
- Phrases with Revolve
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Revolve
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Revolve
- Usage statistics about revolve
- Photos about Revolve
- Video language resources about Revolve
- Quotes about Revolve
- Scrabble value of R1E1V4O1L1V4E1
- Anagrams of REVOLVE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb revolve
What does revolve mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: revolved | revolving | revolves
- turn on or around an axis or a center
- example: The Earth revolves around the Sun
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] There fluttered a flag (over the fort) Verbs of Existence: bob, bow, creep, dance, drift, eddy, falter, flap, float, flutter, hover, jiggle, joggle, oscillate, pulsate, quake, quiver, rock, roil, rotate, shake, stir, sway, swirl, teeter, throb, totter, tremble, undulate, vacillate, vibrate, waft, wave, waver, wiggle, wobble, writhe [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] The patriots waved the flag [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] A flag fluttered [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] A flag fluttered over the fort | Bees are swarming in the garden [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] In the aquarium swam a striped fish | Over the fort fluttered a flag [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] Bill rolled the ball Verbs of Motion: bounce, coil, drift, drop, float, glide, move, roll, rotate, slide, snake, soar, spin, spiral, swing, turn, twirl, twist, undulate, whirl, wind [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] [Path Preposition] [Location] Bill rolled the ball down the hill [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] Claire skated | The ball rolled | They waltzed [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Adjective] The drawer rolled open [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] The drawer rolled to an open position [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] The ball rolled down the hill
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of revolve: go around / rotate
- more generic word: turn = move around an axis or a center
- more specific terms:
- drive in / screw = cause to penetrate, as with a circular motion
- screw = turn like a screw
- wheel around / wheel = change directions as if revolving on a pivot
- spin around / gyrate / whirl / reel / spin = revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis
- twiddle / swirl / twirl / whirl = turn in a twisting or spinning motion
- move in an orbit
- cause to move by turning over or in a circular manner of as if on an axis
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of revolve: roll
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
- more specific word: transit = revolve (the telescope of a surveying transit) about its horizontal transverse axis in order to reverse its direction
Alternative definition of the verb revolve
- [intransitive] To orbit a central point.
- To turn on an axis.
- [intransitive] To recur in cycles.
- [transitive] To ponder on, to reflect repeatedly upon, to consider all aspects of.
Revolve is a musical group.
- album: "Revolve"
- "Revolve", Danger Danger's seventh studio album, marks the return of lead vocalist Ted Poley. It is also the first Danger Danger studio album to feature Rob Marcello on guitar.
- "Revolve" is the 1994 EP album by Melvins.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Revolve" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Ronny Moorings
- "Revolve" is a musical album of La Cherga.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Revolve" is a musical album of Axis.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Revolve" is a musical EP of Justin Guarini.
- "Revolve" is a musical album of Beautiful Skin.
- "Revolve" is a musical album of Revolve.
"Revolve" is a 2012 short film directed by Oscar Lhermitte.
- country: United Kingdom
- released in (4 years ago)
Revolve a.k.a. Revolve Kitchen & Bar is a restaurant.
- read more about Revolve Kitchen & Bar
Phrases with Revolve
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Revolve
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Claiming Sacred Ground (2001)
Pilgrims and Politics at Glastonbury and Sedona by Adrian J. Ivakhiv
The axis around which New Age and ecospiritual beliefs about the Earth revolve is the idea that modernity has alienated humans from the natural world, but ...
Artificial Intelligence IV (2016)
Methodology, Systems, Applications by P. Jorrand, V. Sgurev
revolve is that the import of a default d = q = q is to make a model (that is, an exhaustive specification of what the domain of ...
Creative Destruction (2003)
Nikos Kazantzakis and the Literature of Responsibility by Lewis Owens
Martin Buber correctly notes: "The basic problem around which all of Boehme's thoughts revolve is the relation of the individual to the world.""8 Creation is not a once-for-all completed act, but a constant self- 1,5Bien, Kazantzakis: Politics of the ...
by Gunnar Beck
The Leitmotiv around which Fichte's and Kant's legal and political philosophy revolve is the problem of human freedom. This is generally recognised by the existing English-language discussions of Fichte's and Kant's practical philosophy as ...
The Elementary Principles, Construction, Operation and Repair of Automobiles, Gasoline Engines and Automobile Electric Systems; Including Trucks, Tractors, and Motorcycles, Simple, Thorough and Practical by Andrew Lee Dyke
one connected to each rear wheel, which run free on the axle, like a buggy and is called a “dead” axle because it does not revolve. The Drive System—see chart 6. The connection between the engine ...
stationary axis, and the pan containing the die ring is made to revolve. Huntington Mill. — A pulverizer largely...
The rollers revolve against a die ring in the pan and gyrate around the central vertical shaft. The ore is pulverized between the ...
Stop the machine, and the ball will continue to revolve for seme time upon the board ; but as the friction gradually stops its motion, the weight acting upon it will bring it nearer and nearer to the centre in every revolution, until it brings it quite ...
by Richard Brookes
This system supposes the Earth at rest in the centre of the universe, and that the heavens revolve round it from east to west, carrying all the celestial bodies along with them, in twenty-four hours. Among the ancient philosophers, the principal ...
The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia (1832)
Faraday's apparatus for causing a Magnet to revolve round an electrical Conductor. 13. Is Mr. Faraday's apparatus for causing a Magnet to revolve round its own axis by means of an electrical current. 14. Illustrates the development of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Revolve
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about revolve
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb revolve:
Photos about Revolve
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Revolve
Click on an item to play that video:
- Revolve Meaning
Video shows what revolve means. To orbit a central point.. To turn on an axis.. To recur in cycles.. Revolve Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- 1/2 Revolve, 1/2 Basic Move - UREC Step Dictionary
- Revolve pedals city to green initiative Description
A nonprofit advocacy group refurbishes old bikes and brings them back to life.
See also the pronunciation examples of Revolve!
Quotes about Revolve
Scrabble value of R1E1V4O1L1V4E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REVOLVE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Revolve!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Revolve to see it in context!