The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun recreation:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun recreation
- Phrases with Recreation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Recreation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Recreation
- Photos about Recreation
- Video language resources about Recreation
- Sign language
- Quotes about Recreation
- Scrabble value of R1E1C3R1E1A1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of RECREATION
- Share this page
Recreation is sometimes a misspelling of requisition.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun recreation
What does recreation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: recreations
- an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates
- examples: for recreation he wrote poetry and solved crossword puzzles | drug abuse is often regarded as a form of recreation
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of recreation: diversion
- more generic word: activity = any specific behavior
- more specific terms:
- put-on / antic / caper / prank / trick / joke = a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement
- bathing = immersing the body in water or sunshine
- celebration / festivity = any joyous diversion
- terpsichore / saltation / dancing / dance = taking a series of rhythmical steps (and movements) in time to music
- entertainment / amusement = an activity that is diverting and that holds the attention
- escapade / lark = any carefree episode
- escapism / escape = an inclination to retreat from unpleasant realities through diversion or fantasy
- eurhythmics / eurythmics / eurhythmy / eurythmy = the interpretation in harmonious bodily movements of the rhythm of musical compositions
- playfulness / merriment / fun = activities that are enjoyable or amusing
- gambling / gaming / play = the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning
- game = an amusement or pastime
- jocularity / jest / joke = activity characterized by good humor
- night life / nightlife = the activity of people seeking nighttime diversion
- interest / pastime / pursuit = a diversion that occupies one's time and thoughts
- child's play / play = activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules
- frolic / gambol / caper / play / romp = gay or light-hearted recreational activity for diversion or amusement
- athletics / sport = an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
- activity that refreshes and recreates; activity that renews your health and spirits by enjoyment and relaxation
Alternative definition of the noun recreation
- Any activity, such as play, that amuses, diverts or stimulates.
- synonym: leisure
Specialised definition of the noun recreation
Glossary of sports
an activity that a person takes part in for pleasure or relaxation rather than as work (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
enjoyable activities that people do for fun (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Recreation a.k.a. Re:creation is a record label.
- read more about Re:creation
- "Recreation" is a musical album of Acid Black Cherry.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Recreation" is a musical album of Papier Tigre.
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Recreation" a.k.a. "RéCréation" is a 1999 double album recorded by French singer Florent Pagny. It was his fifth studio album and his seventh album overall. It was on October 26, 1999, and achieved success in France and Belgium, where it remained charted respectively for 21 and 24 weeks, including a peak at #1 and at #4. This album contains cover versions of various successful songs originally recorded by other artists. There were two singles from this album : "Jolie môme" and "Les parfums de sa vie".
- also known as Recreation (disc 1), Recreation (disc 2)
- genre: Pop music
- released on (16 years ago)
- "Recreation" a.k.a. "Récréation" is a musical album of Claude Nougaro.
- released in (42 years ago)
- "Recreation" is an album by Kristian Schultze Set.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Recreation" a.k.a. "Récréation" is a musical album of Jordy.
- released in (21 years ago)
- "ReCreation" is a musical album of Zap Mama.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "RECREATION" is a musical single of Supercar.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Recreation" a.k.a. "Récréation" is a musical album of Cirque Plume.
- "Recreation" is a composition.
- music by ATB
- "Recreation" is a book by Phillip O. Foss.
- "Recreation" is a book by Jay Bryan Nash.
- also known as "Recreation: pertinent readings"
- "Recreation" is a book by Charles Kestner Brightbill.
- also known as "Recreation: text and readings"
- Recreation is an activity of leisure, leisure being discretionary time. The "need to do something for recreation" is an essential element of human biology and psychology. Recreational activities are often done for enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure and are considered to be "fun".
- also known as 休閒
- Recreation a.k.a. Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation is an industry.
Phrases with Recreation
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Recreation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by George Torkildsen
recreation is a means for improving and maintaining societal cohesion and the quality of life; its development is dependent on social participation. Hence, community recreation is a system of services for wholesome, positively sanctioned activities.
by Connie Mok, Beverley Sparks, Jay Kadampully
Recreation refers to the experiences and activities (or inactivities) undertaken during leisure time to recreate physically, psychologically,
Planning and Management by Paul F. J. Eagles, Stephen F. McCool
Recreation is an important use of parks and protected areas. The concept has several meanings. The Oxford...
Recreation is the act of creating over again, of renewing, of replenishing. What are we looking for when we recreate in ...
by Terry Robertson, Terry Long
herapeutic recreation is a profession.
Grant's Getaways (2013)
101 Oregon Adventures by Grant McOmie
Bruce is also the flight manager for the WVSC and added that the motorless, highflying recreation is an addiction. “It is a passion! Once you try it, you can't live without it and it's something anyone can do.” The Willamette Valley Soaring Club ...
Passive activity or passive recreation is the most important park element in early design in Victorian Park. Walking, strolling, picnicking with the family, relaxing with horticultural display and music are the early passive activities. The passive ...
by United States. Bureau of Land Management. Idaho State Office
Recreation is an important component in the economy of the five-county area, due primarily to the presence of the Sun Valley resort complex (Blaine County) and the Snake River (Gooding and Elmore Counties). Population Gooding is the ...
There is Room at the Inn (2006)
Inns and B&Bs for Wheelers and Slow Walkers by Candy B Harrington
Outdoor recreation is a big draw during the winter months ...
by John Jenkins, John Pigram
The Recreation Opportunity Spectrum (ROS) is a framework for integratingoutdoorrecreation...
Prepared for Presentation to the Associated Advertising Clubs of the World on the Occasion of Their Visit to Philadelphia in June of the Good Year 1916
PLAYGROUNDS FOR EVERYBODY Our public recreation system represents one of the most wise and beneficent investments of municipal expenditures. The movement for the provision of playgrounds was initiated in 1907 by an Association ...
A Compendium of Facts for Easy Reference which Shall Constitute a Guide to Every Department of Social and Domestic Economy. A Manual for Every Home
Recreation is quite as necessary, at proper times, to our well-being as useful employments and occupations are. It is agreeable to persons of all ages and classes. Nature requires it, and the desire for it should be gratified to a reasonable ...
The Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Regional Cultures by Jan Goggans, Aaron DiFranco
Sperm frequently are invented in response to place, and for many of the Pacific Region's most popular and long-lived sports, it is true that the culture of recreation has grown out of regional topography. Sports such as hiking, fly- fishing, hunting, ...
Volume 8: Environment by Martin Melosi
Department of Interior pushed for a new classification, national recreation area, which would meet the demand for outdoor recreation without the special “scenic and historic” qualities found in national parks.
CONVEYANCE of Foreshore and of an Adjoining Piece of Land above high water mark by the Lord of a Manor to an Urban District Council for the Purpose of a Public Recreation Ground (/>;. THIS INDENTUKE is made the day of BETWEEN ...
A Dictionary of Thoughts (1908)
by Tryon Edwards
RECREATION.-(See " Amusement," and " Mibth.
by Spencer Thomson
RECREATION— or the renovation of the powers of body or mind, after they have been exhausted by toil, is one of the highest pleasures enjoyable by man ; a real pleasure, because it can only be purchased by those previous exertions, in the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Recreation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Recreation
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: msdeegan
Camera: Canon PowerShot A720IS
Photo credit: lactulli
Photo credit: Uncleweed
The city of Berkeley has .put up a bike and pedestrian bridge across the freeway, just south of University. On either side of the bridge is a statue. This is the side near the park.
Photo credit: celesteh
Photo credit: camp.discovery
Photo credit: uncleboatshoes
Photo credit: Marco Nürnberger
Photo credit: HereStanding
- Recreation area
Photo credit: Anton Novoselov
- Wolford Mountain Recreation Area
Wolford Mountain Recreation Area entrance
Photo credit: Jeffrey Beall
- Morgan Bar Recreation Site
Photo credit: BLMIdaho
- Loon Lake Recreation Site, Oregon
Photo credit: elias_daniel
- Morgan Bar Recreation Site
Photo credit: BLMIdaho
- Recreation Ground Panorama
Photo credit: samsaundersleeds
View more pictures about Curecanti National Recreation Area.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Recreation
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tolor's Club, Leisure and Recreation Vocabulary, Self-Challenge Video
This is a Tolor's Club self-challenge video. After learning the "Leisure and Recreation" vocabulary contained in the vocabulary and pronunciation video, use this ...
- Tolor's Club -- Leisure and Recreation, Vocabulary and Pronunciation Video
This video introduces vocabulary and pronunciation for the names of some common leisure and recreation activities. Listen and repeat!
- Symphony in Slang (1951) - recreation titles
- Recreation Meaning
Video shows what recreation means. Any activity, such as play, that amuses, diverts or stimulates.. recreation synonyms: leisure. Recreation Meaning. How to ...
- Special Settings Recreation Vocabulary for Rodeo
- Recreation Vocabulary
- Unit 6 - Vocabulary - Sports and recreation, appointments)
This video will cover vocabulary from pages 66-67 of the "Signing Naturally" textbook. Sports and Recreation -Football (plus an alternate sign) - Baseball ...
- Term 4 Vocabulary Words - Sports and Recreation
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Recreation centre construction work
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Recreation installation
- A Description of Therapeutic Recreation
The purpose of this video was to educate others about Therapeutic Recreation. Enjoy :)
- Sports and Recreation -...
- Recreation Workers Job Description
Recreation Workers Job Description.
- Amusement and Recreation Attendants Job Description
Amusement and Recreation Attendants Job Description.
- ESL Recreation and Parks 2
- Ancient Language Recreation Linguist Recreates Proto Indo European Language
Between approximately 4500 and 2500 B.C, the ancestors of much of Europe and Asia once spoke the same mother tongue, a language referred to as ...
- Daytime Recreation 04 B126 Dubacid - Description Available (Samuel James Deephouse Mix)
- Stealth - Nolimits Recreation [HD] 1080p LIRE LA DESCRIPTION
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Recreation
See also the pronunciation examples of Recreation!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sign Language: Sports & Recreation : Sign Language: Team, Lose, Win, Play
How did the team do? Did they win or lose? Learn how to do sign language related to sports and recreation in this free education video. Expert: Rachel Berman ...
- Sign Language: Sports & Recreation : Sign Language: Sport Signs
The wide world of sports is pretty easy to sign. Learn how to do sign language related to sports and recreation in this free education video. Expert: Rachel ...
- Sign Language: Sports & Recreation : Sign Language: Referee, Umpire, Score
The referees at the game were as bad as the umpires last week. Learn how to do sign language related to sports and recreation in this free education video.
- Sign Language: Sports & Recreation : Sign Language: Champion, Tournament
Her team was the champion of the tournament. Learn how to do sign language related to sports and recreation in this free education video. Expert: Rachel ...
- Sign Language: Sports & Recreation : Sign Language: Match, Game, Challenge
Is it called a soccer game or a football match? It's a challenge to know which to use. Learn how to do sign language related to sports and recreation in this free ...
Quotes about Recreation
Scrabble value of R1E1C3R1E1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RECREATION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Recreation!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Recreation to see it in context!