On this page:
- Definition of the verb recline
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Recline
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Recline
- Usage statistics about recline
- Photos about Recline
- Video about Recline
- Quotes about Recline
- Scrabble value of R1E1C3L1I1N1E1
- Anagrams of RECLINE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb recline
What does recline mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: reclined | reclining | reclines
- move the upper body backwards and down
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Theme, indefinite] There stood on the corner a statue [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location] They stood the statue on the pedestal [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] John slouched [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] The statue stood on the corner [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] On the pedestal stood a statue
Verbs of Existence (with the same syntax): balance, bend, bow, crouch, dangle, droop, flop, fly, hang, hover, huddle, hunch, jut, kneel, lean, lie, loll, loom, lounge, nestle, open, perch, plop, project, protrude, repose, rest, rise, roost, sag, sit, slope, slouch, slump, sprawl, squat, stand, stoop, straddle, swing, tilt, tower.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of recline: lean back
- more generic words: angle / lean / slant / tilt / tip = to incline or bend from a vertical position
- more specific term: fall back = fall backwards and down
- cause to recline
- lean in a comfortable resting position
- examples: The children recline in the rocking chair | There recline some children in the rocking chair
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of recline: recumb / repose
- more generic word: lie = be lying, be prostrate
- more specific word: rest = be at rest
Alternative definition of the verb recline
- [transitive] To cause to lean back; to bend back.
- [transitive] To put in a resting position.
- [intransitive] To lean back.
- [intransitive] To put one's self in a resting position.
Recline is a record label.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Recline
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Cameron Shelley
For those of us who have to squeeze ourselves into the limited airplane legroom space of a coach seat offered by many airlines, a seat in front of us that is poised to recline is a collision waiting to happen—with our knees serving as bumpers.
fully defining and explaining all religious terms, including biographical, geographical, historical, archaeological and doctrinal themes by Samuel Fallows (bp.)
whereas imxXlru, to recline is the word employed in the Gospel.
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
To thir supper fruits they fell, Nectarine fruits which the compliant boughes Yielded them, side-long as they sat recline On the soft downie bank rtamaskt with flours. Milton. Paradise Lost, book iv. 1. 333. □ □ Behoves no more, But sidelong to ...
On the Basis of Webster's English Dictionary ... Also, a Supplement Containing an Extensive Collection of Words, Terms and Phrases in ... Literature, Science, and Art, Together with Numerous Obsolete, Obsolescent, and Scottish Words Not Included in Previous English Dictionaries by John Ogilvie
See RECLINE.] In bot, reclined, as a leaf; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Recline
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about recline
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb recline:
Photos about Recline
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Recline
Video shows what recline means. To cause to lean back; to bend back.. To put in a resting position.. To lean back.. Recline Meaning. How to pronounce ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Recline!
Quotes about Recline
Scrabble value of R1E1C3L1I1N1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RECLINE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Recline!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Recline to see it in context!