On this page:
- Definition of the verb receive
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Receive
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Receive
- Usage statistics about receive
- Photos about Receive
- Video language resources about Receive
- Sign language
- Quotes about Receive
- Scrabble value of R1E1C3E1I1V4E1
- Anagrams of RECEIVE
- Share this page
The word receive is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb receive
What does receive mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: received | receiving | receives
- get something; come into possession of
- examples: receive payment | receive a gift | receive letters from the front | The banks receive the check | They receive more bread | They receive the money
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Carmen bought a dress | Carmen obtained the spare part [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from [Source] Carmen bought a dress from Diana | Carmen obtained the spare part from Diana
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonym of receive: have
- more generic words: acquire / get = come into the possession of something concrete or abstract
- more specific terms:
- receive a specified treatment (abstract)
- examples: These aspects of civilization do not find expression or receive an interpretation | His movie received a good review
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of receive: find / get / incur / obtain
- more generic word: change = undergo a change; become different in essence
- more specific word: take = ascertain or determine by measuring, computing or take a reading from a dial
- register (perceptual input)
- go through (mental or physical states or experiences)
- example: receive injuries
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonyms of receive: experience / get / have
- more generic word: undergo = pass through
- more specific words:
- entailment: comprehend / perceive = to become aware of through the senses
- express willingness to have in one's home or environs
- examples: The community warmly received the refugees | Sam cannot receive Sue
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of receive: invite / take in
- more specific words:
- accept as true or valid
- bid welcome to; greet upon arrival
- convert into sounds or pictures
- experience as a reaction
- have or give a reception
- receive as a retribution or punishment
- partake of the Holy Eucharist sacrament
- regard favorably or with disapproval
Alternative definition of the verb receive
- to get, to be given something while the other party is the active partner (opposite: to obtain).
- to take possession of
- To act as a host for guests.
- To suffer from (an injury)
- [telecommunications] To detect a signal from a transmitter.
- [sport] To be in a position to take possition, or hit back the ball.
- [tennis, badminton, squash] To be in a position to hit back a service.
- [American football] To be in a position to catch a forward pass
- [transitive, intransitive] To accept into the mind; to understand.
- "Receive" is a song by Canadian-American recording artist Alanis Morissette, released as the third single from her eighth studio album, Havoc and Bright Lights. The song was written by Morissette and Guy Sigsworth, and produced by Joe Chiccarelli. It is a rock ballad about a relationship in which one person gives more than the other, and the wear it causes to the people involved.
- "Receive" is a musical EP of Gift of Gods.
- released on
- "Receive" is a 2012 single by Alanis Morissette.
- released on
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Receive
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Be Happy! (2009)
by Robert Holden
To receive means to know who you are.
To receive is the beginning of creativity in all its forms.
Or, Rome in the Third Century by William Ware
They pretend not to know, nor to be able to explain to another, why, if what they receive is the truth and they are true believers in a true religion, they should be exposed to such sufferings for its sake; and that which is false, and injurious as ...
An Encyclopedia by Jeffrey E. Cole
Thus Monegasques, the 5,000 or so passport holders of tiny Monaco, do not receive an entry. Whenever possible, small groups receive mention in treatments of larger, related groups, as in the case of the Ramaniotes (Greek-speaking Jews ) ...
by John Anthony McGuckin
Othen/vise we cannot worthily receive the Communion even once a year, as some do, who live in monasteries and hold the dignity and holiness and value of the heavenly sacraments in such high regard as to think that none but saints and ...
The Sporting Dictionary and Rural Repository of General Information Upon Every Subject Appertaining to the Sports of the Field (1803)
by William Taplin
Lameness in this part can receive no assistance from bandage; fomentation, embrocation, and rest, arc the only ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Receive
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about receive
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb receive:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb receive:
Photos about Receive
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Receive
Click on an item to play that video:
- Receive Meaning
Video shows what receive means. To take, as something that is offered, given, committed, sent, paid, etc.; to accept; to be given something.. To take possession ...
- An Explanation why it takes so long to receive your Iphone
why it take for ever to get your Iphone when you order it from this unnamed web site.
- Walking by Faith has TRUE Meaning, when you pray for & receive Mustard Seed Faith
- Receive Respond initial explanation Ricky Beresford
- Receive Respond explanation response piece Ricky Beresford
- Explanation of why Medicare will receive cuts
- Receive your prayer language
Dr Patricia has been led by Holy Spirit to record a new video on receiving your prayer language. In these last days it is important to be empowered with your ...
- SSAISD 3rd Graders Receive Dictionary Donation
- Penguins and Islanders Receive Suspensions Including 100,000 Fine (Description)
The National Hockey League has suspended Pittsburgh's Eric Godard for 10 games, while Trevor Gillies of the New York Islanders received a nine-game ...
- Pleiadian, Sirian, Dolphin, Mantis Light Language (10D codes), Open and Receive
Light Code Transmission by Deborah Lapatina and Aldo Internal Stargate chart by John Fanuzzi...
- James "Nikki" Rowe HS ESL class receive iPad 2
James "Nikki" Rowe HS Recent Immigration Held class receives iPad 2 through a federal grant to aid students.
- Ukrainians receive New Year's congratulations in Belarusian language this week
Students of Taras Shevchenko Kyiv University solidified knowledge, acquired through courses of the new major, in such a way. Pavel Firsov reports: To ...
- Receive your prayer language
- ESL Police Dept. Receive 5 New Cars With JAG Funding1-14-15 (c) ARR to & Video By Erica M. Brooks
ESL Police Dept. Receive 5 New Cars With JAG Funding. The Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAR) Program (42 U.S.C. 3751 (a)) is the ...
- Set #4 Description painting titles: Tribe, Pleasure, Power, Healing,OM, Light,Receive.
- Receive ur prayer language so u speak in tongues prayer
- ESL Receive Event Of The Year Award from STL DistTA 11-19-14 (c) 2014 Video by Erica M. Brooks
- How to receive newsletters in more than one language
- Receive Call of Duty 8 At No Cost [How-To] CHECK DESCRIPTION
See also the pronunciation examples of Receive!
Open Your Hands and Your Heart to receive Christ / American Sign Language
Quotes about Receive
When you are in a state of nonacceptance, it's difficult to learn. A clenched fist cannot receive a gift, and a clenched psyche grasped tightly against the reality of what must not be accepted cannot easily receive a lesson. (Roger John)
more quotes about receive...
Scrabble value of R1E1C3E1I1V4E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RECEIVE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Receive!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Receive to see it in context!