The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun reaction:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun reaction
- Phrases with Reaction
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reaction
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reaction
- Photos about Reaction
- Video language resources about Reaction
- Sign language
- Quotes about Reaction
- Scrabble value of R1E1A1C3T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of REACTION
- Share this page
Reaction is a member of the word family react, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun reaction
What does reaction mean as a name of something?
Reaction is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: reactions
- (chemistry) a process in which one or more substances are changed into others
- example: there was a chemical reaction of the lime with the ground water
- domain: chemical science / chemistry
- lexical domain: Natural Processes - nouns denoting natural processes
- synonym of reaction: chemical reaction
- more generic terms: chemical action / chemical change / chemical process = any process determined by the atomic and molecular composition and structure of the substances involved
- more specific terms:
- addition reaction = a chemical reaction in which one molecule is added to another
- aldol reaction = a reaction of aldehydes resulting in an aldol
- chain reaction = a series of chemical reactions in which the product of one is a reactant in the next
- chemical equilibrium / equilibrium = a chemical reaction and its reverse proceed at equal rates
- chemical decomposition reaction / decomposition reaction / decomposition = separation of a substance into two or more substances that may differ from each other and from the original substance
- displacement reaction / displacement = a reaction in which an elementary substance displaces and sets free a constituent element from a compound
- double decomposition reaction / double decomposition / metathesis = a chemical reaction between two compounds in which parts of each are interchanged to form two new compounds
- elimination reaction = a chemical reaction in which a molecule decomposes to two different molecules
- endothermic reaction = a chemical reaction accompanied by the absorption of heat
- exothermic reaction = a chemical reaction accompanied by the evolution of heat
- hydrolysis = a chemical reaction in which water reacts with a compound to produce other compounds
- neutralisation reaction / neutralization reaction / neutralisation / neutralization = a chemical reaction in which an acid and a base interact with the formation of a salt
- oxidisation / oxidization / oxidation = the process of oxidizing; the addition of oxygen to a compound with a loss of electrons
- oxidation-reduction / oxidoreduction / redox = a reversible chemical reaction in which one reaction is an oxidation and the reverse is a reduction
- photochemical reaction = a chemical reaction produced by the action of light
- reduction / reducing = any process in which electrons are added to an atom or ion
- saponification = a chemical reaction in which an ester is heated with an alkali
- an idea evoked by some experience
- a bodily process occurring due to the effect of some antecedent stimulus or agent
- example: a bad reaction to the medicine
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of reaction: response
- more generic terms: activity / bodily function / bodily process / body process = an organic process that takes place in the body
- more specific terms:
- automatism = any reaction that occurs automatically without conscious thought or reflection
- rebound = a reaction to a crisis or setback or frustration
- overreaction = an excessive reaction
- electrical skin response / psychogalvanic response / electrodermal response / galvanic skin response / Tarchanoff phenomenon / Fere phenomenon / GSR = a change in the electrical properties of the skin in response to stress or anxiety
- immunologic response / immune reaction / immune response = a bodily defense reaction that recognizes an invading substance (an antigen: such as a virus or fungus or bacteria or transplanted organ) and produces antibodies specific against that antigen
- tropism = an involuntary orienting response
- taxis = a locomotor response toward or away from an external stimulus by a motile (and usually simple) organism
- kinesis = a movement that is a response to a stimulus but is not oriented with respect to the source of stimulation
- double take = a delayed reaction indicating surprise
- physiological reaction / unconditioned reflex / instinctive reflex / reflex response / inborn reflex / innate reflex / reflex action / reflex = an automatic instinctive unlearned reaction to a stimulus
- learned reaction / learned response = a reaction that has been acquired by learning
- passage / passing = a bodily reaction of changing from one place or stage to another
- answer = a nonverbal reaction
- transfusion reaction = reaction of the body to a transfusion of blood that is not compatible with its own blood
- (mechanics) the equal and opposite force that is produced when any force is applied to a body
- a response that reveals a person's feelings or attitude
- extreme conservatism in political or social matters
- example: the forces of reaction carried the election
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- more generic words: conservatism / conservativism = a political or theological orientation advocating the preservation of the best in society and opposing radical changes
- doing something in opposition to another way of doing it that you don't like
- example: his style of painting was a reaction against cubism
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: opposition / resistance = the action of opposing something that you disapprove or disagree with
- more specific word: backlash = an adverse reaction to some political or social occurrence
Alternative definition of the noun reaction
- An action or statement in response to a stimulus or other event
- [chemistry] A transformation in which one or more substances is converted into another by combination or decomposition
Reaction is a musical group.
- album: "Kill the Parasite"
Reaction is a record label.
- "Reaction" is the second album by American R&B singer Rebbie Jackson. The album released in 1986 and spawned two mildly successful singles, "Reaction" and "You Send the Rain Away", a duet with Robin Zander. "Ticket To Love" was going to be released as the second single and received a very limited promo release before being cancelled in favour of "You Send the Rain Away". The album-only track "Tonight I'm Yours", a duet with Isaac Hayes received substantial airplay but was not commercially released as a single.
- "Reaction" is a song by American R&B singer Rebbie Jackson and the title track from her album of the same name, released as a single in 1986. The single peaked at number fifteen on the Billboard dance chart and number sixteen on the Billboard R&B chart. The single was released on a 12" format, including an extended dance mix, radio edit, and dub. The single was also released in a 7" format, including a radio edit and instrumental version.
- "Reaction" is a musical single of Alex Gaudino & Jerma.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Reaction" a.k.a. "Reaction!" is a musical single of Mirror People.
- released on
- "Reaction" is a musical album of Howard Tate.
- released in (45 years ago)
- "Reaction" is a musical album of Latent Anxiety.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Reaction" is a musical album of Bob Marley & The Wailers.
Phrases with Reaction
Phrases starting with the word Reaction:
Phrases ending with the word Reaction:
- Gut Reaction
- Sn1 Reaction
- Sn2 Reaction
- Name reaction
- aldol reaction
- chain reaction
- light reaction
- Mixed Reaction
- Redox Reaction
- immune reaction
- Suzuki Reaction
- anxiety reaction
- defence reaction
- defense reaction
- insulin reaction
View more phrases with the word Reaction in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reaction
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by CTI Reviews
The Barbier reaction is an organic reaction between an alkyl halide and a carbonyl group as an electrophilic substrate...
by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Ruben Alvarado
The second reaction is that of individuals against legal authority and the state power, against subordination, universal conscription, the organization of the judiciary. This produced the isolation and therefore defencelessness of individuals.
The Philosophy of History (2007)
by Georg W. F. Hegel
The second reaction is that of individuals against legal authority and the executive power — against subordination, and the military and judicial arrangements of the constitution. This produced the isolation and therefore defencelessness of ...
by Lynn H. Turner, Richard West
An active verbal reaction is an approach reaction in which recipients respond directly to the hurtful message and includes behaviors such as attacking the individual, defending themselves, and being sarcastic. An acquiescence reaction is an ...
Organic Chemistry (2011)
An Acid—Base Approach by Michael B. Smith
Enthalpy is the term used to measure bond dissociation energy, • and ΔH° for a reaction is the difference in bond dissociation energy for bonds made (products) minus that for bonds broken (starting materials). This is products minus reactants: ...
The Journal of Philosophy (1922)
A speech reaction is a direction to subsequent behavior: Look and see; listen and hear; jump, turn to the left — remarks addressed to another who is...
Ecology of Fresh Waters (2013)
A View for the Twenty-First Century by Brian R. Moss
Such reaction is a measure of true solution. It also allows it to dissolve slightly polar organic compounds, particularly those with hydroxyl and amino groups, such as sugars, alcohols, amino acids, amides and organic bases. But it does not truly ...
by Christoph Antons
A second reaction is that in so far as law figures - if at all — in the vast literatures concerning the economic development of Japan it is with respect to the possibilities it affords of administrative discretion in pursuit of developmental ends. That is ...
Life , Science of Biology (2016)
by CTI Reviews
The polymerase chain reaction is a biochemical technology in molecular biology ...
by Derek G. Waller, Tony Sampson
The zeroorder reaction is a uniform change in concentration C over time. (B) The firstorder reaction is an exponential curve in which concentrations fall fastest when they are highest. (C) Plotting the natural logarithm of the concentration (In ...
General Chemistry (2014)
by Linus Pauling
The anode reaction is an oxidation reaction.
Discovering Reality (2003)
Feminist Perspectives on Epistemology, Metaphysics, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science by Sandra Harding, Merrill B. Hintikka †
A first reaction is that feminist writings are quite tedious because they are repetitive. In this context, the fact that feminist writings would presumably say the same thing over and over again is not taken as a prima facie clue to the universality and ...
Dictionary of Chemistry (2014)
by Andrew Hunt
Two half-equations combine to give an overall balanced equation for a redox reaction. Iron(III) ions can oxidize iodide ions to iodine. This can be shown as two halfequations: electron gain (reduction): Fe3+(aq) + e~ ----> Fe2+(aq) electron loss ...
Focus on Management Options by W. Wolfgang Fleischhacker, Ian P. Stolerman
Cross-References First-Generation Antipsychotics Phenothiazines Chronic Disappointment Reaction Synonyms Demoralization syndrome Definition A syndrome involving lowered or dysphoric mood that occurs in response to a perceived ...
by Nicholas D. Spencer, John H. Moore
The general field of gas-surface reactions can be unified by classification into four groups, according to whether the products are volatile or involatile, and whether the reaction products incorporate atoms from the surface (see table C2. 18.1).
by Taniya Sachdeva
Concerted reaction It is a chemical reaction in which all bonds are made and broken in a single step. Condensation It is the change of water from its gaseous form, that is, water vapour into liquid water. In short, it is the liquefaction of vapour .
by Michael Szycher
Pyrogenic reaction: fever produced by endotoxins from gram-positive bacteria . (4) Systemic toxicity: the dosage-related effect on the whole organism form an identifiable agent. (5) Sensitization: a condition of being more susceptible to ...
by Nicholas P Cheremisinoff
HALF-LIFE The term “half-life” is generally interpreted as meaning a "rate constant" in describing cross-linking reactions or catalyst activity in a polymerization reaction. With respect to Vulcanization, half-life is the time it takes one-half of any ...
by James Fitton Couch
REACTING WEIGHT 159 REACTION Reacting Weight. The equivalent weight, q.v. Reaction. 1. A reaction is a process in which one form of matter is transformed into another form or other forms which have different properties. An energy ...
by Stephen L. Vaughn
Reaction. tothe. Report. Even before publication ofthe report,the Hutchins Commission came under fire fromthe press.It conducted meetingsin secret, broadly definedthe press toinclude radio,magazines, television andmotion pictures, and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reaction
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Reaction
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: TheeErin
Photo credit: Instant Vantage
Photo credit: DBduo Photography
- Fan Reaction
The men's basketball team fell to their Patriot League rivals Navy 85-81 Jan. 22, in front of a sold out crowd at Christl Arena. Photo by Tommy Gilligan/USMA
Photo credit: West Point - The U.S. Military Academy
- Cosmic Reaction
By peeling an orange, Johnny inadvertently caused a galactic catastrophe in an alternate universe.
PS. Actually the sun, some clouds, and smoke from a forest fire :)
Photo credit: Jan Tik
- Luminous reaction
A chemical reaction that emits light.
The two chemicals (luminol in acetone and hydrogen peroxide) react with an emission of light. At this point, light is only emitted from where the two compounds touch.
(no after-effects here)
Photo credit: le_hollandais_volant
View more pictures about Chain Reaction.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Reaction
Click on an item to play that video:
- Extent of reaction: definition and application to systems consisting of one or more process units
Overview: This video explains the concept of extent of reaction, which finds widespread use in Chemical Engineering. The units of this quantity in closed as well ...
- Reaction Rate Explanation
Compares the rate of reaction for 2 conditions in a plug flow reactor and explains why the rate of reaction in higher in one reactor. Also, compares the rate of ...
- 2 kids in a sandbox reaction & explanation: William
- Immune reaction Meaning
Video shows what immune reaction means. All the changes in a tissue that result from the action of a foreign substance introduced into an organism. immune ...
- Paradoxical rage reaction Meaning
Video shows what paradoxical rage reaction means. An aggressive behaviour sometimes manifested by patients taking certain drugs, such as benzodiazepines.
- Electron transfer reaction Meaning
Video shows what electron transfer reaction means. a reaction in which a single electron is transferred from one molecule to another; one being oxidized and the ...
- 17-3 Reaction kinetics: definition of activation energy, Arrhenius equation
(c) 2012 edX Lecture by Prof. Cima, MIT, taken form the edX course : 3.091x Introduction to Solid State Chemistry ...
- Synthesis Reaction Explanation
- Kulinkovich reaction Meaning
Video shows what Kulinkovich reaction means. The organic synthesis of cyclopropanols via reaction of esters with dialkyldialkoxytitanium reagents, generated in ...
- Reaction Audio Visual: Customization is the definition of customer service
J Ocana, co-founder and COO of Reaction Audio Visual, uses the Sprinter's configurability to meet the needs of client installations that range from massive trade ...
- Simmons-Smith reaction Meaning
Video shows what Simmons-Smith reaction means. An organic cheletropic chemical reaction in which a carbenoid reacts with an alkene (or alkyne) to form a ...
- Lab Reaction Explanation 1
- Reaction mixture Meaning
Video shows what reaction mixture means. A product of the act or process or an instance of mixing and reacting ( COMBINING) two or more substances together ...
- Prevost reaction Meaning
Video shows what Prevost reaction means. The trans oxidation of an alkene, to form a dihydric alcohol, catalyzed by iodine and silver benzoate.. Prevost ...
- Reaction of member of farmers' association to the centre's explanation regarding Mekedaatu
- Mitsunobu reaction Meaning
Video shows what Mitsunobu reaction means. An organic reaction that converts an alcohol into a variety of functional groups, such as an ester, using ...
- Suzuki reaction Meaning
Video shows what Suzuki reaction means. The organic reaction of an aryl- or vinyl-boronic acid with an aryl- or vinyl-halide or pseudohalide, such as triflates, ...
- "Greatest Reaction Explanation"
The link to the Greatest Reaction video...
- Reaction Meaning
Video shows what reaction means. An action or statement in response to a stimulus or other event. A transformation in which one or more substances is ...
View more videos about SN1 reaction, Chain Reaction, Mixed Reaction, Reaction Vessel, Nuclear reaction, Addition reaction, Chemical reaction, Grignard reaction, Maillard reaction, Diels-Alder Reaction, Condensation reaction, Substitution reaction, Idiosyncratic Reaction, and Friedel-Crafts reaction.
See also the pronunciation examples of Reaction!
Reaction video of Ben Bahan's Presentation "Impact of Sign Language Research"
Quotes about Reaction
Scrabble value of R1E1A1C3T1I1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REACTION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Reaction!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Reaction to see it in context!