On this page:
- Definition of the verb propose
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Propose
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Propose
- Usage statistics about propose
- Photos about Propose
- Video language resources about Propose
- Quotes about Propose
- Scrabble value of P3R1O1P3O1S1E1
- Anagrams of PROPOSE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb propose
What does propose mean as a doing word?
Propose is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: proposed | proposing | proposes
- make a proposal, declare a plan for something
- examples: the senator proposed to abolish the sales tax | They propose him to write the letter | They propose to move
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic] Ellen said a few words [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic] to [Recipient] Ellen said a few words to Helen [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, how-extraction] He confessed how she did it | I asked how she did it | I explained how it can be done | John suggested how she could do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, quotation] He says, 'It has to go.' [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, that-complement clause] He ordered that he go [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, that-complement clause, not tensed] John suggested that he should go [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, wh-infinitive clause] I asked how to do it | I explained how to do it | John suggested how to do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, what-extraction] He asked what he should do | I explained what he should do | John suggested what we should eat [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, what-infinitive clause] He asked what to do | I explained what to do | John suggested what to do [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] [Topic, quotation] Mr. Jacobson announced to the trading mob: 'We're going to trade on the bell.'
Verbs of Communication (with the same syntax): advise, announce, articulate, blab, blurt, claim, confess, confide, convey, declare, mention, note, observe, proclaim, recount, reiterate, relate, remark, repeat, report, reveal, say, state.
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of propose: advise / suggest
- more generic word: declare = state emphatically and authoritatively
- more specific terms:
- present for consideration, examination, criticism, etc.
- examples: He proposed a new plan for dealing with terrorism | She proposed a new theory of relativity
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonym of propose: project
- more generic word: plan = make plans for something
- more specific words:
- propose or intend
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, for-complement clause] I wished for her to do it [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, noun phrase with past participle] I wished the children found [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with infinitive] He wished to come [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] He wished that she would come immediately [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, to be] I wished him to be nice [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, not sentential clause] I wished it
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of propose: aim / purport / purpose
- more generic words: intend / mean / think = have in mind as a purpose
- put forward; nominate for appointment to an office or for an honor or position
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonym of propose: nominate
- more generic terms: choose / pick out / select / take = pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives
- more specific terms: put forward / nominate / put up = propose as a candidate for some honor
- ask (someone) to marry you
Alternative definition of the verb propose
- [transitive] To suggest a plan or course of action.
- [intransitive, followed by 'to'] To ask for a person's hand in marriage.
- [transitive] To intend.
"Propose" a.k.a. "The Bachelor" is a 1999 romantic comedy film directed by Gary Sinyor and written by Steve Cohen. It is a remake of the 1925 film Seven Chances and stars Chris O'Donnell and Renée Zellweger. The film was also the debut of R&B singer Grammy-winner Mariah Carey as an actress.
- read more about The Bachelor
- "Propose" is a song performed by Hot Potato.
- "Propose" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Kim Ho Il
- "PROPOSE" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Sawao Yamanaka
- "Propose" is a musical single of Michiyo Heike.
Propose is a TV program.
- begun on and completed on (18 years ago)
- country: South Korea
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Propose
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Historical, Ethical, and Religious Interpretations by Kelly A. Parker
propose is that of an ocean-going ship which is fitted with two outriggers. The main vessel that transports captain and crew is “Loyalty.” It seems sea-worthy enough for a good life well lived, but is more stable with the conceptual buoyancy ...
by John Platts
to offer, propose, or declare publicly.
by Wang, John
propose a methodology, based on the XQuery technology, for building XML data warehouses, which covers processes such as datacleaning, summarization, intermediating XML documents, updating/linking existing documents and ...
Encyclopedia of Constitutional Amendments, Proposed Amendments, and Amending Issues, 1789–2015, 4th Edition [2 volumes] (2015)
by John R. Vile
To date, all amendments have been proposed by a two-thirds vote of both houses of Congress, but two-thirds of the states also may petition Congress to call a convention to propose such amendments. Moreover, calls that fall short of a ...
by Benson John Lossing, Woodrow Wilson
Another question that may be raised is, How extensive would be the authority to propose amendments of a convention...
by Khosrow-Pour, D.B.A., Mehdi
propose a schema version model, titled the extended “Rich Base Schema ” (RiBS) model, for restructuring complex object hierarchies. A complex object hierarchy is a set of classes linked between them with reference relationships ...
Intended to Exhibit: I. The Origin and the Affinities of Every English Word ... II. The Orthography and the Pronunciation of Words ... III. Accurate and Discriminating Definitions of Technical and Scientific Terms ... To which are Prefixed an Introductory Dissertation on the Origin, History, and Connection of the Languages of Western Asia and of Europe and a Concise Grammar, Philosophical and Practical, of the English Language by Noah Webster
[from propose.] 1.
by Timothy M. Kusky, Katherine E. Cullen
American physicists John Bardeen, Leon Cooper, and Robert schrieffer propose an explanation for superconductivity in terms of conduction by electron pairs. Bayer and General Electric develop polycarbonate plastics. 1958 Japanese ...
by Khosrow-Pour, Mehdi
propose a virtual environment model dedicated to multiagent simulation. It gathers experiences collected on design of the environment, as a first-class entity, coming from both the multiagent and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Propose
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about propose
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb propose:
Photos about Propose
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jael Chng
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Propose
Click on an item to play that video:
- Propose Meaning
Video shows what propose means. To suggest a plan, course of action, etc.. To ask for a person's hand in marriage.. To intend.. Propose Meaning. How to ...
- Cleveland Schools Propose Changes to ESL Program
A school system is changing the way it runs a language program to meet a growing demand.
View more videos about Propose a Toast.
See also the pronunciation examples of Propose!
Quotes about Propose
Scrabble value of P3R1O1P3O1S1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PROPOSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Propose!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Propose to see it in context!