Property appears in the following tongue twister:
- Pirates Private Property
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun property:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun property:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun property
- Phrases with Property
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Property
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Property
- Photos about Property
- Video language resources about Property
- Sign language
- Quotes about Property
- Scrabble value of P3R1O1P3E1R1T1Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun property
What does property mean as a name of something?
Property is one of the top 1000 most common nouns. It is used mostly in informational writing, being one of the top 1000 most common nouns in informational written English.
noun - plural: properties
- something owned; any tangible or intangible possession that is owned by someone
- examples: that hat is my property | he is a man of property
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonyms of property: belongings / holding
- more generic word: possession = anything owned or possessed
- more specific terms:
- material possession / tangible possession = property or belongings that are tangible
- worldly possessions / worldly belongings / worldly goods = all the property that someone possesses
- rateables / ratables = property that provides tax income for local governments
- hereditament = any property (real or personal or mixed) that can be inherited
- intellectual property = intangible property that is the result of creativity
- community property = property and income belonging jointly to a married couple
- personal property / private property / personal estate / personalty = movable property
- things = any movable possession
- real property / real estate / immovable / realty = property consisting of houses and land
- commonage = property held in common
- landholding = a holding in the form of land
- salvage = property or goods saved from damage or destruction
- shareholding = a holding in the form of shares of corporations
- church property / spirituality / spiritualty = property or income owned by a church
- letting / rental / lease = property that is leased or rented out or let
- trade-in = an item of property that is given in part payment for a new one
- public property = property owned by a government
- wealth = property that has economic utility: a monetary value or an exchange value
- estate = everything you own
- heirloom = any property that is considered by law or custom as inseparable from an inheritance is inherited with that inheritance
- stockholdings / stockholding = a specific number of stocks or shares owned
- trust = something (as property) held by one party (the trustee) for the benefit of another
- a basic or essential attribute shared by all members of a class
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- more generic word: attribute = an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of an entity
- more specific terms:
- actinism = the property of radiation that enables it to produce photochemical effects
- isotropy / symmetry = the property of being isotropic
- anisotropy = the property of being anisotropic
- device characteristic / characteristic = any measurable property of a device measured under closely specified conditions
- connectivity = the property of being connected or the degree to which something has connections
- wave-particle duality / duality = the property of matter and electromagnetic radiation that is characterized by the fact that some properties can be explained best by wave theory and others by particle theory
- genetic endowment / heredity = the total of inherited attributes
- age = how long something has existed
- fashion / manner / style / mode / way = how something is done or how it happens
- physical composition / constitution / composition / make-up / makeup = the way in which someone or something is composed
- consistence / consistency / substance / body = the property of holding together and retaining its shape
- disposition = a natural or acquired habit or characteristic tendency in a person or thing
- tactile property / feel = a property perceived by touch
- optics = optical properties
- visual property = an attribute of vision
- olfactory property / aroma / odour / scent / smell / odor = any property detected by the olfactory system
- sound property = an attribute of sound
- mellowness / fullness / richness = the property of a sensation that is rich and pleasing
- taste property = a property appreciated via the sense of taste
- saltiness = the property of containing salt
- edibleness / edibility = the property of being fit to eat
- bodily property = an attribute of the body
- physical property = any property used to characterize matter and energy and their interactions
- chemical property = a property used to characterize materials in reactions that change their identity
- sustainability = the property of being sustainable
- strength = the property of being physically or mentally strong
- concentration = the strength of a solution
- weakness = the property of lacking physical or mental strength
- temporal property = a property relating to time
- viability = capable of normal growth and development
- spatial property / spatiality = any property relating to or occupying space
- magnitude = the property of relative size or extent
- degree / grade / level = a position on a scale of intensity or amount or quality
- size = the property resulting from being one of a series of graduated measurements
- hydrophobicity = the property of being water-repellent
- analyticity = the property of being analytic
- compositeness = the property of being a composite number
- primality = the property of being a prime number
- selectivity = the property of being selective
- vascularity = the property being vascular
- extension = the ability to raise the working leg high in the air
- solvability / solubility = the property (of a problem or difficulty) that makes it possible to solve
- unsolvability / insolubility = the property (of a problem or difficulty) that makes it impossible to solve
- any area set aside for a particular purpose
- example: the president was concerned about the property across from the White House
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of property: place
- more generic terms: geographic area / geographic region / geographical area / geographical region = a demarcated area of the Earth
- more specific words:
- boatyard = a place where boats are built or maintained or stored
- sanctuary = a consecrated place where sacred objects are kept
- center / centre = a place where some particular activity is concentrated
- colony = a place where a group of people with the same interest or occupation are concentrated
- hatchery = a place where eggs are hatched under artificial conditions
- a construct whereby objects or individuals can be distinguished
- example: self-confidence is not an endearing property
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of property: attribute / dimension
- more generic words: concept / conception / construct = an abstract or general idea inferred or derived from specific instances
- more specific terms:
- character / lineament / quality = a characteristic property that defines the apparent individual nature of something
- characteristic / feature = a prominent attribute or aspect of something
- feature of speech / feature = a distinctive characteristic of a linguistic unit that serves to distinguish it from other units of the same kind
- any movable articles or objects used on the set of a play or movie
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of property: prop
- more generic terms: object / physical object = a tangible and visible entity
- more specific term: custard pie = a prop consisting of an open pie filled with real or artificial custard
- part of: mise en scene / setting / stage setting = arrangement of scenery and properties to represent the place where a play or movie is enacted
Alternative definition of the noun property
- Something that is owned.
- A piece of real estate, such as a parcel of land.
- real estate; the business of selling houses.
- The exclusive right of possessing, enjoying and disposing of a thing.
- synonym: prop
- An attribute or abstract quality associated with an individual, object or concept.
- An attribute or abstract quality which is characteristic of a class of objects.
- [computing] An editable or read-only parameter associated with an application, component or class, or the value of such a parameter.
- [usually, in plural, theater] An object used in a dramatic production
"Property" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Ray Davies
- "Property" is a book by Jesse Dukeminier.
- subjects: Law, United States of America, Property
- "Property" is a 2003 novel by Valerie Martin, and was the winner of the 2003 Orange Prize. In 2012, The Observer named Property as one of "The 10 best historical novels".
- genre: Fiction
- subjects: Louisiana, Slavery
- released in (12 years ago)
- award: - Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction, received by Valerie Martin
- "Property" is a book by Steven L. Emanuel.
- "Property" is a book by Andrew Reeve.
- "Property" is a book by William Clark Trow.
There are many other writings with this title.
"Property" is a 2013 film directed by Jeanne Liotta.
- country: United States of America
- released in
- Property that jointly belongs to more than one party may be possessed or controlled thereby in very similar or very distinct ways, whether simply or complexly, whether equally or unequally. However, there is an expectation that each party's will with regard to the property be clearly defined and unconditional, so as to distinguish ownership and easement from rent.
- also known as Last, 財產權
- Property: A property, in some object-oriented programming languages, is a special sort of class member, intermediate between a field and a method. Properties are read and written like fields, but property reads and writes are translated to get and set method calls. The field-like syntax is said to be easier to read and write than lots of method calls, yet the interposition of method calls allows for data validation, active updating, or read-only 'fields'. That is, properties are intermediate between member code and member data of the class, and properties provide a higher level of encapsulation than public fields.
- Property: the concept type for property descriptors in schemas.
- The property of this path in the case of a path with a single property.
- Property: A geometric property being measured. e.g.
- property: Properties are basic component of the type system; any given type will have several properties. Properties represent the relationships or values associated with an Object.
Phrases with Property
Phrases starting with the word Property:
- Property P
- Property law
- property man
- property tax
- property line
- Property Porn
- property owner
- property right
- Property Ladder
- property master
- Property rights
Phrases ending with the word Property:
- Hot Property
- Lost Property
- real property
- color property
- sound property
- taste property
- bodily property
- church property
View more phrases with the word Property in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Property
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Alison Balter
The following is a list of special properties that refer to objects in the Access Object Model: The ActiveControl property refers to the control that has focus on a screen object, form, or report. The ActiveForm property refers to the form that has ...
by Tim Wescott
The second property is that as the frequency goes towards half the sampling rate, the amount of positive phase shift...
.NET Internationalization (2006)
The Developer's Guide to Building Global Windows and Web Applications by Guy Smith-Ferrier
The RightToLeft property is implemented in the Control class, which is consequently surfaced in all controls, including System.Windows.Forms.Form . The Control.RightToLeft property is a RightToLeft enumeration that has the values No, Yes, ...
by Thomas Gratier, Paul Spencer, Erik Hazzard
IView The view property is an instance of a View class that provides the spatial context for the map. We will discuss views at the end of this chapter. target Element | string | The target property is the HTML element that undefined the map is ...
by Majid Khadduri, Herbert J. Liebesny
Movable property is that which can be transferred from one place to another. Immovable, also called real, property is that which cannot be transported , such as dwellings and land, or which cannot be transferred to another place without ...
Design and Applications by Jian-Xin Xu, Sanjib K. Panda, Tong Heng Lee
The second novel property is that the optimal tuning does not require as much plant-model knowledge as other PID tuning methods. The new tuning method is essentially applicable to any plants that are stabilizable by PID controllers.
The term "service value" as applied to road property means the ledger value thereof less the value of the salvage recovered therefrom. (c) The term "minor item" as applied to road property means the associated parts of which units of road ...
The Idea of Property in Law (1997)
by James E. Penner
Property is a bore. It rarely contributes meaningfully to a conversation. It's an annoying old idea that, given half the chance, will sit down beside you and maunder on about its past glory, its veneration by Locke and Blackstone, or its running ...
by Manolis Wallace, Marios C. Angelides, Phivos Mylonas
The first property is the existence, for a conceptual metaphor, of a source domain and a target domain. In , Fass proposed a classification of the different approaches to metaphor, discriminating between the comparison point of view and the ...
The Communist Manifesto (2005)
A Road Map to History's Most Important Political Document by Karl Marx, Frederick Engels
property is the final and most complete expression of the system of producing and appropriating products that is based on class antagonisms, on the exploitation of the many by the few. In this sense, the theory of the communists may be ...
by Michael Forde, David Leonard
Chapter 25 PRIVATE PROPERTY [25.01] The right to property is the right to own, acquire, use and dispose of land, chattels and other things that have an economic value. How extensive such a right is varies greatly from country to country; ...
Mathematics and Its History (2010)
by John Stillwell
The common algebraic property is that of being a field, and it is captured by nine laws governing addition and...
The common geometric property is the existence of an absolute value, |u|, which measures the distance of u from O and is ...
Basic techniques for creatives by Andrew Rapo, Alex Michael
The soundList property is an Object that holds the list of all the AudioController's sounds. This could have been implemented as an...
by Swami Parmeshwaranand
N The Nauya-Nyaya school The old school of Logic did not concern itself with Property so far as is known. It was assumed to be a guna of a thing: it was a characteristic of a thing that it was fit to be employed at pleasure (or at will) by a person ...
An Encyclopedia of Modern Money Management by Barbara Friedberg
Pure risks comprise personal risk, property...
The Patent Law Dictionary (2013)
United States Domestic Patent Law Terms & International Patent Law Terms by Rachel Gader-Shafran, Rachel Gader-Shafran Ma Jd
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY such process patent. In an action for infringement of a process patent, no remedy ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Property
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Property
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Eva Rinaldi Celebrity and Live Music Photographer
Photo credit: dulk
Photo credit: kynd_draw
Roppongi Hills, Tokyo Japan
Photo credit: OiMax
Photo credit: BG³Photo
- Munger Property
very obscure Portland city park
Photo credit: brx0
- Waterfront property.
via Instagram ift.tt/2Hropgt
Photo credit: ryan.merkley
- Checking the Property Prices
Photo credit: foilman
- Habitat property: Stony Point Rd Crib Point
Photo credit: Toni Brient
- Munger Property, West Hills
Ultra-obscure Portland city park in the West Hills, covering parts of the hillside above US 26.
Ultra-obscure Portland city park in the West Hills, covering parts of the hillside above US 26.
Photo credit: brx0
- City Property
Photo credit: byzantiumbooks
- Property limit
Photo credit: Lars Plougmann
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Property
Click on an item to play that video:
- ANSYS Hyperelastic Example with Material Property Definition
This is an example two step problem with ANSYS Mechanical using hyperelastic materials. The seal has initial interference and the Mooney-Rivlin material ...
- Property Meaning
Video shows what property means. Something that is owned.. A piece of real estate, such as a parcel of land.. Real estate; the business of selling houses..
- Training On Balanced cantilever Bridge - Session 1- Intro, Property Definition & Modeling
1. Intro, Property Definition & Modeling.
- Distributive Property - Meaning
What does the distributive property mean?
- Negative Gearing Explained - An Explanation of Negative Geared Property
Negative Gearing Explained -...
- Definition of Property & Casualty Insurance : Property Insurance
- Archimedean property Meaning
Video shows what Archimedean property means. The property of the set of real numbers, that for any real number there is always a natural number greater than ...
- What's New in AutoCAD MEP 2014: Automatically Attach Property Set Definition
This video describes the new feature added to AutoCAD MEP 2014 that lets you automatically attach Property Set Definitions to all relevant objects in a drawing.
- Characteristic property definition
A quick definition of characteristic properties of matter with a couple of examples.
- Property P Meaning
Video shows what Property P means. That no nontrivial Dehn surgery along k in the 3-sphere yields a simply connected manifold.. Property P Meaning. How to ...
- Definition of Property Insurance Coverage : Property Insurance
- Entropy, Statistical Definition, Thermodynamic Property for chemical reaction
Predict entropy change from a chemical reaction or formula comparison. Look at the Statistical Definition (Boltzmann) and the molecular interpretation of entropy.
- Property tax Meaning
Video shows what property tax means. An (usually) ad valorem tax charged on the basis of the fair market value of property. The scope of taxable property varies ...
- Maths By Amiya: Circle Definition Property Application
Definition & Basic concepts of Circle in A Question There are four points A, B , C & D are in a plane such that AB=BC=CA=DA, If Line AD intersect Line BC at E ...
- Abandoned property Meaning
Video shows what abandoned property means. Property that is found in such a state as to make it likely that the original owner has intentionally given up all ...
- Quadrilateral property and definition project
- Definition of Liability for Property Damage in Insurance : Property Insurance
- Distributive Property Explanation and examples
- Physical change definition, extensive property and intensive property
By Aaryan Kothapalli, Yujeena Khadka and Anna Sim.
- FxStudio - Component Definition Editing - Property editor - AristenFx
- Writing a Property Description that Sells
Powerful descriptions for MLS listings are one of the first tools real estate pros use to draw potential buyers to an in-person visit of their properties. This week ...
- How to Write a Property Description - Real Estate
- Property description of Wisconsin farm and South Carolina Homes
You can view the 5 listing's of the property's for sale in Wisconsin and South Carolina. You will want to take advantage of this rare opportunity See photo's above.
- Enquiry by Property Description
This tutorial shows you how to make an Enquiry by Property Description.
- How to Brand Your KWLS first Photo & Property Description
Team Leader Ben Fairfield shares a collection of tutorial videos by Lori Ballen and Calvin Mergen of Keller Williams walking the user through uploading a ...
- Tips For Writing Your Property Description - Mouse House Online Estate Agents
Tips on writing your property description. Mouse House are the UK's leading online estate agents. They offer the cheapest and fastest way to sell your home.
- Stakes and Property Description
This is from the cleared area at the cabin site. It describes the locations of the stakes as well as how to get up on top of the property.
- Minister's property description
- Minister's still have not shown their property description
- Government employee's property description
View more videos about Property law, Lost Property, Real property, Mislaid Property, Private Property, Chemical property, Personal property, Qualified Property, Universal property, Commutative Property, and Intellectual property.
See also the pronunciation examples of Property!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ocean front property Sign Language
- Properties of Logarithms: Quotient Property (American Sign Language)
- Properties of Logarithms: Power Property (American Sign Language)
- Properties of Logarithms: Root Property (American Sign Language)
Math tutoring in ASL.
- Properties of Logarithms: Product Property (American Sign Language)
Quotes about Property
Scrabble value of P3R1O1P3E1R1T1Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Property to see it in context!