The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun peace and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun peace
- Other definitions of peace
- Phrases with Peace
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Peace
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Peace
- Photos about Peace
- Video language resources about Peace
- Sign language
- Quotes about Peace
- Scrabble value of P3E1A1C3E1
- Share this page
The word peace is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun peace
What does peace mean as a name of something?
Peace is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: peaces
- the state prevailing during the absence of war
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- antonym: war
- more generic word: order = established customary state
- more specific terms:
- amity = a state of friendship and cordiality
- cease-fire / armistice / truce = a state of peace agreed to between opponents so they can discuss peace terms
- conciliation = the state of manifesting goodwill and cooperation after being reconciled
- collective security = a system for international peace
- Pax Romana = the Roman peace
- harmonious relations; freedom from disputes
- the absence of mental stress or anxiety
- the general security of public places
- a treaty to cease hostilities
- example: peace came on November 11th
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of peace: pacification / peace treaty
- more generic words: accord / pact / treaty = a written agreement between two states or sovereigns
Alternative definition of the noun peace
- A state of tranquility, quiet, and harmony, e.g., a state free from civil disturbance.
- A state free of oppressive and unpleasant thoughts and emotions.
- antonym: war
- Harmony in personal relations.
- A state free of war, in particular war between different countries.
Other definitions of peace
What does peace also mean?
- [slang] Shortened form of peace out; goodbye.
- [archaic] Shut up, be quiet, be silent
- Peace are an English indie rock quartet, formed in Worcester. The band consists of brothers Harry and Samuel Koisser, Douglas Castle and Dominic Boyce. The band began to receive critical acclaim in early 2012 from publications such as The Guardian and NME, who compared them to The Maccabees, Foals, Wu Lyf and Vampire Weekend.
- genres: Indie rock, B-Town, Alternative rock
- albums: "EP Delicious", "Wraith", "In Love", "Money"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to NME Award for Best New Band
- nominated to NME Award for Best Album - "In Love"
- nominated to NME Award for Best Fan Community
- official website: www.peaceforeverever.co.uk
- Peace is a musical group.
- albums: "Slow Children", "My Face"
There are other groups with in their name, like At Peace, Free Peace, Peace Choir, Bitter Peace, Love & Peace, Peace & Love, Peace Corpse, Dogs of Peace, Peace & Quiet, Peace of Mind, Disaster Peace, Love and Peace, Our Lady Peace, Peace and Love, Peace Brothers, Peace Division, Peace Mercutio, Peace Together, Atoms for Peace and Five Peace Band.
- Peace: Mtulazaji Davis, better known by his stage name Peace is a rapper from Los Angeles, California. He is a member of Freestyle Fellowship along with Aceyalone, Myka 9 and Self Jupiter. He has released two solo albums.
- Peace a.k.a. Naoki Matayoshi is a Japanese comedian and actor.
- read more about Naoki Matayoshi (comedian)
- "Peace" is Depeche Mode's second single from their studio album, Sounds of the Universe, and their 47th UK single overall. It was released on 15 June 2009. Martin Gore told The Sun newspaper that he thought "Peace" is one of his favourite songs that he has ever written. He explained that both "Peace" and "Little Soul", "give the album a kind of thread. Both of those songs have a real spiritual feel, though we have to be really careful using that word.
- also known as Peace (demo)
- music by Martin Gore
- "Peace" is the eighth and final studio album by the British band Eurythmics, released in October 1999. It was the band's first album of new material in ten years, following 1989's We Too Are One.
- "Peace" is the debut album of stoner rock band Vista Chino. Featuring three former members of Kyuss, Brant Bjork, Nick Oliveri and John Garcia, along with new guitarist, Bruno Fevery, who was born in Belgium and spent his youth in a Kyuss cover band. Originally known as Kyuss Lives!, but a lawsuit by former member Josh Homme forced the band to change its name before releasing this album.
- released on
- "Peace" is a studio album by London-based boy choir Libera, which was released in March 2010 by record label EMI Classics.
- "Peace" a.k.a. "The Peace!" is the twelfth single of J-pop idol group Morning Musume and was released July 25, 2001. It sold a total of 682,320 copies and reached number one on the Oricon Charts. This song is also a personal favorite of ex-Morning Musume member, Rika Ishikawa, as the monologue spoken by her towards the end of the song became one of her favorite moments of being in Morning Musume.
- also known as Peace!
- music and lyrics by Tsunku
- "Peace" is the debut album by Anything Box, released in 1990 on Epic. The album played a significant role in the resurrection of American synthpop/electronic in the late 1980s and early 1990s. With catchy synth-driven hooks and sing-along vocals, the album contains many of the band's most popular songs to date. The album spawned three singles, most notably "Living In Oblivion", which is Anything Box's highest charting song to date. The album, often considered an essential "classic" in the synthpop community still remains in print.
- "Peace" was the once unreleased third album by The Cult. Upon completion of the album the band was unhappy with the sound, and began recording what would become their next release, Electric, which featured new versions of several Peace songs. Although a few of the original versions were released on singles and EP's, the full Peace album was not released in its entirety until 2000, when it was included as Disc 3 of the Rare Cult boxed set.
- "Peace" is a musical single of Saints & Sinners.
- also known as Peace (disc 2)
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Peace" is the second studio album by German electronica act York. The album is a mixture of trance, pop and Chill-Out. Even though York is commonly known for their trance and House tracks, this time the two brothers have changed their path. With Peace they are focusing more on downtempo productions, in order to describe and catch the atmosphere of their home island Ibiza. CD two features completely new remixes by renowned producers that represent the state of the art in the field of dance music; remixes by producers such as Roger Shah, Aly & Fila and Airwave.
- "Peace" is a 1991 single released by Sabrina Johnston, reaching number eight in the UK Singles Chart.
- "Peace" is a composition.
- "Peace" is an award-nominated musical album of Jim Brickman.
- "Peace" is a musical album of Walt Dickerson.
- released in (39 years ago)
- "Peace" is the 2009 single album by Depeche Mode.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "peace" is a musical album of Hitomi.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Peace" a.k.a. "Peace!" is a 1997 single studio album by SMAP.
- released on (17 years ago)
- "Peace" is a 1994 album by Let 3.
- released in (21 years ago)
- "Peace" a.k.a. "Peace?" is a single from the hardcore punk band The Dicks released in 1984.
- "Peace" is a musical album of Chet Baker.
- released in (33 years ago)
- "Peace" a.k.a. "PEACE!" is a musical single of Dreams Come True.
- released on (18 years ago)
- "Peace" a.k.a. "Eirēnē tou Aristophanē" is a book by Aristophanes.
- "Peace" is an early novel by Gene Wolfe that on its surface is the story of a man growing up in a small Midwestern town in the early to mid-20th century. The narrator, Alden Dennis Weer, goes over memories from different parts of his life—his childhood, early adulthood, middle age, old age. Unlike many of Wolfe's most well-known works, it is a stand-alone novel rather than part of a series, and at least ostensibly takes place in a realistic, present-day world instead of a fantastic setting.
- "Peace" is a book by David Cortright.
- subjects: Spirituality, Religion, New Age, International relations
- "Peace" is a play by Tim Reynolds.
- "Peace" a.k.a. "Shanti" is a film in the Kannada language directed by renowned Kannada writer and director Baraguru Ramachandrappa. The film features only a single actor and hence has found an entry in the Guinness World Records in the category Fewest actors in a narrative film. Bhavana is the only actress in this film and there are no other actors.
- read more about Shanti
- "Peace" a.k.a. "The Calm" is a 1980 Polish television drama film directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski and starring Jerzy Stuhr, Izabella Olszewska, and Jerzy Trela. Based on a story by Lech Borski and a screenplay by Kieślowski and Jerzy Stuhr, the film is about a young man who leaves prison after a three-year sentence seeking to start a new life. His dreams of a better life are broken, however, when he is forced into a conflict between a corrupt construction company boss and his fellow workers who go on strike. The Calm was filmed on location in Kraków and completed in 1976, but was banned by the state because of its subject matter—strikes were illegal in Poland during that time. The film was finally shown on Polish television for the first time on 19 September 1980. In 1981, The Calm received the Polish Film Festival Special Jury Prize.
- read more about The Calm
Peace cigarettes are produced exclusively in Japan by Japan Tobacco. Peace's Package logo was designed by Raymond Loewy in 1952.
- Peace is an occurrence of harmony characterized by lack of violence, conflict behaviors and the freedom from fear of violence. Commonly understood as the absence of hostility and retribution, peace also suggests sincere attempts at reconciliation, the existence of healthy or newly healed interpersonal or international relationships, prosperity in matters of social or economic welfare, the establishment of equality, and a working political order that serves the true interests of all.
- Peace is a 1969 theater production of the play by Tim Reynolds.
Phrases with Peace
Phrases starting with the word Peace:
- Peace Out
- Peace bond
- peace lily
- peace pipe
- Peace Sign
- peace corps
- peace march
- peace treaty
- peace of mind
- peace officer
- peace process
Phrases ending with the word Peace:
Other phrase containing the word Peace:
View more phrases with the word Peace in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Peace
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Fruit of the Spirit (2009)
Living the Supernatural Life by Bill Hybels, Kevin & Sherry Harney
Peace means the end of hostilities.” We all have a...
P1 peace is the end (or absence) of hostility, conflict, and fighting. In the world, we...
Handbook on Peace Education (2011)
by Gavriel Salomon, Ed Cairns, Research Coordinator Ed Cairns, Professor
Rather peace is an illusion, a period between wars when groups are actually preparing for the next war. Certainly, this fits in...
Peace, pēs, n. a state of quiet: freedom from disturbance: freedom from war: friendliness: calm: rest: harmony: silence.—interj. silence:be silent:hist! —adj.Peace′able, disposed to peace: free fromwaror disturbance:quiet: tranquil ...
by Nigel Ashford, Stephen Davies
Peace is not simply the absence of war but a positive condition, a state of affairs in which war is impossible. This necessarily implies that war is not an inevitable part of the human condition but has specific causes the removal of which ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Peace
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Peace
Click on an item to view that photo:
St Nicholas Church, Ash, Kent, UK
Photo credit: Kate#2112
Photo credit: eddiecoyote
Nova Friburgo - RJ
Photo credit: marcusrg - If you fav, please, be kind and comment
Photo credit: allisonavenue
Photo credit: Melissa O'Donohue
SD15 with 50/1.4a ISO100 f/2.0 1/6sec
Photo credit: halfrain
Photo credit: franklinzen
Peace on the lake
Photo credit: kevin dooley
Photo credit: Berto Garcia
Photo credit: quinn.anya
this is old
Photo credit: chellseeyy
Photo credit: AmandaLouise
Photo credit: @boetter
Photo credit: rightee
- Abstract Peace
Photo credit: -Jeffrey-
- Visit Peace
Photo credit: Sarah Leo
View On Black
Photo credit: KTIQS.LCV
- Peace Gardens
North Dakota and Canada
Photo credit: abbamouse
- Peace blanket
Photo credit: butterflygirl128
Photo credit: Caitlinator
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Peace
Click on an item to play that video:
- Finding Peace And Meaning In Death And Bereavement with Dr. Lani Leary
- Real Meaning of Peace - Abdur Raheem Green
Peace Speakers, AbdurRaheem Green, The Real Meaning of Peace Abdurraheem Green embraced Islam over 20 years ago and since that time has been ...
- The Meaning of Peace CM
Collaboration BoA with Koda Kumi [2001.12.19]
- Heidi Baker Voice Of The Apostles :Jesus the full meaning of peace
Heidi Baker Voice Of The Apostles Jesus the full meaning of peace.
- A new definition of peace: Margarita Quihuis at TEDxBayArea
A social entrepreneur and mentor capitalist, Margarita Quihuis's career has focused on innovation, technology incubation, access to capital and ...
- Peace Meaning
Video shows what peace means. A state of tranquility, quiet, and harmony; absence of violence. For instance, a state free from civil disturbance.. A state free of ...
- The meaning of peace
The meaning of peace.
- Peace, Meaning, and Emotional Intelligence
- Religion of Peace meaning and pronunciation
A reference to George W. Bush's famous post-9/11 declaration that Islam is a "religion of peace". ROP is generally used as a substitute for the word "Islam", ...
- Ed Esko on Whole Grains vs Animal Flesh | The Meaning of Peace | Macrobiotic Perspective
Ed's full talk: Pt 1...
- GAYATRI MANTRA WITH MEANING ( FOR PEACE, HAPPINESS & MEDITATION)
- THE REAL MEANING OF PEACE www wayofliving org
THE REAL MEANING OF PEACE - a Way Of Living presentation The real meaning of peace - If you think it's too difficult to be at peace in the hurried pace of life, ...
- A Definition Of A Muslim Given To Us By Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him - Dr Tahir ul Qadri
Islam and Peace by Dr. Tahir Ul Qadri @ USA - 14 April 2012...
- Peace Hill Press Question & Answer Series 5: Vocabulary
Ever wonder if your child should stop to look up every vocabulary word as they are reading? See what Susan thinks about it.
- Ken Navarro "Language of Peace"
Ken Navarro's "Language of Peace" is from the album "The Meeting Place". Released 2006.
- LANGUAGE POWER FOR PEACE
LANGUAGE POWER FOR PEACE - Department of Defense 1978 - PIN 69022 - GIVES HIGHLIGHTS OF THE INTENSIFIED LANGUAGE TRAINING PROGRAM ...
- LANGUAGE POWER FOR PEACE
LANGUAGE POWER FOR PEACE - Department of Defense 1970 - PIN 30257 - DOCUMENTS THE IMAGINATIVE APPROACHES USED BY THE DEFENSE ...
- A Detailed, Physical Description of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
Detailed Physical Description of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) An extract taken from 'The Mantle of Prophecy' class, taught by Shaykh Ibrahim Osi ...
- The Physical Description of Prophet Muhammad(Peace be upon him) by Shaikh Habib Ali al Jifri
- Film "Colours of Peace" in the Abkhaz language
- Cities Skylines 36 - Language of Peace
Cities: Skylines is a modern take on the classic city simulation. The game introduces new game play elements to realize the thrill and hardships of creating and ...
- Peace language / Esperanzo
- The language of peace
The foundation Wings of Hope invites young people from Israel, Palestine, Bosnia-Herzegowina and Germany to work at reconciliation and at persectives for a ...
- Peace of the Pi- Numbers and Geometry as Universal Language
Deciding what is revelation, and what is delusion, requires a deep knowledge of the Self, as well as a rounded view of others and life in general. When an idea ...
- "Peace Be Upon Us" | The Harmony Band | International - 12 Language | New Madih 2014
"Peace Be Upon Us" | The Harmony Band | International - 12 Language | New 2014.
- A Story fo Peace and World in English Language (New Edition)
This is an interesting story of an elephant named 'World' and his five friends Peace, Love, Compassion, Kindness and Healing. See how these five friends ...
- Ecumenical Christian Prayer - Peace is the Future 2014 - (original language) - Sant'Egidio
The Ecumenical Christian Prayer during the international meeting "Peace is the Future: Religions and Cultures in dialogue 100 years after WWI". Antwerpen ...
- The Description Of Prophet's Hair (Peace Be Upon Him) - Moutasem Atiya
The Beauty of Muhammad, peace be upon him, series with Shaykh Hassan Lachheb and Ustadh Moutasem Atiya. Free Series -...
See also the pronunciation examples of Peace!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sign language peace phrase
- Let There Be Peace On Earth in Sign Language
This video was created to assist members of Singing Hands, a non profit, volunteer group of signers who perform for businesses, nursing homes, religious ...
- "Let There Be Peace" in ASL (sign language) - a cappella
The River Oaks Chorus sings "Let There Be Peace on Earth" a cappella as it's performed in sign language.
- Dr. and Master Sha: Love Peace Harmony in American Sign Language
- Peace in Sign Language (Serenity Prayer)
Quotes about Peace
Peace to you
Peace to All
May God Gives us the peace
Every peace is in me
May my days fill with peaceful day
May The day be peaceful
Peace Be With Me
Peace Be With You
Peace Be with everyone
Peace to All (Lawrence Hiung)
more quotes about peace...
Scrabble value of P3E1A1C3E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Peace to see it in context!