On this page:
Definition of the noun passe-partout
What does passe-partout mean as a name of something?
- key that secures entrance everywhere
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of passe-partout: master / master key / passkey
- more generic word: key = metal device shaped in such a way that when it is inserted into the appropriate lock the lock's mechanism can be rotated
- more specific term: skeleton key = a passkey with much of the bit filed away so that it can open different locks
- a mounting for a picture using gummed tape
Passe-Partout is a fictional character from the 1990 tv program Fort Boyard.
- Passe-Partout was a Quebec French language children's television program produced by Radio-Québec that was in production from 1977 to 1987. It aired on Radio-Québec as well as on Radio-Canada for thirty minutes, lasting on some networks until 1998. It incorporated both live actors and puppets although neither group interacted with the other.
- begun in (38 years ago)
- country: Canada
- genre: Children's television series
- Passe-Partout is the French term for a mat, a paper or, more usually, cardboard sheet with a cutout, which is placed under the glass in a picture frame. A picture is placed beneath it, with the cutout framing it. The passe-partout serves two purposes: first, to prevent the image from touching the glass, and second, to frame the image and enhance its visual appeal. The cutout in the passe-partout is usually beveled to avoid casting shadows on the picture. The word may also be used for the tape used to stick the back of the picture to its frame. The term "mount" is used in British English.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Passe-Partout
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Lawrence Briggs, Daphne Philpot, Judy Somerville
Passe-partout is a new French course for middle to lower-ability students, with extension material for the more able. Stage 3 of Passepartout can be used to follow on from Stages 1 and 2 of Passepartout, or as a stand-alone third-year course, ...
by G. Manoilov, B. Radichkova
key d Hauptschlüssel m f passe-partout m r общий ...
by Martin H. Manser
passe-partout adhesive tape used in picture-framing; master-key passerine (bird that is one of a group) of perching songbirds passim (Latin) here and there; throughtout passion deep feeling, esp. love passionate passionately ...
Tardy's Explanatory Pronuncing Dictionary ... A new edition corrected and much enlarged, by J. C. Tarver (1847)
by TARDY (Lexicographer.)
pâcë-man-tïé, tièrë, lace-maker, mercer Passe-partout, m. pâcë-par-ton, а master -hey Passe»pied, m. pâcë-pïé, a sort of jig [lace Passe-poil, m. pâcë-poèl, a chain ...
by B. A. Phythian
passe-partout [Fr.] Master-key. Picture-frame (usually for photograph) consisting of glass and backing held together by adhesive tape around edges.
by Clive Upton, William A. Kretzschmar, Jr.
-Z AM 'paeSndsor, -Z passe-partout BR 'pas pd.tu:, pas pd.
Giving the Derivation, Source, Or Origin of Common Phrases, Allusions, and Words that Have a Tale to Tell by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
Passe-partout. A sort of picture- frame. The middle is cut out to the size of the picture, and the border or edge is embossed, so as to present a raised margin. The passe-partout and picture, being backed and faced with a glass, are held together ...
by John Hannavy
The inside of the case-lids were protected by embossed velvet, while daguerreotypes themselves were protected by decoratively tailored distance pieces like passe-partout made of copper or other material, cover glasses, airtight adhesive ...
Adeline's Art Dictionary (1891)
Containing a Complete Index of All Terms Used in Art, Architecture, Heraldry, and Archæology by Jules Adeline
Passe-partout. (Engrav.) A passepartout is an engraving either in relief or line ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Passe-Partout
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Passe-Partout
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Passe-Partout
Video shows what passe-partout means. That by which one can pass anywhere, a safe-conduct.. A master key, a latchkey.. A light picture frame or mat of ...
Quotes about Passe-Partout
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'passe-partout"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Passe-Partout to find many related words and phrases!