On this page:
- Definition of the noun oink
- Definition of the verb oink
- Other definitions of oink
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Oink
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Oink
- Photos about Oink
- Video language resources about Oink
- Quotes about Oink
- Scrabble value of O1I1N1K5
- Anagrams of OINK
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun oink
What does oink mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: oinks
- the short low gruff noise of the kind made by hogs
Alternative definition of the noun oink
- The sound made by a pig, or an imitation thereof.
- synonym: grunt
Definition of the verb oink
What does oink mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: oinked | oinking | oinks
- utter a high-pitched cry, characteristic of pigs
- example: The animals oink
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - animal] [Verb] The dog barked [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Location] Birds sang in the trees [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Recipient] [Adjective] The rooster crowed everyone awake [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Theme] The dog barked a warning [Agent - animal] [Verb] at [Cause] The dog barked at the commotion [Agent - animal] [Verb] at / to / towards / for [Recipient] The dog barked at the cat [Location] [Verb] with [Agent] The tree sang with birds
Verbs of Sounds Made by Animals (with the same syntax): baa, bark, bay, bellow, blat, bleat, boom, bray, buzz, cackle, call, caw, chatter, cheep, chirp, chirrup, chitter, cluck, coo, croak, crow, cuckoo, drone, gobble, groan, growl, grunt, hee-haw, hiss, honk, hoot, howl, low, meow, mew, moan, moo, neigh, peep, pipe, purr, quack, rattle, roar, rumble, screech, snarl, squawk, squeak, squeal, stridulate, thunder, trill, trumpet, tweet, twitter, ululate, wail, warble, wheeze, whimper, whine, whinny, whistle, woof, yap, yell, yelp, yip, yowl.
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of oink: squeal
- more generic terms: emit / let loose / let out / utter = express audibly
Alternative definition of the verb oink
- [intransitive] Of a pig or in imitation thereof, to make its characteristic sound.
- synonym: grunt
Other definitions of oink
What does oink also mean?
- Representing the sound made by a pig.
- Drawing attention to male chauvinism (from the term male chauvinist pig).
"Oink" a.k.a. "Oink!" is a video game produced and published by Activision and released in 1982 for the Atari 2600 video game system. Designed by Mike Lorenzen, Oink! is inspired by the fairy tale "The Three Little Pigs" and casts the player as a pig defending his home from a wolf bent on destroying it.
- mode: Multiplayer video game, Single-player video game
- publisher: Activision
- released on (32 years ago)
- "Oink" is a 1995 short film directed by Rand Ravich, who later directed The Astronaut's Wife. Oink premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 1995.
- "Oink" a.k.a. "Oink!" is a film, directed by Frank Parker.
"Oink" is a book by Roger Hargreaves.
- "Oink" is a musical EP of C156.
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Oink" is a musical album of Hog Hoggidy Hog.
- "Oink" is a composition.
- music by Bernard Badie
- Oink a.k.a. Oink! was a British comic for children which was published from 3 May 1986 to 22 October 1988. It set out to be deliberately anarchic, reminiscent of Viz but for children. The creators also cited Mad magazine as a major influence.
- Oink is a payment enabler that allows children to safely make purchases online or in-store while keeping parents in control of all aspects of spending. The technology is COPPA-compliant, PCI DSS Level 1 compliant and TRUSTe certified. The company has been featured in many articles as the first company to digitize a teen's monthly allowance. Forbes referred to the service as "PayPal for Kids".
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Oink
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Alenka Zajić
Oink is the nth angle of arrival in ...
by John Zheng
The word oink is a pun that means both the noise coming from the mouth of a policeman and the noise made by a pig. The metaphor of the policeman as a pig through the repetition of the onomatopoeic word creates a mixed feeling of angst ...
Our Black Year (2013)
One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy by Maggie Anderson
Moo & Oink is a Chicago-based, White-owned chain of stores selling low-quality, high-priced meats. Due to its famous ads— with Black voiceovers and Black singers, airing only on Black-themed (but not Black-owned) radio stations—and the ...
Pig Pens (2010)
by Pam Scheunemann
Hogsley loves math, Oink is a science whiz, and history is hog-heaven for Sooey. Pigs can get bored. To keep from getting ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
81, 1996 oink...
87, 1970 oink ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
UK, 1932 oink noun a police officer.
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
chop Pigpen—sty Pig's foot/paw—trotter Pig's noise—oink Pigeon—dove Pigeon shelter—cote Pigeon target—clay Pigeon's sound—coo Piggery—sty Piggish—porcine, prissy Piggish noise/sound—oink Piglet newly weaned—shoat , shote ...
Ponapean-English Dictionary (1979)
by Kenneth L. Rehg, Damian G. Sohl
oink to oink, to grunt, of 198 newspaper English-Ponapean.
by Thomas E. Zurinskas
~oezoenisffeerikool - ozonospherical ~oezzoenik - ozonic ~oezzoenisfeer - ozonosphere ~oil - oil ~oilee'er - oilier ~oilee'ist - oiliest ~oileeyer - oilier ~ oileeyist - oiliest ~oiler - oiler ~oilkan - oilcan ~oilklauthh - oilcloth ~oilskin - oilskin ~oink ...
Sleeping with the Dictionary (2002)
by Harryette Mullen
Oh-oh, oink oink. Pago Pago, Palau Palau, papa, pawpaw, peepee, Phen ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Oink
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Oink
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: luca.sartoni
Photo credit: Tirch
Photo credit: zappowbang
Photo credit: MatHampson
Photo credit: Su--May
Near Cusco, Peru
Photo credit: nblumhardt
Photo credit: Craighton Miller
Photo credit: nerissa's ring
Snapped while stopped at a signal light in Hillsboro, Oregon.
Photo credit: born1945
Photo credit: morebyless
Photo credit: Kien Wai
Photo credit: dehoyel
Photo credit: AngelaRosati
Photo credit: gagilas
Cabin on the Hill
Photo credit: bluebike
Product of another Rapidough session. :)
Photo credit: goosmurf
Photo credit: eflon
Photo credit: ceonyc
Photo credit: tophermurphy
Photo credit: Grempz
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Oink
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Oink!
Quotes about Oink
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'oink"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of O1I1N1K5
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of OINK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Oink!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Oink to see it in context!