The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun occurrent:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun occurrent
- Definition of the adjective occurrent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Occurrent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Occurrent
- Video about Occurrent
- Quotes about Occurrent
- Scrabble value of O1C3C3U1R1R1E1N1T1
- Anagrams of OCCURRENT
- Share this page
Definition of the noun occurrent
What does occurrent mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: occurrents
- an event that happens
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of occurrent: happening / natural event / occurrence
- more generic word: event = something that happens at a given place and time
- more specific terms:
- accompaniment / co-occurrence / concomitant / attendant = an event or situation that happens at the same time as or in connection with another
- avalanche = a sudden appearance of an overwhelming number of things
- experience = an event as apprehended
- trouble = an event causing distress or pain
- treat = an occurrence that causes special pleasure or delight
- miracle = any amazing or wonderful occurrence
- marvel / wonder = something that causes feelings of wonder
- thing = an event
- episode = a happening that is distinctive in a series of related events
- contingence / contingency / eventuality = a possible event or occurrence or result
- beginning = the event consisting of the start of something
- conclusion / ending / finish = event whose occurrence ends something
- one-off = a happening that occurs only once and is not repeated
- recurrent event / periodic event = an event that recurs at intervals
- modification / alteration / change = an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another
- computer error / error = the occurrence of an incorrect result produced by a computer
- chance event / accident / fortuity / stroke = anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause
- fire = the event of something burning
- incident = a single distinct event
- discharge = the sudden giving off of energy
- instance / example / case = an occurrence of something
- movement / motion = a natural event that involves a change in the position or location of something
- failure = an event that does not accomplish its intended purpose
- success = an event that accomplishes its intended purpose
- appearance = the event of coming into sight
- destiny / fate = an event (or a course of events) that will inevitably happen in the future
- disappearance = the event of passing out of sight
- disappearance = ceasing to exist
- impinging / striking / contact = the physical coming together of two or more things
- finish = designated event that concludes a contest
- collapse = a natural event caused by something suddenly falling down or caving in
- interruption / break = some abrupt occurrence that interrupts an ongoing activity
- sound = the sudden occurrence of an audible event
- union = the occurrence of a uniting of separate parts
- news event = a newsworthy event
- flash = a sudden intense burst of radiant energy
- convergence = the occurrence of two or more things coming together
- juncture / occasion = an event that occurs at a critical time
- flare-up / outburst / burst = a sudden intense happening
- irruption / eruption / outbreak = a sudden violent spontaneous occurrence
- black eye / reversal / reverse / setback / blow = an unfortunate happening that hinders or impedes
- manna from heaven / gold rush / windfall / bonanza / godsend / bunce / gravy / boom = a sudden happening that brings good fortune
- collapse / crash = a sudden large decline of business or the prices of stocks
- supervention = a following on in addition
Definition of the adjective occurrent
What does occurrent mean as an attribute of a noun?
- presently occurring (either causally or incidentally)
- example: technical terms are rarely occurrent in literature
- similar: current
Alternative definition of the adjective occurrent
- Current, actual, occurring.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Occurrent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Including ... I. An Explanation of Difficult Words and Technical Terms ... II. A Pronouncing Dictionary ... : to the Whole is Added a Chronological Series of Remarkable Events ... by James Barclay (Curate of Edmonton.)
occuRRENT, s. [occurrent, Lat.] any * event or thing that happens. - occu'RSsoN, s. [occurso, Lat.] a clash, hurt or blow, by the meeting of two bodies to ...
by Thomas Sheridan
OCCURRENT, Ök-kür'-rént. s. Incident, any thing that happens. OCCURSION,5k- kür'-shūn. s. Clash, mutual blow. OCEAN, Ö'-shūn. s. The main, the great sea; any immense expanse. OCEAN, Ö'-shūn. a. Pertaining to the main or great sea.
One Main Object of Which, Is, to Establish a Plain and Permanent Standard Pronunciation. : To which is Prefixed a Rhetorical Grammar by Thomas Sheridan
OCCURRENT, ök-kůr'-rént. f. any thing that happens. OCCURSION, Ök-kủr-fhủn. f. Clash, mutual blow. OCEAN, ở'-fhủn. f. The main, the great fea; any immenfe expanfe. - OCEAN, ỗ'-fhủn. a. or great fea. OCEANICK, ỗ-sễ-ản'-ik. a. Pertaining ...
by V&S EDITORIAL BOARD
Occurrent – (adjective) actually occurring or observable. The long words are quiet occurrent in this article. Ocean – (noun) a very large expanse of sea; in particular, each of the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, and Antarctic oceans. [ chiefly north ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Occurrent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Occurrent
Video shows what occurrent means. Current, actual, occurring.. Occurrent Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say occurrent.
Quotes about Occurrent
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'occurrent"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of O1C3C3U1R1R1E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of OCCURRENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Occurrent!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Occurrent to find many related words and phrases!