The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective neat:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective neat
- Definition of the noun neat
- Phrases with Neat
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Neat
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Neat
- Photos about Neat
- Video language resources about Neat
- Sign language
- Quotes about Neat
- Scrabble value of N1E1A1T1
- Anagrams of NEAT
- Share this page
The word neat is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective neat
What does neat mean as an attribute of a noun?
Neat is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: neater | neatest
- clean or organized
- showing care in execution
- examples: neat homework | neat handwriting
- similar: tidy
- free from clumsiness; precisely or deftly executed
- superficially impressive, but lacking depth and attention to the true complexities of a subject
- very good
- (of an alcoholic drink) without water
Alternative definition of the adjective neat
- Clean, tidy; free from dirt or impurities.
- Free from contaminants; unadulterated, undiluted. Particularly of liquor and cocktails; see usage below.
- [chemistry] Conditions with a liquid reagent or gas performed with no standard solvent or cosolvent
- [archaic] With all deductions or allowances made; net.
- Having a simple elegance or style; clean, trim, tidy, tasteful.
- Well-executed or delivered; clever, skilful, precise.
- [colloquial] Good, excellent, desirable.
Definition of the noun neat
What does neat mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: neat
- [archaic] A bull or cow (singular of cattle)
- (collective) Cattle.
- "NEAT" is a composition.
- "Neat" a.k.a. "Neat!" is a musical album of The Jameson Sisters.
- released in (5 years ago)
- NEAT a.k.a. Near-Earth Asteroid Tracking was a program run by NASA and Jet Propulsion Laboratory to discover near-Earth objects. The NEAT project began in December 1995 and ran until April 2007.
- read more about Near-Earth Asteroid Tracking
- Neat is a Canadian television series, which aired on HGTV in Canada and Discovery Home in the United States. Hosted by professional organizer Hellen Buttigieg, Neat is a home improvement series in which Buttigieg helps a person with cluttered living spaces devise solutions to help organize their lives and possessions more effectively.
Phrases with Neat
Phrases starting with the word Neat:
Phrases ending with the word Neat:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Neat
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of the Central Nicobarese Language (English-Nicobarese and Nicobarese-English), with Appendices Containing a Comparison of Synonymous Words in the Remaining Nicobarese Forms and Other Matters, Preceded by Notes on the Grammar of the Central Form (1889)
by Edward Horace Man
ual neat; aheng-tah&l. lue ; "heang-tafua-heang lue ; aheang-taf ual-heang lie; aheng-tah61-heng. fo6n ; "aii-tafua f odn ; "an-taf iial fan; "neat-tahdl. tani. tafual. sat. heo-hare. maichiia-tare. sam. shdm-heang kahok-sian. neat-sian. lue-sian.
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
NEAT. adj. [net, French, nitidus, Latjn.] 1. Elegant, but without dignity. — The thoughts are plain, yet admit a little quickness and passion ; the expression humbL-, yet as pure as the language will afford ; neat, but not florid ; easy, and yet lively.
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
*NEAT, adj. [net, French, mitidus, Latin.] 1. Elegant, but without dignity—The thoughts are plain, yet admit a little quickness and passion; the expression humble, yet as pure as the language will afford; neat, but not florid; easy, and yet lively.
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
littered like a schoolroom after a paper fight —Mary Hood Neat and bare as a GI's footlocker —George Garrett (Withered little Filipino men, as) neat and brittle as whiskbrooms —Fletcher Knebel Neat and dustless as a good ...
Manding-English Dictionary (2015)
Maninka, Bamana Vol. 1. by Vydrine, Valentin
rare beneat, be tidy, cleanly 2. adi 1 neat, tidy, cleanly 2 (b) elegant (refined in clothes and manners) Syn bugá 1 (b) 3 coquettish /mainly about women/ Syn bugá 1 (b) 3. n 1 neat ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Neat
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Neat
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Puchie_D
Photo credit: TLeClairPhotography
Photo credit: Ernie Zahn
Photo credit: Srajo
Photo credit: pthread1981
odt - neat
Photo credit: airguy1988
Photo credit: The hills are alive*
Photo credit: fschnell
Photo credit: mtcarlson
Photo credit: Jessie Pearl
Photo credit: Jo Naylor
- Neat Bird
If somebody knows what this bird is called, please mention in comments.
Photo credit: kamirao
Photo credit: gmpartsonline
- Weird but neat
Photo credit: Northfielder
Photo credit: NewGMParts
- Neat Parking
Photo credit: Reinis Traidas
Photo credit: bradleygee
Photo credit: gmpartsonline
Photo credit: realmazdaparts
Photo credit: TheGirlsNY
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Neat
Click on an item to play that video:
- Neat Meaning
Video shows what neat means. A bull or cow.. Cattle collectively.. neat pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. neat meaning.
- Why Cardio Doesn't Work For Some People : A NEAT Explanation
- BLUE TRUE 302 ( Definition of a neat Street Car )
This guy didnt get carried away with this build . A mild street car that you can cruise the streets with and have some fun !!!!
- 900 Global Presents the Neat System Explanation Bowling Video
900 Global presents the N.E.A.T. System of Bowling Ball surface adjustment.
See also the pronunciation examples of Neat!
5. SIGN LANGUAGE IS A NEAT WAY TO EXPRESS YOURSELF
Quotes about Neat
Scrabble value of N1E1A1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NEAT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Neat!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Neat to see it in context!