On this page:
- Definition of the noun natural philosophy
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Natural philosophy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Natural philosophy
- Photos about Natural philosophy
- Video about Natural philosophy
- Quotes about Natural philosophy
- Anagrams of NATURAL PHILOSOPHY
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun natural philosophy
What does natural philosophy mean as a name of something?
- the science of matter and energy and their interactions
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of natural philosophy: physics
- more generic term: natural science = the sciences involved in the study of the physical world and its phenomena
- more specific terms:
- astronomy / uranology = the branch of physics that studies celestial bodies and the universe as a whole
- astronautics / aeronautics = the theory and practice of navigation through air or space
- biophysics = physics as applied to biological problems
- cryogenics / cryogeny = the branch of physics that studies the phenomena that occur at very low temperatures
- crystallography = the branch of science that studies the formation and structure of crystals
- electromagnetics / electromagnetism = the branch of physics concerned with electromagnetic phenomena
- electronics = the branch of physics that deals with the emission and effects of electrons and with the use of electronic devices
- electrostatics = the branch of physics that deals with static electricity
- mechanics = the branch of physics concerned with the motion of bodies in a frame of reference
- nuclear physics / atomic physics / nucleonics = the branch of physics that studies the internal structure of atomic nuclei
- optics = the branch of physics that studies the physical properties of light
- high energy physics / high-energy physics / particle physics = the branch of physics that studies subatomic particles and their interactions
- plasma physics = the branch of physics concerned with matter in its plasma phase
- quantum physics = the branch of physics based on quantum theory
- rheology = the branch of physics that studies the deformation and flow of matter
- solid-state physics = the branch of physics that studies the properties of materials in the solid state: electrical conduction in crystals of semiconductors and metals; superconductivity
- statistical mechanics = the branch of physics that makes theoretical predictions about the behavior of macroscopic systems on the basis of statistical laws governing its component particles
- thermodynamics = the branch of physics concerned with the conversion of different forms of energy
Alternative definition of the noun natural philosophy
- The objective study of nature in the widest sense, including mathematics and all the sciences.
- The study of the physical sciences including mathematics.
- The study of physics, astronomy and mathematics.
- The mathematical study of astronomy and cosmology.
- The philosophy of quantum mechanics, relativity and cosmology.
- "Natural philosophy" is a book by Wilhelm Ostwald.
- subject: Science
- "Natural philosophy" is a book by C. L. Hotze.
- also known as "Natural philosophy: lessons in physics"
Natural philosophy or the philosophy of nature was the philosophical study of nature and the physical universe that was dominant before the development of modern science. It is considered to be the precursor of natural sciences such as physics.
- also known as 自然哲学
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Natural philosophy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Edward Craig
JOHN FINNIS NATURAL LAWS see Laws, NATURAL NATURAL PHILOSOPHY, MEDIEVAL Medieval Latin natural philosophy falls into two main periods, before the rise of the universities ( mainly in the twelfth century, when works were ...
by Edward Craig
Natural deduction, tableau and sequent systems Natural kinds Natural Law Natural philosophy, medieval Natural theology Naturalism in ethics Naturalism in social science Naturalized epistemology Naturalized philosophy of science Nature ...
by Edward Craig
John Monism Natural deduction, tableau and Nous Monism, Indian sequent systems Nozick, Robert Monotheism Natural kinds Numbers Montague, Richard Merett Natural Law Numenius Montaigne, Michel Eyquem de Natural philosophy, ...
Philosophy Between 500 and 1500 by Henrik Lagerlund
Springer, The Netherlands, pp 63–94 Natural Philosophy Johannes M. M. H. THIJSSEN Faculty of Philosophy Radboud University Nijmegen Nijmegen The Netherlands Abstract Before the publication of Newton's Principia mathematica ...
by Edward Craig, Knightsbridge Professor of Philosophy Edward Craig
Philosophy itself has three subdivisions: divine philosophy or natural theology, natural philosophy, and human philosophy, this last including the doctrine of the soul, logic, rhetoric, ethics and politics). Metaphysics is a branch of natural ...
Encyclopedia Mancuniensis (1815)
Or, The New School of Arts, Science, and Manufactures; Being an Elementary Circle of the Sciences, and General Display of Useful Knowledge; Designed as a Familiar Introduction to Natural Philosophy, Chemistry Etc
Or, The New School of Arts, Science, and Manufactures; Being an Elementary Circle of the Sciences, and General Display of Useful Knowledge; Designed as a Familiar Introduction to Natural Philosophy, Chemistry Etc. 616 of Philosophy.
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Natural philosophy and chemistry have generally been made particular institutions in our seminaries of learning, but physiology has more commonly been taught in conjunction with anatomy, medicine, and botany. The phenomena of the first ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Natural philosophy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Natural philosophy
If you need images about Natural philosophy for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about Natural philosophy
Natural philosophy Meaning
Video shows what natural philosophy means. The objective study of nature in the widest sense, science, (later especially) physics.. Natural philosophy Meaning.
See also the pronunciation examples of Natural philosophy!
Quotes about Natural philosophy
Anagrams of NATURAL PHILOSOPHY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Natural philosophy!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Natural philosophy to find many related words and phrases!