On this page:
- Definition of the noun mother-in-law
- Phrases with Mother-in-law
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Mother-in-law
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mother-in-law
- Photos about Mother-in-law
- Videos about Mother-in-law
- Quotes about Mother-in-law
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mother-in-law
What does mother-in-law mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: mothers-in-law
- the mother of your spouse
- examples: Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law are a tempest and hailstorm. | I'm getting along with my mother-in-law very well. | She bitterly regretted having said something that displeased her mother-in-law. | Mother-in-law jokes are funny because they're true. | Mary is Tom's mother-in-law. | I hate my mother-in-law. | My mother-in-law gives me the creeps. | He unintentionally revived his mother-in-law. | She probably can get along well with her mother-in-law. | I don't think she'll be happy living with her mother-in-law.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic terms: in-law / relative-in-law = a relative by marriage; female parent / mother = a woman who has given birth to a child
- instance: Naomi / Noemi = the mother-in-law of Ruth whose story is told in the Book of Ruth in the Old Testament
Alternative definition of the noun mother-in-law
- One’s spouse’s mother.
- A mother-in-law apartment.
- [dated] A stepmother.
Specialised definition of the noun mother-in-law
Glossary of sports / bowling
usually the 7-pin, because it's often the pin that remains standing to spoil what looked like a good strike hit; sometimes synonymous with barmaid
Mother-in-Law is an Island in Flathead Lake.
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from the 2002 film Steal It If You Can.
- Mother-in-law a.k.a. Mother in Law is a fictional character from the film "Apocalypto".
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from the 2008 film Sunny.
- Mother-in-law a.k.a. Mother in law is a fictional character from the 2003 film Raghu Romeo.
- Mother-in-law a.k.a. Mother in Law is a fictional character from the 2005 film Water.
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from the 1998 film Mama Don't Cry.
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from the 1947 film The Spring River Flows East.
- Mother-in-law a.k.a. Mother in law is a fictional character from the 2008 film Afterwards.
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from the 2001 film Poisons or the World History of Poisoning.
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from the 1973 film A Brief Vacation.
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from On the Wrong Trek.
- Mother-in-law a.k.a. Mother in law is a fictional character from the 1931 film Jamai Shashthi.
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from the 2008 film If You Were Me-Anima Vision 2.
- Mother-in-law is a fictional character from the 2006 film A Season of Madness.
- Mother-in-law a.k.a. Mother in Law is a fictional character from the 1946 film Bacall to Arms.
- Mother-in-Law is a fictional character from the 2007 film, Wild Hogs.
- Mother-in-Law is a fictional film character.
"Mother-in-Law" is a 1961 song recorded by Ernie K-Doe. It song was a number-one hit in the U.S. on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B charts. The song was written and produced by Allen Toussaint who also played the piano solo. It was issued by Minit Records. After several unsuccessful takes, Allen Toussaint balled the composition up and threw it away as he was leaving the room. One of the backup singers, Willie Hopper, thought that it was such a good song that he convinced Ernie K-Doe to calm down and give it one more try.
The mother-in-law sandwich is a Chicago area fast food dish that features a Chicago-style corn-roll tamale nestled in a hot dog bun and smothered with chili. The mother-in-law is made with Chicago's unique style of tamale, a machine-extruded cornmeal roll, wrapped in paper, which is typically cooked in a hot-dog steamer.
- Mother-in-law is a print ad.
- award: - Clio Award for Print Technique nomination for TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris Johannesburg
- Mother-In-Law is a print ad.
Phrases with Mother-in-law
- mother-in-law plant
- Mother-in-Law Style
- mother-in-law's tongue
- Mother-in-Law Apartment
- mother-in-law's tongue
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Mother-in-law
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An A-to-Z Guide by Jaina C. Sanga
Over time, the attitudes change and the two figures move closer, but until then, the mother-in-law is the symbol of everything about Tamil...
In that sense, the mother-in-law is an allegorical figure, a trope for the JEAN ARASANAYAGAM 17.
by Thomas Cable
The girl's mother-in-law is a old witch. wɪljɑm. wɪljɑm mɑdɑ ɪz ɑ uɔld wɪč. dɪ gjʌl mɑdɑ:nlɑ: ɪz ɑuɔld wɪč. So you going to find out what is going to happen now. suɔ, jugwɑɪŋ fɑɪn ɔʊt, wɑ dɛ gə hɑpm nɔʊ. English in Asia and ...
Feasts of Honor (1985)
Ritual and Change in the Toraja Highlands by Toby Alice Volkman
"Eeeeee," Dana' proclaimed to all the Luwunese, "the datu's mother-in-law is a pig!" Shamed and angered, the datu ...
by Donald Haase, Donald Haase Ph.D.
The mother-in-law also appears as a cultural stereotype in many jokes, anecdotes, and personal narratives across many...
Encyclopedia of Motherhood (2010)
by Andrea O'Reilly
The mother-in-law, the mother of one's husband or wife, has historically been a controversial figure in society and culture. While the relationship between a mother-in-law and son-in-law can be filled with tension, it is the relationship between a ...
by Joyce E. Salisbury
Naomi Biblical Mother-in-Law (ca. 1100 B.C.) The Book of Ruth in the Bible shows readers one of the difficult aspects of life for ancient Hebrew women: Unless they were married, or otherwise in the care of a man who handled property, they ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mother-in-law
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mother-in-law
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: José Morcillo Valenciano
Photo credit: basykes
Photo credit: trindade.joao
- Mother-in-law's Wrecking Yard
Photo credit: mikecogh
- A Mother-in-Law's View :)
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Mother-in-law crushes Bath building
Other than the building-crushing thing, she's very nice.
On Great Britain, the 3rd-most populous and 9th largest island in the world.
Photo credit: WorldIslandInfo.com
- Sansevieria trifasciata [Mother-in-law's Tongue]
Photo credit: jalexartis
- Picnic with mother & mother-in-law
Photo credit: markheseltine
- Sister's mother-in-law
Photo credit: Clemson
- Locks on Mother-in-Law Bridge
Photo credit: katesheets
View more pictures about The Mother-in-law.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Mother-in-law
Click on an item to play that video:
- Mother-in-law Meaning
Video shows what mother-in-law means. One's spouse's mother.. A mother-in-law apartment.. A stepmother.. mother-in-law pronunciation. How to pronounce ...
- Mother-in-law apartment Meaning
Video shows what mother-in-law apartment means. A small apartment attached to or carved out of a nominally single-family house, ostensibly intended for ...
View more videos about Mother-in-Law Style.
See also the pronunciation examples of Mother-in-law!
Quotes about Mother-in-law
I repaid to my daughter in law
What I had got from my mother in law,
To avenge my hatred on her.
She repaid to me later in equal terms
What then I did late to my mother in Law,
To revenge her hatred on me.
18.02.2002, Pakd (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about mother-in-law...
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mother-in-law to see it in context!