Morality appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Party ’til aroma’s set, so hate set a hostess a morality trap.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun morality and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun morality
- Phrases with Morality
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Morality
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Morality
- Photos about Morality
- Video language resources about Morality
- Quotes about Morality
- Scrabble value of M3O1R1A1L1I1T1Y4
- Anagrams of MORALITY
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun morality
What does morality mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: moralities
- concern with the distinction between good and evil or right and wrong; right or good conduct
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- antonym: immorality
- more generic word: quality = an essential and distinguishing attribute of something or someone
- more specific terms:
- motivation based on ideas of right and wrong
- lexical domain: Motives - nouns denoting goals
- synonyms of morality: ethical motive / ethics / morals
- more generic words: motivation / motive / need = the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal; the reason for the action
- more specific terms:
- hedonism = the pursuit of pleasure as a matter of ethical principle
- sense of right and wrong / moral sense / conscience / scruples = motivation deriving logically from ethical or moral principles that govern a person's thoughts and actions
- Christ Within / Light Within / Inner Light / Light = a divine presence believed by Quakers to enlighten and guide the soul
Alternative definition of the noun morality
- [uncountable] Recognition of the distinction between good and evil or between right and wrong; respect for and obedience to the rules of right conduct; the mental disposition or characteristic of behaving in a manner intended to produce morally good results.
- [countable] A set of social rules, customs, traditions, beliefs, or practices which specify proper, acceptable forms of conduct.
- synonym: morals
- [countable] A set of personal guiding principles for conduct or a general notion of how to behave, whether respectable or not.
- [countable, archaic] A lesson or pronouncement which contains advice about proper behavior.
- synonym: homily
- [uncountable, rare] Moral philosophy, the branch of philosophy which studies the grounds and nature of rightness, wrongness, good, and evil.
- [countable, rare] A particular theory concerning the grounds and nature of rightness, wrongness, good, and evil.
"Morality" is a musical album of Oscar Brand.
- released in (53 years ago)
- "Morality" is a novella by Stephen King published in the July 2009 issue of Esquire. It is included as a bonus story in Blockade Billy, a King book published on May 25, 2010. "Morality" received the 2009 Shirley Jackson Award for Best Novelette.
- also known as Mortality
- "Morality" is a book by Bernard Williams.
- "Morality" is a book by Bernard Gert.
- also known as "Morality: its nature and justification", "Morality: a new justification of the Moral rules"
- "Morality" is a book by Jarrett Zigon.
- also known as "Morality: an anthropological perspective"
Morality is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are "good" and those that are "bad". Morality can be a body of standards or principles derived from a code of conduct from a particular philosophy, religion, culture, etc., or it can derive from a standard that a person believes should be universal. Morality may also be specifically synonymous with "goodness" or "rightness." Immorality is the active opposition to morality, while amorality is variously defined as an unawareness of, indifference toward, or disbelief in any set of moral standards or principles.
- also known as Moralism
Phrases with Morality
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Morality
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Foundations of Bioethics (1996)
by H. Tristram Engelhardt
For those who recognize the concrete values that should guide the good life, secular morality is a wasteland without moral content, without the possibility of moral guidance, and with the possibility of such serious moral failures as suicide and ...
Nietzsche and Levinas (2008)
"After the Death of a Certain God" by Jill Stauffer, Bettina Bergo
Nietzsche's hermeneutic strategy for evaluating the dangerousness of a given morality is that of reading moral values as...
Altruistic morality is the danger of dangers when it comes to the assertion of the value of life because, by operating ...
by Owen J. FLANAGAN
Because morality is the domain of respect for rules, "we had to establish what was meant by respect for rules from the child's point of view. This is why we have begun with an analysis of the rules of a social game in the obligatory aspect which ...
by Tryon Edwards
Morality without religion is only a kind of deadreckoning—an endeavor to find our place on a cloudy sea by measuring the distance we have run, but without any observation of the heavenly bodies.—Longfellow. The Christian religion is the ...
by G.H.R. Parkinson
Morality. and. Universal. Law. Marcus. G.Singer. Theidea ofmorality assomehow involving universal lawhasbeen in existencea longtime. Itreached its fruition and received classic expression inthe philosophy of ImmanuelKant, butitdid ...
Morality • Often thought of as a matter of individual choice, or as conformity to the "correct" behavior learned in contact with family and society. For Christians, however, morality is the sum of true teachings about right and wrong, good and evil, ...
by Elmar Waibl
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Morality
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Morality
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Morality play.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Morality
Click on an item to play that video:
- Morality Meaning
Video shows what morality means. Recognition of the distinction between good and evil or between right and wrong; respect for and obedience to the rules of ...
- Atheist's Definition of Morality #349
"On the Box" is a daily (Monday through Friday) live, 28-minute, web-based talk show hosted by Ray Comfort and the Living Waters team.
- TDT#87: Meaning and Morality Apart from God--Luke Muehlhauser (30 min excerpt)
Full interview on free audio via podcast, or in video at...
- Atheism Vs Theism: Origins, Morality, Meaning. LIU Post
- Joseph Milburn: An Argument for Morality from Naturalistic Explanation
- How the naturalistic explanation provides a fairly sturdy foundation for morality
Sources cited: - "Monkeys Reject Unequal Pay" (Nature, 18 September 2003) --...
- Music, Meaning, and Morality
What makes music moral and how do you evaluate its morality?
- Just Deserts Idiom Revenge Idioms Desserts Vocabulary Morality and Ethics in English
Example: He'll get his just deserts. Just Deserts Idiom Revenge Idioms Desserts Vocabulary Morality and Ethics in English Noun just deserts (plural only) ...
- Meaning and Morality without God.
A further rebuttal to Telemantros on his assertion that life without God is futile. For a full list of videos on this topic see: ...
- Congress gave new definition of morality: Lekhi on Diggy-Amrita episode
- Learning Morality - THE BUDDHA'S EXPLANATION in English
Learning the Buddhist perspective on the Buddha's Explanation. The Buddha was a unique teacher who had set out a number of disciplinary codes for us to ...
- Objective Morality #10: .. the mean of meaning
if a yelp drifts through wilderness, and no one is around hear it, does it have no meaning? ------- Objective Morality #9: ...listen to the inner baboon ...
- Group Discussion 2: "Morality: Meaning and Limits"
- Dr Richard Ebeling The Meaning and Morality of the Profit and Loss System
- The Meaning of Morality
- Objective morality #4: ... the theory of meaning
responses to part 3...
- (Broken on inmendham) 533 - Objective Morality #10: .. the mean of meaning
Re-uploaded due to being broke on inmendham. Fuck the DoNotGod termination. Original description: if a yelp drifts through wilderness, and no one is around ...
- Meaning of life; Timism, the morality of more time
- (Broken on inmendham) 487 - Objective morality #4: ... the theory of meaning
Re-uploaded due to being broke on inmendham. Fuck the DoNotGod termination. Original description: responses to part 3: ...
- The Meaning of Morality - Art Katz Biblical Teaching Library. 247ChristianRadio.com
- Ep 001 Liberty & Morality Defined Language, Tone, & Reputation
Language, Tone, & Reputation; & how they affect the liberty movement. There are many problems which plague Humanity. Most are self inflicted and are done ...
- Archdiocese of Cincinnati changes morality clause language
The Archdiocese of Cincinnati changed the language of the "morality clause" included in contracts teachers must sign. But some say it's not enough of a change.
- Course description: Trust, Emotion, Ethics, and Morality in Negotiation and Decision Making
Jennifer Lerner, Professor of Public Policy and Management, introduces her fall 2009 course "Trust, Emotion, Ethics, and Morality in Negotiation and Decision ...
View more videos about Morality play.
See also the pronunciation examples of Morality!
Quotes about Morality
Scrabble value of M3O1R1A1L1I1T1Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MORALITY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Morality!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Morality to see it in context!