The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb misdirect:
On this page:
Definition of the verb misdirect
What does misdirect mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: misdirected | misdirecting | misdirects
- corrupt morally or by intemperance or sensuality
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of misdirect: corrupt / debase / debauch / demoralise / demoralize / deprave / pervert / profane / subvert / vitiate
- more generic words: alter / change / modify = cause to change; make different
- more specific terms:
- sensualise / sensualize / carnalise / carnalize = debase through carnal gratification
- infect = corrupt with ideas or an ideology
- lead astray / lead off = teach immoral behavior to
- poison = spoil as if by poison
- bastardise / bastardize = change something so that its value declines
- suborn = incite to commit a crime or an evil deed
- lead someone in the wrong direction or give someone wrong directions
- put a wrong address on
Alternative definition of the verb misdirect
- To direct something wrongly
- To put the incorrect address on a mail item
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for misdirect
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
How to Be Funny (2010)
The One and Only Practical Guide for Every Occasion, Situation, and Disaster (no kidding) by Jon Macks
The deliberate misdirect is an excellent way to begin a speech because it draws your audience in with a false premise, then switches it on ...
The Dimwit's Dictionary (2006)
More Than 5,000 Overused Words and Phrases and Alternatives to Them by Robert Hartwell Fiske, Joseph Epstein
bilk; bluff; cheat; con; deceive; defraud; delude; dupe; feint; fool; gyp; hoodwink; lead astray; misdirect; misguide; misinform; mislead; spoof; swindle; trick; victimize. pull a rabbit out of the hat A moribund metaphor (see page 21). be cre- ative; ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
misadventure, mischance, misfortune, snag mishmash hodge-podge, hotchpotch, jumble, mess misinform deceive, misdirect, misguide, mislead misinformed mistaken misinterpret confuse, garble, misapprehend, miscalculate, misconceive, ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
disrespect, double-decked, genuflect, grapholect, incorrect, indirect, intellect, interject, intersect, introject, introspect, misdirect, preselect, re-collect, recollect, redirect, reelect, resurrect, retrospect, self-respect, turtlenecked, vivisect aftereffect, ...
by Nancy LeClaire, George Cardinal, Emily Hunter
misdirect wanitisaAwew ...
by Salvatore Attardo
To this end, the joke creator must express the setup appropriately, so as to guide (misdirect) the audience toward the required interpretation. In language, this can involve careful choice of vocabu- lary and other discourse elements. Sometimes ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
MISHMASH - MITIGATE mishmash: heterogeneity, hodgepodge, jumble, medley, mélange, mixture, olio, pasticcio, pastiche misinform: deceive, lie, misdirect, misguide, mislead, misstate misinterpret: distort, err, misunderstand, miscalculate , ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for misdirect
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of M3I1S1D2I1R1E1C3T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MISDIRECT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
- ERIC SMIDT
See also the blanagrams of misdirect!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of misdirect to see it in context!