The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective middling:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun middling
- Definition of the adjective middling
- Definition of the adverb middling
- Phrases with middling
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for middling
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for middling
- Video language resources about middling
- Quotes about middling
- Scrabble value of M3I1D2D2L1I1N1G2
- Share this page
Definition of the noun middling
What does middling mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: middlings
- any commodity of intermediate quality or size (especially when coarse particles of ground wheat are mixed with bran)
Definition of the adjective middling
What does middling mean as an attribute of a noun?
- lacking exceptional quality or ability
Alternative definition of the adjective middling
- of intermediate or average size, position or quality; mediocre
- synonym: medium
- in fairly good health
- synonym: average
Definition of the adverb middling
What does middling mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- to certain extent or degree
Phrases with middling
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for middling
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John Ramsay McCulloch
iCoogou, ordinnrt nlftingi - - - 1 good ordinary to but middling, broken Rut middling rn. do - but middling rather coarse to...
by Robert E. Weir
A small, but growing contingent of shopkeepers, tavern owners, and business owners made up the middling classes. The Mid-Atlantic region also had urban activity and yeomanry, though the legacy of Dutch and Swedish settlement there led ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for middling
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video language resources about middling
Click on an item to play that video:
- Middling Meaning
Video shows what middling means. Of intermediate or average size, position, or quality; mediocre. In fairly good health.. Middling Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Middling plantation Meaning
Video shows what middling plantation means. A medium-sized plantation with about 20-49 slaves. Contrasted with small plantation or smallholding (19 or less ...
View more videos about Fair to Middling.
See also the pronunciation examples of middling!
Quotes about middling
Scrabble value of M3I1D2D2L1I1N1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of middling to see it in context!