Marriage appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- An aloe dive no marriage lives as evil e.g. air Ramone video, Lana.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun marriage:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun marriage
- Phrases with Marriage
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Marriage
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Marriage
- Photos about Marriage
- Video language resources about Marriage
- Sign language
- Quotes about Marriage
- Scrabble value of M3A1R1R1I1A1G2E1
- Anagrams of MARRIAGE
- Share this page
The word marriage is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun marriage
What does marriage mean as a name of something?
Marriage is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: marriages
- the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)
- example: a long and happy marriage
- domain: jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of marriage: matrimony / spousal relationship / union / wedlock
- more generic term: marital status = the condition of being married or unmarried
- more specific terms:
- bigamy = the state of having two spouses at the same time
- common-law marriage = a marriage relationship created by agreement and cohabitation rather than by ceremony
- intermarriage / inmarriage / endogamy = marriage within one's own tribe or group as required by custom or law
- intermarriage / exogamy = marriage to a person belonging to a tribe or group other than your own as required by custom or law
- marriage of convenience = a marriage for expediency rather than love
- misalliance = an unsuitable alliance
- monandry = the state of having only one husband at a time
- monogamousness / monogamy = the practice or state of having only one spouse at a time
- open marriage = a marriage in which each partner is free to enter into extraneous sexual relationships without guilt or jealousy from the other
- cuckoldom = the state of a husband whose wife has committed adultery
- polygamy = the condition or practice of having more than one spouse at a time
- sigeh = a Shiite tradition of temporary marriage permitted in Iran that allows a couple to specify the terms of their relationship
- two people who are married to each other
- example: his second marriage was happier than the first
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of marriage: man and wife / married couple
- more generic terms: family / family unit = primary social group
- more specific term: mixed marriage = marriage of two people from different races or different religions or different cultures
- member: married person / better half / partner / spouse / mate = a person's partner in marriage
- the act of marrying; the nuptial ceremony
- example: their marriage was conducted in the chapel
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of marriage: marriage ceremony / wedding
- more generic words: rite / ritual = any customary observance or practice
- more specific terms:
- a close and intimate union
Alternative definition of the noun marriage
- The state of being married.
- The union of two people, to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.
- synonym: wedding
- A wedding.
- A close union.
- A joining of two parts.
- [context: poker slang] A king and a queen as a starting hand in Texas hold 'em.
Who is Marriage?
Marriage in the Catholic Church, also called matrimony, is the "covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring", and which "has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptised." Catholic matrimonial law, based on Roman law regarding its focus on marriage as a free mutual agreement or contract, became the basis for the marriage law of all European countries, at least up to the Reformation.
- also known as Кatolički brak, Сакрамент женидбе, Sakrament ženidbe, Sacrement de mariage, Sakrament małżeństwa
Marriage is a musical group.
- albums: "II", "Ebenezer", "Marriage"
- "Marriage" is a play by the Russian writer Nikolai Gogol, which was first published in 1842.
- released in (173 years ago)
- "Marriage" is a book by Susan Edmonstone Ferrier.
- also known as "Marriage; a novel"; Marriage, a novel
- "Marriage" is a book by John Peyton Gilbert.
- subjects: Love, Christian theology, Theology, Christianity, Family, Marriage, Religion
- "Marriage" a.k.a. "Vivah" is a 2006 Indian musical romantic film, written and directed by Sooraj R. Barjatya. The film Starring Amrita Rao and Shahid Kapoor, it was produced and distributed by the Rajshri Productions. Vivah tells the story of two individuals, and relates their journey from engagement to marriage.
- read more about Vivah
- "Marriage" is a 1954 Italian comedy film directed by Antonio Petrucci. It consists of three segments, based on three stage plays by Anton Chekhov.
- "Marriage" a.k.a. "Matrimonio" is a film, directed by Carlos Jaureguialzo.
- read more about Matrimonio
Marriage: “Marriage” is a matching card game played with three decks of cards played in Nepal, Bhutan and Nepali diaspora throughout the world. It is originally thought to have evolved from Rummy, and is based on making sets of three or more matching cards, of the same rank, of the same rank and suit, or of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit.
- genre: Card game
- "Marriage" is the debut album from Canadian rock band Attack in Black, released July 31, 2007. The album was released by Dine Alone Records as both a CD and through digital download. The album won "NXNE Favourite New Indie Record Release" at the 2007 CASBY Awards.
- "Marriage" is a musical album of Berry.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Marriage" is a musical album of Satnam Bhatti & Sudesh Kumari.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Marriage" is a musical single of Gold Panda.
- released in (4 years ago)
- Marriage is a TV program.
- Marriage a.k.a. Conflict of marriage laws is the conflict of laws regarding marriage in different jurisdictions. When marriage-related issues arise between couples with diverse backgrounds, questions as to which legal systems and norms should be applied to the relationship naturally follow with various potentially applicable systems frequently conflicting with one another.
- read more about Conflict of marriage laws
Phrases with Marriage
Phrases starting with the word Marriage:
- marriage bed
- Marriage Lite
- marriage mart
- marriage offer
- Marriage Agency
- marriage broker
- Marriage Finger
- marriage licence
- marriage license
Phrases ending with the word Marriage:
- Gay Marriage
- open marriage
- Sham marriage
- Work Marriage
- civil marriage
- Group marriage
- mixed marriage
- Royal Marriage
- White Marriage
- Plural marriage
- outside marriage
View more phrases with the word Marriage in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Marriage
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Gale, Cengage Learning
"Marriage Is a Private Affair" is a short story by the renowned Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe. It was first published in 1952 under the title "The Old Order in Conflict with the New" in the University Herald of University College, Ibadan, Nigeria, ...
Marriage Is a Big Deal! (2014)
by George R. Tynes
Marriage is a business partnership that requires training in business and finances Marriage is a trust with a forgiveness bail out plan.
by Anne Stone
Six hours ago Daddy left 32 Marriage is the Devil's Playhouse.
Intercultural Communication (2012)
Impacts on Marriage and Family Relationships by Youd Sinh Chao
Marriage is a heavenly ordained gift of love.
Marriage is an interesting and challenging lifelong journey.
A History, 1944-1989 by Marian S. Mazgaj
Marriage is the legitimate union ofman and wife for permanent physical and spiritual companionship.1 Marriage is also “an institution and design of God,
by John S. Mbiti
Marriage is a complex affair with economic, social and religious aspects which often overlap so firmly that they cannot be separated from one another. We shall deal briefly...
For African peoples, marriage is the focus of existence. It is the point ...
Consisting of Beautiful Thoughts, Choice Extracts and Sayings, of the Most Eminent Writers of All Nations, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time, Together with a Comprehensive Biographical Index of Authors, and an Alphabetical List of Subjects Quoted
Marriage is the comfort of the considerate and prudent, but the torment of the inconsiderate and self-willed.
Marriage is a spiritual association, subject to the creed, code, cult, and canons of the religious community. Marriage is a social estate, subject to special state laws of property, inheritance, and evidence, and to the expectations and exactions of ...
Marriage and Metaphor (2009)
Constructions of Gender in Rabbinic Literature by Gail Susan Labovitz
Marriage is an On-Going Journey ("spouses go 'through the good and the bad' together; and they make progress.
Marriage is a Durable Bond Between Two People ("The secureness of this bond ...
by David Shephard Garland, Lucius Polk McGehee, James Cockcroft, Charles Porterfield
Marriage, c0nt'd. BILLS OF EXCHANGE AND PROlIIS- BILLS OF EXCHANGE AND PROMISSORY.
by Melissa Hope Ditmore
Because women have had unequal access to wages and financial capital, heterosexual marriage also provides protection from or a way out of prostitution as an economic necessity. However, viewing marriage and prostitution as opposing ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Marriage
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Marriage
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Marriage
Click on an item to play that video:
- Timothy Keller: "The Meaning of Marriage" | Talks at Google
Timothy Keller visits Google's New York, NY office to discuss his book "The Meaning of Marriage." This event took place on November 14, 2011, as part of the ...
- English Vocabulary - Marriage and Divorce
- WEDDING & MARRIAGE Vocabulary in English
DING DONG! Do you hear those bells ringing? It's time for a lesson on wedding and marriage vocabulary! Do you know who the "maid of honor" is? What do you ...
- Lesson 8 - Love and Marriage - English Vocabulary
A lesson in honor of Valentine's Day. Topic: Love and Marriage. Expressions for students at the upper intermediate and advanced levels.
- The Meaning of Marriage Small Group Bible Study by Timothy and Kathy Keller - Session One
6-Session DVD and Study Guide available here: ChristianBook.com...
- 'The Meaning of Marriage' by Timothy Keller
Are you and your spouse struggling to keep your marriage alive? You'll welcome Pastor Keller's wise insights about love and commitment. Drawing from his ...
- Alan Keyes on the definition of marriage
"it's not just incidentally impossible, it's impossible in principal! here is the link to hear Mr Obama's "vague feelings" point of view...
- The Meaning Of Marriage, Divorce, And Singleness By John MacArthur
- THE MEANING OF MARRIAGE - DANI AUSTIN
- The Meaning of Marriage Small Group Bible Study by Timothy and Kathy Keller - Trailer
6-Session DVD and Study Guide available here: ChristianBook.com...
- The Definition of Marriage has been Changed | "Glenn Beck Radio Program"
Glenn Beck talks about the Supreme Court's latest decision. Watch full episodes of the Glenn Beck Radio Program on demand with a subscription to TheBlaze ...
- The Meaning of Marriage
A short documentary film about the marriage of Carl and Dave and its significance to their families.
- Meaning of Marriage Trailer
Come to Corinth Church (4269 Corinth Blvd. Dayton, Ohio 45410) on Sunday, Sept. 15, for the upcoming sermon series, The Meaning of Marriage. Based on the ...
- The Definition of Marriage...
Thom Hartmann comments on marriage equality arguments before the United States Supreme Court. If you liked this clip of The Thom Hartmann Program, ...
- Living with the Enemy: Bonus Scene: The Definition of Marriage (S1, E3)
- Marriage Definition
- RWW News: Jim Garlow Prophetically Declares That God's Definition Of Marriage Will Prevail
- The Meaning of Marriage | Marriage Today | Jimmy Evans
There are three core reasons that people marry and three main reasons couples divorce. When these areas are good, so is the relationship. When one or more ...
- KTF News - Presbyterian Church USA Changes Definition of Marriage
KTF News - Presbyterian Church USA Changes Definition of Marriage.
- Meaning of Marriage Study Promo
The Meaning of Marriage study is a book by Timothy Keller. The study will take place starting Sept 7 at City On A Hill DFW church (Ft Worth, TX) Sunday ...
View more videos about Marriage Ceremony.
See also the pronunciation examples of Marriage!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Nikah(marriage) ceremony in Malaysia Sign Language
Nikah (marriage in Islam) ceremony of Saiful and Afifah in Malaysian Sign Language.
- Nikah(Marriage) ceremony in Malaysia Sign Language
Nikah(Marriage) ceremony of Nurul Husna and Mohd Firdaus in Malaysia Sign Language.
- Sign Language Marriage Proposal
She said Yes!
Quotes about Marriage
I believe wholeheartedly in marriage. I don't exclusively mean a marriage with a legal contract, but any relationship that constitutes a marriage because of the quality of their relationship. (Helen Reddy)
more quotes about marriage...
Scrabble value of M3A1R1R1I1A1G2E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MARRIAGE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Marriage!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Marriage to see it in context!