On this page:
- Definition of the noun mammal
- Phrases with Mammal
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mammal
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mammal
- Photos about Mammal
- Video about Mammal
- Quotes about Mammal
- Scrabble value of M3A1M3M3A1L1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mammal
What does mammal mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: mammals
- any warm-blooded vertebrate having the skin more or less covered with hair; young are born alive except for the small subclass of monotremes and nourished with milk
- examples: A whale is a sort of mammal. | A dolphin is a kind of mammal. | A dolphin is a mammal. | The whale is not a fish but a mammal. | The whale is a very large mammal which lives in the sea. | The whale is well known to be the largest mammal. | A whale is a mammal; in other words it feeds milk to its young. | A whale is a mammal. | A whale is no less a mammal than a horse. | A bat is not a bird, but a mammal.
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of mammal: mammalian
- more generic words: craniate / vertebrate = animals having a bony or cartilaginous skeleton with a segmented spinal column and a large brain enclosed in a skull or cranium
- more specific terms:
- female mammal = animals that nourish their young with milk
- tusker = any mammal with prominent tusks
- prototherian = primitive oviparous mammals found only in Australia and Tasmania and New Guinea
- metatherian = primitive pouched mammals found mainly in Australia and the Americas
- eutherian mammal / placental mammal / eutherian / placental = mammals having a placenta
- fossorial mammal = a burrowing mammal having limbs adapted for digging
- member of: class Mammalia / Mammalia = warm-blooded vertebrates characterized by mammary glands in the female
Alternative definition of the noun mammal
- An animal of the class Mammalia, characterized by being warm-blooded, having hair and feeding milk to its young.
- [paleontology] A vertebrate with three bones in the inner ear and one in the jaw.
Mammal were an Australian band that formed in March 2006. Mammal rose up the ranks of the Australian music scene very quickly. Their first self-titled EP was recorded soon after the band came together. Their debut live album "Vol:1 The Aural Underground" was recorded just 4 months after the band started touring at a sold out show at The Evelyn Hotel on 2 February 2007. Mammal also released a single titled "Slaves/Nagasaki in Flames" AA side, featuring 3 songs. Mammal entered the studio on 21 April 2008 to begin recording their debut studio album which was released in August 2008. Some of the band's songs, including Hell Yeah!, New Breed Judas and Slaves, received regular airplay on Australian radio station Triple J.
- genres: Funk, Classic rock, Hard rock, Heavy metal, Rap metal, Funk rock, Alternative metal
- albums: "The Majority", "Vol 1: The Aural Underground", "Vol 2: Systematic/Automatic", "Mammal"
- official website: www.thegroovemerchants.com/artist/14999
Who is Mammal?
Mammal a.k.a. Thomas Bullock is a British musician and former member of the electroclash group A.R.E. Weapons.
- read more about Thomas Bullock (musical artist)
- "Mammal" is the second studio album by the Irish black metal band Altar of Plagues. It was released through Candlelight Records in Europe and Profound Lore Records in North America, each with different artwork.
- "Mammal": Mammal is the self-titled debut Extended play (EP), by Australian hard rock band, Mammal from 2006. The band sold the EP independently at their live shows and on their website until early 2007 when they signed with Metropolitan Groove Merchants to distribute it independently. The original version was replaced by the MGM version, released in March. The EP peaked into the top 20 of the AIR Charts.
"Mammal" is a book by Steve Parker.
"Mammal" is a film.
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (19 years ago)
Phrases with Mammal
Phrases starting with the word Mammal:
Phrases ending with the word Mammal:
- Crown Mammal
- young mammal
- female mammal
- hoofed mammal
- aquatic mammal
- gnawing mammal
- leporid mammal
- pouched mammal
- cetacean mammal
- fissiped mammal
- pinniped mammal
- sirenian mammal
- eutherian mammal
- fossorial mammal
- musteline mammal
- placental mammal
- viverrine mammal
- egg-laying mammal
View more phrases with the word Mammal in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mammal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Querying XML (2011)
XQuery, XPath, and SQL/XML in context by Jim Melton, Stephen Buxton
At first glance, an ontology might look exactly the same as a taxonomy – a Sheltie is a dog is a mammal is an animal. But the ontology node is not "the term Sheltie," rather it is “the concept which is a breed of dog that is quite small and has long ...
The Theory of Thought (1880)
A Treatise on Deductive Logic by Noah Knowles Davis
mammal (=g.). A mammal is a vertebrate (=g.) suckling its young ( = d.). A vertebrate is an animal (=g.) having an internal skeleton ( = d.). An animal is a sentient (=d.) organism ( = g.). An organism is a living (=d.) being (=g.). Here we have the ...
With a Study of the Relations of Living and Extinct Faunas as Elucidating the Past Changes of the Earth's Surface by Alfred Russel Wallace
The only truly indigenous mammal is a bat of a European species. Nine butterflies inhabit the Azores; eight of them are European species, one North American. Of beetles 212 have been collected, of which no less than 175 are European ...
My First Dictionary (2012)
by DK Publishing
mammal A mammal is a warm-blooded animal that feeds on its mother's milk. grown-up boy.
A Collection of Quotations Pertaining to Archaeology, Architecture, Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Cosmology, Darwinism, Death, Engineering, Geology, Life, Mathematics, Medicine, Nature, Nursing, Paleontology, Philosophy, Physics, Probability, Science, Statistics, Technology, Theory, Universe, and Zoology by Carl C. Gaither, Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither
ANIMAL: MAMMAL: AARDVARK................... 66 ANIMAL: MAMMAL:...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
negligence malt beverage: ale, beer malt vinegar: alegar maltreat: abuse, damage, harm, injure, mishandle, misuse, victimize mammal: beast, bovine, carnivore, cat, coati, edentate, equine, feline, marsupial, ovine, primate, rodent, ruminant, ...
by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
For example, given two sequences (+monkey, +primate, +mammal) and (+ primate, +mammal, +animal), then (+monkey, +primate, +mammal, +animal) is inheritable. A set of sequences is closed if all of its component sequences are well ...
Volume 69 - Supplement 32 by Allen Kent
For example, given two sequences (+monkey, +primate, +mammal) and ...
by Philip Kearey
T€S€TU€S Table R2 Reptilia and Mammalla homologies Reptile Mammal Stapes Sound conducting/ Stapes Sound conduction quadrate support Quadrate Upper jaw hinge lncus Sound conduction Articular Lower jaw hinge Malleus Sound ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mammal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mammal
Click on an item to view that photo:
There's some sort of mammal just about visible in the centre of the photo, could be an elk
Photo credit: r h
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Mammal
Video shows what mammal means. An animal of the class Mammalia, characterized by being warm-blooded, having hair and feeding milk to its young.
View more videos about Crown Mammal.
See also the pronunciation examples of Mammal!
Quotes about Mammal
Man is the only mammal that can be skinned more than once.
more quotes about mammal...
Scrabble value of M3A1M3M3A1L1
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mammal to see it in context!