Major Affective Disorder
is an acrostic for mad.
On this page:
Definition of the noun major affective disorder
What does major affective disorder mean as a name of something?
- any mental disorder not caused by detectable organic abnormalities of the brain and in which a major disturbance of emotions is predominant
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of major affective disorder: affective disorder / emotional disorder / emotional disturbance
- more generic terms: disturbance / folie / mental disorder / mental disturbance / psychological disorder = a psychological disorder of thought or emotion
- more specific terms:
- clinical depression / depressive disorder / depression = a state of depression and anhedonia so severe as to require clinical intervention
- manic disorder / mania = a mood disorder
- manic-depressive psychosis / manic depressive illness / bipolar disorder / manic depression = a mental disorder characterized by episodes of mania and depression
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Major Affective Disorder
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Biomedical Sociocultural & Psychological Perspectives by Steven Wiley Emmett
Major affective disorder is a group of severe disorders of mood, including manic depressive illness (bipolar disorder) and major depression (American Psychiatric Association, 1980). Major affective disorder is now widely recognized as a ...
by Henry Harold Friedman
A major affective disorder is a disorder of mood, found in individuals who have not had other psychiatric disorders, in which depression or mania is the predominant ...
by Stuart Sutherland
major affective disorder. A severe disorder of mood, e.g. unipolar manic-depressive disorder. major depressive episode. (DSM-III) An affective disorder in which the patient has been depressed for at ...
Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions - Australian & New Zealand Edition (2009)
by Peter Harris, Sue Nagy, Nicholas Vardaxis
Also called major affective disorder, unipolar disorder. major histocompatibility antigen, one of a group of proteins encoded.
by Frank J. Ayd
epidemic/major affective disorder A study of adults who, [as fetuses in the second trimester.] were exposed to influenza during the 1957 epidemic in Finland disclosed an increase in major affective ...
by Mosby, Inc
major affective disorder. See major depressive disorder. major connector, a metal plate or bar used for joining the two halves of a removable partial denture. major depressive disorder, a major disorder ...
MACV Machupo virus MAD major affective disorder; mandibuloacral ...
major affective disorder N. any of a group of psychotic disorders not caused by an organic disorder and characterized by persistent disturbances of mood and thought processes and inappropriate emotional responses, as occur in some forms ...
by Oxford University Press
magnetic anomaly detection - maintenance, assembly, and disassembly ' Psychiatry major affective disorder ' Commerce mean absolute deviation - Military mutual assured destruction Madag. Madagascar MADD (mzed ) ...
by George P. Rédei
MFAD2 (major affective disorder 2 or bipolar affective disorder; BPAD) was assigned to Xq28. The physiological bases may also vary from defects in neurotransmitters to electrolyte abnormalities, etc. Commonly recommended therapy involves ...
Encyclopedia of Homelessness (2004)
by David Levinson
One-quarter were seriously mentally ill (10 percent were schizophrenic, and 15 percent had a major affective disorder—either clinical depression or ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Major Affective Disorder
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Major Affective Disorder to find many related words and phrases!