Licking appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- In a car, a mate takes oral licking aromatherapy to obese booty par, eh? Ta, Morag, Nik, Cilla, Rose, Kate, Tamara… can I?
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun licking:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun licking
- Phrases with Licking
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Licking
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Licking
- Photos about Licking
- Video about Licking
- Sign language
- Quotes about Licking
- Scrabble value of L1I1C3K5I1N1G2
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun licking
What does licking mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: lickings
- an unsuccessful ending to a struggle or contest
- example: they suffered a convincing licking
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonym of licking: defeat
- more generic words: conclusion / ending / finish = event whose occurrence ends something; failure = an event that does not accomplish its intended purpose
- more specific words:
- heartbreaker = a narrow defeat or a defeat at the last minute
- lurch = a decisive defeat in a game
- rout = an overwhelming defeat
- shutout / skunk = a defeat in a game where one side fails to score
- slaughter / thrashing / trouncing / walloping / drubbing / whipping / debacle = a sound defeat
- waterloo = a final crushing defeat
- whitewash = a defeat in which the losing person or team fails to score
- the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of licking: beating / drubbing / lacing / thrashing / trouncing / whacking
- more generic term: corporal punishment = the infliction of physical injury on someone convicted of committing a crime
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun licking
- [slang] A severe beating.
- [slang] A great loss or defeat.
Licking is a city located in Texas County, Missouri, United States. The population was 3,124 at the 2010 census.
Licking is the action of passing the tongue over a surface, typically either to deposit saliva onto the surface, or to collect liquid, food or minerals onto the tongue for ingestion, or to communicate with other animals. Many animals both groom themselves and eat or drink by licking.
Phrases with Licking
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Licking
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Psychology and Your Life (2016)
Psychology, Psychology by CTI Reviews
Licking is the action of passing the tongue over a surface, typically either to deposit saliva onto the surface, or to collect liquid onto the tongue for ingestion, or to...
Hand-book of Missouri (1880)
Embracing Exhibits of the Agricultural, Commercial, Industrial ... Interests of the State ...
all over the county : Licking is the oldest town in the county, and contains about as large a population as Houston. It is situated fifteen miles northeast of Houston, on the main ...
An Inch or Two of Time (2015)
Time and Space in Jewish Modernisms by Jordan D. Finkin
The transfer is motivated by the resemblance of a pendulum to a tongue, but the context—the terminus is temporaesthetic and the source is gustatory, since licking is an element of the gustatory semantic field—is again a desire for satiety, ...
Including Hoofed Mammals, Carnivores, Primates by Richard D. Estes
Social licking is a bovine trait that presumably promotes maternal-offspring bonds and social bonds among herd members. It should not be confused with the maternal licking that is designed to stimulate hider calves to eliminate wastes; bovine ...
by Rick A. Bevins, Michael T. Bardo
Air licking is an act that becomes compulsive in fluid-deprived rodents despite the fact that this behavior increases, through evaporation, the bodily need for water. The incentive motivational hypothesis is that behavior of the thirsty animal ...
A Greater omentum B Lesser omentum C Hiatus D Pylorus E Chimo 12 Wound licking is an instinctive response in many animals. Accordingly, saliva contains many antibacterial factors, among which there are: A lysozyme and pepsin B ...
JK, L, M Versability (2015)
by Roger J. Maderia
A licking is a spanking with some pain. Lard is some white cooking fat. A larder is a storage place for food. A laugh is the sound of amusement. Laughter is a very happy mood. A letterhead is a heading on stationery. A letter is a message sent ...
by John KILBOURN (of Columbus, Ohio.)
Newark, Granville, Newton, Licking, Lnion, “'ashington, Bowling Green, Hanover, Monroe,_Franklin, Madison, St. Albans, HopeWell, and Bennington. It likewise contains the towns of Newark the county seat, Granville, Johnstown, and Fairfield .
History Both General and Local, Geography with Descriptions of Its Counties, Cities and Villages, Its Agricultural, Manufacturing, Mining and Business Development, Sketches of Eminent and Interesting Characters, Etc., with Notes of a Tour Over it in 1886. Illustrated by about 700 Engravings. Contrasting the Ohio of 1816 with 1886-90 by Henry Howe
LICKING COUNTY was erected from Fairfield, March 1, 1808, and named from its principal stream, called by the whites Licking — by the Indians, Pataskala. The surface is slightly hilly on the east, the western part is level, and the soil generally ...
Encyclopedia of Neuroscience (2009)
Volume One by Larry R. Squire
Although mastication/ licking and swallowing are inextricably linked during eating , sharing muscles of the tongue and jaws, historically they have been studied largely independently. This view is beginning to change as it is recognized that the ...
Ancient and Modern ... by Joseph Emerson Worcester
Licking, co, central part of Ohio. 3,852. Chief town ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Licking
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Licking
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Licking
Video shows what licking means. An act of licking.. A severe beating.. A great loss or defeat.. Licking Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
View more videos about Take a Licking.
See also the pronunciation examples of Licking!
President Vanburen's Sign Language in Bowling Green Township, Licking County
Bowling Green Township President Vanburen is befuddled when asked a simple question. Asked to give example of what kind of signs will not be permitted in ...
Quotes about Licking
Loving a woman who scorns you is like licking honey from a thorn.
more quotes about licking...
Scrabble value of L1I1C3K5I1N1G2
The value of this 7-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Licking to see it in context!