The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun league:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun league
- Definition of the verb league
- Phrases with League
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for League
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for League
- Photos about League
- Video language resources about League
- Sign language
- Quotes about League
- Scrabble value of L1E1A1G2U1E1
- Anagrams of LEAGUE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun league
What does league mean as a name of something?
League is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: leagues
- an association of sports teams that organizes matches for its members
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of league: conference
- more generic word: association = a formal organization of people or groups of people
- more specific terms:
- major league / big league / majors = the most important league in any sport
- minor league / bush league / minors = a league of teams that do not belong to a major league
- baseball league = a league of baseball teams
- basketball league = a league of basketball teams
- bowling league = a league of bowling teams
- football league = a league of football teams
- hockey league = a league of hockey teams
- Ivy League = a league of universities and colleges in the northeastern United States that have a reputation for scholastic achievement and social prestige
- division / class = a league ranked by quality
- an association of states or organizations or individuals for common action
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic word: union = a political unit formed from previously independent people or organizations
- more specific terms: League of Iroquois / Iroquois League / Five Nations / Six Nations = a league of Iroquois tribes including originally the Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga and Seneca
- an obsolete unit of distance of variable length (usually 3 miles)
Alternative definition of the noun league
- A group or association of cooperating members.
- An organization of sports teams which play against one another for a championship.
- [context: measurement] The distance that a person can walk in one hour, commonly taken to be approximately three English miles (about five kilometers).
Specialised definition of the noun league
Glossary of sports
an association of sports clubs or teams that compete with each other (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a level of performance or skill (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
in team sports and sport disciplines where teams are formed from individual athletes (e.g. gymnastics), the game and competition class where qualified club teams from a certain area are combined for the purpose of competing against each other. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Glossary of sports / rugby union
a version of rugby with 13 players and different rules than are used in rugby union
Glossary of sports / soccer
an alliance of teams that organizes sporting competition
Definition of the verb league
What does league mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: leagued | leaguing | leagues
- unite to form a league
Alternative definition of the verb league
- To form an association.
- League: The sports league or association to which this team belongs or belonged.
- League: The sports league or association that this is a season of.
- League: The regulated organization under which the team competes.
Phrases with League
Phrases starting with the word League:
Phrases ending with the word League:
- in league
- big league
- ivy league
- arab league
- bush league
- major league
- minor league
- Rugby league
- Cactus League
- hockey league
- little league
- bowling league
- American League
View more phrases with the word League in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for League
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Drifting Down the Darling (2015)
Birdwatching and seeking wisdom in a small boat by Tony Pritchard
Rugby league is The Greatest Game of all because it belongs to the working class and does not discriminate; sort of like the...
It has been said that Rugby League is an inferior code of football, is brutal, and is played by beergutted ageing ...
Forward St. Louis (1913)
The Business Men's League is the representative and agent of St. Louis. The Business Men's...
The League is an alliance, offensive and defensive, for progress and betterment. Men of affairs...
The League is a valuable help to the member.
The Negro Problem and Modern Democracy by Gunnar Myrdal
the Urban League is an interracial movement. Both organizations were started on white initiative. In 1906...
The National Urban League is the parent organization. It has its central office in New York. In order to expand the ...
With a View of the Progress of Society in Europe from the Subversion of the Roman Empire to the Beginning of the Sixteenth Century by William Robertson
The Hanseatic league is the most powerful commercial confederacy known in history. Its origin towards the close of the twelfth century, and the objects of its union, are described by Knipschildt Tractatus Historico-Politico Juridicus de Juribus ...
League is a word particularly objectourable. With us it is a common Lartical term implying three geographical miles, or a twentieth part of a degree. Lieue, commonly translated league, is the usual standard of ititerary measure with the French, ...
An Encyclopedia by Philip G. Altbach, Edith S. Hoshino
The Nigerian Book League is an independent, nongovernmental, nonsectional, and nonprofit organization. Its major objectives are to serve as a forum of interaction for members of the trade associations in the book industry, and to look after ...
by Charles Howard Ellis
The Peace-Organizing Tendency The League is an attempt to build on the peace-organizing tendency, to give formal and binding expression to the interdependence of modern nations.
by John Devaney
ACTAFL Australian Capital Territory Australian Football League CANFL Canberra Australian National Football League CHFA Circular Head Football Association FTARFL Federal Territory Australian Rules Football League MJFA Metropolitan ...
by Laurel Zeisler
AHA Amateur Hockey Association AHAC Amateur Hockey Association of Canada AHL American Hockey League CAHA Canadian Amateur Hockey Association CAHL Canadian Amateur Hockey League CBC Canadian Broadcasting ...
Encyclopedia of Motherhood (2010)
by Andrea O'Reilly
La Leche League is an internationally recognized breastfeeding support organization founded in 1956 by a group of seven Catholic women from Chicago: Mary Ann Cahill, Betty Wagner, Mary Ann Kerwin, Mary White, Marian Tompson, ...
by Jeffrey M. Elliot, Robert Reginald
Collective Security Arab League (85) A pan-Arabian regional organization, created in 1945, to strengthen relations amongst the Arab states, coordinate political activities, protect national sovereignty and independence, and promote social, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for League
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about League
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about League
Click on an item to play that video:
- UEFA champions league anthem with lyrics and meaning
In 1992, UEFA commissioned Tony Britten to arrange an anthem for the UEFA Champions League which commenced in August 1992. He adapted Handel's ...
- Blood Bowl 2 League Explanation.
Having a short look at how custom leagues work in Blood Bowl 2.
- Rocket League - Definition of a PRO
- Fragrance League: Rules & Explanation
Fragrance League URL...
- [Rocket League] The Definition of Gracefulness
- Team League Explanation
- English Defence League meaning and pronunciation
English Defence League, who are a non-racist, non-violent & non-political orginisation who fight against Islamic-extremism. There formation came around when ...
- "HONOR before Glory" Youth Combat League explanation
- Definition of getting denied in Rocket League
- Indian Pakau League - Definition of 'Googlee'
Ever dreamt of bowling like Murlitharan or Harbhajan? Lets start by learning what Googlee actually means.
- Yugioh Tier Draft League (YTDL): Introduction, Explanation, and Draft
- Indiant Pakau League - Definition of 'Byes'
Every now and then you wonder what do 'byes' mean in cricket. This is what it actually means, go ahead and share this knowledge with your friends.
- Pokemon Fight Club League - Explanation & Draft Picks
Welcome everyone to the beginning of a new Pokemon league series known as Pokemon Fight Club or PFC for short. What this is 8 players including myself ...
- LET'S LEAGUE! Explanation Video with Beepboop Troll
- League Meaning
Video shows what league means. A group or association of cooperating members.. An organization of sports teams which play against one another for a ...
- Indian Pakau League - Definition of Swing Bowling
- The definition of frustration - Rocket League
- Hot stove league Meaning
Video shows what hot stove league means. The discussion of a sport that happens during the sports off-season.. Hot stove league Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- UTH - Guild League Explanation Q&A
Here, Psycho explains a bit more about the Guild League, how it works, and how it could benefit the growth of the gaming community here overall.
- Rocket League | ESL Go4RL August Monthly Finals | Vs. Team Epic
Greetings fellow members of the human race, the one they call Doomsee is upon thee. This is the quarter finals match of the ESL Go4RL August Monthly Finals ...
- Rocket League ESL Kickoff Cup - Rainbow Rocketeers Full Stream
Full stream of the Rainbow Rocketeers during the ESL first kick off cup!
- NiKo vs. Titan | ESL ESEA Pro League Season 2
- ESL Pro League Winter 2014/15 Finals: GuardiaN: "LCS-like league might help"
- S4 League | [ESL] VoV vs Eden
Peace Guys!!! MIVI is here with a new video , so now you can see the second match from the second S4 League 2on2 team from Voices of Violence. Chered: ...
See also the pronunciation examples of League!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Arab League in British Sign Language (BSL)
Arab League British Sign Language.
- Learn International Sign Language: League of Legends
- [deaf & sign language] deafESL League Season 3 - Grand Final - RAID vs DT DOTA 2
[deaf & sign language] deafESL League Season 3 - Grand Final - RAID vs DT DOTA 2 dota 2 dota 2 top10 weekly dota 2 fails of the week dota 2 wtf moments ...
Quotes about League
I would love to see Flip get back into the league. I think he can definitely still coach in this league. I think he will be in this league quicker than sooner. (Kevin Garnett)
more quotes about league...
Scrabble value of L1E1A1G2U1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LEAGUE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of League!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of League to see it in context!