Large appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- A large fawn jumped quickly over white zinc boxes. (41 letters)
Usage statistics for the adjective large:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective large
- Definition of the adverb large
- Definition of the noun large
- Phrases with Large
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Large
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Large
- Usage statistics about large
- Photos about Large
- Videos about Large
- Sign language
- Quotes about Large
- Scrabble value of L1A1R1G2E1
- Anagrams of LARGE
- Share this page
Large is sometimes a misspelling of larger.
The word large is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective large
What does large mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: larger | largest
- above average in size or number or quantity or magnitude or extent
- examples: a large city | a large sum | a big (or large) barn | a large family | a large number of newspapers | large areas of the world
- synonym of large: big
- antonym of large: small
- similar: ample / sizable / sizeable; astronomic / astronomical / galactic; bear-sized; bigger / larger; biggish / largish; blown-up / enlarged; bouffant / puffy; broad / spacious / wide; bulky; capacious; colossal / prodigious / stupendous; deep; double; enormous / tremendous; cosmic; elephantine / gargantuan / giant / jumbo; epic / heroic / larger-than-life; extended / extensive; gigantic / mammoth; great; grand; Brobdingnagian / huge / immense / vast; hulking / hulky; banging / humongous / thumping / walloping / whopping; king-size / king-sized; large-mouthed; large-scale; large-scale; full-size / life-size / life-sized / lifesize; macroscopic / macroscopical; macro; man-sized; massive / monolithic / monumental; massive; medium-large; monstrous; mountainous; outsize / outsized / oversize / oversized; overlarge / too large; plumping; queen-size / queen-sized; rangy; super; titanic; volumed; voluminous; whacking; wide-ranging
- attribute: size = the physical magnitude of something
- fairly large or important in effect; influential
- ostentatiously lofty in style
- generous and understanding and tolerant
- conspicuous in position or importance
- having broad power and range and scope
- examples: taking the large view | a large effect | a large sympathy
- similar: comprehensive
- in an advanced stage of pregnancy
Definition of the adverb large
What does large mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- at a distance, wide of something (as of a mark)
- with the wind abaft the beam
- example: a ship sailing large
- in a boastful manner
Definition of the noun large
What does large mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: larges
- a garment size for a large person
- "Large" a.k.a. "Garden State" is a 2004 comedy-drama film written and directed by Zach Braff and starring Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard, Ian Holm and Braff himself. The film centers on Andrew Largeman, a 26-year-old actor/waiter who returns to his hometown in New Jersey after his mother dies. Braff based the film on his real life experiences.
- read more about Garden State
- "Large" is a 2001 feature film directed by Justin Edgar for FilmFour.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
Who is Large?
Large a.k.a. Stu Riley is an actor.
- read more about Stu Riley (actor)
Large, Pennsylvania is an unincorporated community in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, along Route 51 and Peters Creek. It is the former site of the Large Distillery, former home of Old Overholt whiskey. The distillery site was converted by the Noble J. Dick Corporation, also headquartered in Large, into a research facility for Westinghouse. The Pittsburgh Terminal Coal Company built a town there, to house the miners working in its coal mine.
- LARGE: Glycosyltransferase-like protein LARGE1 is an enzyme that in humans is encoded by the LARGE gene.
- Large is an English surname, with variants including, but not limited to Lardge, Lurge, and Larg. Its meaning is variable, though it may derive from the Norman French adjective, large, as it is found in the surname "le Large" in English records dating back as far as the 13th century.
- Large a.k.a. like-glycosyltransferase is a gene.
- also known as acetylglucosaminyltransferase-like protein, OTTHUMP00000028624
Phrases with Large
Phrases starting with the word Large:
- large cap
- Large Blue
- Large Mole
- Large Bowel
- Large Camas
- large civet
- Large Heath
- large order
- large white
Phrases ending with the word Large:
View more phrases with the word Large in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Large
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Walter Larden
— The word large means very great compared with the distance between the spheres ; the word small means very small compared with the same. Measurement of Quantity ; unit Quantity. — It was said that in magnetism (see Chapter III.
by Robert Pemberton (F.R.S.L.)
Large is an adjective. Larger is an adjective. Largest is an adjective. 5igr is an adjective. Bigger is an adjective. Biggest is an adjective. Slow is an adjective.
rhetorically, large is used as an adjunct of the subject, buildings, to which, its relation is shown by position only ; therefore, grammatically, large is a descriptive common Adjective. Large is a descriptive common Adjective of quantity indefinite.
Asset Management (2014)
A Systematic Approach to Factor Investing by Andrew Ang
Size is a twoedged sword for Norway, and being large means smallscale alpha opportunities do almost nothing for the overall portfolio. If you're an endowment, perhaps you can't afford big losses because your university will have trouble ...
The Universal Dictionary of Trade and Commerce, with Large Additions and Improvements, Adapting the Same to the Present State of British Affairs in America Since the Last Treaty of Peace Made in the Year 1763; with Great Variety of New Remarks and Illustrations Incorporated Throughout the Whole: Together with Every Thing Essential that is Contained in Savary's Dictionary: Also, All the Material Laws of Trade and Navigation Relating to These Kingdoms and the Customs and Usages to which All Traders are Subject (1774)
by Malachy Postlethwayt
For the further speculation of the ingenious merchant, remitter, and moneyed man, we will give a few more examples from the London course in the preceding large diagram, and upon such places where the profit is seldom less than what ...
The Gardeners and Florists Dictionary, Or a Complete System of Horticulture: ... To which is Added, A Catalogue of Curious Trees, Plants and Fruits, ... In Two Volumes. By Philip Miller ... (1724)
by Philip Miller
Large Red Dutch Currant Common Red Currant Late Red Currant Murrey, or Champaigne Black Currant Strip'd Currant Currant with Gooseberry-Leaves English-wild Currant. Several fine Sorts of Goose- Berries. T Arge Green Early J-J Large ...
by Michael Byram, Adelheid Hu
and yet some teachers effectively manage large classes in which students learn successfully. Class size in itself does not necessarily have a negative impact on the quality of teaching and learning. What matters is teachers« and students« ...
by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo, Catherine Whitney
In the large intestine, the emphasis is on elimination, though a bit of assimilation does take place—principally electrolytes like sodium and potassium and a few ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Large
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about large
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the adjective large:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective large:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective large and its most common antonym:
Photos about Large
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: fabiencambi
Photo credit: Ciclopito
- Large Christmas Tree
Photo credit: Eric Lumsden
- Large earwig
This is larger than the usual earwigs you see - is it a different insect?
Photo credit: quinet
- Large Red Damselfly
Photo credit: bighairydave
- Very Large Seeds
The earth's largest seeds, coconuts, sit perfectly adorned by a purple and red umbrella with a turquoise background. Hai Van Pass, Vietnam, SE Asia
Photo credit: emilio labrador
- Looming large
Fresno Photo walk. Looking up.
Photo credit: busiguy6
- Large mushroom
South Ridge trail.
Photo credit: nordique
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Large
Click on an item to play that video:
- IELTS Writing Task 1: Vocabulary to Describe Large Increases and Decreases
Learn how to use spike, soar, rocket, plunge, and plummet to describe large increases and decreases in graphs and charts.
- Large intestine Meaning
Video shows what large intestine means. The second to last part of the digestive system, comprising the cecum and colon.. large intestine pronunciation. How to ...
- Large Vocabulary Shorthand Writing on Stylus Keyboard
Imagine you can write words by just sliding the pen across the letter keys that makes up words on a graphical keyboard. For example: to write "that" just slide the ...
- Large Optimum Explanation Video
Performance Designs Vice President John LeBlanc gives an explanation of the events that took place in the approval of the larger sized Optimums.
- Large Meaning
Video shows what large means. Of considerable or relatively great size or extent.. Abundant; ample.. Full in statement; diffuse; profuse.. large pronunciation.
- Katie and Mallory Talk: Pope John Paul II had a large vocabulary
- Showing Off a Large Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Book Large
- Hsing Yi - Equatorial Stance - Large Explanation
- Emma shows off her large vocabulary
- What's New In SolidCAM 2013: Quick Definition Of Large Parts
This recording demonstrates how SolidCAM handles very large parts. The part used in this recording is 72mega bites.
- Large Biofilter Explanation
Ethan shows the path of water starting in the fish tank, going through the filter, watering the plants, and returning to the tank.
- CERN'S Large Hadron Collider(LHC) Experiment's Animated Explanation
A spectacular animated explanation of the CERN'S experiment on the evolution of universe using a simple hydrogen source as proton provider for the entire ...
- !!AS 'SUPERMOON' LOOMS LARGE, MANY PONDER MEANING!! 2011
- True Meaning of Christmas - Large
- Interval Explanation Large
- ESL Teaching - Large Classes
- Man with large language
- Large Scale Heron's Fountain Description
via YouTube Capture.
- Language of Mathematics II (56): Simplifying Large Radicals
Support this project by making a DONATION at...
- Unboxing Ankaka Large Size English Dictionary Book Security Cash Lock Box - Locker and key
- Briggs & Riley Verb - Roam Large Rolling Case SKU:#7924323
- High speed large flush deck cargo vessel -Maritime Shipping Shipbuilding PICTURE DICTIONARY
- Briggs & Riley Verb Roam Large Rolling Laptop Case
- Product Description For The Cuisinart Large Pusher and Sleeve Assembly DLC-018BAGTX
A product overview of the Cuisinart DLC-018BAGTX large pusher and sleeve assembly.
- Description of how to download large files from "Google drive"
Description of how to download large files from "Google drive"...
- Education Book Review: Oxford American Large Print Dictionary by Oxford University Press
- The R language: Fast and efficient partial singular value decomposition of large data
Bryan discusses the new irlba package for R, showing how it can be used to compute a few singular values of the Netflix prize data.
- How to make silicone rubber mold for large culture stone (Brief description)
- Large Group Underwriter Job Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Large!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Large
Scrabble value of L1A1R1G2E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LARGE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Large!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Large to see it in context!