Kill appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Did Joe kill like O.J. did?
- My god is all I kill as I do gym.
- To labor in a mall, I kill a man I rob a lot.
Usage statistics for the verb kill:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun kill
- Definition of the verb kill
- Phrases with Kill
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Kill
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Kill
- Usage statistics about kill
- Photos about Kill
- Video language resources about Kill
- Sign language
- Quotes about Kill
- Scrabble value of K5I1L1L1
- Anagrams of KILL
- Share this page
Kill is sometimes a misspelling of killed.
The word kill is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun kill
What does kill mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- kill: kills
- Kill: Kills
- the act of terminating a life
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of kill: killing / putting to death
- more generic words: conclusion / ending / termination = the act of ending something
- more specific terms:
- coup de grace / deathblow = the blow that kills
- death = the act of killing
- mercy killing / euthanasia = the act of killing someone painlessly
- homicide = the killing of a human being by another human being
- despatch / dispatch = killing a person or animal
- fell = the act of felling something
- self-annihilation / self-destruction / suicide = the act of killing yourself
- slaughter = the killing of animals
- poisoning = the act of giving poison to a person or animal with the intent to kill
- asphyxiation / suffocation = killing by depriving of oxygen
- ritual killing / sacrifice = the act of killing (an animal or person) in order to propitiate a deity
- electrocution = killing by electric shock
- decapitation / beheading = killing by cutting off the head
- racial extermination / race murder / genocide = systematic killing of a racial or cultural group
- the destruction of an enemy plane or ship or tank or missile
- the body of an animal, or bodies of animals, killed by a person or another animal
Alternative definition of the noun kill
- The act of killing.
- Specifically, the death blow.
- The result of killing; that which has been killed.
- [volleyball] [rfdef, lang=en]
- A creek; a body of water.
Specialised definition of the noun kill
Glossary of sports
in racket games, to hit the ball so hard, with such skill or in such a direction that your opponent has no chance of returning it (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / badminton
a smash from near the net that cannot be returned (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
a smash from near the net
Glossary of sports / racquetball
a low, hard shot that bounces twice before the opponent can return it
Glossary of sports / table tennis
a shot on which the ball is hit as hard as possible, often with topspin
Definition of the verb kill
What does kill mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: killed | killing | kills
- cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly
- examples: This man killed several people when he tried to rob a bank | The farmer killed a pig for the holidays | They want to kill the prisoners
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Brutus murdered Julius Cesar [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Caesar killed Brutus with a knife [Instrument - concrete object] [Verb] [Patient] The DDT killed the insects
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more specific terms:
- annihilate / extinguish / carry off / eliminate / eradicate / decimate / wipe out = kill in large numbers
- decimate = kill one in every ten, as of mutineers in Roman armies
- drown = kill by submerging in water
- slaughter / massacre / mow down = kill a large number of people indiscriminately
- wipe out / erase = remove from memory or existence
- slaughter / butcher = kill (animals) usually for food consumption
- poison = kill with poison
- lapidate / stone = kill by throwing stones at
- poison = kill by its poison
- commit suicide = kill oneself
- dispatch = kill without delay
- vaporize / zap = kill with or as if with a burst of gunfire or electric current or as if by shooting
- sacrifice = kill or destroy
- take off = prove fatal
- tomahawk = kill with a tomahawk
- put down / destroy = put (an animal) to death
- saber / sabre = kill with a saber
- overlay / overlie = kill by lying on
- brain = kill by smashing someone's skull
- put to sleep / put away = kill gently, as with an injection
- neutralise / neutralize / knock off / liquidate / do in / waste = get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing
- exterminate / kill off = kill en masse; kill on a large scale
- asphyxiate / suffocate / smother = deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing
- strangulate / strangle / throttle = kill by squeezing the throat of so as to cut off the air
- decapitate / decollate / behead = cut the head of
- impale / stake = kill by piercing with a spear or sharp pole
- dismember = separate the limbs from the body
- martyr = kill as a martyr
- shed blood = kill violently
- polish off / bump off / dispatch / murder / remove / slay / hit / off = kill intentionally and with premeditation
- assassinate = murder
- put to death / execute = kill as a means of socially sanctioned punishment
- draw and quarter / quarter / draw = pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him
- lynch = kill without legal sanction
- shoot / pip = kill by firing a missile
- electrocute / fry = kill by electrocution, as in the electric chair
- cause: buy the farm / cash in one's chips / choke / conk / croak / decease / die / drop dead / exit / expire / give-up the ghost / go / kick the bucket / pass / pass away / perish / pop off / snuff it
- thwart the passage of
- end or extinguish by forceful means
- be fatal
- be the source of great pain for
- overwhelm with hilarity, pleasure, or admiration
- hit with so much force as to make a return impossible, as in racket games
- deprive of life
- cause the death of, without intention
- drink down entirely
- mark for deletion, rub off, or erase
- tire out completely
- cause to cease operating
- destroy a vitally essential quality of or in
Alternative definition of the verb kill
- [transitive] To put to death; to extinguish the life of.
- [transitive, fiction] To invent a story that conveys the death of (a character).
- [transitive] To render inoperative.
- [transitive, figuratively] To stop, cease, or render void.
- synonym: annihilate [informal]
- [transitive, figuratively, hyperbole] To amaze, exceed, stun, or otherwise incapacitate.
- [transitive, figuratively] To produce feelings of dissatisfaction or revulsion.
- [transitive] To use up or to waste.
- [transitive, figuratively, informal] To exert an overwhelming effect on.
- [transitive, figuratively, hyperbole] To overpower, overwhelm, or defeat.
- [transitive] To force a company out of business.
- [transitive, informal] To produce intense pain.
- [figuratively, informal, hyperbole] To punish severely.
- [sports] [rfdef, lang=en, topic=sport]
Specialised definition of the verb kill
Glossary of sports
to hit a ball very hard (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
to hit the ball hard into an area where the opponent can't reach it.
Glossary of sports / soccer
to bring a fast-moving ball under instant control (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / tennis
if a player kills the ball, he or she smashes it downwards so hard that its upward bounce renders it impossible to return (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- usage: slang
- also known as Kiru
- country: Japan
- language: Japanese Language
- producer: Tomoyuki Tanaka
- written by Kihachi Okamoto, Akira Murao, Shugoro Yamamoto
- cinematography by Rokuro Nishigaki
- music by Masaru Satoh
- genres: Black comedy, World cinema, Japanese Movies, Comedy, Action Film, Adventure game, Drama
- released on (46 years ago)
- "Kill" is the tenth studio album by American death metal band Cannibal Corpse, released on March 21, 2006. This release marks the return of guitarist Rob Barrett, who had previously played on The Bleeding and Vile. The European version of the album comes with a live DVD filmed in Strasbourg in 2004 called Hammer Smashed Laiterie. The album was produced at Mana Recording Studios by Hate Eternal guitarist Erik Rutan.
- "KILL" is the sixth album by Detroit rock band Electric Six.
- genre: Rock music
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Kill" is the 4th single of I've Sound singer, Mell. It is released on November 19, 2008, a year and almost two months after the release of her 3rd single. The title track will be used as the opening theme for Mamoru Oshii's live-action film entitled KILL while the B-side song On my own will be used as the ending theme for the same film. Since this single only reached #37 in the Oricon weekly charts and only charted for two weeks, this is Mell's weakest single to date.
- "kill" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "KILL" is a musical single of Mell.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Kill" is a musical EP of Despair.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Kill" is a musical EP of The Burning Room.
- "Kill" a.k.a. "Kill..." is a musical album of The Infections.
Who is Kill?
Kill a.k.a. Gil Seong-joon, better known by his stage name Gil is a South Korean singer and television personality. He is co-founder of Leessang. He has been a member of MBC's Infinite Challenge since April 2009.
- read more about Gil Seong-joon (comedian)
Kill is a musical group from Salt Lake City.
- kill: In computing, kill is a command that is used in several popular operating systems to send signals to running processes in order to request the termination of the process.
- Kill: As a body of water, a kill is a creek. The word comes from the Middle Dutch kille, meaning "riverbed" or "water channel".
- also known as Kill river
- Kill is a canonical version, musical recording.
Phrases with Kill
Phrases starting with the word Kill:
Phrases ending with the word Kill:
- to kill
- Top kill
- Bottom Kill
- Static Kill
- Mission Kill
- Penalty Kill
- Time to Kill
- Dress to Kill
- Mobility kill
Other phrases containing the word Kill:
View more phrases with the word Kill in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Kill
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Works of Maupassant by Guy de Maupassant
For to kill is the great law set by nature in the heart of existence! There is nothing more beautiful and honorable than killing! 30th June. To kill is the law, because nature loves eternal youth.
Embracing the Subsisting Provisions of the Constitution and Statutes as Contained in the General Statutes of 1906, Incorporating the Constitutional Amendments Adopted Subsequent to the Revised Statutes of 1892 and the Laws of a General Nature Passed at the Legislative Sessions of 1905, 1907, 1909, 1911, 1912, 1913 by Florida
An assault and battery with intent to kill Is an offense not embraced In the criminal statutes of Florida, nor is It known to the common law of England. Warrock v. State, 9 Fla. 404. One who assaults another with a deadly weapon, not having a ...
Understanding the lexicon (1988)
meaning, sense and world knowledge in lexical semantics by Werner Hüllen, Rainer Schulze
ttrrp- axe, for exanlple, the three English verbs kill, murder, and assassins“-. 1-H- uereas kill, following Mnzflawley, can be seen as 'cause to tile",2 nnrrdsr clearly is 'lti.llr ...
KILL FILL KERNEL MODETRAP:The (in)famous “blue screen of death” is a display image containing white text on a blue background generated by the Windows operating systems when suddenly terminated with an error; the system is ...
by David Shephard Garland, James Cockcroft, Lucius Polk McGehee, Charles Porterfield
Intent to kill, 21-132 . Actual intent not ...
Under the Codes and Practice Acts, at Common Law, in Equity and in Criminal Cases by William Mark McKinney
Where an indictment contained four counts, the first two charging an assault, in different forms, with intent to murder, the last two charging an assault with intent to kill, and the jury found the prisoner guilty on the last count, the legal effect of the ...
Giving the Derivation, Source, Or Origin of Common Phrases, Allusions, and Words that Have a Tale to Tell by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
is the Irish Kill ilara, church of the oaks. Klldare's Holy Fane. Famous for the "Fire of St. Bridget," which was inextinguishable, because the nuns never allowed it to go out. Every twentieth night St. Bridget returned to tend the fire. Part of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Kill
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about kill
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb kill:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun kill:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb kill:
Photos about Kill
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Andrea Pokrzywinski
In certain situations heroes will kill the enemy to save another.
Photo credit: mrbrimansons9thgradelit
(looks better full-screen than on the thumbnail.)
Photo credit: Xjs-Khaos
- Fish Kill
Oxygen levels went too low in the river, and millions of a certain type of fish (seen here) died.
They littered the banks of the river, the steps at the park from where the water rose, and were on the surface of the river as far as you could see. Very disturbing.
Photo credit: BLW Photography
- Smoking can kill.
Photo credit: Thomas8047
- KILL !
Photo credit: !Koss
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Kill
Click on an item to play that video:
- The scientific explanation of why people kill over TVs on Black Friday
- Cactank Quick Kill Explanation
- Kill Meaning
Video shows what kill means. To put to death; to extinguish the life of.. To invent a story that conveys the death of (a character).. To render inoperative.. kill ...
- Kelly Clarkson Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - HIDDEN MEANING
- Fish Kill Vocabulary - Jason & Maggie
- Fish kill vocabulary
- Kill off Meaning
Video shows what kill off means. To eliminate, or make extinct. To put an end to.. Kill off Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say kill ...
- 1v3 slang Kill by NinjoRulez
- Catastrophic kill Meaning
Video shows what catastrophic kill means. An instance of damaging a vehicle by weaponry that renders it both unusable and unrepairable.. Catastrophic kill ...
- Definition of clutch kill
Watch live at...
- Basement Jargon Ep. 46 - M-M-M-Monster Kill
- Hearing This Language Will Kill You
- Secret w33 Ultra Kill vs CDEC ESL One New York game 1
Dota 2 Tournaments...
- Lashon Hara (Derogatory Speech) - a Language that can Kill
This lecture delivered by Rabbi Elyahu Kin in 2009 discusses the serious and dangerous sin of Negative Speech including Slander, Defamation, Gossip, and ...
- Puppey Chen Harpy Kill - First Blood - ESL One Frankfurt 2014
Puppey of Na'Vi controls a Harpy Stormcrafter in order to get first blood against Evil Geniuses. CaptainEul Facebook...
- Dota 2 | Ultra Kill by LaKelz | SIG.TR vs FD Highlights ESL One
- Two Types of Powerless Language that Kill Your Credibility
- Kuroky Techies 30 Mins 11 Kill ESL ONE Frankfurt 2015 Unfogettable Gamplays Dota 2
- FAST Kill ESL 2 || Ciccaz
- ESL ONE:Pajkatt Axe Double kill
- Amazing Double Kill by Pajkatt.IG vs Mousesports.ESL One Frankfurt
- ESL One - mouz.Pajkatt first blood & double kill vs iG
See also the pronunciation examples of Kill!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Kill
You kill who might eat you.
You kill who might hurt you.
You kill who you want to eat.
You kill one in accident.
You kill one as punishment.
Can you dispense with killings?
29.08.2007 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about kill...
Scrabble value of K5I1L1L1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of KILL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Kill!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Kill to see it in context!