On this page:
- Definition of the noun hee-haw
- Definition of the verb hee-haw
- Other definitions of hee-haw
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hee-Haw
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hee-Haw
- Photos about Hee-Haw
- Video about Hee-Haw
- Quotes about Hee-Haw
- Anagrams of HEE-HAW
- Share this page
Definition of the noun hee-haw
What does hee-haw mean as a name of something?
- a loud laugh that sounds like a horse neighing
Alternative definition of the noun hee-haw
- The cry of an ass or donkey.
- synonym: bray
- [Scotland, slang] Nothing.
Definition of the verb hee-haw
What does hee-haw mean as a doing word?
- braying characteristic of donkeys
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - animal] [Verb] The dog barked [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Location] Birds sang in the trees [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Recipient] [Adjective] The rooster crowed everyone awake [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Theme] The dog barked a warning [Agent - animal] [Verb] at [Cause] The dog barked at the commotion [Agent - animal] [Verb] at / to / towards / for [Recipient] The dog barked at the cat [Location] [Verb] with [Agent] The tree sang with birds
Verbs of Sounds Made by Animals (with the same syntax): baa, bark, bay, bellow, blat, bleat, boom, bray, buzz, cackle, call, caw, chatter, cheep, chirp, chirrup, chitter, cluck, coo, croak, crow, cuckoo, drone, gobble, groan, growl, grunt, hiss, honk, hoot, howl, low, meow, mew, moan, moo, neigh, oink, peep, pipe, purr, quack, rattle, roar, rumble, screech, snarl, squawk, squeak, squeal, stridulate, thunder, trill, trumpet, tweet, twitter, ululate, wail, warble, wheeze, whimper, whine, whinny, whistle, woof, yap, yell, yelp, yip, yowl.
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of hee-haw: bray
- more generic terms: emit / let loose / let out / utter = express audibly
Other definitions of hee-haw
What does hee-haw also mean?
- The cry of an ass or donkey.
- "Hee-Haw": Hee Haw is a compilation LP gathering together early recordings from Australian post-punk band The Birthday Party. It includes all the tracks from the original Hee Haw EP and from the band's self-titled first album.
- also known as Hee Haw
- genre: Post-punk
- released in (27 years ago)
- "Hee-haw" a.k.a. "Hee Haw" is the second release and first EP by the Australian post-punk band The Boys Next Door. The Hee Haw EP was released in 1979 by the independent label, Missing Link Records.
- "Hee-haw" a.k.a. "Hee Haw" is a musical album of Adam Boucher.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Hee-haw" a.k.a. "Hee Haw" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Sheb Wooley
Hee-haw a.k.a. Hee Haw is an American television variety show featuring country music and humor with fictional rural Kornfield Kounty as a backdrop. It aired on CBS-TV from 1969–1971 before a 20-year run in local syndication. The show was inspired by Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, the major difference being that Hee Haw was far less topical, and was centered on country music and rural Southern culture. Hosted by country artists Buck Owens and Roy Clark for most of the series' run, the show was equally well known for its voluptuous, scantily-clad women in stereotypical farmer's daughter outfits and country-style minidresses, and its cornpone humor.
- begun on and completed on (22 years ago)
- country: United States of America
- created by John Aylesworth, Frank Peppiatt, Bernie Brillstein
- regular cast: Gailard Sartain
- genres: Variety show, Comedy, Sketch comedy
- some of the awards:
- People's Choice Award for Favorite TV Variety Program
- official website: www.heehaw.com
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hee-Haw
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Capricon Rhyming Dictionary (1986)
(aid to Rhyme) by Bessie G. Redfield
see „** Blue law, bucksaw, cat's-paw, caw, Choctaw, claw, coleslaw, draw, flaw, forepaw, foresaw, gew-gaw, guffaw, handsaw, haw, hee-haw, in-law, jackdaw, jackstraw, jaw, jig-saw, kickshaw, law, lockjaw, macaw, mackinaw, maw, outlaw, ...
by Eric Partridge
hee-haw . A donkey: nursery coll: mid-C.19–20. heel, hairy at the , see HAIRY ABOUT... heel- tap!, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hee-Haw
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hee-Haw
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Hee-Haw
Video shows what hee-haw means. The cry of an ass or donkey.. Nothing.. hee-haw synonyms: bray. hee-haw pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
Quotes about Hee-Haw
I was always very grateful to 'em and am grateful to 'em now. I went back a couple of years ago and did their 20th anniversary show. But the longer I stayed on Hee Haw, the worse things got for me musically. (Buck Owens)
more quotes about hee-haw...
Anagrams of HEE-HAW
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Hee-Haw!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hee-Haw to see it in context!