The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun grinder:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun grinder
- Phrases with Grinder
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Grinder
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Grinder
- Photos about Grinder
- Videos about Grinder
- Quotes about Grinder
- Scrabble value of G2R1I1N1D2E1R1
- Anagrams of GRINDER
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun grinder
What does grinder mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: grinders
- a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of grinder: bomber / Cuban sandwich / hero / hero sandwich / hoagie / hoagy / Italian sandwich / poor boy / sub / submarine / submarine sandwich / torpedo / wedge / zep
- more generic word: sandwich = two (or more) slices of bread with a filling between them
- grinding tooth with a broad crown; located behind the premolars
- machinery that processes materials by grinding or crushing
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of grinder: mill / milling machinery
- more generic word: machinery = machines or machine systems collectively
- more specific terms:
- cider mill = mill that extracts juice from apples to make apple cider
- coffee grinder / coffee mill = a mill that grinds roasted coffee beans
- flour mill = a mill for grinding grain into flour
- gristmill = a mill for grinding grain
- meat grinder = a mill for grinding meat
- pepper grinder / pepper mill = a mill for grinding pepper
- quern = a primitive stone mill for grinding corn by hand
- spicemill = a mill for grinding spices
- tread-wheel / treadwheel / treadmill = a mill that is powered by men or animals walking on a circular belt or climbing steps
- water mill = a mill powered by a water wheel
- windmill = a mill that is powered by the wind
- a machine tool that polishes metal
Alternative definition of the noun grinder
- [context: anatomical] A molar.
- A power tool with a spinning abrasive disc, used for grinding, smoothing, and shaping materials, usually metal.
- A sandwich made on a long, cylindrical roll.
- A kitchen gadget for processing coffee, herbs etc. into small or powdered pieces
Grinder is a village in the municipality of Grue, Norway. Its population is 233.
- also known as Grinder, Norway
- part of Norway
Grinder was a late 80's/early 90's speed metal/thrash metal band from Germany. They released three full length albums and one EP before disbanding. Grinder were the first international heavy metal act to play in Turkey, on May 12, 1990 at the Open Air Theater in Istanbul.
- genre: Heavy metal
- albums: "Dawn for the Living", "Dead End", "Nothing Is Sacred", "The 1st EP"
Grinder is a fictional character from the 2014 film Sabotage.
- "Grinder" is a composition.
- "Grinder" is a musical single of Monkeyfarm.
- released on
- "Grinder" is a musical single of NHB.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Grinder" is a composition.
- music by Monkeyfarm
Grinder: In ice hockey, a grinder is a player better known for his hard work and checking than his scoring. A grinder is often a player who has limited offensive skills, but is valuable to a hockey team due to physical forechecking skills especially along the boards; for "grinding along the boards". The grinder is not in the spotlight as would be the offensively skilled scoring stars, but they are often fan favorites due to their work effort in games. Thus the grinder is often the player who, by their willingness to endure the physical abuse of going into the corners to dig out the puck, often sets up the goals for the team's offensive stars. It is common belief in hockey that a good team needs a balance of scoring stars and grinders.
- also known as Hockey grinder
Phrases with Grinder
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Grinder
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Third IFIP WG 5.4 Working Conference, CAI 2009, Harbin, China, August 20-21, 2009, Proceedings by Runhua Tan, Guozhong Cao, Noel Leon
CNC grinder is a typical customized product. Customer will select the CNC grinder according to parts which they are going to produce. As the same time, CNC grinder is also a high degree modularized product. So building the flexible product ...
Therefore, no lens grinder is an astrologer. b. Every astronomer is a lens grinder. No astrologer is an astronomer. Therefore, no astrologer is a lens grinder. Syllogisms are classified according to figure as well as mood. THE CATEGORICAL ...
Whats For Dinner (2004)
by Gooseberry Patch
A veggie grinder is a wonderful spin on the traditional meat-filled sub sandwich. Load layers of veggie slices on kaiser rolls, then top with low-fat or no-fat Italian dressing. Stuffed Sweet Peppers Elsie Mellinger Annville, PA These crunchy raw.
Gunsmithing - Rifles (1999)
by Patrick Sweeney
A surface grinder is a neat tool, and a requirement for production work. Even for the single-job gunsmithing pro it is too much machine, too expensive and takes up too much floor space. Lust if you will, but don't buy. Just what is involved in ...
A Miscellany for Growing, Roasting, and Brewing, Uncompromising and Unapologetic by Shawn Steiman
Flat burr grinder Conical burr grinder is a significant range of particle sizes in the final product, leading to a less consistent brew extraction. Another concern about blade grinders is the risk of overheating the bean mass while grinding. Because ...
Recipes for the Best Beer-Battered Fried Chicken, Cracklin' Biscuits,Carolina Pulled Pork, Fried Okra, Kentucky Cheese by James Villas
MEAT G RINDER A meat grinder is an invaluable tool for grinding sausage, meats and poultry for spreads ...
by Wayne Goddard
A belt grinder is the easiest way to create the flat wedge that makes a blade what it is. Assuming the platen is flat, the wedge will be fairly flat. Using a grinding wheel creates a challenge in finishing because all those little grooves from the ...
A Sample Business Plan for the Potential Pellet Manufacturer by DIANE Publishing Company
Primary Grinder: A primary grinder is a particle reduction unit that reduces raw material into 1 1/2" to 2" by 1/ 4" ...
by Ian McColm
grinder. (1) A machine which pulverizes and reduces the particle size of materials by impact and erosion. (2) A machine ...
Navi - Ornithology
one individual complex grinder.' This never takes place simultaneously along the whole extent of the tooth in the Indian Elephant. Fig. 142.
A Reference Book of Machine Shop and Drawing Room Data, Methods and Definitions by Fred Herbert Colvin, Frank Arthur Stanley
The cup wheel L is for the Pratt & Whitney vertical surface grinder. The small wheels in group M are for internal grinding operations in holes of limited diameter . The larger internal wheel R is for the Heald cylinder grinder. Three forms of the ...
From Caedmon and King Alfred's Boethius to Browning and Tennyson by Samuel Orchart Beeton, William Michael Rossetti
— THE FBIEND OF HUMANITY AND THE KNIFE- GRINDER.
by Nikolas Davies, Erkki Jokiniemi
grinder a machine tool with a rotating mineral disc for shaping and smoothing hard materials such as stone, concrete and metals; see also bench grinder, angle grinder. grinding the removal of excess ...
Industrie-Lexicon von Rheinland-Westphalen. ... Nach amtlichen ... Quellen ... aufgenommen, etc (1875)
by Christoph SANDLER
Grinder (1830) and Inhaber: Joh.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Grinder
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Grinder
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Travelling Imageman
Photo credit: jamesonf
He's either out to keep people's blades sharp, or he's here to kill us all. Every weekend. Shot in Carroll Gardens.
Photo credit: jplpagan
Photo credit: ThreeIfByBike
Photo credit: trenttsd
Photo credit: Danielle Scott
Photo credit: bert_m_b
Photo credit: noii's
- Grinder ones
Photo credit: mayaslittleworld
- Porlex Mini hand grinder
Photo credit: skinnydiver
- Soul grinder again
Random images taken throughout the week on impulse.
Photo credit: jon_a_ross
- Grinder Swap
Photo credit: illustir
- Barley Grinder
Photo credit: keith.bellvay
- The Rail Grinder
Looking very alpine at Bristol Temple Meads
Photo credit: nicksarebi
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Grinder
Click on an item to play that video:
- Grinder Meaning
Video shows what grinder means. One who grinds something, such as the teeth.. A molar.. A power tool with a spinning abrasive disc, used for grinding, ...
- Mob Grinder A New Definition
- Dream meaning of Knife grinder
- Blanchard Grinder to Resurefaceing a 1800's Blacksmiths Anvil (Sorry about language)
Using Blanchard Grinder to Re-surface a 1800's Blacksmiths Anvil (sorry about language) ...
- CNC Dressing and Royal Master CNC Centerless Grinder Axis Description
CNC Dressing and Royal Master CNC Centerless Grinder Axis Description.
See also the pronunciation examples of Grinder!
Quotes about Grinder
Scrabble value of G2R1I1N1D2E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GRINDER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Grinder!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Grinder to see it in context!