Grab appears in the following tongue twister:
- Grandma Gabby Grammer grabbed a gram of gummy goulash.
If Grandma Gabby Grammer grabbed a gram of gummy goulash,
How many grams of gummy goulash did Grandma Gabby Grammer grab?
Grab appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Fox nymphs grab quick-jived waltz. (28 letters)
Grab appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Barge Dave, evade grab.
- No waste, grab a bar, get saw on.
- To grab an igloo, cool gin a bar got.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun grab:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun grab
- Definition of the verb grab
- Phrases with Grab
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Grab
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Grab
- Usage statistics about grab
- Photos about Grab
- Videos about Grab
- Sign language
- Quotes about Grab
- Scrabble value of G2R1A1B3
- Anagrams of GRAB
- Share this page
Grab is sometimes a misspelling of grabbed.
The word grab is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun grab
What does grab mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: grabs
- a mechanical device for gripping an object
- the act of catching an object with the hands
- example: he made a grab for the ball before it landed
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of grab: catch / snap / snatch
- more generic words: touch / touching = the act of putting two things together with no space between them
- more specific terms:
- fair catch = a catch of a punt on the fly by a defensive player who has signalled that he will not run and so should not be tackled
- interception = the act of catching a football by a player on the opposing team
- reception = the act of catching a pass in football
- rebound = the act of securing possession of the rebounding basketball after a missed shot
- shoestring catch = a running catch made near the ground
- interlocking / interlock / meshing / mesh = the act of interlocking or meshing
Alternative definition of the noun grab
Definition of the verb grab
What does grab mean as a doing word?
Grab is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: grabbed, grabbing
- take hold of so as to seize or restrain or stop the motion of
- example: Grab the elevator door!
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] She held his arm Hold Verbs: clasp, clutch, grasp, grip, handle, hold, pull, push, seize, tug, wield, yank [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] by [Oblique, body part] She held him by the arm [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Carmen bought a dress | Carmen obtained the spare part Verbs of Change of Possession: accept, accrue, accumulate, appropriate, borrow, cadge, collect, exact, inherit, receive, recover, regain, retrieve, seize, select, snatch [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from [Source] Carmen bought a dress from Diana | Carmen obtained the spare part from Diana
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of grab: catch / take hold of
- more generic words: clutch / prehend / seize = take hold of
- more specific words:
- get hold of or seize quickly and easily
- make a grasping or snatching motion with the hand
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] She held his arm [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] by [Oblique, body part] She held him by the arm
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- more generic word: move = move so as to change position, perform a nontranslational motion
- obtain illegally or unscrupulously
- example: Grab power
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] She held his arm Hold Verbs: clasp, clutch, grasp, grip, handle, hold, pull, push, seize, tug, wield, yank [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] by [Oblique, body part] She held him by the arm [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] The thief stole the paint Verbs of Removing: abduct, annex, cabbage, capture, carjack, confiscate, cop, emancipate, embezzle, extort, filch, flog, highjack, hook, kidnap, knock off, liberate, lift, misappropriate, nab, nick, nobble, pickpocket, pilfer, pinch, pirate, plagiarize, purloin, reclaim, redeem, repossess, rescue, rustle, salvage, seize, sequester, shoplift, smuggle, snatch, sneak, steal, swipe, take, thieve, wangle, wrest [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] for [Beneficiary] The thief stole the paint for Mary [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] The thief stole the paint from the museum [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] for [Beneficiary] The thief stole the paint from John for Mary
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- more generic word: obtain = come into possession of
- take or grasp suddenly
- capture the attention or imagination of
Alternative definition of the verb grab
- to make a sudden grasping or clutching motion (at something)
- to restrain someone; to arrest
- to grip the attention; to enthrall
- [informal] to quickly collect or retrieve
- Grab is a village in Bosnia and Herzegovina. According to the 1991 census, the village is located in the municipality of Ljubuški.
- part of Ljubuški
- Grab is a village in the municipality of Lučani, Serbia. According to the 2002 census, the village has a population of 315 people.
- part of Lučani
- Grab is a peak in northern Kosovo, on the border with Serbia.
- part of Kosovo
- Grab a.k.a. Grab, Kentucky: Grab is an unincorporated community in Green, Kentucky, United States.
- read more about Grab, Kentucky
"Grab" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Ulrich Bassenge
"Grab" is a 2011 documentary film directed by Billy Luther.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Billy Luther
- executive producers: Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato
- written by Billy Luther
- starring: Parker Posey
- cinematography by Huy Truong, Jay Visit, Gavin Wynn
- edited by Tracee Morrison
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (4 years ago)
- official website: www.grabthemovie.com
- Grab is an application created by Apple Inc. for Mac OS X, used to take screenshots. Grab is also present in OS X's progenitors NeXTSTEP and OpenStep. It supports capturing a marquee selection, whole window, whole screen, and timed screen. Grab can be found in the Utilities folder under Applications, or by typing in /Applications/Utilities/Grab.app in Finder. The Grab utility can also be found in the Finder as a menu item by selecting "Services", then going to "Grab". The only image format for screenshots taken by Grab is TIFF.
- developer: Apple Inc.
- official website: www.apple.com/macosx
- Grab: A grab is a mechanical device with two or more jaws, used to pick things up or to capture things.
- Grab is a Chicago, Illinois LGBT entertainment magazine. The biweekly publication is distributed free in the Greater Chicago area. Founded in 2009 by Stacy Bridges and Mark Nagel.
- Grab a.k.a. RAB3A interacting protein (rabin3)-like 1 is a gene.
- also known as guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rab3A
Phrases with Grab
Phrases starting with the word Grab:
Phrases ending with the word Grab:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Grab
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Impact of BRICS versus OECD by Evelyn Wamboye, Esubalew Alehegn Tiruneh
Land grab is an excellent example of poor and repressive elite governance in Ethiopia. Land grab means expropriation. The government expropriates and gives farmlands ...
Blue Future (2014)
Protecting Water for People and the Planet Forever by Maude Barlow
grain, “Squeezing Africa Dry: Behind Every Land Grab Is a Water Grab,” grain ...
Mastering Pike on the Fly (2004)
Strategies and Techniques by Barry Reynolds
The snake grab is the most humane way to handle pike in the water. This can be accomplished by grabbing the...
snake grab is a highly effective way to handle and control small and medium-sized pike. Larger pike can also be handled in this ...
Ethical Perspectives on Land Use and Food Production : EurSAFE 2012, Tübingen, Germany, 30 May-2 June 2012 by European Society for Agricultural and Food Ethics. Congress
A significant driver motivating land grab is the promotion of biofuels (Clancy, 2008). Even though biofuels are generally considered a sustainable solution, it is widely contested whether they escape potential negative effects (Thompson, 2008).
by Nicholas G. Pace, Finn B. Jensen
CASS/GRAB model CASS/GRAB is an active and passive range dependent propagation, reverberation, and signal excess acoustic model and is accepted as the Navy's standard model. The GRAB model's main function is to calculate ...
The Dynasty of the Kajars (1833)
To which is Prefixed, a Succinct Account of the History of Persia, Previous to that Period
t A grab is a prowed vessel." 1>2 DYNASTY OF THE KAJARS, 211.
The Digital Dialectic (2000)
New Essays on New Media by Peter Lunenfeld
Thus, this introduction is titled "Screen Grabs," the first of many such liftings from technical manuals. A screen grab is a quick and dirty way to capture an ...
by John S. Scott
grab, g. bucket An excavating attachment hung from a crane or excavator. It is a split and hinged bucket fitted with curved jaws or teeth (tines) which dig while the bucket is being dropped and move together to ...
The Encyclopedia of Surfing (2005)
by Matt Warshaw
A "rail grab" is when the surfer grips the rail for added stability. See also chine rail , egg rail, 50/50 rail, outline, the surfboard, tucked-under rail. Rail grab by Hawaii's Bruce Irons tions— single- or double-handed — while in flight; gouging ...
by William Safire
power grab politicians.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Grab
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about grab
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun grab:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb grab:
Photos about Grab
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: -Jérôme-
Photo credit: Gribiche
Photo credit: Marcus Q
He keeps a short leash.
Photo credit: mliu92
Photo credit: salimfadhley
Photo credit: illustir
Photo credit: captain.orange
Photo credit: sebastianmichalke
- Nice grab, nice weather !
Un joli grab par un joli temps !
Photo credit: MunsterNet
- Grab Husle
Photo credit: jaroh
- Harry being a Grab
Photo credit: wolfm49
- Wrestling Head Grab
Photo credit: Paolo Camera
Photo credit: Tanja de Bie
- Better grab a life jacket
Photo credit: David Yahl
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Grab
Click on an item to play that video:
- 2. How to Grab Vocabulary from Translated Book A&E
- Push Technique defense -- kimono grab explanation
- 1.How to Grab Vocabulary from Translated Books A&E
Part 1: How to grasp vocabulary from Translated books that have in them Arabic and English like Matoon (texts , Buluguh al Maram , Concise of al Bukharee and ...
- Grab Meaning
Video shows what grab means. To grip suddenly; to seize; to clutch.. To make a sudden grasping or clutching motion (at something).. To restrain someone; to ...
- UDC Terminology: Plank Grab
- Rep. Mike Kelly demands explanation for Obama's power grab
- Zod Trait Grab Cancels Tutorial+Explanation
- Grab bag Meaning
Video shows what grab bag means. a gift, purchase, etc. whose contents are concealed until after a selection is made. any random assortment, selection or ...
- Idiom: GRAB THE BULL BY THE HORNS
- Idiom: Grab A Bite - Share by WaitASunflower!
- Explanation of "Grab"
- Smash 4 Advanced Tech: Dash Grab Cancel Glide Toss (CHECK DESCRIPTION)
This video showcases Mega Man's ability to psuedo wavedash, or Dash grab cancel glide toss(DGCGT) . The way to do it is as follows: Dash, Z(Grab), C stick ...
- Seize Vs Grab Vs Snatch - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- EFL-202 #The mother grab tale G.3 (No.56)
- ESL GRAB VIDEO1
- The Grab Bag Show: Description
- Grab a Dictionary
- Grab the colours - Language instruction
See also the pronunciation examples of Grab!
Build a Grab and Go Kit ( English with American Sign Language ASL )
Quotes about Grab
Stretch your hands as far as they reach, grab all you can grab.
more quotes about grab...
Scrabble value of G2R1A1B3
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GRAB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Grab!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Grab to see it in context!