On this page:
Definition of the noun gonadotrophic hormone
What does gonadotrophic hormone mean as a name of something?
- hormone secreted by the anterior pituitary gland and placenta; stimulates the gonads and controls reproductive activity
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of gonadotrophic hormone: gonadotrophin / gonadotropic hormone / gonadotropin
- more generic terms: endocrine / hormone / internal secretion = the secretion of an endocrine gland that is transmitted by the blood to the tissue on which it has a specific effect
- more specific terms:
- follicle-stimulating hormone / FSH = a gonadotropic hormone that is secreted by the anterior pituitary and stimulates growth of Graafian follicles in female mammals, and activates the cells in male mammals that form sperm
- human chorionic gonadotrophin / human chorionic gonadotropin / HCG = hormone produced early in pregnancy by the placenta
- interstitial cell-stimulating hormone / luteinizing hormone / ICSH / LH = a gonadotropic hormone that is secreted by the anterior pituitary
- lactogenic hormone / luteotropin / prolactin = gonadotropic hormone secreted by the anterior pituitary
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Gonadotrophic Hormone
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Peter J. Gosling
gonadotrophic hormone (biochemistry) The ANTERIOR PITUITARY HORMONES that promote GROWTH or activity of the GONADS, controlling the initiation of puberty, the MENSTRUAL CYCLE and LACTATION in females ...
Black’s Medical Dictionary (2017)
by Harvey Marcovitch
Pituitary hormones Growth hormone, gonadotrophic hormone, adrenocorticotrophic hormone and thyrotrophic hormones can be assayed in blood or urine by radio-immuno-assay techniques. Synthetic growth hormone is used to treat ...
A Dictionary of Ethology (1989)
by Klaus Immelmann, Colin Beer
Gonadotropic hormone Gonadotropin; gonadotrophic hormone; gonadotrophin. In vertebrates, hormones produced by the anterior pituitary gland ( adenohypophysis) that influence the activity of the gonads and thereby the secretion of sex ...
The Dictionary of Psychology (2016)
by Ray Corsini
A gonadotrophic hormone secreted by the pituitary gland that causes the rapid growth of a follicle in the ovary until it ruptures and ...
A Dictionary of Biology (2017)
by M. Abercrombie
Gonadotrophic hormone (q.v.) secreted by anterior ...
by Jean Mooney
gonadotropin hormone secreted by both sexes; promotes gonadal growth and function anterior pituitary gonadotrophin pituitary gonadotrophic hormone of hypophyseal origin chorionic gonadotrophin; CG; human chorionic gonadotrophin; ...
Dictionary of Parasitology (2005)
by Peter J. Gosling
gonadotrophic hormone (biochemistry) The anterior pituitary hormones that promote growth or activity of the gonads, controlling the initiation of puberty, the menstrual cycle and lactation in females and spermformation in ...
by Michael Kent
gonadotrophic hormone See gonadotropin. gonadotrophin See gonadotropin. gonadotropin (gonadotrophic hormone; gonadotropin) A hormone, such as folliclestimulating hormone or luteinizing hormone, that acts ...
Black's Medical Dictionary (2005)
by Bloomsbury Publishing
PITUITARY HORMONES Growth hormone, gonadotrophic hormone, adrenocorticotrophic hormone and thyrotrophic hormones can be assayed in blood or urine by radio-immunoassay techniques. Growth hormone extracted from human ...
A Dictionary of Nursing (2014)
by Market House Books
gonadotrophin (gonadotrophic hormone) ...
by Joanne Gray, Rachel Smith, Caroline Homer
gonadotrophic hormone a hormone which stimulates activity inthegonads. gonads a general term for glandsor organs ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Gonadotrophic Hormone
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Gonadotrophic Hormone to find many related words and phrases!