The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun going:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun going
- Definition of the adjective going
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Going
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Going
- Photos about Going
- Video language resources about Going
- Sign language
- Quotes about Going
- Scrabble value of G2O1I1N1G2
- Anagrams of GOING
- Share this page
The word going is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun going
What does going mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: goings
- the act of departing
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of going: departure / going away / leaving
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- breaking away = departing hastily
- leave-taking / farewell / parting / leave = the act of departing politely
- French leave = an abrupt and unannounced departure
- disappearance / disappearing = the act of leaving secretly or without explanation
- withdrawal = the act of withdrawing
- sailing = the departure of a vessel from a port
- embarkation / embarkment / boarding = the act of passengers and crew getting aboard a ship or aircraft
- exit = the act of going out
- despatch / dispatch / shipment = the act of sending off something
- takeoff = a departure
- euphemistic expressions for death
- advancing toward a goal
Alternative definition of the noun going
- The suitability of ground for advancing.
- Figuratively, conditions for advancing in any way.
Specialised definition of the noun going
Glossary of sports
the state of the ground as it affects ease and speed of movement, especially for horses in a race (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / equestrian
the state of the ground at a racecourse in terms of the amount of moisture it holds and how much give it has. In increasing order of firmness the going conditions are as follows: heavy, yielding, soft, good-to soft, good, good-to-firm, firm, standard and hard (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the adjective going
What does going mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more going / most going
- in full operation
- example: a going concern
- adjective position: attributive adjective (it occurs before the noun)
- similar: active
Alternative definition of the adjective going
- Likely to continue; viable.
- That attends habitually or regularly.
Going is a record label.
- "Going" a.k.a. "Going!" is the twelfth single by Japanese boy band KAT-TUN. It was released on May 12, 2010 by their record label J-One Records. The title track is was used as the theme song for the Nippon Television TV Show, Going! Sports & News, which is co-hosted by member Kazuya Kamenashi.
- "Going" a.k.a. "Going!" is a 2010 album by KAT-TUN.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Going" is a composition.
- music by Sven Grünberg
- "Going" is a composition.
- music by Sam Phillips
Going, track condition or track rating are the terms used to describe the track surface of a horse racing track prior to a horse race or race meet. The going is determined by the amount of moisture in the ground and is assessed by an official steward on the day of the race.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Going
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by E. Banks
Going Public 241 GLOBAL OFFERING Any NEW ISSUE of SECURITIES that involves selling, placing, and listing in more than one market, and which may involve more than one issuing CURRENCY. GLOBEX An electronic TRADING platform, ...
by Donald Rutherford
going. concern. (510). A commercial organization,usually afirm, whichis expectedto continue to operate for the foreseeable...
going. rate(820). A wage rate whichis regarded asthe acceptable pay at a particular time for an occupational group.
Answering at Once the Purposes of Rhyming, Spelling, and Pronouncing. On a Plan Not Hitherto Attempted ... To which is Prefixed a Copious Introduction to the Various Uses of the Work ... and for the Purposes of Poetry is Added an Index of Allowable Rhymes by John Walker
A feast upon going into a new house, s. Arrogating, part. The act of gleaning, or thing gleaned, s, Intention ; purpose ; sense, s. The aët of cultivating gardens, s, Inlaying steel with filver, s. Aperture; breach; dawn, s. The aâ of baptizing, s, The ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Going
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Going
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Stephen O
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Going
Click on an item to play that video:
- Going Camping Vocabulary Video
Video that describes some elements that are essential to keep in mind when going camping. It is a video designed for kids, whose age range from 10 to 12.
- How's it going Meaning
Video shows what how's it going means. how are you?. How's it going Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say how's it going.
- True meaning of "Going an extra mile" | 12/10/2015
Mrs. Nalini Sampathkumar tells us that the idiom, "Going an extra mile" is not working harder but to help others achieve their target as well, only on Mangaiyar ...
- GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN: A new explanation for pancreatic beta cell failure
- Vocabulary - Going Through Customs
Vocabulary - Going Through Customs.
- Slang Dome - Keep it going
This track was composed, arranged, recorded and mixed by Giovanni Privitelli in a couple of days at the end of june 2013.
- Aussie Slang - Going off - Australian Slang
Aussie Slang - Going off - Australian Slang Going off : good fun.
- Aussie Slang (Slow Version) - Going off - Australian Slang (Slow Version)
Aussie Slang (Slow Version) - Going off - Australian Slang (Slow Version) Going off : good fun.
- "The Idea of Eliminating The English Language Is Not Going Anywhere" - Baba Jallow
Professor of History, and the Director of African Studies Program at Creighton University, Baba Jallow, discusses Gambian President, Yahya Jammeh's ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Going!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Going
I am going
You are going
All are going
I will not be there
You will not be there
Nobody will be there
No vacuum will be there. (Gajanan Mishra)
more quotes about going...
Scrabble value of G2O1I1N1G2
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GOING
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Going!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Going to see it in context!