The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun giant:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun giant
- Definition of the adjective giant
- Phrases with Giant
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Giant
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Giant
- Photos about Giant
- Videos about Giant
- Quotes about Giant
- Scrabble value of G2I1A1N1T1
- Anagrams of GIANT
- Share this page
The word giant is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun giant
What does giant mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: giants
- any creature of exceptional size
- a person of exceptional importance and reputation
- an unusually large enterprise
- a very large person; impressive in size or qualities
- someone or something that is abnormally large and powerful
- an imaginary figure of superhuman size and strength; appears in folklore and fairy tales
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic terms: imaginary being / imaginary creature = a creature of the imagination
- more specific words:
- Argus = a giant with 100 eyes
- Cyclops = one of a group of giants having a single eye in the middle of their forehead
- giantess = a female giant
- ogre = a giant who likes to eat human beings
- Jotunn / Jotun = one of a group of giants often in conflict with the Aesir
- Mimir = giant who lives in the roots of Yggdrasil and guards the well of wisdom
- a very bright star of large diameter and low density (relative to the Sun)
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of giant: giant star
- more generic word: star = a celestial body of hot gases that radiates energy derived from thermonuclear reactions in the interior
Alternative definition of the noun giant
- [baseball] A player on the team the San Francisco Giants.
- [American football] A player on the team the New York Giants.
Specialised definition of the noun giant
Glossary of sports / gymnastics
a 360-degree swing around the high bar (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the adjective giant
What does giant mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more giant / most giant
- of great mass; huge and bulky
Alternative definition of the adjective giant
- Very large.
- synonym: colossal
- "Giant" is a 1956 American drama film, directed by George Stevens from a screenplay adapted by Fred Guiol and Ivan Moffat from the novel by Edna Ferber. The film stars Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and James Dean and features Carroll Baker, Jane Withers, Chill Wills, Mercedes McCambridge, Dennis Hopper, Sal Mineo, Rod Taylor, Elsa Cardenas and Earl Holliman. Giant was the last of James Dean's three films as a leading actor, and earned him his second and last Academy Award nomination – he was killed in a car accident before the film was released. Nick Adams was called in to do some voice-over dubbing for Dean's role.
- also known as غول
- country: United States of America
- languages: Spanish Language, English Language
- producers: George Stevens & Henry Ginsberg
- production design by Boris Leven
- written by Fred Guiol & Ivan Moffat
- based on "Giant" by Edna Ferber
- Elizabeth Taylor as Leslie Benedict
- Rock Hudson as Bick Benedict
- James Dean as Jett Rink
- Carroll Baker as Luz Benedict II
- Mercedes McCambridge as Luz Benedict
- Earl Holliman as 'Bob' Dace
- Alexander Scourby as Old Polo
- Rod Taylor as Sir David Karfrey
- Jane Withers as Vashti Snythe
- Paul Fix as Dr. Horace Lynnton
- Chill Wills as Uncle Bawley
- Dennis Hopper as Jordan Benedict III
- Sal Mineo as Angel Obregón II
- Judith Evelyn as Mrs. Nancy Lynnton
- Robert Nichols as Mort 'Pinky' Snythe
- Fran Bennett as Judy Benedict
- Charles Watts as Judge Oliver Whiteside
- Elsa Cárdenas as Juana Guerra Benedict
- Carolyn Craig as Lacey Lynnton
- Monte Hale as Bale Clinch
- Sheb Wooley as Gabe Target
- Mary Ann Edwards as Adarene Clinch
- Victor Millan as Angel Obregón Sr.
- Mickey Simpson as Sarge
- Pilar Del Rey as Mrs. Obregón
- Maurice Jara as Dr. Guerra
- Noreen Nash as Lona Lane
- Ray Whitley as Watts
- Napoleon Whiting as Jefferson Swazey
- Nick Adams as Jett Rink
- Perfideo Aguilar as Jordan Benedict IV
- Elsa Aguirre
- Fernando Alvarado as Busboy #1
- Eddie Baker as Gov. North
- Barbara Barrie as Mary Lou Decker
- Ray Bennett as Dr. Borneholm
- Dave Bishop as Jordan Benedict III
- Richard Bishop as Jordan Benedict III
- Claudia Bryar as Older Beauty Operator
- John Caler as Driver
- Georgann Cashen as Judy Benedict
- Mary Ann Cashen as Judy Benedict
- Pat Cortland as Vashti's Daughter #1
- Colleen Crane as Judy Benedict II
- Marlene Crane as Judy Benedict II
- Highland Dale as War Winds
- Dana Dillaway as Judy Benedict
- Tex Driscoll as Clay Hodgins Sr.
- George Dunn as Vern Decker
- Pete Dunn
- casting by Hoyt Bowers
- cinematography by William C. Mellor
- edited by William Hornbeck, Philip W. Anderson, Robert Lawrence
- music by Dimitri Tiomkin
- costume design by Marjorie Best
- set decoration by Ralph S. Hurst
- locations: Marfa, Texas
- genres: Western, Romance Film, Drama
- subject: Racism
- tagline: The legendary epic that's as big as Texas.
- rating: G (USA)
- released on (58 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Actor (Role: Jett Rink) nomination for James Dean
- Academy Award for Best Director nomination for George Stevens
- Academy Award for Best Picture nomination for Henry Ginsberg & George Stevens
- Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Role: Luz Benedict) nomination for Mercedes McCambridge
- Academy Award for Best Writing Adapted Screenplay nomination for Fred Guiol & Ivan Moffat
- Golden Globe Award for Best Director - Motion Picture nomination for George Stevens
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama nomination for Henry Ginsberg
- DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film nomination for George Stevens
- Academy Award for Best Production Design nomination for Ralph S. Hurst & Boris Leven
- Academy Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Moss Mabry & Marjorie Best
- Academy Award for Best Film Editing nomination for Fred Bohanan, Philip W. Anderson, William Hornbeck
- Academy Award for Best Actor (Role: Bick Benedict) nomination for Rock Hudson
- Academy Award for Best Original Music Score nomination for Dimitri Tiomkin
- Golden Globe Award for Best New Star of the Year – Actress nomination for Carroll Baker
- DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film, received by George Stevens
- Academy Award for Best Director, received by George Stevens
- Golden Globe Award for Best New Star of the Year – Actress, received by Carroll Baker
- Giant is a 2010 South Korean television series starring Lee Beom-soo, Park Jin-hee, Joo Sang-wook, Hwang Jung-eum, Park Sang-min, and Jeong Bo-seok. It aired on SBS from May 10 to December 7, 2010 on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 for 60 episodes. Giant is a sprawling period drama about three siblings' quest for revenge during the economic boom of 1970-80s Korea. Tragically separated during childhood, the three reunite as adults and set out to avenge their parents' deaths, their fates playing out against a larger tide of power, money, politics, and the growth of a city.
- also known as Người khổng lồ
- begun on and completed on (4 years ago)
- 60 episodes of 60 minutes each
- country: South Korea
- created by Lee Jin-seok, Kim Yang, JSpictures
- regular cast: Hwang Jung-eum
- genres: Historical fiction, Korean drama, Action/Adventure, Drama, Action, Adventure Film
- official website: www.tv.sbs.co.kr/giant
- "Giant" a.k.a. "Gigante": When Juan Pablo Rebella and Pablo Stoll unveiled their first feature, 25 Watts, in 2001, critics and audiences began to take notice of Uruguay's small film industry. That interest heightened in 2004 with their groundbreakingWhisky. Since then, a stream of new voices has emerged, many of them having worked on Rebella and Stoll's two features. On both the cast and crew lists of 25 Wattsand Whiskyare the names of filmmakers that the Festival has subsequently showcased, including Manuel Nieto Zas and Federico Veiroj. The latest filmmaker to appear from this community is Adrián Biniez, who makes his feature-directing debut with the fresh, laugh-out-loud funny Gigante.
- read more about Gigante
- "Giant" is a 2014 short film written by Salla Tykkä and directed by Salla Tykkä.
- "Giant" is a short film, directed by Yann Benedi & Celine Desrumaux.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- genre: Animation
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Giant" is a musical based on the 1952 Edna Ferber novel of the same name, with music and lyrics by Michael John LaChiusa and the book by Sybille Pearson. The musical premiered at the Signature Theatre in Arlington, Virginia in 2009. The story follows a ranch family in Texas over 30 years, and the effect of the oil boom. The musical premiered Off-Broadway in 2012.
- "Giant" is a book by Edna Ferber.
- also known as "Giant (Perennial Classics)"
- genre: Fiction
- subjects: Texas, New Age
- copyright: 1952
Giant a.k.a. Uber Immortal is a fictional character from the 2006 film 300.
- read more about Uber Immortal
- "Giant": 《Giant》는 배치기가 2005년에 발매한 첫 번째 정규 음반이다.
- artist: Baechigi
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Giant" is a 2006 studio album by Herman Düne.
- genre: Anti-folk
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Giant" is the debut album by The Woodentops.
- "Giant" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Giant" is a musical album of Johnny "Guitar" Watson.
- released in (37 years ago)
- "Giant" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Giant" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Giant" is a 1969 compilation album by Buddy Holly.
- released in (46 years ago)
- "Giant" is a musical album of The Membranes.
- released in (29 years ago)
- "Giant" is a composition.
- "Giant" is a musical album of Hexenbrutal.
- released in
- "Giant" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Melissa Etheridge
- "Giant" is a musical album of The Little.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Giant" is a musical album of Charming.
- released in (18 years ago)
Who is Giant?
Giant a.k.a. Big Show: Paul Donald Wight is an American professional wrestler, better known by his ring name, Big Show. Signed to WWE, Wight is a seven-time world champion, having won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship twice, the WWF/E Championship twice, the ECW World Championship once, and the World Heavyweight Championship twice. He is the only wrestler to have held all four titles. Wight has also won the WWE Intercontinental Championship once, the WWE United States Championship once, and the WWE Hardcore Championship three times.
- read more about Big Show
- Giant is an American melodic hard rock band that was formed in 1987. The band consisted of founding members Dann Huff and Alan Pasqua, and had Dann's brother David Huff on drums and Mike Brignardello on bass. The Huff brothers were part of the founding members of the Christian rock band White Heart.
- genres: Hard rock, Glam metal, Rock music, Heavy metal, Album-oriented rock
- albums: "Last of the Runaways", "I'll See You in My Dreams", "III", "Stay", "Time to Burn", "I'm a Believer", "Promise Land", "Live and Acoustic - Official Bootleg", "Don´t Leave Me In Love (CD-S)"
- official website: www.gianttheband.com
- Giant is a musical group.
- albums: "Rocker", "Badness / Crispy Rolls"
There are other groups with in their name, like Gas giant, Blue giant, Giant Crab, Giant Drag, Giant Sand, Giant Sons, I Am Giant, A Giant Dog, Frost Giant, Giant Brain, Giant Cloud, Giant Panda, Giant Robot, Giant Squid, Giant Steps, Plume Giant, 1 Giant Leap, Gentle Giant, Giant Robots and Giant Fingers.
Giant a.k.a. Giant, Richmond, California: Giant was an unincorporated community, now within Point Pinole Regional Shoreline, and annexed to Richmond in Contra Costa County, California. It lies at an elevation of 23 feet.
- read more about Giant, Richmond, California
- Giant is the English word commonly used for the monsters of human appearance but prodigious size and strength common in the mythology and legends of many different cultures. The word Giant was derived from one of the most famed examples: the gigantes of Greek mythology.
- Giant: In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, giant is a type of creature, or in third edition, a "creature type." Giants are humanoid-shaped creatures of great strength and size.
- GIANT was a magazine headquartered in New York geared to the urban music market. It began in October 2004 as a bimonthly publication catering to the interests of 20-something men, focusing on pop culture including reviews of video games, movies, fine tobacco, music, everyday happenings and celebrity interviews.
- Giant: A giant is an artistic gymnastics skill in which a gymnast rotates 360 degrees around an axis while in a fully extended position. It is performed on the uneven bars in women's artistic gymnastics and on the parallel bars and horizontal bar in men's artistic gymnastics.
- Giant is a 2012 off-Broadway theater production of the play by Sybille Pearson.
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical nomination for Kate Baldwin
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actor in a Musical nomination for Brian d'Arcy James
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical nomination for John Dossett
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Sound Design of a Musical nomination for Brian Ronan
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Musical nomination for Sybille Pearson & Michael John LaChiusa
- Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical nomination for Sybille Pearson & Michael John LaChiusa
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Book of a Musical nomination for Sybille Pearson
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lyrics nomination for Michael John LaChiusa
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Music nomination for Michael John LaChiusa
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Orchestrations nomination for Bruce Coughlin
- Giant is a 2009 theater production of the play by Sybille Pearson.
Phrases with Giant
Phrases starting with the word Giant:
- giant fir
- giant moa
- Giant rat
- Giant Tun
- giant cane
- giant clam
- Giant Coot
- Giant Coua
- giant crab
- giant fern
- Giant frog
- Giant Goby
- Giant Ibis
- Giant Loco
- giant reed
- giant star
Phrases ending with the word Giant:
View more phrases with the word Giant in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Giant
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James Pinckney Kinard
The completing word giant means the same thing as the subject. When a noun completes the predicate and means the same thing as the subject, it is called a predicate noun. A predicate noun is usually 1 in the nominative case. 1 See page ...
by Norman D. Willis
Giant. Fish. Singood signed on as a sailor on a merchant ship. After being at sea for several weeks, the ship was blown far off course by a storm and came within sight of what appeared to be an island. The captain and crew, including Singood, ...
by Kathy Charner
Materials Bread machine and ingredients The Giant Jam Sandwich by John Vernon Lord Large loaves of French bread Jam Butter Butter knives What to do 1. With the children, mix together ingredients to make bread and bake it in a bread ...
Written by Teachers for Teachers by Kathy Charner, Maureen Murphy, Charlie Clark
Written by Teachers for Teachers Kathy Charner, Maureen Murphy, Charlie Clark The GIANT Encyclopedia of Monthly Activities 1 447. r. > PopsicLEs. tiviti. u. SNACK AND COOKING V) MaterjaU strawberry juice (available in most health food ...
The Giant Encyclopedia of Transition Activities for Children 3 to 6 : Over 600 Activities Created by Teachers for Teachers (2005)
by Kathy Charner, Maureen Murphy, Jennifer Ford
The GIANT Encyclopedia of Transition Activities ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Giant
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Giant
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: nio_nl
Photo credit: yonolatengo
Photo credit: yonolatengo
Photo credit: carinny
Photo credit: sk8geek
- Giant Mountains Gazing Sun
Photo credit: daniel-a77
- Royal de Luxe Giant Spectacular
Photo credit: Radarsmum67
- Giant Cans
Photo credit: Ayleen Dority
- Meeting a giant turtle in Ecuador
Image available for use with a mandatory link to...
Photo credit: LanguageCorps.com
- Sleeping Giant
Another photo of the sleeping giant.
Photo credit: Chris Bellerophon Dotson
- Giant Bowling Pin
Photo credit: Steve Snodgrass
- Giant Harmonica
From 1938 Popular Science
Photo credit: j_bary
- Giant Redwood
Photo credit: foilman
- Giant Buddha
Photo credit: Cliffano
View more pictures about The Giant.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Giant
Click on an item to play that video:
- Blue giant Meaning
Video shows what blue giant means. a very hot and very luminous star that emits visible light in the blue portion of the spectrum. Blue giant Meaning. How to ...
- Faded Giant Meaning
Video shows what Faded Giant means. A reporting term to identify an event involving a nuclear reactor or radiological accident.. Faded Giant Meaning. How to ...
- GIANT ALIEN AND NASA-MYSTERIOUS SPECTERE-NASA EXPLANATION
Giant Alien-Mysterious Spectere-NASA NASA Explanation NASA LINK...
- Giant Meaning
Video shows what giant means. A mythical human of very great size.. Specifically, any of the Gigantes, the race of giants in the Greek mythology.. A very tall ...
- Giant Meaning
Video shows what Giant means. A player on the team the San Francisco Giants.. A player on the team the New York Giants.. Giant Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Gas giant Meaning
Video shows what gas giant means. A large planet composed mostly of gaseous hydrogen and helium, along with methane and ammonia, possibly with a solid ...
- Giant kettle Meaning
Video shows what giant kettle means. A pothole of very large dimensions, as found in glaciers in Norway (pit formed in the bed of a turbulent stream).. Giant ...
- Giant magnetoresistance Meaning
Video shows what giant magnetoresistance means. A quantum mechanical magnetoresistance effect observed in thin film structures composed of alternating ...
- The Vocabulary of Giant Skein Making
- Giant tube worm Meaning
Video shows what giant tube worm means. Riftia pachyptila, a large marine invertebrate found around the floor of the Pacific Ocean.. Giant tube worm Meaning.
- Giant Pencil Explanation and Demonstration
- Giant Combination Lock (Explanation) - Outbreak Gamers MC
- Giant armadillo Meaning
Video shows what giant armadillo means. The largest living species of armadillo,. Giant armadillo Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Full explanation of the Giant site multi search engine aciba.in
- Giant leap, quantum jump etc.have meaning in science.Work is anathema to pseudo devotees in India.
Why is India facing severe problems of poverty and shortages can easily be seen as due to the wastage of precious time in rites, rituals, ceremonies, dharnas, ...
- Giant Rock Vortex Light Language Transmission
The Lyran-Sirian Council delivers a light language transmission from Giant Rock, CA...
- The Last Giant boss fight, and Soul description
View more videos about Ice giant, Red giant, Giant cell, Giant star, Giant Panda, Easter giant, GIANT Center, Giant Quasar, giant sequoia, Giant Molecule, Giant Pangolin, Sleeping Giant, The Giant Claw, Giant Wood Rail, and Giant Forest Hog.
See also the pronunciation examples of Giant!
Quotes about Giant
So we see Edward as a young man on the road and he meets a giant and he brings the giant to a circus where he meets a Miss Calloway. He sees the woman of his dreams and I am the only one who knows who she is. (Danny DeVito)
more quotes about giant...
Scrabble value of G2I1A1N1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GIANT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Giant!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Giant to see it in context!