On this page:
Definition of the noun gentian family
What does gentian family mean as a name of something?
- chiefly herbaceous plants with showy flowers; some are cultivated as ornamentals
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Chironiaceae / family Chironiaceae / Coutoubeaceae / family Coutoubeaceae / Potaliaceae / family Potaliaceae / Saccifoliaceae / family Saccifoliaceae / Gentianaceae
- synonym of gentian family: family Gentianaceae
- more generic terms: dicot family / magnoliopsid family = family of flowering plants having two cotyledons (embryonic leaves) in the seed which usually appear at germination
- member of: Gentianales / order Gentianales = an order of dicotyledonous plants having gamopetalous flowers; Gentianaceae; Apocynaceae; Asclepiadaceae; Loganiaceae; Oleaceae
- genus Centaurium / Centaurium = genus of low-growing herbs mostly of northern hemisphere having flowers with protruding spirally twisted anthers
- genus Eustoma / Eustoma = small genus of herbs of warm regions of southern North America to northern South America
- genus Exacum / Exacum = genus of tropical Asiatic and African plants: especially Persian violets
- genus Frasera / Frasera = genus of North American herbs: columbo
- genus Gentiana / Gentiana = type genus of the Gentianaceae; cosmopolitan genus of herbs nearly cosmopolitan in cool temperate regions
- gentian = any of various plants of the family Gentianaceae especially the genera Gentiana and Gentianella and Gentianopsis
- genus Gentianella / Gentianella = genus of herbs with flowers that resemble gentian
- genus Gentianopsis / Gentianopsis = genus of fringed gentians
- genus Halenia / Halenia = genus of herbs of Eurasia and the Americas: spurred gentians
- genus Sabbatia = genus of smooth slender North American herbs with showy flowers
- genus Swertia / Swertia = genus of herbs of mountains of North America and Eurasia and Africa
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for gentian family
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Carole J. Skelly
Dicentra spectabilis bleeding heart Eschscholtzia califomica Californiapoppy Fumaria officinalis earth smoke fumitory hedgefumitory smokeoftheearth Gentianaceae [Gentian family] Centaurium erythraea bitterherb centaury centaury gentian ...
by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby
the gentian family. An order of dicotyledonous plants, most of which are herbaceous, though a few are small shrubs. Many of the herbaceous species are ...
by Franciscans, St. Michaels, Ariz
Gentianaceae (Gentian Family). — bfhlljai, (like deer's ear), Frasera speciosa. chll behetFol litsfogi, (plant with a yellow root), Frasera. chll behetFol nn&zigi. ( plant with a long root), Frasera speciosa. luzld chll (inlzf chil, witch plant), Gentiana ...
by Scott Elias, Cary Mock
Reading Courses ...
V GENTIANACEAE (GENTIAN FAMILY) Sabbatia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X Gentian. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - Obolaria (Pennywort). . . . . . . . . IX Menyanthes. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . VII Buckbean. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . II Limnanthemum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . VII ...
by Frances Tenenbaum
Gentian family, Gentianaceae. Treasured by gardeners for the rich ...
Chandler's Encyclopedia (1898)
An Epitome of Universal Knowledge ... by William Henry Chandler
species, widely distributed throughout the globe; commonly called the Gentian family. Gentiles. Nations; name given by Jews to the rest of tlie world, as foreigners destitute of true knowledge of God. Gentlemeil-al-Arm*. Bodyguard of the ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1910)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chisholm
GENTIANACEAE (the gentian family), in botany, an order of Dicotyledons belonging to the sub-class Sympetalae or Gamo- pctalae, and containing about 750 species in 64 genera. It has a world-wide distribution, and representatives adapted ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for gentian family
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about gentian family
If you need images about gentian family for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of gentian family to find many related words and phrases!